Shameless Chapter Eleven

Shameless Chapter Eleven

A Chapter by Emma Marie Taylor

My eyes stare at the doors of the Switched House across the street. My throat tightens. I'm not ready. Suddenly self-conscious, I glance over at Jonah, who is staring sadly at me.

"C-can...can you um...go with me?" I ask sheepishly. I hate asking him to do this, but I just can't go in there alone. Jonah gives me his shy sidways smile. "Of course."

I give a nervous laugh, and step out of the truck on shaky legs. Jonah steps out the other side and hands me my backpack. I clutch it against my chest, as if it's a life preserve. Tell him your secret. The Voice echoes in my brain.

No. Jonah looks at me and smiles, "I'll be with you the whole time." I nod. Start walking. Jonah stays by my side, which gives the queasy feeling in my stomach a little ease. "Jonah..." I begin.

"Yeah?" he asks. Take it back, take it back, take it back! My brain shouts. I can't tell him! But its too late now...i have to tell him something. "My...um...I..."

"Someone is adopting you aren't they?" Jonah answers. I stop on the sidewalk and stare at him. "How...how'd you know?" Jonah looks down at the ground. "My best friend was in the Switched Program, he was as scared as you when he was adopted."

I blink. Jonah always seemed as a keep-to-himself kind of guy. "You always seem to be by yourself though.." Oops. I clap a hand over my mouth. Stupid, stupid, stupid! Jonah smiles and looks back up at me, "Um...yeah. A family from another state adopted him."

"Oh...Jonah I'm so sorry, I didn't mean-" "No, its fine. I get it." Jonah smiles, and continues to walk. I have no choice but to follow him.

We reach the door, and Jonah stops, looks over at me. "Ready?" I take a deep breath and swallow.

"Ready."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ *********  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Mr. Finnly smiles when he sees me. His eyes glance over at Jonah and he gives me a questioning look. I shake my head quickly and plop down in the chair in front of his desk. Jonah stands awkwardly by the door. "You're late."

I don't answer, just stare idly at my legs. "I see you brought a friend. Nice to meet you...." "Jonah Richards, sir." Mr. Finnly straightens his tie and smiles, "Nice to meet you Jonah, but this is kind of a personal matter and-" "No! I want him here. Please, Mr. Finnly?" I beg. I can't do this without Jonah here.

I know. I barely know the guy, but he is the only person at the moment who isn't pushing me to the edge. Mr. Finnly's eyes soften and he sighs. "Alright. Amalia? You can come in now." My glare darkens and locks on the door, my body shaking in anticipation. My eyes adjust into tunnel vision and soon all I can see is the doorknob, slowly turning.

Two long, pale legs step out on red high heels. My eyes travel from her legs to her skirt, a dark brown pencil skirt, then her shirt. A white ruffled blouse, and then, I'm staring at her face.

Her eyes soften with tears and her red lipglossed lips smile, "Hello Clarabelle."


"Hi Mom."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~   ********* ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I was four-years-old. The HexaWar had begun over nine months ago, and our previous home had been destroyed and used as part of the battlefield. Mom and I had been living in the woods. I wore a white dress. Mother had made it for me out of parachute sacks. It was so beautiful.

She told me she had to go get some firewood, and to stay here. I watched her long blonde hair flow in the wind as she headed out of the brush, and into the darkness of the woods.

Being the curious child that I was, I decided to follow her.

That. Was my first mistake.

My eyes followed the prints of my mother's feet and in silence I ran after her. I ran so fast that my white dress became tangled in the branches of a twisted tree. Tears streamed down my face. Look what I've done to Mama's beautiful dress! Angry, I ripped the dress fear, causing a tear in the delicate fabric.

I ran faster, without realizing the unnatural way the wind was beginning to pick up. I slipped and fell in a mudslide, and went sliding into open space. The outskirts of the woods beside me. "Mama?" I whispered.


Rustling came from in front of me, and out stepped my mother, her expression blank. "Mama!" I shouted, smiling, running after her. "Get her!" She screamed. Confused, I stopped running, and thats when the Soldiers attacked me.


"Mom! Mommy!" The wind blew through my hair pushing it in my eyes, but not enough to blind me from the sight of abandonment. I ran through the wind, my feet numb against the pine needles under my feet. I was aboutt to reach her when the soldiers pinned my arms behind my back, "Mommy! Please, don't leave me here! Mommy!" I stared into the eyes of the woman who once loved me, but now stood silently watching as I was stabbed over and over by soldiers. The wounds feel like nothing compared to the pain of betrayal I feel from my mother. The soldiers suddenly drop me, and take a vial from one's pocket, and takes samples of my blood. They walk over to my mother. As I curl up into a ball I hear the soldiers thank my mother. The last thing I see is my mother and the soldiers climbing into the hovercraft, leaving me there to die.

I didn't know exactly what happened then. But I do now.


My mother sold me out. I don't know why. I don't want to know why.

I just know that I hate her for it.


And now I have to stand here and pretend everything is fine, when inside I'm screaming for the mother I once knew. 


"I missed you so much, Clarabelle!" She tries to scoop me up in her arms but I slap her hands away. "Don't pretend!" I screech, tears streaming down my face. "Don't pretend nothing happened! You left me! You told them! You had them leave me to die! Your not my mother! You may take me home, call me your daughter, but I will never,  never think of you as a mother ever the same way again! I hate you! Do you hear me?! I hate you!" I scream. Jonah stares at me in shock. Mr. Finnly's mouth hangs open. My mother's eyes spill over with tears. Finally. She feels some guilt.

And with that, I slam Mr. Finnly's office door shut, and run out of the House, into the night air.

Sucking in gulps of sweet oxygen. I make a promise.

I will get my revenge.






© 2012 Emma Marie Taylor


Author's Note

Emma Marie Taylor
Please comment, review, and tell your friends! Love yall!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow that was an intense chapter. I actually got chills as her mother entered the room. I love that she had Jonah there with her. I cant understand why her mother would do that to her!
You

I agree with Belinda that each time a different person talks is supposed to be a new paragraph.

Posted 11 Years Ago


The only thing I can say is I like it! butt!!! I think a little thing you could do is separate what people are saying a little better, cause it gets confusing when it is all in the same paragraph or, line as you want to say.. =/ other than that I gotta know what happens next!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Gretchen Clarke

11 Years Ago

Butt? Well, then...
God I want to know who she is what she has... Its confusing!
I loved it though.. I want to read MOOOORE!!
Keep going!!
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


Emma Marie Taylor

11 Years Ago

LOL Thanks! Its meant to be confusing, I'm writing it like that and dropping subtle hints to the rea.. read more
Anonymous Girl

11 Years Ago

You are most welcome... I like that idea of hints nice.. Really want to find out who she is!!
Omg, I would deffinatly hate my mother if she did that to me! Good chapter!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Emma Marie Taylor

11 Years Ago

LOL thanks!
The Fallen

11 Years Ago

npp

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

276 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 29, 2012
Last Updated on September 29, 2012
Tags: science fiction, mothers, shame, chapter, short, mystery, drama


Author

Emma Marie Taylor
Emma Marie Taylor

Muncie, IN



About
I am fifteen years old. I am a sophomore in high school, and writing is my passion. I love poetry, books, novellas, short stories, limericks, lyrics, stories, journals, blogs, chapters, etc. I lov.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..