Shameless Chapter Nineteen

Shameless Chapter Nineteen

A Chapter by Emma Marie Taylor

I stare out the window outside the cafeteria. Teens chatter around me but I block them out, concentrating on the world outside these walls.

 "Clara? Can I talk to you?"

I whip my head around to see Jonah, awkwardly standing there with his tray in his trembling hands.

I pat the seat next to me and swallow a clump of food, "Sure, whats up?" 

He breathes a sigh of relief and plops down next to me, he looks around and soon those winter ice eyes of his are staring straight at me. "Who's that kid thats been following you around?"

I hold up a finger, and finish chewing a bite of my hamburger. When i swallow, my voice is hoarse, "An old friend, he...erm...just moved into town."

Jonah stares at me for a moment, and I can feel my cheeks going red. "What?"

"I know him. I know him from somewhere. He's dangerous, Clara. You shouldn't talk to him."

That takes me by surprise, I look up at him and shake my head, "Look, Jonah. I've known Daniel for a long time, he's a total sweetheart, he'd never-"

"He's not sweet." His voice is low and dark and his eyes are narrowed.

He sees my shock, and his eyes soften, "Just...be careful, okay?" And with that, he's leaves, disappearing into the throng of laughing children.


                        *                   *                 *         

I stare up at my ceiling, my hands neatly folded on my stomach, my legs together in a straight line. "He's dangerous, Clara. Don't talk to him." How could quiet, sweet Jonah know funny, sweet, Daniel? Daniel had been in the Switched Program all this time...

Or that is what he said, anyway. I roll my eyes at my own thoughts, Daniel would never lie to me...would he?

He lied to you once, what's one more lie going to do? "Oh shut up, Voice," I snap. But I can't help but feel slightly uneasy about what the Voice said. It wasn't wrong...he had lied to me once...but that was to protect me, right?

A knock at the door interrupts my thoughts, it is Cyrus. "Mom wants to talk to you."

"Tell her I'm busy."

"She said-" "TELL HER I'M BUSY CYRUS," I yell, sitting up, my face turning purple. His eyes widen, and tears fill his eyes, "Cyrus...I'm sorry, I just-" But he already left.

                        *                *             * 

"What the hell is wrong with you, Clara? You made Cyrus cry!" she shouts. I don't answer, just look out the window of my bedroom, my eyes glazed over. "Clara. Answer me."

I take a deep breath, and simply, boldly, I say, "No."

Her hand wraps around my shoulder and I go into panic mode. I grab her arm and twist it back, and kick her in the stomach.

"Don't touch me!" I scream, and I run out the balcony doors, and jump off the railing.

I think i twisted my ankle, but I continue to run, I need to think. I need to think, I need to think. I need to think.


"CLARA! WHERE ARE YOU GOING?!" My mother shouts.

I continue to run through the neighborhood, wincing at the pain in my ankle.

I stop when I reach an alley way, catching my breath. "Stay away from her, do you hear me?" The voice is familiar, and i try to slow down my breathing.

"I can't." Another voice says. Also familiar.

"Why? Because of your little crush? Stay away from her, kid. She isn't what you think she is."

"You don't know what I think she is."

"No, but I sure as hell can guess."

I strain my neck to get a closer look, and a gasp escapes me.

For the voices belong to none other than Daniel and Jonah.


© 2012 Emma Marie Taylor


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Uh oh. I think Daniel really is dangerous, maybe already a trained killer. Anyways I'm confused cause when she first meets Daniel again it seems like she is afraid of him not thar he is sweet. Anyways I'm worried for Jonah

Posted 11 Years Ago


DANIEL AND JONAH!! TOGETHER!?!? Huh?? Its confusing!! First Jonah goes like stay away from Daniel then they are together!?!
Oooh quickly post next chapter I want to read what happens next!!!

Posted 11 Years Ago


OMG so suspenseful, They better not fight :O They both love her I can totally tell .-. Awesome chapter cannot wait for the next one

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Emma Marie Taylor

11 Years Ago

Thanks so much!
The Fallen

11 Years Ago

Your soooom welcome

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

195 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 20, 2012
Last Updated on October 20, 2012
Tags: science fiction, mothers, shame, chapter, short, mystery, drama


Author

Emma Marie Taylor
Emma Marie Taylor

Muncie, IN



About
I am fifteen years old. I am a sophomore in high school, and writing is my passion. I love poetry, books, novellas, short stories, limericks, lyrics, stories, journals, blogs, chapters, etc. I lov.. more..

Writing