What Imbalance

What Imbalance

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell

Chapter 47: What Imbalance

 

 

 

 

            Trevor screeched to a stationary position when he revisited the inner sanctum of the warehouse area. He was waiting for something, he didn’t want to drive or walk over to them. It wasn’t a good way to go, it could be fatal. He forgot he hadn’t looked for anything in his immediate locale. Abandoning the idea that he was inherently safe here. He could see a trail spiraling off down the far-side of his diagonal visage. He couldn’t tell if it was abandoned, and if it went to the apartments or somewhere else. He stepped out of the car and to the front side of the shabby warehouse and pressed the lock button on the doors. He could see a blue fender of a car in the apartment parking. It was the only one he could see. He made off for the trail, setting down his foreboding feelings and walking along till he saw a plethora of junked-out buildings that held a breaker room and a few garages. None of which was probably functional. He placed his index finger of the cuff of his back pocket and swung his arm around in a hostile form. It wasn’t oft that Trevor felt so threatened in an open environment. But, he sighted a bad sign.  There was a banging on metal that he heard from inside a sub-section of the nasty degraded buildings. An immensurable amount of time he wait to keep silent and be sure that no one was aware of him. He moved back to the breaker room type place and smacked a metal pole with a piece of iron that he saw on the ground. Anticipating that he, or she, would come out to see what was going on. Trevor wouldn’t be caught. He ducked under the porcelain tile separated from an obvious high-class home, but sitting in the dirt waiting for no-one to retrieve it. A sound. A clanking on what had to be a door sitting between the dug-out hem fixed between the end of the structure. He heard it open.  Someone exited and hustled out to the perimeter, dashing to the spot where Trevor had been a few seconds ago. He had to scramble around to the other side of the basin.  He sprawled out and forced himself to shove his nose into the dirt so he couldn’t be seen. The shuffling of grass and a few metal parts sat between him and whoever was over there. Peeking out above his cover, fixed on the outer part of the building as opposed to the place where it was. He moved his eyes to where the noise was coming from.  A man looking around on the practically broken table and around the tight space, he looking angry or agitated. Trevor could see him, he didn’t look human. He was lanky, like a giant ape, and muscular. Somewhere between 5”11 and 6” he would likely be over Trevor in height. Trevor could see his wavy hair that didn’t fluctuate in the breeze of today’s afternoon. He left the packed corner after he obviously didn’t find the source of Trevor’s distraction. He could see the man’s face now. He looked fierce with a solid look on face. No expression. His eye sockets were whited out and nothing could be seen in them. Trevor didn’t think twice, he hurled himself up and shot at the man who’d presented himself right here. Right now. He was definitely a demon, and a powerful one at that. Trevor reached in to take him out with everything he had. This one wasn’t going to get away, no, he ran at him. The person in front of him was surprisingly not disrupted by Trevor’s willful assault. He took a stance and rolled his foot back to strike back. If there was a way to hinder Trevor’s attack he had it. Because he kicked with the force that could crush a brick. Trevor buckled under the force of the blow. There wasn’t a better time to do something crafty. Trevor snapped his ankle and snagged his left arm, activated his powers in a fluid rhythm. His left hand started to come apart. It was excessively disgusting and when his arm started to go, he was struck on top of his head. Trevor wavered to get up, he couldn’t see or hear, unsure of how he was even conscious. But, he was. He rose, but only after feeling around for his senses. He could finally see again, not for a lack of peripherals. But, he moved back to get away from the form that was moving slowly toward him. There was not an object in between him and the foe he’d attempted to assassinate and failed. He was within range before he even knew it. Trevor, horrified, was ready to face the music. For the instant that left him stunned. He put his foot on his opponent’s upper calf and pushed it in. The statured figured didn’t break but it left him vulnerable. He mustered the strength to swing up to his right and get his enemies torso. He started to dissipate, but as he did Trevor was hit with a more solitary strike that knocked him back. He was almost knocked out. When he finally stirred he didn’t feel good at all. It hurt his body to move and his head was killing him. He got to his feet, brazened and tilted his head to where he thought the thing might be. He looked horrendously at the sight in the beaten path over to his target. It was on the ground, in pieces. Shifting back-and-forth around trying to piece itself back together possibly. Maybe it had the power to do so. Trevor was going to vomit. It barely bled, and made a horrible curdling while it writhed, torn apart by Trevor’s lack of execution. He braced himself, and leaned down and touched it one more time with the green aura that left his light a thick, dark green and massacred the body parts into oblivion. There was nothing left. He composed himself further by getting away from where he was. He was halfway down the trail, which wasn’t very long anyway. He tucked his hand into his pocket. A tiny bit of the blood, or whatever was inside of that creature stained his finger and he couldn’t seem to get it off. Wiping it on the inside of his jeans, but it wouldn’t come off. He’d slaughtered a demon this time. No chance he was going to let himself die until he was done. The incident had left certain aspects sifting in his mind.  Was he the cause of the wrecks? Was there some reason he was here, why he was lead here, and why he took off without any information. He would have to think this over. To ascertain what was happening, to beat whatever it was that was plaguing him and everyone around him. Trevor sat down in the driver’s seat and pulled down the sun-shade, while he sat there and formulated what to do.  Should he go home? What was there left to do in the city on this day. He couldn’t think of anything else. Right as he closed his eyes for a brief moment, the apartment complex flashed a bright orange. Trevor was startled this time. He shoved the key in and turned on the car. Lighting a cigarette as he did, he wasn’t sure what he was getting into. Plugging away at the stain on his finger while he worked out a viable route to the apartment rounds, he stuck it on a piece of paper towel and tried to rub it off.

           

Rolling forward with both hands off the wheel, he had to toss his cigarette. Trevor swung the wheel out and turned in to the back road behind the complex. He encountered a fire, burning brightly and raging at the mid-section of the palace of buildings housing what he guessed were upper-tier apartments. They smoked and kindled while he looked on in amazement. It shouldered the entire support of the sub-section, and allowed them to fall in down the middle. At least, that’s what would happen when they finished burning up. It was appalling, and clearly caused by a combustion of some sort, he set down his hands and let his astonishment follow. For the time he spent staring at the buildings he could have gotten out of the car and ran to see if anyone was okay. Trevor never waited for anything in his life, and yet now was at the most inconceivable of times. He pushed the door open and got out, still focusing on the blazing shingles, molding, and what was probably cement covered with some kind of polymer. He rushed over, getting as close as he thought to be alright. He could feel the hot inferno in the air. It fumed up wildly and begun searing the edges of the other units. Punching a hole in the roof and it finally collapsed. Coming down on itself, ruining the integrity of the lower floors as soon as it reached its plummet. Trevor hunted the place for any people around. He couldn’t see anyone at the moment. He started to get scared, somebody might think he did this. No, he was sure someone would indeed think he did. Looming over the foundation was a plume big enough to darken the parking area. He furnished his cell phone and jumped on the line. 911. The operator picked up fastidiously. He was actually on to what was going on. He told Trevor the police already knew the fire was burning and that firefighters and other squads would be on the way. Trevor thanked him for his time.

            Bustling to back behind where he’d turned in. He wasn’t aware of what to do. He had to get his car out of there. Lucking out, he saw the left side of the place was catching fire first. He ran back to the car and got in exponentially more quickly than he likely ever had. Turning it back around to the back road and gliding past the warehouse lot for a grazing escape. The huge fireball behind him sunk into the distance and faded while he got out of there.



© 2016 Stephen Caldwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on December 22, 2016
Last Updated on December 22, 2016

Living Virtues


Author

Stephen Caldwell
Stephen Caldwell

Concord, NC



About
Musician. Writer. Humble. Tattooed. Loving. Hating. Human. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell