chapter 8 - Our Separate Way

chapter 8 - Our Separate Way

A Chapter by Eisho Shu
"

Chapter eight of Ascension of Dimension Legend

"

As we are walking down the road to quest house, a lot of people look at us as if we are some endangered animal. I try to understand why by look at us and them in detail. Ah... Our clothes stand out too much. After we meet up with Kir and others, we should probably borrow some money and buy new clothes.

......

...

We are now in front of the quest house. It actually looks like a guild house in several games I have played. When we are about to enter, the guard ask us to wait.

 

Guard: "Wait a second, I need to give you four something first."

 

Jack: "What is it?"

 

Guard: "I heard about you guys'... interesting position. Due to a law passed from the 7 star council, we are obligated to give you these."

 

After saying that, he gives each one of us a bag. When we look inside, there are coins in there.

 

Guard: "Five copper coins equal to one silver rimed copper and ten copper coins equal one hollow silver coin. Five hollow silver coins equal to one normal silver coin and ten hollow coins is equal to one gold rimed silver coin. Then ten gold rimed silver coin equal to one gold coin. That is how our currency works here. Each standard meal cost about 3 copper and a night at the inn cost around 8 coppers. Some inn may also include a meal but don't expect anything nice. Do you guys understand everything?"

 

We nod and check how much money is in here. There is 3 hollow silver, 4 silver rim copper, and 10 normal copper coins.

 

Me: "There is quite a bit in here."

 

Guard: "yes, but this is Lupher. Some of the daily needs are higher than other places. Especially when it comes to clothing, some better clothe can cost up to two hollow silver. Cheaper clothes can cost up to one hollow silver as well."

 

Me: "Ah, I guess this will only last us so long if we don't spend it carefully."

 

Jack: "Don't worry; we are at the quest house. We can just take a few quests and earn money, easy right?"

 

We all look at Jack, include the guard, and let out a sigh.

 

Yuuki: "Yeah, I guess you will definitely be alright."

 

Yuuki... I can't believe you just raise a death flag for Jack. I hope nothing bad will happen to him.

 

Guard: "Well then, I will take my leave now."

 

After saying that, he turns around and left. We also turn and enter the quest house. We can see Kir and others sitting at a table waiting for us. It looks like they also got some food ready.

 

Me: "Sorry, we took a while. Well, mostly because of me."

 

Dirk: "Because of you? What do you mean?"

 

Julien: "First thing first, sit down. We ordered food in case you guys are hungry. We did not have any decent meal during our travel after all."

 

I start to explain my situation after we sit and take a few bites into the food. They are a bit usual looking. Julien offer a drumstick that is something like a chicken, but the meat is pitch black. I know there is a bread of chicken called Silkie and its skin and bone are black. I heard the meat is a bit black but I don't think is completely black. Everyone who has this chicken looking thing eat it as it is. I guess they are safe and is not poisoned or anything. 

......

...

We finish eating and I also done explaining our situation.

 

Dirk: "Wait a second, so you badge you got is..."

 

I took out my badge and show them but Kir, Dirk, and Julien immediately shove my hand away.

 

Dirk: "Don't show that to people like that. You will bring nothing but trouble if people see what you have."

 

Julien: "You actually have the potential to become a S class, I can't believe it... Actually, you do have a lot of talent but this isn't funny."

 

Me: "S class?"

 

Kir: "Yes, remember we were explaining the 6 class level? There are actually two more above that. S class is for people who have reach combat power of 2000 or higher with ability power of 1600 or higher. After S class is G class, G class will have both powers at 3000 or above. There is almost no one reaching this class due to the time needed to reach this is at least about 70 years of training. The few people that reach G class are mostly considered as myth."

 

James: "How long would S class take?"

 

Kir: "The record right now is someone at the age of 39. He started training at the age of 14. Usually the minimum time it takes is 30 years but this guy was really talented. Though, those are the record for people from this world. Dimension traveler like you guys may be very different."

 

Yuuki: "So we can either become strong very fast or very slow."

 

Kir looks at Dirk since he is not sure if that is the case.

 

Dirk: "Kir, you really studied a lot didn't you. Anyways, the answer to that is yes. Originally, you guys came from a world with dead system, I thought it will be hard for you guys to grow stronger but... That doesn't seem to be the case."

 

Yuuki: "So we are faster than average then?"

 

All three of the nods in respond to Yuuki's question.

 

Me: "Oh where is the academy? I was told that I should go take the practical test for the academy. I think it is probably a good idea too."

 

Julien: "We can take you there; we are going back to the academy after this. But what are you three going to do?"

 

Yuuki: "I'm kind of interested in magic right now so I might go too."

 

James: "But that will make you into something like a soldier right? I don't want that..."

 

Dirk: "You got good muscle, why don't you go into the labor force? They pay pretty well if you can do the job well."

 

James: "I guess I can try that. Where do I go?"

 

Dirk: "Just go over to the help desk, they can help you."

 

James: "Thanks, I'll go now."

 

Me: "Well then Jack, what are you going to do?"

 

Jack: "No idea, I think I'll go to the help desk and see what there is for me."

 

Yuuki: "I hope you find something nice."

 

... Yuuki does not hold back. This is the second time today she raise such horrible flag for him. Jack have been the most unlucky one but the way she said it, just horrible.

 

Me: "Yeah... Good luck."

 

JacK: "Luck is always on my side."

 

After saying that, he walks off to the help desk. I guess we should get going too. We had agreed to come to the quest house every now and then since it is also a hangout place for a lot of people.

......

...

Me, Yuuki, Kir, Dirk, and Julien are now in front of the academy gate. Dirk goes in and explains me and Yuuki's situation so we can take the piratical test. Kir and Julien wish us luck and went on ahead. They are second year academy student so I guess they don't have that much time to spare, it is a school after all.

 

After about 10 minutes, Dirk along with two other people come to greet us. The one in front is a man who looks like an old classic businessman in his 50s.

 

Dirk: "This one here is Ron Franstin, he is a magic exam evaluation officer. He will do help you with your practical test, Yuuki. Since you already know magic, I thought a magic test is better for you."

 

Ron: "Nice to meet you miss, it is a honor to help a dimension traveler."

 

Yuuki: "Nice to meet you, I'm Yuuki Fumino."

 

Ron: "Shall we move to the practice area? We can conduct your test there."

 

Yuuki nod and follow Ron. Then the next person, she looks like a uptight knight. Though she is not as old as Ron for sure, but she should be in her late 20s. She does have some good fashion sense and despite the aura she gives off, she is quite beautiful.

 

Dirk: "This is Marin Tonwa. She was a royal knight at a early age but due to an injury, she had to withdraw from her position. She served at Kamin, one of the 7 star council member,so don't disappoint her."

 

Me: "I think you are overestimating me. I am not very strong at all."

 

Marin: "At least you know your place. People like you who also seek power, surely are not weak."

 

I don't think I will get along with her very well.

 

Me: "If you say so. Anyways, I'm Naomi Hajiura."

 

She gives me a small nod in respond then turns the other way.

 

Marin: "Follow me."

 

Me: "Okay."

......

...

We are now in front of the changing room.

 

Me: "Why are we here?"

 

Marin: "To get you some proper gear."

 

Me: "But I am not even a student yet."

 

Marin: "We are going to spar and you will need to wear something to protect yourself. I'm not very good at hold myself back."

 

Me: "Oh..."

 

I am a little bit scared when she says that, but I will just do my best regardless. It would be lame if Yuuki manage to pass with flying color while I just fail horribly.

 

As I am changing I tried picking up armor pieces that would fit me. I can't use heavy ones very well since that would slow me down. So far, all my practice is not fitted for heavy armor. I start picking out some light armor instead. The armor is not a perfect fit no matter what I choose. There is female one but those have skirt. I am not going to wear those even if those skirt length are almost covering my knee, I will not wear them. As I am about to finish changing into the male armor, Marin come inside to check on me.

Marin: "Do the armor we have fit you?"

 

After she said and looks at me, she sighs.

 

Marin: "Why are you wearing something that doesn't fit you? Take it off!"

 

Me: "Wait! I have a good reason for this."

 

Marin: "I know your reason so change into this!"

 

Me: "Wa... WAIT! Time out!"

 

I try to escape but she easily stopped me and when I try to struggle, she tied me up. I can't win against her at all. All I can do is let her change me into academy's female light armor.

......

...

She finishes changing and takes me to the sparing yard. Even though I know I am wearing a skirt, but the feeling is as if I'm not really wearing one. I keep trying to hold my skirt down even though it nothing is happening.

 

Marin: "Will you stop that? Your skirt is not going to disappear or anything."

 

Me: "Alright, so we are sparing here? Please go easy on me."

 

I ready myself as I say that and Marin looks like she is ready too.

 

Marin: "Don't worry, it is only a simple test to see if you are worthy for this academy!"

 

As soon as she as she finish talking, she dash into me. I could barely see her movement at all. We were at least around 20 feet away but she closed in in a blink of a eye.

 

I manage to receive her upward slash but I was pushed about 3 feet back. I can feel my hand getting numb just from that one attack. If I want to pass this test, I must show what I am capable of. I jump as far back as possible and while I am landing, I decide to use Iron Edge.

 

Me: "Iron Edge!"

 

But Marin just cut open my Iron Edge and nothing happen to her.

 

Marin: "So you know how to use Iron Edge, not bad. If this was a normal entrance test I would have pass you now but too bad this count as transfer practical test."

 

After saying that, she dash into me again like last time. I thought she might do this since this is a test after all. I side step and parry her attack then go for another Iron Edge. I thought I can do something to her this time but she flip her sword backward and block the attack.

 

Marin: "Nice try I can give you a passing grade I supposed but you can do more can't you?"

 

Me: "I guess sword skill like Iron Edge won't do anything to you at all."

 

Marin: "Who say that attack just now have no effect?"

 

She then points at her shoulder. It is ripped slightly, not really noticeable unless one takes a closer look. Though even with that, she still intends to keep this spar going. I guess I have to use Mana Bomb with Iron Edge together. But there is one problem, Mana Bomb projectile speed is not very fast and I need to detonate it. I never tried this but I guess I can try making it detonate on impact.

 

Marin: "That Iron Edge just now must be at least level 3. I bet you have other sword skill but that is impressive."

 

Me: "Yeah, Iron Edge is not the only skill i know! Mana Bomb!"

 

As I said that, I shoot out the mana bomb I have been gathering mana for the whole time. I fire the bomb at her feet hoping to at least disturb her vision a little. I charge into her with my Iron Edge right after I fire it. I put every ounce of strength into this attack.

 

She instead dash forward to meet with my sword. Marin does not look like she used a sword skill but she is able to meet my Iron Edge head on. She is just too strong. On top that being her combat power possibly be a high B class, she also have a lot of real combat experience. Compare to me, me being able to cut her clothe even by little can be considered as lucky.

 

Before I can think about what to do next, she launched me with her sword. I fall back onto the ground. I guess this is as far as I can go.

 

Marin: "You can use magic as well?"

 

I answer her after I get back up

 

Me: "Did Dirk not tell you?"

 

Marin: "That smart head didn't tell me that at all. You did however surprise me there but you should've shot it directly at me instead trying to blind my vision."

 

Me: "I thought you knew so I decide that might be better. I even try to make the bomb go faster and trying something new."

 

Marin: "That speed and power should be at level 2. You can definitely enter this academy with that strength. This academy year only started a month ago so you can be considered as slightly ahead as of now."

 

Me: "Really?"

 

Marin: "Yeah, from what I see from our little spar, your combat power should be at least around 250. On top of that, you are able to utilize your skills nicely. I think I can give you 30 placement points."

 

Me: "placement points?"

 

Marin: "Don't tell me Dirk didn't explain that either..."

 

Me: "No he did not"

 

Marin: "That guy always misses out on some of the fine details. Well, in each academy, there is placement system separated by years. There is a placement board in the main school hall. I think the current top have total of 86 placement points."

 

Me: "Wait then isn't 30 a bit too little then?"

 

Marin's facial expression change when I ask that. Did I just ask something I shouldn't have? I hope that is not the case.

 

Marin: "That guy is using people to gain points. He is the son of marquises so he often use that power to buy his wins. I should explain how student can earn placement points shouldn't I. If a student fails a test, that student loses 3 placement points. A pass will give no points but won't lose any as well. An excel will give 2 points and a perfect will give 5 points. For exams, fail will lose 5, pass is still no change, excel will gain 3, and perfect will gain 8. Another way to earn points is through supervised duel. The amount loses and gain will be different per match but the minimum gain is always 2 points. Though we did have two weak cool down period between the two students but it doesn't stop this guy."

 

Me: "I see... I guess judging by the number of student in this academy, it must be easy to find new target.

 

Marin: "Yeah, that is why we are really puzzled. Every few years, there will be student like that. Well, there are about 800 first year student in this academy, I'm sure someone will be able to stop that pampered boy."

 

Marin said it while looking at me with very keen eye. It is as if she is tell me to do it. I really don't want to get involved in this but if he comes to me, I won't hold back.

......

...

After we are done, we change back into our normal clothes and went into the headmaster room. Though right now, I am more interested in how Yuuki did in her test. I decide ask the headmaster right away.

 

Me: "Oh by the way, how did Yuuki do?"

 

Headmaster: "That girl actually has really high magic potential. Ron offers her to be in a school that specializes in magic. That place does not have wide variety of class people can choose like this one but in term of magic, they are slightly superior and she took the offer."

 

Me: "I see..."

 

Well, it’s not like we won't see each other’s again so I am fine with this.

 

Headmaster: "Now, I am Kuron Triskor, the headmaster of this academy. Our academy has 4 required study days instead of 3 every cycle. Since you are a dimension traveler, I will explain how this work. There are total of 7 suns in this world. Each sun has different energy and they rise once every 7 days. Fist sun symbolizes creation, second sun symbolizes life, third sun symbolize end, fourth sun symbolize environment, fifth sun symbolize war, sixth sun symbolize love, and seventh sun symbolize renewal. That is how the 7 sun cycle works."

 

I guess instead of Monday through Sunday, they have different way to separate the days.

 

Kuron: "As I was saying, we have class under every first, second, fourth, and fifth sun. The other three sun are free days. Now, the most important part is our placement system."

 

Marin: "About that, I already explained that to her."

 

Kuron: "In that case, we are done here. Please prepare a room for her."

 

Marin: "Understood, now let's go."

 

Me: "Wait a second, how do I sign up for classes?"

 

Kuron: "You just have to go, the recording crystal by every room in this academy will mark your attendance. All you have to do is make sure you go to four classes that you are allowed to take every cycle and you won't lose any points. If you enter a class you are not qualified to be in, a voice projection will warn you. You can ask the instructor to be in the class but not all will allow it."

 

Wow, how this world operates can be considered more advanced than my old world. Though the amount of entertainment is not as much but at least some part is convenient.

 

After some more minor explanation, we end our conversation. We bid our goodbye once again and we head over to the dormitory.

......

...

Marin: "This is your room; we already prepared your uniform and some basic daily need. Your roommate is Dia Ademi, she is a first year swordsman. Her placement point is actually lower than yours right but that doesn't mean she is weaker."

 

Me: "I know and thanks."

 

When we reach my room, she hand me my key and left. I open the door but there is no one in there. I guess she is out since this is a free day right now. There is an hour until the cafeteria start serving food. I think I am going to take a short nap, it has been a while since the last time I sleep on bed.


© 2016 Eisho Shu


Author's Note

Eisho Shu
I know this is a long chapter compare to my other ones, but I just couldn't find a good place to end this chapter. Aside from possible grammar problems, do tell me where I can improve on.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

You did a great job keep it up. I would like to make a suggestion though. Use Naomi's name more referring constantly to her as me or my makes it kind of impersonal in my opinion but that is just a suggestion. Other than that it was a great chapter.

Posted 8 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 16, 2016
Last Updated on April 16, 2016
Tags: anime, Japanese, magic, sword, fantasy, adventure, action, school, test


Author

Eisho Shu
Eisho Shu

Chicago, IL



About
I love games and anime. Then I pick up visual novel and eventually that got me into some Japanese light novel and Web novel. That is what brings me here to try and start my own story. My pen name is a.. more..

Writing