Red on Arrival Pt. 3

Red on Arrival Pt. 3

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell

Chapter 62: Red on Arrival Pt. 3

 

 

 

 

            Where it was coming from he did not know though it shot through his eardrums like a sliver of a bullet. He moved out of the line of sight on the trail and ran down a ways. Mostly to see what was going on. But, he couldn’t. He couldn’t see much of anything besides the light of the moon. Hunkered down beside the tree-line, he regrouped himself and rested. All he could think to do was sit there and rest underneath the dark sky. When for a flash he could hear a noise. A crashing-like sound coming from the right, it wasn’t vivid, but more like a tree shaking in the wind, just a little bit louder. An opening through the other side of the trail and a breaking sound and somebody came sliding through onto the trail and rolled out flat on their back. Trevor ran to see what was up. Of all people, it was David, and he looked great. If by great you mean battered and covered in mud, having crashed through the air. He might have a broken bone or two. Trevor knew not. But, he went to see if he was okay. Like a raven he swooped in over to him and checked around beside him. He surely wasn’t dead, not now anyway. Trevor checked his vitals, not much was there, but there was something. He tried healing him. His wounds started to vanish, the ones that were visible anyway, and the ones underneath too. His left hand began draining him and he started to feel weak. He quit helping him and focused on whether he would wake or not. Trevor was curious to know what had knocked him this far. He guessed that ghoul that laid into him earlier. Where was it? That was a good question. Trevor was leery to waste any more effort on bringing him back to his feet. He could be swatted up or away at any time. He got up and shuffled back to the side of the trail behind the shadows. He didn’t know if it would come after him further or not. There wasn’t many options besides using his visuals. He knew this, but it wasn’t the proper timing yet. There was no signification that it would track him down. In the spur of the moment he watched an owl fly out from the limbs a few trees over. He heightened his nerves and listened. There was no use in hiding, if he hadn’t been seen by now then whatever it was would be going away. He saw the owl again flying halfway between the space between the trail and where the trees began. It flew off into what he guessed was another tree somewhere off to the head of the trail. He snuck to the outer ridge of where his friend laying and jumped out to see if he would get him moving. Trevor smacked him in the face ten or so times. His eyes flared and cut open. “Ohh man… what are you doing?”

            “Me!? What are you doing? Get the f**k up!”

            “What why… Oh right! I came to find you. I thought you could be in trouble.”

            “I am and we are. Now come on.” He demanded. “Alright. Lets go.”

            He got up surprisingly easily, “guess he didn’t brake any bones.” Trevor ran far down the trail and out onto the road in the fastest sprint he’d even run. “Where’s Jamie?” he said panting at the edge of the road. “I don’t know.” He said. “I parked up the road and walked down here. I could hear you screaming inside the trees and I came to find you as fast as I could.” Trevor laughed. “You have no idea how funny that sounds, but thanks.” He smiled. “If he’s not back at my car then I’m going to be worried.”

            David looked at him and somberly walked with him to the car, he was probably hurt from the beating he took. Trevor stepped slowly down the sidewalk to get to his car. Jamie was indeed there. “What the hell was all that?” were the first words out of his mouth. Of course Trevor didn’t have an definitive illustration on hand to tell him what he had experienced. Now was not the right time. Trevor turned to him and remembered that he’d done something while they were in that clearing. He didn’t know what though. He kept quiet. David said, “Well, what’re we doing here?” Trevor matched him with a wave of his hand. I don’t think either of them knew what that meant. But they both kept still for a minute. “Where do you wanna go?” he asked David.

            “I was gonna say we should go to the store and pick up some beer, it’s been a long day and I wouldn’t mind having a few, or a bunch.” He told Trevor. “How are we going to do that… none of us are twenty-one.”

            “I have some friends. In fact, there’s a party up the street and I was gonna go anyway.”

“Yeah… alright, but what about your sores and bruises?”

            “Oh don’t worry about it. I get about ten beers in me and I won’t be able to feel a thing.” He explained. “Ookay… Jamie what do you want to do?”

“How about you bring me over there and I will get a ride back as soon as I can.”

            “Sounds like a game plan.” Was all Trevor said, David went back to his truck. Trevor inched his way out of the parking place then slammed it into park. Finally he had a chance to speak to Jamie. “What was that back there?” he asked him. Jamie looked at him with a discomforting gaze, kind of deserving when he thought about it. “What are you talking about?” he responded. “When that ball of fire was on you, what was that you did?” he asked. “I don’t know what you mean.” He looked at him inquisitively. “You know, I saw you. You put up some kind of wall and it didn’t burn you.” He told him.. “I don’t remember doing that.” Trevor sighed. “Well you did. I know you did. You have to be able to use your powers now. There’s no other reason that you would’ve done that.”

            He just stared blankly and looked down at his phone. A residual habit it seemed. “You may be right. What do you think it was?”

            “I think you have the power to put up a shield of sorts. Maybe more than that.” He said. “Why would you say that?” Trevor waited a moment. “Because I have two, maybe that means you do to.”

            “Two what? I don’t get what you mean…”

            “Two ways of using power, as far as I’ve seen David up there only has one. But you might have two. You just gotta work out how to use them.”

            “and what does it mean to have those powers.”

            “Mine are pretty cool, I have a lot of uses for them.”

            “Okay… I think I’m liking where this is going.” He said. “Yeah, you just have to figure it out. I think I do too.”

            They sped off up the hill and ended up behind David’s truck. He followed him a ways. A couple blocks at most and they were at the party he mentioned.


 



© 2016 Stephen Caldwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

116 Views
Added on December 22, 2016
Last Updated on December 22, 2016

Living Virtues


Author

Stephen Caldwell
Stephen Caldwell

Concord, NC



About
Musician. Writer. Humble. Tattooed. Loving. Hating. Human. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell