Karen’s Vision

Karen’s Vision

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell

Chapter 112: Karen’s Vision

 

 

 

 

            Trevor marched up to David’s house at once stinging with unrest to the point of fury. He needed the fresh air too. He was suffocating in his house at such a critical point in his development. There was a still chill in the air even in April. He couldn’t wait to get together with David to try and figure out what was going on. He hoped his efforts wouldn’t be in vain. He clenched his belt one time before making it to his doorstep. He could see David cooking in the kitchen through the window and knocked loudly on the side door to make sure he was heard.

            David was alert as ever and walked to answer the door in tow. Trevor was sat there as he moved out to greet him. “Hi! Could we move back inside while I cook this food, I don’t want it to burn.” Trevor agreed and went in with him. He was busting up some ground beef and making meat sauce for his spaghetti. “I trust you want to go out tonight?” he asked him. “Yes. I do believe so.” Trevor said solemnly. “What do you suppose we do?”

            “I haven’t devised that yet.” he told him apprehensively. “I had a… a vision last night.” he lied, but it was easier and much more believable than the truth. “That angel that found us in the road that night has fallen from grace and I want to track him down and get him.”

            “So you wanna find this guy and take him out.” he said as he scooped his sauce onto hot noodles. “Yes. Although I have no idea where to do that.”

            “Ah. Therein lies the problem. Here’s a thought, what if you retrace your steps?”

            “Then we’d have to trek back up to the North and look there. It’d be a lot of effort with no promises.”

            “Just like everything else in the world, right.”

            “Uh.. right.” Trevor said dejectedly. He was disappointed. “Then we go after I eat.” After finishing his meal and going to get in David’s truck he paused and waited. He wasn’t sure if he should have Jamie help him tonight from his place in the North. He was thinking it might be a good idea, since he could now use his shield and the two of them just might not be enough firepower to deal with a rogue angel. Like many times before he’d counted on Jamie in that area to help him find leads. Unwittingly of course, but that was of no matter. He strongly felt he should. “What do you think about going to pick up Jamie to join us side-by-side in our search?”

            “I think it’s a grand idea.”

            “Good. That’s just what a wanted to hear.”

            “Hopefully we find him. If not then we’d just be wasting time up North.”

            “You’re right about that.” he responded hastily. “Let’s go then.”

            “Wait just a minute.” Trevor slowed him. “I’ll call Jamie.” Rrnng rngg. It rang. “Hello.” he said in a perplexing tone. “Yeah, bro, it’s me.” Trevor said. “Oh, what’re you doing tonight?”

            “Nothin’ much at the moment.”

            “Oh word. Well I’m probably going out again if you wanna come.”

            “Yeah, I’d love to. Lemme get dressed and ready so I can be there.”

            “Okay, see you soon.”

            “Okay.” He’d clicked off the phone. “Get ready to leave.” He told David. “Right.” He ran inside to fetch his things. His car keys, his track jacket, the works. He needed the ride tonight and the fresh air and promise of company was bonus. Trevor didn’t really need to get ready, he had accounted for the time it would take David to get his stuff and buy gasoline at the nearest station. When they pulled up to the pump in his truck, he put in forty dollars worth and that almost filled it up. They sped off to Jamie’s in a heartbeat and got to his rocky drive in less than ten minutes. Early evening, it’d already been dark outside for a while now. They went up to Jamie’s door per usual he came with dogs barking at his feet. Trevor wasn’t sure if it was the same dogs as before or not. But, they were making a racket all the same. He came outside and left them to wait. Laurie was in there doing God knows what. Probably sleeping; as it were, he jumped down and started pacing the gravel.

            Trevor was heated and didn’t know where to find this lost angel. He wondered if he’d even encounter it tonight. He became doubtful of that and even going anywhere fun. Not that mattered that he was or not. The only thing important to him was fulfilling his purpose. The cool April air was swept above his brow and he looked up at the lone moon as he found his shadow in the light below his feet and David’s too as he descended the stair-steps and waltzed into the porch lights. Jamie came out more quickly than expected and told them where they were going. David was following along as he gave him the directions but Trevor wasn’t. Likewise they followed him in the truck to get there. Before they reached their destination they passed a place on the highway with a big pig on it. He was sweltering in the cabin of the truck and rolled down the window. As they got there; an apartment complex on the far side of the next town over, he was seeing his breath in the air even in early April. Then pressed the window back up.

            “They might be drinking in here.” he said. “But, I’m not gonna.”

            “Me either.” Trevor said. He needed to keep his head clear and on the road ahead. This was starting to be painful and he wasn’t sure if he could face what was residing inside for him. He watched Jamie turn off his keys and begin to get out of the car. The both of them followed suit and took their time in getting in beside the door. Jamie knocked twice and the door swung open, showing a plethora of people standing in the kitchen by a small high-set table. Two were sitting at the table, three in the kitchen, and more in the room behind them so it would seem. He ran his fingers along the door frame as David closed it behind him. He didn’t know what to say, whether to joke or say hello to everybody as soon as he was in there.

            Next was a slew of liquor shots that everyone was taking. Trevor and David of course was not participating. They watched as everyone else was partaking and inhaled the clear liquid  as though it were some kind of silver energy that gave them life or made them stronger. Here and now Trevor had the urge to drink some but he had to refrain. He never knew when he might run into the rogue angel or a new demon, and being drunk for that would never be good. Though he felt the pressure take in the nonsensical, leisurely ways that were going on right now, he chose to remain cold and disillusioned for now. He’d never met any of these people, but apparently Jamie had. He wasn’t sure how he knew all these people, he’d known him for so long that he had to have no known at least one of them. “What does he do in his time away from me?” he thought. He appeared to know the owner of the place named Kyle who was tall and oblique looking. He had a confidence that never strayed though.

            He felt it even when he was taking the liquor in. Trevor heeled for a moment, waiting to let him swallow all the liquid and regain his normal composure. Then Trevor asked him, “What do you do to get a place like this?”

            “I work for the telephone company.” was all he said and put his glass down. That was all Trevor spoke for the remainder of a quarter of an hour. Trevor wanted to write things down, to record them as they were happening, but he had no pen and paper, just his smart phone and... “That’s it!” he thought. He took his smart phone out of his pocket and clicked away. He finished up by explaining that he was a guest here at these apartments and he was looking for the lightning bug on the Northside of this town. Then he stopped and took notice of Jamie and David. They were mingling fiercely and Trevor was left with nothing to say. It was ailing Trevor like a plague. Why could it be so hard just to speak. There was no way he could just sit there and let his tongue be tied. “Hey.” he said to David. “Hey buddy, how ya doin’?” Trevor didn’t know such a mundane question could be so hindering. “I’m fine. Just uneasy I guess.”

            “Why so?”

            “I don’t know. Part of me wants a drink, but I really don’t want to.”

            “Then don’t.” Jamie blurted in. “That was weird, it was like he knew something I didn’t. What was that about?”

            When he was typing away on his phone, he likely looked like he was only texting somebody. In reality he was recording his own movements and concerns. Right now he was more so with the co-owner Bobby and him sitting back in the living room. It was like he was just waiting for something to go wrong, so he could shoe everyone out; or maybe just David and Trevor. David had his cool factor on over one-hundred percent and was making the group over here laugh with some kind of banter. Trevor made his way into the living room and cocked his head to the television screen. He was playing a war game much like the one he’d played previously. His girlfriend was sitting there also. He wondered why he’d been looking in the kitchen earlier. It was incomprehensible. He walked back and rested against the counter-top. The mood in the environment seemed to be settling down now. “Oh, man I totally forgot.” He’d forgotten that she was developing a device to bring the angel down; the witch that is. He wondered if he even needed to do that. He imagined that he probably should go see her after the party, and take David with him. He wondered if she’d be comfortable with that. He guessed it wasn’t an issue. If the angel had fallen to Earth already then what would be the point of making something to keep him down. Maybe it was a good idea, maybe not.



© 2016 Stephen Caldwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on December 22, 2016
Last Updated on December 22, 2016

Living Virtues


Author

Stephen Caldwell
Stephen Caldwell

Concord, NC



About
Musician. Writer. Humble. Tattooed. Loving. Hating. Human. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell