Chapter One

Chapter One

A Chapter by Sheri
"

The main character, Amy, is introduced.

"

    “Amy! Hey, Amy! Wait up!”

    Amy stopped and turned to face her best friend as she ran down the sidewalk toward her. Susan was a brown haired goddess to the boys in their school. Her ocean blue eyes fit perfectly with her short, straight brown hair and fair skin. But Susan’s looks were all that were 'perfect' about her. She had a smart mouth and didn’t hesitate to speak her mind to others if they didn‘t do what she saw fit.

    She wore their school uniform: a white shirt tucked into a black ruffled skirt that reached just above the knees. Along with the uniform was a green ascot with matching green knee socks and brown shoes. This was a plain, but necessary outfit of the GreenWood Academy.

    At the moment Susan reached Amy, she stopped before her, placing a hand onto her chest. “A-Amy, I thought you were going to wait for me at your locker!” She cried through shortened breaths. She then straightened her posture, tapping her foot impatiently on the sidewalk as she waited for her answer.

    “I'm sorry, Susan. I guess I just forgot.” Amy answered, allowing her gaze to wonder up into the sky.

    Amy was wearing the same uniform as Susan. It went flawlessly with her straight black hair, which reached down to her shoulder blades. Her pale skin brought out the color of her emerald green eyes, now glistening in the light of afternoon sun.

    “Ah! How can you say that?” Susan exclaimed lightheartedly. She put her hand up to her left eye, pretending to wipe away a pain stricken tear. “You can't possibly forget about me so easily, can you?”

    Amy looked to her, giggling. “I'm sorry, Susan. I‘ve just been out of it lately.” She frowned at the thought of what waited for her at home. “Did I tell you Chris is coming home today from military leave?”

    “Eck, your brother? Why wonder you‘ve been in such a bad mood!” Susan exclaimed empathetically and the two girls continued to walk down the sidewalk toward Amy’s house.

    Chris was Amy’s annoying, older brother. He joined the military, hoping to use their educational programs and do some traveling around the world, but instead, ended up in a military campus only 20 miles from their home. Every time he would see Amy, he would make her feel as if she were his brainless little sister and he was the biggest momma's boy anyone would ever have the pleasure of meeting.

    “Yeah, but hopefully he won't be so bad this time.” Amy said an optimistic look crossing over her features.

    “You say that every time, Amy, and he hasn’t been nice to you yet, has he?”

    “No...”

    “Then stop hoping he will and ignore him.”

    “I wish I could, but he’s going to be here for two whole weeks-”

    Susan stopped walking as she took hold of Amy by the arm. “Then you know what to do. If he gets on your nerves, just punch him in the nose! That will definitely shut pretty boy's face!”

    Amy laughed. “I wish I could, but you know how overprotective my mother is of him. And my father, well, he isn’t really home much to take anyone's side.” She sighed as they began walking down the street. “Sometimes, I just wish I would disappear off the face of the earth, I bet everything will be better that way.”

    Susan walked out before her, stopping her once more. "Amy you can't think that way." She said grasping Amy's left hand in hers, smiling sweetly. "You are my best friend, and it kills me to see you upset like this all the time and when you say stuff like that, well, it makes me worry about you even more…"

    Amy looked into her friend's determined eyes. Even though she may have a bit of an attitude where everyone else was concerned, she had always been kind to her. That is one of the main reasons they had been friends for so long. Susan treated her as another individual, not as an outcast the way her family had over the years. She was truly grateful to her best friend for being there for her whenever she needed a shoulder to cry on.

    She returned her smile. "There's no need to worry Susan." Her tone was gentle and reassuring as she spoke. "It's true, I may say foolish things like that from time to time, but it doesn't mean anything." She gazed into her friend's worried eyes; Susan didn't seem to believe her. Amy brought up her hand, resting it upon her friend's shoulder. "Really, I'm not going to do anything stupid so don't worry about it alright?"

    Susan nodded as she turned away from her, sighing heavily. "My poor troubled friend…I believe you…" she said sweetly as she turned back to her, a bright smile replacing her worried expression. "Now, how about we move onto a more interesting subject?" She rushed over to Amy, placing her hands onto her shoulder. "Like that test I missed yesterday…I have to take it tomorrow so how about giving me some hints on the questions?"

    Amy shook her head amused as she looked into her friend's pleading eyes. "Oh alright…I guess I could help you a little bit."

    "Yes!" Susan squealed as she turned as she clapped her hands together before her. "You know, with me missing so much school I've been having some trouble with my classes."

    "Maybe you should make an effort to come to school then."

    Susan placed a hand to her chest again as she wiped a fake tear from her eye with the other. "How could you say that? I stay up all night studying; I can't help that I am too tired to even wake up in the morning to go the next day!"

    "Your kind of studying doesn't benefit your grades." Amy commented as she began to walk away from her.

    Susan's jaw dropped. "Hey, I resent that!"

    The two continued their long walk back to their houses as Susan defended her way of studying along the way. Amy tuned her out, however, not intentionally. Even though she told Susan there was nothing to worry about, she knew herself what waited for her once her brother returned home. She wasn't looking forward to it one bit.



© 2008 Sheri


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

189 Views
Added on May 18, 2008


Author

Sheri
Sheri

About
It has been a long time since I've been on this website. A lot of things keep happening but what are you going to do? I am fixing up one of my stories that is already on her and once that is finishe.. more..

Writing
Vanish Vanish

A Book by Sheri


Introduction Introduction

A Chapter by Sheri