The Descension

The Descension

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell

Chapter 129: The Descension

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

            Waking with Michelle wrapped in his arms on the guest room floor, he lay awake thinking he didn’t remember going to sleep last night. He wasn’t hungover, Trevor rarely got them if at all, but cuddled up to Michelle, he rolled over and sat up. His first productive thought was he needed to check his book-bag. He opened it up and looked in. The necklaces were all gone. He became pensive and realized that he’d given them all out last night and everyone had disappeared. The book was still there, he felt himself replenished and took a notion to reach inside and look in it.

            The Devil’s Instructions by Satan Massey; It looked brand new, almost like it had just come off the press. What was it doing in that old dungeon of Belial’s? “Nevermind that.” Trevor thought. He looked to the table of contents, sitting down at the desk, glancing back at Michelle to see if he’d disturbed her. Not a peep or any motion. If Azazel had finished them off last night then he wouldn’t be able to read any of this. They got lucky that three of their powers combined were enough to drive him off. Trevor was bewildered about how he could fly. He concentrated on the title pages about how to be a devil and what to do when faced with a devil’s tasks. Belial probably followed this to the letter. Just like a good little underling. Now it was up to Trevor to sort through all this to find out exactly what his plans were besides getting humanity destroyed by the angels.

            His tattoo began to sting again, almost forgetting that he had it. He eventually found the passage about building a stream of energy that would affect heaven. He read.

With 24 demon souls you can build a demon bomb that will disrupt the host of heaven. It shall be placed in a flat area and one that is on an even plane.

            This example led him to believe it was a place he could find, as grotesque as the idea was. “An open plane? Hmm…” he took a look at what the item in question would look like.

A solid white crystal with spikes coming out of it.

            As he was analyzing this he was reminded of the time a blue ball of unknown origin dropped from the sky and exploded his leg off. He wondered if that had anything to do with Percy. Maybe those were his lost memories and the final piece of the puzzle was death, or maybe not. Trevor rubbed his brow anxiously and got up. He soon went to the bathroom and then discovered all the rooms were filled with sleeping people. David was nowhere to be found.

            He looked outside and his truck was gone. Trevor was going to have to find another was out of here. Going in to pack his things quietly beside Michelle, for once he decided to call his Dad for help and riding with him would be a nice change of pace. Then before he could call Megan got up out of the living room chair where she was watching TV and came into the kitchen. “I was up all night. I feel like s**t.”

            “Well you don’t look it.” Trevor said encouragingly. “Hah thanks.”

            “Yeah, so who’s all here?”

            “Ashley’s in his parents bed. Alone. Alan’s in there with some girl.”

            “Ah. I bet so.” he muttered. “The thing is I’ve been getting some chatter on the signal pacifier. I activated it because I was bored after you all went to bed. They’re saying that Lucipher is in my city and has been camping out in an alley by the bus station. He plans on going to the big city when he collects enough change.”

            “We’ll lose him if he goes there! By the way, how do you know all this?”

            “I told you, I heard it on the signal pacifier!”

            “No I mean before. You knew about Belial giving it to me.”

            “Oh, I’m a wicken sweetheart. It’s what I do.”

            “To stop evil?”

            “We and demons or angels don’t get along very well. So no, not necessarily.”

            “Got it. So which bus station is it.?”

            “The one off main st. by the theater.”

            “The angels told you all that?”

            “You’d be surprised how thorough they are.” She laughed and winked in a cute way. “How can I get there now?”

            “That I can’t help you with. No chance in hell.”

            “I guess I’ll have to wake Alan up.” He walked into the tanning room and he was cuddled up to Brittany. “You skeezy m**********r. It’s time to get you up.” He rolled him onto the floor and his eyes shot open.”

            “Well hey Trev.” he said. “I need a ride.” he said sternly. “Where to?”

            “The bus station to the north.”

            “Okay. where are you going this morning?”

            “To find Percy.”

            “Percy? Who’s that?”

            “Someone very important.”

            “Okay. Let’s go.”

            Alan’s mustang purred like a kitten. Trevor stopped in out of the cold and into the room temperature car. Trevor put his jacket on immediately and settled down into the seat. Alan decided to wait for it to warm up. While they did so Trevor asked him if Brittany had slept the whole time she’d been laying there. “Yep. Never rose once.” Trevor felt a sigh of relief. The last thing he needed was her blowing up on one of his intercessors or calling the cops reporting a kidnapping. He figured she wouldn’t do that since they’d saved her. He gave Alan a nudge. “Maybe when she wakes up you can ask her out.”

            Starting to drive, Alan seemed a bit more alert and when he came to the first stop, he smiled and put his music on. Some kind of metalcore that was very catchy. It had deep singing and pounding breaking beats. When they finally made it to the bus station in downtown. Percy was already gone. “Damn it. I’ve lost him.”

            “He was here?”

            “Yes. This is exactly where Megan said he would be.”

            “What’re you going to do?” he asked. “I’m going to go after him on the next bus. Tell Jamie I’ve gone to the big city on the bus.”

            “Okay, will do.” Trevor got out with his bag and stood by the bus post. He could see the alley where Percy had posted up from where he was standing. Alan flew by in his Mustang after turning around at the stop-light.

            It was super chilly outside that got to Trevor before the bus did. He pulled his hood up and covered his ears. It was an hour before any sign of the bus came through. When finally it rolled up on top of the stop and let him on for two fifty, it was nice and toasty inside. Trevor hadn’t the slightest clue as to how he was going to find Percy among the thousands of faces in uptown. On the interstate, he watched the miles fly by and calmed himself to think about where he was going to go once he got there. “I’ll check up by the community college.” he thought. There might have been much activity up there. He had plenty of money in his pocket, so that wasn’t an issue. He counted his money in his wallet. Seventy-five dollars. It wasn’t that much, but it was enough. Trevor had to make that last until this excursion was over. He thought he could manage that. The bus finally pulled up the center of the city. He asked the bus driver when the afternoon route would come around. She said four-thirty in front of the jail. Trevor complied and got off the bus; waiting for the trolley to come around and take him away up to the community campus. While he waited in the cold breeze, he watched the people walking by and moving slowly across the intersection. He couldn’t wait to see the city by daylight. It was a new and refreshing experience to behold. Trevor knew exactly where he was going. To the coffee shop.

            The cold air whipped his face like a race horse just passed him. He clung to his hoodie like never beore and huddled for warmth. Staring up at the tops of the tallest buildings he could hardly believe he was here, right here in the big city. Many buses came past him and eventually the trolley barreled around the curve behind him and stopped to pick him up. It wasn’t that crowded, but he wanted to stand, not sit down, because he wanted to see the sides of the streets standing up. He didn’t have a hangover and he felt great in the fresh air. Maybe it was all that weed he smoked last night. He felt bad leaving Michelle lying there, but it was all he could do to track down Percy. Once he got there, Trevor crossed the street and walked uphill to the coffee shop. He went in and sat down at the bar, waiting to be served. The bar attendant came over and asked him what he’d like. He said a cold coffee with vodka. “Coming right up.”

            When he was served his drink, he asked him if he’d seen a guy with long blonde hair and a beard in here today. He said he had about an hour ago and that he was going to Amos’ Southend to hang out before the show tonight. That was just like Percy to want to see another show after the one he’d seen that night with Silent Tram. Trevor didn’t know why he didn’t think about that. Not before coming here anyway. He wondered how he would get in. He sipped his iced coffee that was alcoholic and prepared himself to go get him.

            Once he was done with his beverage, he moved out of the way and picked his bag up. To his surprise a pretty girl walked in the doorway and sat down. Sitting on the sofa cushions, to more of his surprise it was Ashley in the flesh. She was wearing a black shirt and black leggings and he had to say, she looked good. “What’re you doing here? I thought you were asleep in Jamie’s parents bed.” he said directly to her. “I was in need of a ride and Alan kindly gave me one. Better question, why are you here?”

            “I’m tracking a friend of mine out here.”

            “Oh, have you found him?”

            “I think I’ve found where he’s gonna be.” he said. “That’s good. I’m here for my hair salon classes.”

            “Oh, you’re gonna be a hair dresser?”

            “Yep. It’s a dream of mine.”

            “Good luck, girl.”

            “Thanks. You too with your friend.”

            “Hey is Alan still here?”

            “No, he went back to Jamie’s where everyone’s asleep.”

            “Damn. Okay, thanks.”

            It was one of those defining moments of the day’s encounters. Trevor was stunned. He still had to find Percy in this city without a ride. When he said his goodbyes and exited the café a sinewy November wind struck his face. He pulled down the sleeves of his jacket and carried on. He would have to ride the trolley back to the center, but first he needed to wait up on the outside of the hospital. So he climbed the steep hill and sat back in one of the benches placed out there and relaxed.

            The sun was shining and it still was colder than an average November out there. So, Trev bundled up with his hood on and sat Indian-style on the bench. He could eventually see the trolley at the bottom of the hill coming his way. This time he sat down because there was almost no one on there, with the exception of a rotund lady and an old man. He got off at the center intersection and started walking south. That was the way to Amos’ Southend. It took him nearly twenty-minutes, crossing a bridge and passing the chicken & waffle place. He was nearly there when he was blocked by a group of people coming out of a restaurant. HE had to wait till they all filed and crossed the street. Then he trudged on with his pack on his back ready to hit the spot where Percy supposedly should be.

            Sanctimoniously he was sitting on the brick wall, with his long blonde hair and beard he was unmistakably Percy. Somehow he had changed clothes and washed himself. Trevor crept up on him unawares and said, “Percy?”

            “Oh, it’s you friend.” he said loudly. “Yes, indeed.”

            “What’re you doing here?”

            “I’m here to find you.”

            “Well you’ve found me.”

            “Yes, so you need to come with me.”

            “Why so?” he asked cordially. “Because you don’t belong here.”

            “I think I belong here. I’m ready to see another show.” Trevor caught a glimpse of a famous vocalist crossing the parking lot behind the brick wall. He was tempted to go to the back lot and talk to him. He resisted. “Percy, where are you going to go when the show is over?”

            “I’ll go with you then of course.”

            “Okay. So when the show is done you’ll come with me?”

            “Yes. Why wouldn’t I?”

            “I don’t know. You’ve been pretty defiant most of the time.”

            “That all changes now then.”

            “Good. Glad to hear it.”

            Trevor didn’t know if he’d make it through the show, still tired from last night. HE knew he could get beer inside and decided to go in and get some. He flashed his ID and paid at the door for both him and Percy. The first band, a local one, was already slamming out their set. The place wasn’t packed, but full enough. He walked up to the bar. Ordering one beer, he set it down on the bar and looked around for Percy. He couldn’t see him anywhere. Not worrying about it, Trev sat down and turned ninety-degrees and watched the band play.

            It was excruciating. Trevor didn’t much like the way they sounded at all. But, he beared with it. Trevor didn’t feel much like dancing. Though many were in the middle of the pit doing so. It was exhilarating just watching them. Sipping his beer, he turned back toward the bar and ordered his next one. Still buzzing from his vodka coffee, he needed more to keep it up. Guzzling the second one down, he went to go find Percy. He looked around and didn’t find him. Going up on the bannisters to catch a bird’s eye view, the second band had come to set up and most had cleared out and he didn’t see him anywhere. His best option was to go back outside to find him.

            Heading out, there was no other choice but to clear out by the brick wall. The entrance was too crowded. Luckily it wasn’t raining this afternoon. Trevor searched his peripherals and the only thing was a fight that had broken out in front of the venue. Trevor moved in to have a closer look. To his opposing side he saw what looked like near to a midget, and on his own side Blaine was taunting him audaciously and putting on quite a display. “Blaine?” he said surprisingly. “Oh! Hey there boss man.”

            “What’s going on here?”

            “Just having a little altercation with this man.”

            “I can see what that.” Some people were coming in between them trying to break it up. “Why don’t we just calm down.” Trevor said suggestively. “I’m calm. Who’s not calm?” Blaine retorted. “Alright let’s get you out of here.” He grabbed him by the shoulder and led him back into the auditorium. “have you been out there dancing?” he asked when they got inside. “Yeah, it was that guy who had a problem with my dancing. “Well f**k him. You got in goin’ on.”

            “Thanks buddy.” They walked in together and Trev ran back to the bar for another drink. The second band had begun its set. Drinking his beer, Trevor got lost in thought while sitting at the barstool. What was it that was bothering him? Was it Blaine’s cockiness? That could dangerous in the future. Or was it Percy and his foolhardy mission to see more shows till the day he passes away Trevor couldn’t believe he was somewhat of an ally. Taken that he was mostly an angel and Trevor was enhanced with dark forces. Meddling in Abbadon’s business and his own meant that he had to follow through and take it all in stride. Coming from the spinoff of his own thought, he contemplated how to disable the demon bomb when he found it. What would become of him? Would he continue to be a functional alcoholic that fought bad things or go back to a normal life of reading and writing till the end of his days. Reacting to everything that had happened, he perceived it as him winning the fight so far.

            And he didn’t have to worry abo0ut the past because he’d already taken care of all the captive damsels and the organization he’d formed all so quickly. IT didn’t mean he couldn’t push it all away every once in a while while he was back in the background. Out of the fray, he shivered and finished the last of beer, just as the second band finished their set list. Trevor felt like a boss that was proud of his staff, sitting there reveling in their work. It was enlightening and he was feeling true happiness. Ordering another beer, he knew he couldn’t take it outside so he guzzled it down.

            That was when she caught his eye. A beautiful looking scene chick that had long auburn hair and a fine a*s. He was enthralled. It didn’t take long before his legs moved on their own all the way toward her. He felt nauseous and all the way up to her he couldn’t think of anything but to ask her her name. He asked her for her name. “Maria.” she said. “Ma �" My name’s Trevor.” he said jumbled. She giggled. “I’m here with my friend Katie.”

            “Nice. I’m here with mine named Percy.”

            “Well, it seems we’re both guests in this fine establishment.” she said savvy. “Yeah, I also know a guy named Blaine here.”

            “Aren’t you popular.” she smiled. “Yeah I guess. Would you like to come outside with me?”

            “First let’s go to the bathroom.” Trevor followed her into the ladies bathroom. Standing in front of the mirror, she offered him a small ovalion violet pill. “Take this.” she told him. “What it is?”

            “It’s ecstasy you fool.” He took it immediately without question. Then she kissed him. Deeply with her tongue and down slid her pill into her throat. Exiting the restroom, Trevor was glad no one was inside. When she came out, he followed her outside with his hand on her back. A habit he was starting to get used to. He knew he was in love with her at first sight, which made him forget his fling with Peyton. “Maria!” he called to her. “Come here.” She walked over to him from where she was. “What do you think of me?”

            “You? I think you’re God sent.”

            “Really? Thank you!”

            “You’re welcome honey bun.” She kissed him on the mouth again. Trevor was enamored and ready to hold her hand. But, instead took out a cigarette and lit it up. He spotted Percy off to the left by the brick wall again and went over to him.

            “What are you doing?” he asked him. “Waving my legs back and forth.”

            “How is the show?”

            “It’s thrilling. Better than the last in some aspects.”

            “That’s good to hear. I’m gonna get you a ride out of here when the show ends.” With that Trevor went back over to where Maria was hanging out and put out his cig. He leaned up against the wall and took a deep breath. Almost instantly Maria came up and huddled in close to him. “I’m feelin’ this x.” she said. Trevor didn’t feel much of anything except feelings of love. Suddenly a flush of warmth that flowed from the pit of his stomach and into his brain overcame him. The ecstasy was kicking in as he lost himself cling to this unknown girl named Maria in the last light of a November day. What he was going to do about Percy escaped him completely and he was now in the embrace of MDMA. He would worry about that later it seemed.

            He couldn’t quite grasp this feeling he was having. Whether the ecstasy or his plight meant that he was here for Percy. It was time to go back inside and he was not feeling it. The harsh tones coming from the amplifier left him reeling in the background like a bad fish. There was nothing he would like more than to be back at Jamie’s or inside of Maria having sex somewhere. Not to mention being drunk or completely wasted in bed with her. Despite his melancholy feelings, Trevor wished to be normal under merging pressures. He followed Maria around like an aging lamb. As he muddled about, Trevor yearned to be in the pit doing swings and spins, but didn’t have the heart for it right now. If not for that he’d be moshing it up with the best of them; like Blaine. Despite these unordinary matches, Trevor was bored and didn’t want another beer. That could be because he was high on ecstasy, but Maria and Percy had disappeared into the crowd and he’d never felt so alone in a room full of strangers. The third band was ready to play and he was sort of in a trance as to when they were going to begin.

            The drums and the guitar hummed in and they were on their way. It was invigorating and the pit was heating up. Trevor decided to stay back thought. There was no reason for him to get involved because he didn’t need any more wounds to himself for his psyche now or ever. Not that he might avoid that completely but it wasn’t worth the risk. Trevor moved in a little more to be able to listen to the speakers better. In a shot he was thirsty and needed refreshment. He made his way over to the bar and ordered a water and a beer. Chugging the water till there was nothing left, he reached for his beer, which almost tipped over and took a slag. He could hear just find from over here which was weird because on the other side he had to move closer. He hated how much it was disturbing him.

            Delving back into his beer, he sat back and enjoyed the show. Two band and visits with Maria later, Trevor was drunk and on the x. The one who Trevor saw outside’s band was up next and he was excited. He even took the notion to tell Maria about it. She said she knew they were playing and Trevor felt embarrassed. Now the breakdown began and he felt like moving but refrained. He wanted to stay where he was with her. “What are we going to do after the show?”

            “What?” she said not hearing him. “nevermind.” Trevor listened and listened and listened. For a while he couldn’t think of any other place he wanted to be. It occurred to him that he didn’t know how he would get home. He relaxed when he figured he’d call Alan and hitch another ride from him back to Jamie’s. This eased his stress ten-fold and he held on to Maria while he watched the concert, moving to and fro. Getting home or taking Percy prisoner while he did so, he didn’t know which made him more nervous. He thought about giving it up and escaping now. Leaving Percy all alone in this city. But, he wouldn’t let himself. He wanted to say goodbye to Maria and drag Percy back up the hill to where Alan would pick them up. The band with the famous lead singer finished their set and there was one more to go. They congregated outside, Trevor lit a cigarette and watched the cars go by in front of Amos’. Smoke bellowing out of him he gazed at Maria as she looked right at him too. “What’s the matter baby?” Trevor stood tall and said nothing at all. She looked at him worried. “Do you want to go to a party after this?” she asked him. “Count me out. I’m going back to Jamie’s to sleep and regroup.”

            “Okay then.” She looked sad. He was ready to be back in captivity. Amos’ definitely wasn’t the show environment he would choose if he had to choose one. Maria was shuffling about puzzlingly and Trevor thought he’d see what was the matter. “What’s going on?”

            “I’m just so excited about tonight. We’re going to a party in the suburbs at a million dollar house.”

            “Sounds like a blast.”

            “It will be.”

            “Be careful dear.” he said encouragingly. “I shall.” she said with a million dollar smile. And that was that. Trevor knew he’d have one last chance to say goodbye. “Can I have your phone number boo?”

            “Of course, baby.” She gave it to him and kissed him on the cheek. Showtime. Trevor ran back inside to see the band he’d been waiting to see in there. He thought one more beer was in order. He went to the bar and ordered up. The bass rolled in as he sat spun around in the barstool. Breakdown came and went and the crowd was rocking from the dancers in the middle. Trevor was kind of glad he wasn’t in there. That was the last of their kind he would see for a very long time; he knew in his gut. For a spell, he drank his beer and sat listening. Then he felt restless and had to stand up, finishing the last drop of his brew. He moved to the sideline of the crowd and shouted the words along with them. Thrilling as it was to see them live after all this time, he had to get home and that as mostly what was on his mind. He wondered where in here Percy was at this moment. Probably bouncing around inside the crowd walls as he was thinking about it. An epic, undeniable breakdown entered the equation. Trevor couldn’t help but move from side to side. And just like that it was all over. He needed to get out of there and fast. He tore off his wristband and threw it in the trash as he made his way out. Neither Maria nor Percy were out here yet, but Blaine was. He went up to him. “Whoa, not too close man.” he said. “Hey, let me get your number so I can call you if I need your help.”

            “Okay. You got it champ. He gave it up in a fastidious manner. “Okay. See you later.” Trevor blurted hastily. He saw Maria walk out and Percy not a minute later. Things were going well. “Maria!” he screamed. “Hey there boo.”

            “I’m leaving soon.” It was beginning to get dark and Trevor was scared of the dark in the city. At least he’d have Percy with him. “Okay. Catch you later beebs.” She kissed him deeply one last time. Trevor then got to Percy. “You ready to go big guy?”

            “Yeah that was so exciting I can’t believe it. It was everything I thought it’d be.”

            “That’s good to hear. Let’s go.”



© 2016 Stephen Caldwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

140 Views
Added on December 22, 2016
Last Updated on December 22, 2016

Living Virtues


Author

Stephen Caldwell
Stephen Caldwell

Concord, NC



About
Musician. Writer. Humble. Tattooed. Loving. Hating. Human. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell