Three's A Crowd

Three's A Crowd

A Chapter by lawrence bear
"

Chapter Nine

"

9

 

Remnants I have evaded, take grasp of me. I am propelled through a wormhole, warping in time…

One time in my life where I wish, it was all only a dream.

 

It was the morning of September long weekend back in 1998. I was going on another fishing run with my uncle Tony. But people thought we were brothers, we looked alike, almost identical. Funny though, I sometimes thought we were. Giving we were only 12 years difference and a day apart for our birthdays.

Anthony Homer Beardy was born December 20th, 1961. As for myself, Lawrence Elwood Beardy was born December 21st, 1973. A good morning it was as he put it. He was never happier, when I was born. I was like a birthday present as he put it, and I was very close to him. We celebrated our birthdays together. I would purchase some Winnipeg Jets hockey tickets, and go and cheer on the Jets.

He would have a few beers, and get right into the game. I was just as loud. We’d scream at the referee on a bad call, and boo with the crowd. And cheer when they score. Tony had jumped up and forgot he was holding a beer. It splashed all over me, and I smelt like a brewery. When we went home I smelt as though I was the one drinking, he would laugh at my mother when she got all riled. When I look back now, I could see how he found that funny. My uncle was somewhat a goof ball. Which is why we were probably close, he could act like a ten year old again.

But that morning of September, things did not seem right. The weather that day was perfect, and that Saturday seemed as though the day would never end. It was early that morning he came over, and wanted me to go to town with him. Still tired I rubbed my eyes as we stood at the doorway. I asked him to come in for coffee while I had gotten ready. Still unsure why he came, he could have gone into Hodgson himself.

I made some pancakes for us, and we talked about the trip. He mentioned who was also coming and that was why he had to go get new gear? Like rubbers and gloves and other things. He never talked much, which seemed odd. He was usually the chatterbox. He would just smile and went on about his new son in-law. I frowned at him in disappointment; he should have talked to me about it first, before jumping the gun.

 

I had never said anything, maybe only in the back of my head. I was upset; now the money we get for the quota would be three ways now instead of two. But since it was his boat, I couldn’t really say anything. I had kept my head high, and hoped I would still get a higher percentage. I had poured the last of the coffee into a thermos for the both of us. Tony loved my coffee, and besides he would get cranky if I didn’t take any along.

So I mixed it up before leaving, and had grasped an extra cup for him as well. He grabbed my coat on the way out, and I had the coffee. I wanted to ask why he had invited his new so called son in-law. He never really saw Riana, besides it was none of my business. So I figure I’d better keep my mouth shut, before I enter a no fly zone. It was 9:AM when we left for town, curious but still no word from my mouth. I only enjoyed the ride that morning. The sun was shinning. The air was crisp. It was beautiful, I couldn’t ask for anything more. I sat back in his old ford pick-up, and enjoyed. He looked over to me and smiled, showing his teeth and he had something aglow about him.

With that warm smile, it was contagious. I smiled back, now feeling good. I asked why we needed the stuff, and why he needed another man for some reason. He sensed my anger within and simply said. “You need another hand.” I shook my head and wondered what he meant.

“What? We don’t need another hand. Things are fine with the two of us.”   

“I’m not going to be around for ever.” He had said.

“Are you quitting on me? You can’t quit. We’re in this together.”

 

He would only smile at me; there was something he wasn’t telling me. And I was thinking, “What is it he doesn’t want to tell me?” We had pulled into Jack’s gas bar. He wanted smokes. I knew something was amiss, but what? And why was he talking nonsense? We didn’t need another hand, and I didn’t like it one bit.

The same time, his ex wife had pulled in the driveway. He stood and watched as she pulled up to the gas pumps. When she got out, he went to her. I had waited in the cab of the truck with my window rolled down. I could hear them talking, but not make out about what. I lit a cigarette as I waited. I watched them as they talked. I thought they were arguing, but he was saying something else and she just nodded her head. He had grabbed her hand, and something he said made her cry. They hugged, after that they went inside. I hoped they would get back together, as he loved Nina a lot. His daughter Riana was his life. I thought maybe he was asking about her. When he had come back to the truck, I said nothing. If he wanted to talk, he would talk.

            When we arrived into town, it was near ten. We had gone to Home Hardware for the gear, where he purchased what he needed and then we headed towards Fisher Branch. I wasn’t sure why we were going, but it all didn’t seem right; I mean he grabbed what he needed. Why the extra trip?

“Hey,” He finally spoke. “What you say, we go for a beer huh?”

“Kind of early isn’t it?” I said as I looked at him.

“Nah,” He smiled. “It’s never to early to enjoy my time with my favourite.”

“Okay,” I smiled back. “You’re buying.”

“Why of course,” He grinned. “I’d never invite you, if I’d expect you to pay.”

“Not too much you know, we still have to go out in the morning.”

“No need to worry my boy.” He smiled as we parked in the parking lot.

“Ah, the old tavern.” I said as I stood yearning. “Brings back old memories.”

“Come on you thirsty buck. Before you wash the drive way.” He laughed.



© 2012 lawrence bear


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

That would be a special bond indeed. My "baby" brother is exactly 9 years younger then I am. We share a bond that is a lot different then that of the one that is closest to my age. The undercurrents in this are very sad and . . . hint at something bad to come.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Just a few typos I found:

The sun was shinning. (shining)

and he had something aglow about him. (I think I would change.
You said he was all lit up previous..so I'd add 'seemingly aglow or lucent'
instead)

knew something was a miss, (amiss)

When she had got out, (gotten) or (when she got out)

I could her them talking, but not make out about what.
(hear)

When we had gotten into town, it was near ten.
(When we arrived in town) or (When we finally arrived)

He got what he needed. And we then headed towards Fisher Branch.
(this whole section has too many 'got' words, so I'd rephrase;
He purchases what he needed then we headed to Fisher Branch)

** I'd curb my habit of turning to 'had got, had gotten' and play with
different words

favourite.” (favorite)

***

Just my suggestions to use or not :)

********

Sounds like twins .. these two 'brothers'
Hope to read about ex-wife and beef with 'son-in-law'
I hope uncle isn't plotting suicide!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

470 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 7, 2010
Last Updated on February 24, 2012


Author

lawrence bear
lawrence bear

Fisher River, Northern Manitoba, Canada



About
Thank you for visiting my place of work, I hope you enjoy what you read. I do try my best to entertain. My imagination runs wild at times, but I love the freedom. more..

Writing
Recap Recap

A Chapter by lawrence bear


Part Thirty Part Thirty

A Chapter by lawrence bear



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Mercy Mercy

A Story by Coyote Poetry