Red Sky

Red Sky

A Chapter by lawrence bear
"

Chapter Ten

"

10

 

Entering the bar, some old friends were surprised to see me. Since I rarely ventured out, they had called to us, to join them. Tony and I walked in the direction of them before he waved to the bartender to give another round. We sat there and drank as we talked and laughed, bringing up old times, and we sat there for what seemed like hours. But when I looked at the clock, only an hour had passed. I smiled to myself and hoped the day would never end.

Tony was buying everyone rounds at our table, the more we drank, and the more boisterous we became. But the bar keep didn’t mind, we were having fun. It seemed as though uncle was not getting tipsy, he drank as much as we did and he had kept buying the rounds. Before I knew it, we had sat there the whole day. Feeling we had enough, uncle bought one last round for the table before we departed and I was pretty smashed, as he had to help me to the truck.

I had fallen asleep on the way back home, okay, more like passed out. I tried to stay awake and talk some more, but the words were not coming out like the way they were in my head. Tony had only laughed and said for me to get some rest. When we had finally arrived at my place, he helped me on inside. I remember thinking, “I can’t feel my legs.” and they dragged behind me as Tony pulled me along.

Again I tried to speak, and once again gargles and mumbles came out. I was going to pay the price in the morning and I hate doing the nets hung over. I sat on the bed and uncle said to get some rest. That he’d see me in the morning and to have breakfast on when he comes to get me. I only nod my head and then I blacked out.

 

My alarm was beeping the next day, I barely opened my eyes and already I felt my head throbbing. I fumbled to shut off the alarm, as I now was sitting up in bed, my hands against my throbbing brain and my elbows had rested on my thighs, “Ooh, never again.” I struggled to stand up. And when I did, I felt like throwing up. I rushed to the washroom and just made it too, as I puked half my brains out. I was coughing and gagging, as tears formed in my eyes while my head was buried in the toilet. “Please God… make it stop.” And then I heave once more. I was feeling terrible, and when I was done crying, I stood at the sink rinsing my mouth out.

Then my doorbell rang,

“Another fine mess you got yourself into.” I looked at myself in the mirror.

Still feeling sick, I had went to the door and when I had opened it, uncle smiled and said, “Whoa, have a rough night?” He laughed.

“I’m not sure if I can go now.” I had said. “I feel terrible.”

“Hey, just do the nets.” He said with a smirk. “Let me worry about the quota.”

“I guess.” I said. “Sorry about the breakfast. I don’t think I can stand the smell.”

“That’s okay,” He grinned. “I brought you breakfast.” And he lifted up a six-pack.

 

Just the sight of it made me want to puke. He laughed at my reaction as I barely stood there, I felt weak and my stomach rumbled. I looked at him and told him. “Never again.” He only smiled and gave a laugh.

Walking out doors, I noticed the sky was pink and the sun was a blazing red, as it rose on the horizon.

“Wow, would you look at that?” I said admiring the view.

“Yeah,” Tony had said. “It’s really beautiful, isn’t it?”

I glanced at him, “Picture perfect.”

“I have never seen this kind of spectacle in all my life,” he added. “Sort of eerie and marvellous all at the same time.”

 

While we were cruising out to Goodman’s landing, to where our fishing shed was. My head pounded and those bumps he kept hitting never helped any either. I kept looking at the six-pack and the more bumps we hit, I had thought maybe drinking those would cure my headache. It was what we called “Doctor up.” And so, I grabbed one. Cracked it open a downed a good shot. Believe me, beer never tasted better at that time and it went down like water; I had two quick beers and felt a little better.

            When we arrived at the docks, I felt more alive after four beers. The sickness was starting to go away, as we were pulling up to the shed; I was surprised to see Riana there along with her husband. I didn’t like him already; he was cutting in on my hard cash. I mean I worked hard to get here, and now he waltz’s right in unearned.

I glanced at my watch and it was just after eleven. I felt sick again, only sick to see someone parade around like he owned the place. I tried my best to hide my hatred for the guy, as I was only being obsessive. But what would you do, and how would you feel? But really, I guess it was uncle’s way of closing the gap between he and Riana. Still though, he should have talked to me about it first. I have a right to know what’s going on don’t I?

“Hi Lawrence,” She had said. “This is my husband Christian.”

“Hey,” I shook his hand grudgingly.

“Now that you’ve two met. Lawrence, show him how we do the nets.” Uncle had said.

 

I nodded with a smile, but on the inside I was mad as hell. Not at uncle, but towards this dude. “Who the f**k does this guy think he is?” I thought to myself. I looked at him and smile. “You f*****g b*****d. You think you have it good don’t you?” I thought more of him. But because he is married to my cousin and she had nothing to do with this. I showed him how.

I don’t know why I hated him so much; he was only trying to impress uncle I suppose… Hell, it certainly doesn’t impress me much. And what kind of name was Christian anyway? Was he a churchgoer? Ha, the fruitcake that he is, and listen to me huh! I’m rambling about a guy I barely knew. I had developed a passion for the guy, yeah a passion all right… I f*****g hated him.

I was so upset at the guy and thinking he had taken some of my asset, I grabbed another beer and down it in one shot. I crumple the can and tossed it, I then reached for another one, and then I stopped myself. What the hell is wrong with me? I realized I was being jealous, and it was selfish of me, I mean; I had only enjoyed these times alone with my uncle. And now thinking this guy was taking that away, which is why I hated him so much.

            Uncle was like a brother I never had and he treated me like one too. And sometimes when people asked, “Where’s your brother?” I use to correct them by saying he’s my uncle.

But they kept using the term “Brother.” So I adapted to it and I eventually gotten use to it, and sometimes I caught myself saying, “My brother wouldn’t …” Mm, sometimes I’d wonder, we look alike you know. Almost like twins, and sometimes people would mistaken me for Tony.



© 2012 lawrence bear


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Ah yes, the green eyed monster. There is a saying here on the coast, well in SC anyhow, Red sky in morning sailor take warning, red sky at night sailor's delight. The red skys in this have me worried.

Posted 13 Years Ago


and the more we had gotten louder. (the more boisterous we became)
bar tender (bartender)

otherwise I would just reread through, slowly. There are
so place where there are commas, where shouldn't be
and periods ending sentences, before sentence is complete.

Otherwise, I can understand the jealous here.
But glad he is rethinking his attitude, for that is his
'brother's' daughter and would want her to be happy.




Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

423 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 7, 2010
Last Updated on February 24, 2012


Author

lawrence bear
lawrence bear

Fisher River, Northern Manitoba, Canada



About
Thank you for visiting my place of work, I hope you enjoy what you read. I do try my best to entertain. My imagination runs wild at times, but I love the freedom. more..

Writing
Recap Recap

A Chapter by lawrence bear


Part Thirty Part Thirty

A Chapter by lawrence bear



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..