Shameless Chapter Seventeen

Shameless Chapter Seventeen

A Chapter by Emma Marie Taylor

"I won't tell her." He says, staring right into my eyes. I smile at him, "Thank you." He returns the smile, and goes back to his blocks, stacking them up one by one. "What are little brothers for?"

I flinch, taken aback. He used the b word. I try to hide my discomfort, "For an eight-year-old you sure are mature." Cyrus looks up at me with those wide green eyes of his, "Compared to you? Not really."

I c**k my head to the side, "What do you mean?" Cyrus sets his blocks down, and comes to sit beside me on the couch. "Mom told me."

A knot forms in my stomach, and I swallow the lump in my throat. "Why would she-"

"When I was little I remember her telling me she wouldn't mess up again, that she promised to protect me."

Tears prick my eyes and I look away from him, "At least she helped someone..."

Not wanting to show my pain, I get up and run upstairs, locking the door behind me.

                *           *           *

Cruel hands tossed me onto the ground of my cell, and I stumbled over, skinning my knee on the concrete floor. Tears blurred my vision and I curled up into a ball in the corner, shaking. Closing my eyes, I waited for the creak of the cell door. But instead, I heard the shuffle of feet, and the sound of another body being thrown on the ground beside me. With a clash, the door closed, and I sat in the dark, listening for the voice of the new prisoner.

"Hello?" The voice croaked. I flinched, and wrapped my arms around my legs. "I can see you. Please say something, I'm scared." Slowly, I lifted my head, and a gasp escaped from the mystery person.
S**t, I had thought. I quickly closed my glowing green eyes and dropped my head back down, letting my knotted hair shield my ashamed face. "Your eyes...they're....glowing!"

"I know," I growled, and snuck a peek at the person. A dirty face stared back at me, greasy blond curls peaking out, light against the moonbeam from the window. "What's your name?" he asked, scooting closer to me. My eyes landed on an ugly slash going up his right arm, crusted blood stuck to it. I looked up at his eyes, an eerie blue enlightened with fear. "C-clarabelle." My voice stumbled on the name, my voice hoarse from lack of use. "I'm Daniel...how long have you been here?" He asked, his voice shaking.

I counted the years in my head once more, "Six years." His eyes widened, and I looked away. I didn't need to be reminded of it. I knew. Even at the ripe age of nine, I knew six years was horrifying.

I looked at his arm again, "You're bleeding."

He grimaced, "I know."

On shaky legs, I stood up, ignoring his following eyes. I ripped off a chunk of my tattered dress, and took his arm. "What are you-"

Gently, I began to wrap his arm in the cloth.

When I finished he looked up at me, "Why would you do that?"

I knew it wasn't worth lying to him.

"Because...at least one of us should make it out of here alive."


© 2012 Emma Marie Taylor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Is He from the same batch of 9 kids she is? Definitely see the love door opening here.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Ooohhh lala!! Okay so she was locked up for six years?! What a cruel mother Clara's mother is!! If I was Clara.. I don't know what would I've done to get away from that evil woman!
Great chapter! Keep writing :)
100/100

Posted 11 Years Ago


Amazing chapter!! Is he a chrome too im a little bit confused can u clear tht up for me? And i honestly dont like her mother i mean she's horrible I would hate her all my life. Having to live in a cell for six damn years?! Thats horriblee I would probably freak out and act like a animal since i would be treated like one! Anwayss loveeeeee the chapter can't want for the next one

Posted 11 Years Ago


Emma Marie Taylor

11 Years Ago

Daniel is a Chrome, but not completely the same kind of Chrome as Clara...keep reading! and thanks!
The Fallen

11 Years Ago

Ooooo alright (: I will

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

186 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 18, 2012
Last Updated on October 18, 2012
Tags: science fiction, mothers, shame, chapter, short, mystery, drama


Author

Emma Marie Taylor
Emma Marie Taylor

Muncie, IN



About
I am fifteen years old. I am a sophomore in high school, and writing is my passion. I love poetry, books, novellas, short stories, limericks, lyrics, stories, journals, blogs, chapters, etc. I lov.. more..

Writing