Watch then Strike

Watch then Strike

A Chapter by Jennifer
"

The problem is festering here.

"
     Militia had taken over a federal building in Oregon. The recent chain of events had opened a can of worms and is kind of proving my argument that both Arab and American cultures are similar. What if it were happening here? 
     Daesh acted like a bunch of thugs with drive-by shootings. You would think that it would not happen here because a huge majority of people here carry a weapon in his or her car. They started attacking authorities and anyone involved with the law. This is something that is happening here every day. In fact, a police officer in Philadelphia was shot recently by someone who was supposedly part of the terror group. 
     These attacks are not limited to terrorists here. There is anti-police sentiment due to the fact that there is a copious amount of police brutality and people crying police brutality. Police officers are murdering people left and right with or without reason. In a way, the police who are committing these acts are the militia.  
     If you think about it, people are not really doing anything about ISIS in their own country because there is nothing they can really do. There are those who are running to protect their family. If they retaliate, their family will get killed. If anyone tells someone to leave the terror group, that person is murdered. They really do not have a legal system that will punish those who murder their family members. Not to mention, their law enforcement is just as corrupt as the law enforcement in the United States. 
     It is possible that they do not believe that there is anything that they can do. Which is similar to America because of a teacher or police officer does something wrong, nothing is really done about it.
     Many police officers have been going on a power trip because either someone has an attitude problem or they are recording them. This made it a bad idea to be giving the police military equipment. The other issue with giving the police military equipment is the fact that they do not know the difference between domestic terrorism and domestic distrubance. 
     When it comes to domestic violence they either do something or they don't. When there is violence between two people they will not do anything unless it is a domestic partnership between a male and female. When it is a domestic partnership, they have brought a tank over. In fact, they have been known to shoot someone's dog whether the dog owner is involved with a disturbance or not. 
     The police have had such a short temper that Obama had to step in and say no more military equipment and to put a video camera on an officer. Things have been so bad that the video camera does not do much except for get someone off the hook if they were wrongfully arrested. Or it can cause a termination for an officer where an arrest lead to a death. 
     While it leads to a termination, it may indicating that terminating an officer is not enough because of the riots and protesting. While civilians are being attacked by officers; officers are being attacked by civilians. So, a terrorist attack on the authorities may go unnoticed because everyone is attacking them. 
     This is a frightening thought because not only innocent citizens are being killed innocent police officers are also being murdered. It has come to the point where an officer has no choice, but to shoot when someone is not doing as they were told. Animals are being shot who are running loose when they should either be on a leash or inside the home. 
     There is a video of an officer being shot and killed by an individual who was pulled over. There are numerous videos of this. There were videos on television shows of people sicking their dog on an officer. People are out of control; what else are the police going to do? 
     In fact, there is an anti-government movement that is going on in our country right now. Like Daesh, these individuals think that they are above the law and do not need to follow any rules. They have no consideration of others and are willing to murder police officers. This is total anarchy and I do not believe that they understand what would happen if they faced someone with the same point of view as them. 
     Without the police or any legal system, there is no justice. There is only pain, anger, and disorder. There is more murder without criminals being punished. Just look at what is happening in Iraq. There is no sound legal system and everything is a mess. Is this something that you want to believe in? Isn't this something that our country despises? 
     It seems that America can see this caparison. They made fun of the militants that took over the federal building in Oregon. The armed militants appear to be similar to Deash because they are armed, do not want to work with the government, and they seem to believe what they do is God's will.
     Basically, this started with two ranchers who were jailed for their fire spreading onto federal land. Per the government, the sentence was not long enough so they extended their sentence. Some protesters gathered to support the ranchers who were jailed and they did not get what they want. 
     Some of these protesters (the Bundys) made headlines in 2014 in Nevada by staging a stand off  because the rancher racked up a million dollar fee by permitting to let his cattle graze on federal property. Because the government backed off and nothing came of it, the issue about violating federal law had escalated. They seem to think that if their offense on federal property went unpunished, the other rancher's should get away with it. 
     While this is happening, the federal government isn't doing anything again. Yes, wait to see what they will do first. Yes, we do not want another stand off like there was in Texas and Idaho. If nothing is done, this will happen again. These ranchers never learned anything the first time. 
     The other concern is that people are afraid that they will go down as martyrs. Wouldn't the government be setting a poor example by letting these militants do this? Iraq allowed it and now look where they are. Something needs to be done because another militant group came in and scared the militants who were occupying the building in the first place. 
     I can almost see it spreading now. Oregon will be Syria and California will be like Iraq. Californian refugees will be pouring into our states. People will start protesting against Californian refugees because they think they will take over companies only to bring them under. Damn them Californians always ruining the economy and being bad drivers! 
     To make things worse, the refuge is a Native American site. These militants are trying to steal land that belongs to a tribe. The government already stole the land and made the decisions on which land was considered a reservation and now some racist militants want to steal more? 
     There are reasons why there is federal property. This is property being reserved for the indigenous people who were here before us. This land is to be preserved for future generations. This land is something that everyone can learn from. This refuge is to preserve the flora and fauna. 
     When we permit people to out of control on protected property the ecosystem falls apart. I wrote a paper on a refuge in Senegal. People have come and gone with projects to rebuild the refuge and failed.
     The ranchers in the area had brought their cattle through the refuge and it destroyed much of the refuge. Poachers, drought, and fires have threatened it. This can cause famine because this places every living organism in danger. Without water nothing can live. If resources are depleted people suffer because they do not have anything to eat or drink. This causes wars because people will fight over the cost of rice and water.
     That being said, it is vital to protect a refuge. This land is not theirs for the taking. It is not theirs to be "giving back." There is a reason why there is land that is protected.
     They are also on a site that contains ancient relics. This is making the Native Americans concerned. I am not sure if anyone else is concerned about this, but I certainly am. It makes me think that they may impersonate Daesh by destroying these relics.
     I do know that the community is living in fear because there is a group of armed anti-government men in the area. If they are scaring everyone, wouldn't that be indication that they are not welcome? Perhaps this was why Daesh was so successful with taking over Iraq and Syria. People are not taking action.
     It is not just a cultural thing. It is not just the government not taking action. It is nobody taking action. These militiamen claim that they will leave if the community asked them to; why can't they ask them to leave?


© 2016 Jennifer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

49 Views
Added on January 10, 2016
Last Updated on January 18, 2016


Author

Jennifer
Jennifer

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have been writing stories since the first grade and published a couple of stories on Biblioboard. I earned an Associates degree in Communication Arts at University of Phoenix. You can also find .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Jennifer


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Jennifer