Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

A Chapter by Jennifer

     George thought he got a great deal on his house. The house was affordable and seemed profitable. The inspection did not catch many of the flaws that the home had. So, he was a little displeased with his purchase.

     They already moved in. It was already a challenge moving with his family. His wife Kathleen didn’t feel like moving again; she already unpacked most of their things. Their two daughters already settled into their new home.

     George decided to just begin work like he intended. There was land to sow. Or to do whatever he wanted with.

     He got up early in the morning and started up the tractor. It was still dark out. He drove out to the field. As he drove, he discovered that there was corn growing on his property.

     George parked in the front of the field of corn and stared at it with astonishment. This wasn’t here last night. He felt angry.

     He drove his tractor through the field and plowed the corn. When the corn field was plowed, he parked his tractor. He locked the garage and turned to head to the house.

     He stopped dead in his tracks. The corn was back and unharmed. George was overwhelmed at the sight.

     He went inside the house and told Kathleen. She smiled as though she did not believe him. They went to the cornfield with their daughters in tow.

     “When did this get here?” Kathleen asked. Even she knew that the corn was not there to begin with.

     Their daughters Melissa and Gemma ran around the corn oblivious to its mystery. Kathleen called their children and they went back inside. George made phone calls to the realtor and left voicemails for them call him back.

     Melissa and Gemma went back outside to play. Kathleen and George sat at the dining room table.

     “I think we wasted money moving here,” said George.

     “So, now what?” she asked.

     “I can’t work,” said George.

     “Can we try selling?” She asked.

     “I’m not sure,” he said.

     “We need to do something,” she said.

     Gemma stepped in to the kitchen, “Mom, we’re going to be setting up our booth for the maze.”

     “Okay,” Kathleen seemed exhausted. “Don’t forget dinner is almost ready.”

     Gemma stepped back out. George sat in thought, he could not figure out what to do. Kathleen went to the kitchen to finish making dinner.

     “Do you need help?” George asked.

     “I think I got it; it’s almost ready,” she said.

     “What maze was she talking about?” George asked.

     There is silence in the kitchen, “I don’t know. They must be playing a game outside.”

     “I hope they are not playing in the cornfield,” said George.

     Kathleen could see the corn from the main window. The girls were playing next to it, “They are playing in there. Do you want me to call them?”

     “Yeah, there’s something very strange about this field,” he said.

     Kathleen opened the window, “Melissa! Gemma! It’s dinner!” The girls didn’t hear her and continued to play. “We have to go and get them.”

     They went outside to get their children. As they walked to the field, the sky grew dark and there was a cold wind. They saw their daughters running in and out of the field. They put their lemonade stand next to the cornfield.

     “What are you two up to?” Kathleen asked.

     “There’s a maze in there,” said Gemma.

     “We are selling tickets to go through the corn maze,” said Melissa.

     George felt overwhelmed with fear, “I don’t think it is a good idea.”

     “Why not?” asked Kathleen.

     “I can’t tell you right here,” said George.

     “What’s wrong, dad?” asked Melissa.

     “We need to head back inside,” he said.

     Kathleen sighed with frustration, “You can’t tell our children why it’s a bad idea to play in the field? If it’s bad, you should tell them. How will they know if they are in danger? What’s going on?”

     “I left my doll there!” said Gemma. She ran into the field before anyone could say no. Melissa ran after her into the field.

     Kathleen glared at him, “what happened?”

     “I already told you I plowed this field down this morning and it grew back,” he said.

     “What does that mean? It grew back?” Kathleen raised her voice. “Maybe you thought you plowed it.”

     “No, I plowed this field and after I locked up the tractor the field reappeared,” he said angrily.

     “This is ridiculous,” she muttered about not needing this to be happening. She went into the field to find their children.

     “Wait!” George called after her. “You don’t think it’s weird that this field of corn grew out of nowhere?”

     “We probably didn’t notice it,” she said. She stopped and looked around. “Girls! Where are they?”

     “Over here!” said Melissa. “I think we’re lost.”

     “Great,” said Kathleen. “You should have said something.”

      They rushed to their daughters voices. They met each other around the corner.

      “Don’t do that again!” George raised his voice.

     “Don’t yell at them! You didn’t tell us anything,” Kathleen shouted. “Come on, dinners getting cold.”

     She led them to the outside of the maze. It was light out.

     “That’s weird,” George muttered.

     They headed toward the house noticed that the house was gone. The ground subtly shook. They heard rumbling. They turned around and saw a tyrannosaurus rex in the field staring at them with its fierce eyes.

     The tyrannosaurus rex opened his mouth and bared its sharp teeth. A loud roar bellowed from the beast. They ran for their lives back into the cornfield.



© 2022 Jennifer


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

31 Views
Added on September 30, 2022
Last Updated on September 30, 2022


Author

Jennifer
Jennifer

Las Vegas, NV



About
I have been writing stories since the first grade and published a couple of stories on Biblioboard. I earned an Associates degree in Communication Arts at University of Phoenix. You can also find .. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by Jennifer


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by Jennifer