The Night

The Night

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell

Chapter 107: The Night

 

 

 

 

            Raising his sun protector and getting out of the car, he flattened his hand over his eyes and looked across his land. It put him in the mood to walk across the earth and rest beneath the trees while standing. He hooked his arm on one and took a lay of the land in a pit of turmoil. He was falling apart and he needed to accept that he had to heal himself or sleep tonight if he wanted to mount any sort of attack. He ran back to the car when Alex pulled in behind and greeted them kind and warm when they arrived in his driveway. There were no more barriers to cross. The only ones left out were Simon and Jamie, the only thing stopping them from completing their mission was hoodie. Trevor eased back against the side of the car and wouldn’t let himself be frustrated from being so swamped and fatigued. He put his hand up against his chest and healed himself. He could feel himself vapid and soothing as soon as he did. It was miraculous and vivid, he could feel himself filling out against. He liked the way it worked; like it was making him good again. Instead of a boy with hellacious powers. For one time, he almost felt pretty much like a man, or just a person who was healthy and alive. More-so the latter. They came out the seats of the car all at once to greet him. “Whoa-ho, that was a journey.” Alex exclaimed. “I might have to say the same.” Trevor spoke. “Yeah, well, whaddaya expect when you live on the other side of a giant lake.” Blaine uttered all of a sudden. There was no pause, just imminent silence coming from all ends of the parties. He didn’t know how to cause to signify that he lived far away, just that he enjoyed the trip and he liked the scenery. That being the case, he opened up the back door and got his bag from it. It took him three whole minutes to unpack what else was in there, just for safeties sake, he ran inside to put it all away, then came to give them all their necklaces. He left Simon and Jamie’s in the house against so they wouldn’t have adverse effects. Trevor opened the bag and found the spoils that were the necklaces, one belonging to him. He put it on and shrugged, letting everything go and letting the power flow through him. He discontinued once the effect took its bearing on his body and drained his energy. The fact was that it only healed his insides and out, but took its toll on his strength and carbohydrates, along with his activeness if he used it too long. That was the game plan, and he hat to stick to it or the buck would stop short on the top of it.

            He begun a discussion with them under gray sunset. Now that things were getting serious, he couldn’t hold much any longer on logistics and plan of aggression. He could not let the tables turn on him as they seemed to be. Lately he was churning the gear that seemed to be leading to his defeat, but he could not be bested; if he could help it. The undeniable truth was that one who could teleport had a major advantage over them, so here’s what they agreed; he decided they’d do. “I said  that he may be able to teleport autonomously, so watch out; for that that is.” He balled up his fist and showed them his glowing green hand of deathly energy with his necklace boosting it up. He couldn’t say he wasn’t impressed with his own ability to assimilate it at will. The magic happened. He pulled and postured and moved to a tree branch that looked like it might fall on the house one day and turned it into ashes. As he stomped over to them again to rejoin the group there was a sudden air of disclosure and he managed to set his necklace off over again. They all glew and magically circumvented and formatted into one white tress of energy in the middle of the circle. The bright mass flashed in the night air and poised itself above them in the center more in a form of stock. In an oblivion it shot back at them in bits and white bolts and knocked everyone to the ground. When it did, he jumped back up, but not everyone did. He tried to rouse Alex, and Mary, but had no luck. It didn’t happen to cause any casualties at least. But, Alex and Mary were still unconscious and Alan seemed to have trouble getting up. When Alan did get up, which he levered himself a few times when he did, he had this unbelievable look on his face. Trevor couldn’t believe what was going on either, but it was so.

            The rudimentary foundations of the incident caused the influx of power to coincide evenly in the scheme of things was the only explanation he could muster. Soon and eventually they all rose up and were back to their feet. “Wha… where are we?” questioned Blaine. “We’re at my house.” Trevor told him. There was a stillness in the air, and Blaine waited carefully to choose his words before speaking again. “I think I remember going here, but I don’t know how or why I’m here.”

            “That’s… uncommon. I don’t know how you have forgotten, but you came with these three and I brought you here. This is my friend David; and he means a lot to me.” he said. “So do you, thought I hardly know you.” he reclaimed. David inched up and proclaimed, “I haven’t got the courtesy; I am David Alexander, and I have the brightest smile.” he showed his teeth. “There you have it!” he exclaimed. There went the whole thing. Trevor pronounced and writ in his mind the next thing he was going to say. He sniffled; it was rather cold on a night in early March. He ran into David who was standing relatively close to him. There they three were and Alan sitting there shivering and taking in deep breaths. “You know you guys can really bring in some boring conversation.”

            “It’s not that bad.” Trevor said aloud. “Anyway, what just happened was there was a burst of light that knocked us all down.”

            “Really? I don’t like the sound of that.” said Blaine. “Well, call it a hunch, but it may have just made us stronger.” David spoke. “That maybe the case. I don’t know what that did.” Trevor respoke. “Me neither.” said David peering at his arms and torso. “What could that possibly have done?” he queried. “I don’t think any of us know that.”

            “No doubt.” Trevor replied. “How do I get back home from here anyway?” Blaine questioned. Alex started to rise. “Whoa…”

            “Hey you.” Blaine cut-in. “How do I get back home.”

            “Just wait… I’ll take you.” he said. “Listen to Trevor he’s our leader.” he told him. “We’re going to merge and plan our assail.” he claimed. Trevor was appalled at his own boldness. “What do you suppose we do?” asked Alex. “About?” he responded. “About one who moved through time and space.”

            “I guess we call him out. He is after all my demon.”

            “Demon? What on Earth?”

            “Hooded one come forth!” he proposed. “You rang?” The hooded man popped in out of nowhere and crept up next to him. “Oh, I guess you were just waiting for that.”

            “I was actually.” he said with a smile. An abrasive creepy show of tooth that wrought him to his core. Trevor shook, then shouted. “Get him!”

            David was on him as fast as he could say that. He shot a blow that almost struck the house on the other side of the street, but went off up through the low-hanging brush beside them. He’d missed but now the target was on the run. Trevor ran after him to the round of the house and was trying to catch up with him. He turned round the back of the house and disappeared. Trevor made his way around and looked both directions. No sight of him what-so-ever. Then he heard a great, “Ah!” from the front. He flipped and went back as soon as he could dart back to the front yard. The enemy had reappeared and was on Blaine’s shoulders, wrapping him up and hanging off of him tightly. He couldn’t get him off of him despite his hands glowing bright red and his feet smoothing the dirt as he got his weight centered to pull him, or throw him off. David shot another beam at him, but Blaine spun when he did and it went off through the neighbor’s backyard and into the distance. This was getting them nowhere. Trevor rushed right for Blaine and the one tying him up by his upper body and tried to grab him. It didn’t work; he was immediately greeted by thin air where the one he was going for was located. He’d moved elsewhere, and Trevor would have a hard time finding him again.

            David looked belligerent; probably because he didn’t make his chance to eliminate him. Trevor brushed himself off and so did Blaine. Alex was standing by in lieu of what was going on and Alan was set up against the car barely awake. Mary was still not.

            It the breadth of the night in the March, Trevor was shocked by what had happened. He had called out the hooded demon, but had failed to apprehend him. He stood close by David and Blaine looked like he’d stepped in a pile of ants the way he was wriggling and spouting off. “psssst.” he heard from behind his back. He looked around and there he was, hood and all, looking him in the eyes. Trevor turned to stone, and in a moment, he was pushed down flat on his back by the imposter. He stood back up and this time, he was attacking David. David held out his hand to blast him away but his arm was thrown up and he shot into the sky. Then his hands were held as he was tripped by the figure and thrown to the ground. This guy was good; too good. He couldn’t let this go on for long. Next was Alex, the person who was uncontrollably shaking because he didn’t know if he was about to be attacked or not. So far, they’d had good luck with not losing anyone, which would be disastrous, but he was afraid and so was Trevor. Alex burst with power, a surge that let out and reached to the plants lining the walkway. Their energy never seemed to affect anything except living things. Hoodie was bounced back into the grass by it and was trying to move. That’s when Trevor flipped on time stop. He couldn’t have chosen a better moment to do that. When he arrived at where he was downed, he picked him up by the cuffs and put him in a Nelson lock. Then turned back to normal time. He had him grappled to the front of him facing the rest. It couldn’t have been any more perfect. Alex power surge was the fantastic of tools to get him to the ground and vulnerable to where he couldn’t teleport. He moved and stepped to the side to get him weak and to let the other’s know that he had him right where he wanted him. His friend’s looked disheveled and unaware. Alex had collapsed. Likely from the amount of power he’d exspelled during the excursion. Alan was still occupied by the vehicle and David was rising. Blaine had the look of an athlete that had just lost a wrestling match and he was having trouble processing everything that was going on. David looked keenly at Trevor with his butt on the ground and a ninety-degree angle. “Wait! Wait!” it exclaimed. “What is it? What do you want?” Trevor wondered. “I want you to take me to the orb.”

“The orb? Really?”

“Yes. It must be destroyed. It’s the cause of all evil in this world and I can’t live without it being gone.”

“So you’re saying you’re not of this world?” He nodded and Trevor remained with the hold. “I want you to take me there so I can get rid of it once and for all.” he said. “I’m afraid I can’t do that?”

“Why not?” it asked innocently. “Because the orb is all knowing and therefore valuable. Besides I have a feeling that it’s part of what’s tying this world together.”

“I know it is, but the time has to come that it must be done away with, and the sooner the better.”

“For you maybe. But, for us, we need the information the orb hold and whatever it’s doing there where it dwells is fine with me.” Trevor told him. “Right. So I guess you’re never going to take my side with this one.”

“Nope. Sorry chap.” Trevor said. He began trying to wiggle free and he was wild. He almost got one hand undone and besides that he was pushing Trevor back toward the bushes. He couldn’t have foreseen a more difficult abrasion and guile. But, apparently he couldn’t depart from his hold. David looked at them.

He looked over concernedly and nodded, held out both his hands, and fired. He hit the hooded demon right in the top of the scalp and he waited for him to crumble. He looked at it and let it fall to the ground. The damage had been done; and he was the one who made it happen. He looked at this thing that was the representation of the entry of extraterrestrial force. He wondered if it had ill intentions to begin with and then decided it didn’t matter. He watched the life spill from its eyes. Those blank eyes that can still see and glow blue; Trevor never noticed before how they saw. The hood covered his face with a shadow but remarkably tan skin and an otherwordly look. The corpse of the demon lay on the hard ground waiting to be moved out of the way. It didn’t matter that he’d done nothing but play tricks; his motives unclear as to why he wanted to be without the red orb. He was stunned that Blaine had come out unscathed and the peace that was once with them all was shattered.

Supposing the objects in the area were alive, then they’d be feeling the waves of force that were wafting over Trevor’s body. Both in literal, and in shame and inability and partaking in consuming him with fear. The energy reading in the vicinity would be at an all-time high were they to be observed. “Goodness gracious.” Blaine said. “That went right over my head.” He was talking about the wave Alex had produced and set off. “No kidding.” said Alan in a bland impression. There was a beautiful silence in the evening. By the time the reality of his body set in, he was begging for acceptance of this. “David, please tell me you did not just end this.”

“I did.”

“There was so much at stake here.”

“and I put it all to rest.” he said. “Put it to rest? You pushed it far beyond. You excavated and dug beneath the soil for it.”

“Well, if you say so.”

“I think I just died inside.” said Alex. “You gonna throw up?” Blaine asked him rudely. “That was harsh.” Trevor conformed with Alex and Alan. David stood coldly with no presence and a little gawking. “So, what do we do with him?”

“We take him out to the creek.” said Trevor. “The creek?”

“Yes. I will drag him back into the woods.”

“But, how will you do that alone?” Blaine wondered. “I’ll manage.”

“Let me help you.” David requested. Trevor agreed and complied. There he went around the house and picked up the dead demon, caressing it gently to keep it in tact with David holding the waistline behind him until he got to the creek. He felt as though he should bring it into his own home and cover its face with analgesic cream. That was where the brunt of the infliction was done. His flesh was covered with permanent explosion defects and the gash at the top of his head was where it really got him. He appeared to have been demised by the energy beam which caused  slit in his frontal skull bone and pieced the coronal suture, inflicting destruction to his brain.

It was quite simple really, the layout of the wound, transgressed its way from David’s hand into a laser cannon that blew up this thing on impact and left his moving capabilities dulled and tainted. Trevor carried diligently to the back wetlands where he’d ran from a vigilant neighbor many years ago. He was heavy; like the size of an eighteen year old football player, only much less mass. He wasn’t sure how much longer he could hold on to him. Rambling through the tortuous trees and muddy, leafy ground on a path that led to the creek; he embarked further than the clearing and out a back hilltop to put him down on the most dug in ground that existed back there.

His body rolled and then returned once he’d laid him down. He was beginning to perspire. He left the body near the wetlands. Far away where it couldn’t be seen. He thought it’d be better that way. No telling what happened to Brittany either. She was nowhere in sight the whole night. Trevor guessed she probably had been taken and kept somewhere before she was left and he came back. When Trevor and David came back everybody was looking down. He raised his head and started to talk, but was cut-off. “Heyya, maybe I should go home now.” Blaine said. “Don’t go just yet.” Trevor asked of him. “Why not?”

“Because I want to see you use your powers again.”



© 2016 Stephen Caldwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

139 Views
Added on December 22, 2016
Last Updated on December 22, 2016

Living Virtues


Author

Stephen Caldwell
Stephen Caldwell

Concord, NC



About
Musician. Writer. Humble. Tattooed. Loving. Hating. Human. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell