Cassandra

Cassandra

A Chapter by Pax
"

~ a glimpse of Cassandra's life and a little background of her....

"


Head chef: “Cassandra where the hell is your thoughts flying around right now? Do you mind, I need a focused assistant here. Don’t be such a waste of my time.”

Cassandra: “Sorry head Chef, I just feel disoriented lately, because of these wedding preparations.”

Head Chef: *sigh*“I know you have your priorities in life but when you’re at work, learn to separate your life to your craft. Cooking is not just a job it’s a craft to master. Don’t let me think that men are much better cook than women, because in terms of the art of cooking we are all equal as humans.”

 

Cassandra: “Yes sir. I’ll not disappoint you in this matter.”

 

Head Chef Tony is always been there for me. Since I started 3 year ago in his well-known restaurant. I started as a waitress. I was the first waitress here for he only allows men to work as waiters. He defies his rule by allowing me to work in his restaurant. Maybe it’s because I did helped him before. He almost jumps off the bridge because he found out that his wife was having an affair with his best friend. Quite common right! Glad I manage to persuade him not to jump (I had some experience on that matter, maybe because I didn’t manage to convinced my mother. Didn’t know either that she is capable of doing suicide or I can’t even blame that to my father leaving us in a depressing period of ours). I told Tony that if you love a person so much, set her free and don’t waste your time on hurting yourself. Life is too precious to focus on one love, find another that deserves better, like they say: there are tons of fishes in the ocean. Don’t end your life with one broken relationship. Go and find another that fits perfectly for a well matched soul. (Smiling remembering of what I said was a bit corny). It was such a coincidence that I lost my job at that very same day where I found Tony depressed and ready to die. He was in his late 30’s at that time and I was at my young 20’s. We never had a romantic relation but we both enjoyed as friends/brother-sister or even father and daughter. I think his the father I never had fully experienced. He was there when I meet Bone and Spine. The Brothers that had touch my heart in so many ways. Both were his regular customers. Reminiscing on how I meet the brothers made me smile and that’s another story… hmm… What am I doing lately? I feel some jitters in my veins. Some confusion that stirs my heart. I know that I love Spine very much. I just felt that I’m still not ready to commit maybe because of my first goal “career first before commitment”. But then that was altered as my heart was swept of its feet flying high towards Spine’s world. It’s a fast track love affair that I never expect after the broke up with Bone. Is it really meant for us to marry? Sigh! Why am I questioning my choices? This is right and it’s meant to be. It’s just wedding jitters.

 

Waiter: “Hey Cass, here a letter for you. It’s coming from a certain regular customer of ours.”

Cassandra: “What who is it?”

Waiter: “You know who.”

Head Chef: “Peter we have lots of dishes to prepare. Our little Cassie here just received a warning from me and I don’t want to repeat it again!”  *serious face*

Waiter: “But Sir, He’s our important customer.”

With that, our head Chef didn’t argue much anymore. I wonder what Spine’s hold to him. Maybe there is a huge favor going on between them. I better go ask him myself.

Waiter: “Cass wait! You forgot your letter”.

Cassandra: “Thanks Pete.”

Peter is a good boy from my next door neighbor. I tutored him back in college when he was still in highschool. Then his parents kick him out because he got in from a wrong side of a group. Maybe he got curious and tried everything all at once then ending up having a child and rehab in one month. I manage to give him hope that his parents took for granted. I took him to a rehab. Then when he got out, he went on search for his son because the mother of the child didn’t want the baby so she gives his son away to a certain orphanage. It was a messy situation at that time because when we got to the orphanage the child was already adopted by another certain couple. The orphanage has some certain rules not giving information without any authorization or real proof that his the real father. With that it takes a lot more hassle and money. That is why today he promised himself to work, study and saves up to find his long lost son. Sign! Remembering it makes me stress because of the tiring moments of search.

 

Pete as I call him, reminds me so much of my little brother who passed away long ago. My little brother was diagnosed with leukemia at the age 14. It was a hard period of mine. It was only me and my mother. My father runs away from us. And I found out from the news that he came from a well-known family in Britain, very rich and he has a family of his own. Oh god, imagine my horror and my mother’s shocked expression. From then on we never bother finding what’s his reason on running away from us or even bother asking money from him. We can stand in our own. I became a working student. My mom has two jobs in one day and my brother is suffering in the hospital. Until then the insurance can’t cover up the payload of the hospital bills and my brother decided to stop the treatment, because he overheard us talking to the doctor about he will only live for a month, that there is nothing more they can do. The cancer cells were on its critical level that spreads out through his lungs. He was on oxygen all the time. I was devastated to see his smile despite the entire painful journey he suffers. All we can do was support him all the way. I didn’t mind the hunger I felt at that time and even my mother was losing weight because of all the work loads and the hospital visits. After all that, my brother passed away before we could finish the last thing in the bucket list of his. He wanted to go diving to see some corals. But due to his lung problems and weak body it was check off, then I image he wanted to see the coral reef why not go to an ocean park with big aquariums. As we were set to go the next day, he passed away the night before the trip. Sigh… why am I remembering this memories… maybe because I want my brother and my mother on my wedding day.. oh mom I wish you two were still here… why do you had to die too after Kenn. I didn’t know you were too disperses to kill yourself. Why didn’t I see all the signs? I keep on blaming myself because of it. That I took you for granted and focused my attention to work and to my brother alone. I didn’t take care of you. I didn’t manage to check how your wellbeing was. How was your state, was too much for you. I guess I’m much stronger that you. A trait coming from my father. After graduation(highschool) I’m already alone with no one. So I manage to work in many restaurants around the city. Starting as a waitress then becoming an assistant cook. Enough about me… Hmm… a letter. What is it this time. Spine has a lot of surprises lately. Surprise visit to expensive gifts which I don’t need much. Now this letter….

 

Dear C,

Do you know what day is today? Do you know the date today? Well its March 17, 2013, right. Anyways I would like you to join me for a special dinner. Let Boy Thin over there cook the specialty for I want you alone just this night… Just tell him it’s another favor from me. Please dine with me.

~ S..

 

*smiling* Boy Thin, he always tease head chef with that name…. I wonder what is so special about this day; it’s not even our anniversary or my birthday or his. Now I see Spine’s eyes closed and seems that his concentrating on something.

 



© 2013 Pax


Author's Note

Pax
oh, its quite long... i never fully imagine that i can throw all the stories all at once... a little summary of here and there... if you have some confusion please do tell me... I'll fixed it right away... if you see some grammar errors please do tell me.. if not enjoy.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Wow, what a tragic backstory for Cassandra! I feel so sorry for her with her awful dad and poor brother and mother! I have to say, the description of her brother's ordeal felt so heartbreakingly real... Her relationship with the chef is interesting too... hard to be friends with your boss sometimes, i imagine... but curious too, to meet Spine and see what he has in mind for this evening...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pax

10 Years Ago

i can't thank you enough my friend... your feedback means so much... i am happy that you felt the em.. read more
Horizon K.

10 Years Ago

I'm so sorry for your mom dear Pax... i have people close to me that have fought those battles too.... read more
Pax

10 Years Ago

it's been 12 years in counting now... but i still remember it clearly... thank you...



Reviews

This is a great chapter. I like the thought of this one...with many lessons to learn. Well, Cassandra has taught me something relevant today...

Anyway, like your note and like what I wanted to do (to help), I've seen some small slips:

there *is *tones of fishes ----there *are *tons of fishes

for these night and I want you alone for just this night… for *this night. (Delete and I want you alone for this night or *tonight because you have said the invitation to join him in a special dinner which means only for the two of them)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pax

10 Years Ago

wow, i am so grateful my friend... thank you :)
Pax

10 Years Ago

hmm... would you mind in telling me what lesson was that you've learned from her ?
one sky

10 Years Ago

That one in the paragraph where she 's telling about Chef Tony...her counseling to that man when he'.. read more
Wow, what a tragic backstory for Cassandra! I feel so sorry for her with her awful dad and poor brother and mother! I have to say, the description of her brother's ordeal felt so heartbreakingly real... Her relationship with the chef is interesting too... hard to be friends with your boss sometimes, i imagine... but curious too, to meet Spine and see what he has in mind for this evening...

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pax

10 Years Ago

i can't thank you enough my friend... your feedback means so much... i am happy that you felt the em.. read more
Horizon K.

10 Years Ago

I'm so sorry for your mom dear Pax... i have people close to me that have fought those battles too.... read more
Pax

10 Years Ago

it's been 12 years in counting now... but i still remember it clearly... thank you...
Its good to see your writing chapters again. Which absolutely fantastic.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Pax

11 Years Ago

lol... you had send a lot of same review... thanks my friend... yes like i said to you in a message .. read more
Pax

11 Years Ago

how was it shep my friend... is it good or bad... ?
Shep

11 Years Ago

It was quite good but having trouble loading the page not sure if is because i am logged on in two p.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

399 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 17, 2013
Last Updated on August 24, 2013


Author

Pax
Pax

CDO - the city of golden friendship, Philippines



About
Dear Visitor Hello there! I am Willyam Pax from the Philippines and now residing here in Saudi Arabia for work. I am not a writer but a sensitive aspiring artist who expresses himself into .. more..

Writing
Never in mine Never in mine

A Poem by Pax


Ocean Ocean

A Poem by Pax



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


the false prince the false prince

A Poem by Pax


I am so blue I am so blue

A Poem by Pax