The Unleashed

The Unleashed

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell

Chapter 16: The Unleashed

 

 

 

           




the kitchen. Grabbing a glass and filling it with water from the watercooler, then walking to the bathroom. Flicking-on the lights. He looked in the mirror as he slurped the entire glass. He gazed in the mirror, with little concentration on the details of his features. He knew his eyes were baggy, he decided to take a regular bath for once in his life. A Saturday morning unbefitting of how he thought of himself normally. But, he didn’t care. He needed the relief from the ugly events of late. Amiably thinking of just how to get anyone on-board. At this time he liked feeling detached. He usually smiled only slightly when he saw anyone, especially females when he thought of them. Alone or otherwise. As he lay there soaking in the amicability of it all. He wasn’t sure if it was really there. He lay there in-wait silently. Savoring each second he felt soothed and undermining his hangover. He lay on his bed wrapped up in sheets and had almost nothing on his mind. Trev reached to the crevice of the left side of his bed and picked up his phone. If this was real then any name had come in to play as a messenger like being. Only he went on to tell why and what the collateral could be. He couldn’t take these feelings. He chose to go back to thinking about other people and went back to sleep.


           


Waking in the early evening, he wasn’t sure what to do at all. Rummaging through his backpack he’d put the necklaces in a drunken stupor. After a meager meal and one leftover beer, he threw on some better clothes and walked outside and went up to David’s. Sure enough, his vehicles were there. He looked around at the top of the drive-way and chose the front door to go to. After about three minutes of the dog barking he heard feet pounding down a set of stairs inside.  He opened the door looking like a sack of potatoes. “Aye man! You’re lookin’ rough.” he said. “No doubt. Also, last night was a bit much, in more ways than one.”


            “I know how you feel. I really don’t want you to have to do anything on my behalf.”


            “You also said it’d be interesting.”


            “That I did. That I did.”


            “and I assure you it will be.”


            “Well now!” he chuckled. “What do you think’s going to happen?”


            “I don’t know. But, anything’s better than waiting around to find out.”


            Inside his room was a junkie looking computer and a lots of paintball posters. He said the computer didn’t work so neither of them got on it. He had a TV about as basic as he had in his. At least he place was clean. Impeccably so, actually. Trevor was bored. He looked at his phone several times, thinking of answering Jamie. He wouldn’t though. “What are you trying to do?” Trevor asked in a rude tone. “Oh, um, I guess we could go through the kitchen and find something to eat. “That’s okay. I’ve already eaten.”


            “This doesn’t look the same.” Trevor said. David looked ultimately confused and then turned to him. He wasn’t sure what he was doing before. Since Trevor was looking at one of the necklaces he’d gotten. “What are those?” he asked. “Something having to do with this whole deal I’ve been going on about.”


            “How long have you had them?”


“For quite a few months.”


“Where have you been, man?”


“You don’t even want to know.” He sort-of laughed disconcertedly. “It’s sort-of like the understatement of the year, huh?”


 


“You said it.” He agreed. Every second in David’s house was duller than the last. It wasn’t just here though. It was everywhere he’d been in the past couple years, and it just kept going. Boredom. Though he recollected on the times he’d spent playing. School was never bad. He enjoyed the days in elementary school.  He was fascinated with learning. Always wanting to be a stand-up student, every chance to be a portrayal of excellence in academics and otherwise. This was Trevor. Retentive and cold. It wasn’t that he also didn’t think, but, as the time passed; more and more prioritized, and soon it encompassed his life. Like every night and day didn’t actually happen. It was only class and home. He wasn’t sure what his father even did or how his mother’s days were.


He’d trained himself to be there and succeed. The same with music, no matter what. He grasped concepts well, although he did need help a lot, especially from the Asian girl in earlier math classes. Up till now, life had been as simple as that. Friendship was a game of work hard; play harder. Though it wasn’t as if he had no connections with select individuals. The night had fallen over their suburbia. He wasn’t sure what to do with the rest of the night. He imagined himself writing post-cards to pen-pals on the other side of the world for the moment David was on the phone or talking to parents about something or other. He had a habit of daydreaming. Somehow he was able to manage it at any time it was appropriate while awake. David ended up asking him if he wanted to leave. He usually would have said yes. But, he didn’t. He stayed and sat on David’s laptop while he played video games.


When he got home, he got on the Myspace to see what was happening. He opened his post-box. A ton were giving off mindless dribble about bears and and a TV show he semi-liked. Loose thoughts collected. “I almost can’t believe they air this stuff anymore.” He ended up lurking. After about two hours he noticed a girl he found majorly attractive. He waited for a moment as he read what she wrote about herself. Proceeding to look through her profile pictures, he clicked back to the home page. Diana was her name, and though not the prettiest name he’d ever witnessed he was ready to fare. He requested her right away.






© 2017 Stephen Caldwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

148 Views
Added on December 22, 2016
Last Updated on February 23, 2017

Living Virtues


Author

Stephen Caldwell
Stephen Caldwell

Concord, NC



About
Musician. Writer. Humble. Tattooed. Loving. Hating. Human. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell