Chapter 7 - Entering Academy City, Lupher

Chapter 7 - Entering Academy City, Lupher

A Chapter by Eisho Shu
"

Chapter seven of Ascension of Dimension Legend

"

Our destination is in sight. It took us two whole days to get here. Julien said normally it will only take one and half day even for inexperienced traveler. Me and James could have do it within that time but our problem is mostly Jack. He got into three more problems during today's travel. 

 

First one was like 30 minutes after we left the camp. Jack was very energetic and went slightly ahead even though the basic is to preserve our energy. On top of that, he was drinking water constantly. Honestly, that is the worst thing a person can do in the desert. We end up having the need to fill our water supply with magic.

 

The second problem was Jack got caught by a group of Pharaohs Crab. The crab is gigantic. The body is around 3 feet tall and 6 feet wide. The only weak spot it has is the mouth and Its… lower back. It took us almost an hour to deal with the crab until they run away. We did however have some food into our hand. 

 

The third is... rather interesting. We thought Jack step into another quicksand but... it was not. This guy actually found an undiscovered tomb and according to Kir and others, once Jack reports the tomb, he can receive 1% of money for any valuable found in there. Well, there is a chance that there is nothing much in there but he just got a head start. What happens inside the tomb is a story for another day.

 

As we are on a small hill looking at the city, it is huge. The city should be at least 3 miles in diameter. I thought the city might not be so big since the era of this world seems not very advanced, I was wrong. While we are getting closer to the city gate, Dirk suggests us to hide our title.

 

Dirk: "You guys should try to hide those titles you know."

 

Julien: "I don't think they have the ability to do that. I know everyone can hide their title but they probably don't know how."

 

Dirk: "Really?"

 

Me: "No idea how to do that. I can try though."

 

Yuuki: "Hmm..."

 

James: "Hide what?"

 

Jack: "Should be easy."

 

After we respond, we try to hide our title. Me and Jack somehow manage to figure out but Yuuki and James just can't. I guess the reason is because the two of us play more games than those two. This made us become easier to grasp some of this world's function? I'm not even sure how to explain but we all eventually manage to hide our title and enter the city.

 

So we thought, we are stopped by the guards.

 

Guard: "Halt! What business do you people have in this city?"

 

Dirk: "We just finished a special quest. These four are part of the quest objective."

 

Guard: "Understood, but we still need to give them proper first time entrance examination."

 

Dirk: "You guys heard to man, follow him now. We will wait in the quest house."

 

Guard: "Then once it’s finished, I will bring them there."

 

They nod at each other in agreement and we follow the guard to a room. This place looks like a waiting room.

 

Guard: "We will begin the first examination shortly."

 

Me: "First? There is more than one?"

 

Guard: "Yes, there are three examinations in total. First is to what race you really are. There are times when monsters and demons can disguise themselves as human. This is a test everyone has to go through when entering, with few exceptions. Second test is to determine if you have any criminal record. If any of you have criminal record above level 2, you cannot enter. Third one is because you four are new. One of the 10 great god's altar will determine your ability and potential. We will give you a pass according to the access grade. To enter the quest house will require an access grade of D or higher; or escorted by someone with B or higher access grade. Is my explanation alright?"

 

All four of us nod in respond and thank him.

 

After about 2 minutes after he left the room, this room start to glow really bright. The light is at the point where opening our eyes would hurt. This lasted about a good 5 minutes. When the light stopped, that guard walks back in. Though this time, he have a gray crystal ball in his hand.

 

Guard: "Everyone here pass the first examination. For the next one, please put each of your hand on this ball. This is your next examination."

 

Me: "I guess that ball will tell if we are criminal or not."

 

Guard: "Right."

 

I went ahead and put my hand on the ball and it turned green.

 

Guard: "Criminal level 0. Very good, you pass."

 

The same happen to Yuuki, James, and Jack. We seem to have pass both examination with flying colors. 

 

Guard: "The next one will be done individually. Who shall be first?"

 

Since Jack stand closes to him since he was the last one to take the criminal test, he went first. We waited around 10 minutes until he come back. When he comes back, he holds up a circular badge that is made out of mostly copper but with silver end. The badge has a D in the middle. I guess he got the access grade D. The same process is done with Yuuki and James. Both of them got access grade C. James look like is made out of iron with some kind of crystal. Yuuki on the other hand, the one she got look like is made out of ruby. Also, Yuuki's badge is a rectangular one; I wonder what the difference is? I can just ask the guard later.

 

Guard: "I can't believe none of you are below D. This is quite rare. Well, you are the last one, are you ready?"

 

Me: "Yeah, let's go."

 

When we are walking down the hall, I ask him the question I have earlier.

 

Me: "By the way, why is Yuuki's badge rectangular?"

 

Guard: "Oh that? It means she is able to enter the academy as a student. She still needs to take a practical test later though."

 

Me: “Oh, that must be nice."

 

Guard: "Yeah, anyone who is able to enter the academy will be treated with respect. Even some who dropped out are still respected by many. Also we are here; I cannot go in farther so please proceed by yourself."

 

I give him a nod and entering the door in front of me. The room is almost like a chapel and there are 10 altars around the room. There is also a priest looking person standing in the middle.

 

Priest: "Welcome to the Spirit Hall. Your spirit is waiting for your prayer."

 

Me: "What? All I have to do is pray?"

 

Priest: "Yes."

 

I sit down on the floor and pray. What am I supposed to pray for? I have no idea but I do want to change back into a guy. I'm not even sure if that is a prayer or wish, I'm not a religious person after all.

......

...

How long have I sit here? 10 minutes? 20 minutes? I open my eye and look at the priest. He looks really puzzled and does not know what to do.

 

Me: "Is something wrong?"

 

Priest: "None of the 10 spirit god has responded."

 

Me: "Maybe I'm not praying correctly"

 

Priest: "It does not matter how you pray, even an outrageous prayer such as sex change will be answered."

 

Me: "..."

 

Did this priest read my mind? Or is he able to hear my prayer... Either way, my prayer should be answered but there was no respond.

 

After a few minute, there is some commotion outside of this chapel. 

 

Man's voice: "Please stop, you are not in any condition to move around like this"

 

Old Man's voice: "I have to; there will be someone who can use the 4 divine altars today."

 

The priest told me to keep trying while he walks towards the door to understand the situation. I try to focus once more but I think I just can't do it anymore. God made a joke on my body and completely ignore me. Maybe I should just change my prayer to something like I want to become strong as god. I laugh at myself slightly but the old man that was yelling barged in.

 

Old Man: "Ohhh... Could you be the one?"

 

The only man said that while walking closer to me.

 

Me: "Pardon me?"

 

Old Man: "I'm sorry. I am the Arch Priest, Mardin Forkastin, of the south ward. I heard a divine message saying a great one will show up today. I think you may be the one if the 10 Great Spirit gods did not respond to you."

 

Me: "Unhhh... Sure?"

 

I am extremely puzzled with the current situation. Did I just become the main character who will receive some kind of power now? There are a lot of stories like that but this shouldn't happen in real life.

 

Mardin: "Follow me."

 

I am not sure if I should really follow this crazy old man but the priest from earlier is telling me to follow Mardin with a weird monkey style body language. He takes me to a small room deep underground. There is 4 alters with one circular altar in the middle.

 

Mardin: "Make your prayer to the altar in the middle. If any of the four alter respond then you may be the one. These four alter are to shrine Farest, Tinker, Livion, and Tarkas. Farest is a neutral divine spirit who become a god due to its ability to fuse with nature. Tinker is a wicket divine spirit that loves to alter everything. It became a god due to Tinker decide to alter himself into a god. Livion is a restless divine spirit. Livion can easily control one's life and change its destiny to its liking. Livion become god because she became Tinker's wife but after she becomes god, their relationship broke. Tarkas is... ..."

 

This old man just won't stop. I think if I try to listen to all the information about these 4 divine spirit god, it will take more than a day to finish. I decide to just make my prayer to the altar in the middle. When I start my prayer, I can feel a strong light glowing behind me a minute later.

 

Mardin: "Ah, AHHHHH. Mardin have chosen you. You were the one after all!"

 

After he said that, I open my eyes and look at where it was glowing. The light slowly dies away and what is left is a crystal... no diamond badge? The badge is also in a diamond shape. When I pick up the badge, a flash happens suddenly. Once the flash is gone, the badge now have a letter on it, A. Did I really just obtain something amazing? I decide not to think about this either. I think ever since I came to this world, I have put so many things behind my mind and just don't deal with it. 

 

As I am thinking about that Mardin tell me the importance of these badges.

 

Mardin: "Since you have a diamond badge, it means your potential is nearly limitless. You can become an extremely strong person. Mardin is a god who favors people who have great strength and kindness. I suggest you enter the academy as soon as possible. With a badge like that, you will be able to take the practical test for free."

 

I don’t think I’m particularly kind or strong but I just give him a nod and starts walking back to my friends. When I return, I explain my situation to them and surprisingly, they don't really care that much. Yuuki is only interest in beauty, James only want to keep his new body in shape, and Jack... I think he just want to have an easy life. After our little conversation, the guard from before lead us to the quest house.


© 2016 Eisho Shu


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice story. Things are really starting to get interesting.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 12, 2016
Last Updated on April 16, 2016
Tags: magic, school, action, swords, Fantasy, city, spirit


Author

Eisho Shu
Eisho Shu

Chicago, IL



About
I love games and anime. Then I pick up visual novel and eventually that got me into some Japanese light novel and Web novel. That is what brings me here to try and start my own story. My pen name is a.. more..

Writing