Reconfiguration

Reconfiguration

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell

Chapter 100: Reconfiguration

 

 

 

 

 

            They arrived at Jamie's at 7:02 p.m. The driveway was thick and muddy, but the rocks let the vehicle have tread for the duration of their stay in the dwelling of his land. He put it in park and flipped the emergency brake as well. David and Trevor sat there in the pouring rain waiting for a chance to move to the door with minimal wetness getting on them. They hustled to the door and wrung that bell that rung the familiar tune. Jamie came to the door and so did his dog and it wouldn't stop jumping all over them. A small pincher that howled and ran around in circles while he walked into Jamie's room with him. David decided to stay in the kitchen and flip through his phone. Trevor whisked to the mirror standing by itself in his room and he sat on his bed messing around on his own smart phone. “So, what's the verdict for tonight?”

            “I found a party up in Brockwell.” Trevor wasn't exactly sure where that was. “When are we going?” he asked. “We can go right now if you want to.”

            “So, that's that.” Trevor said. “Mhmm.” Jamie said with a grin while David sat out there. Trevor went to the bathroom to pee and check what he looked like. He saw the scrappy beard he was beginning to grow. It wasn't too bad actually. It became thick around the edges and chin. “Right. Let's go.” he said as soon as he was done and walked back in the room. Then Trevor headed outside for another cigarette. He broke out the door and found the winter air invading his throat. He chose not to smoke a cigarette and just be tranquil in the frigid winter wind in the rain. It was soothing and made him feel alive. He couldn't wait to leave. There was something about Jamie's place that made him feel anxious, like he just wanted to get out of there. He wasn't sure what that was. There was a gust of wind that washed over him like a clothes line and sent a chill through him like a surge. Where before it'd just been a constant drop in body temperature, the wind chill was probably appealing but not ideal. There wasn't anybody around so he threw his hands over the porch-rail and took a deep breath. “ahh.” he sighed. David came bellowing out behind him.

            “Oh, hey.” Trevor said embarrassed. “Hey buddy.” he said in a low tone. Trevor haphazardly turned around and accidentally touched him. “Oh s**t, my bad.”

            “It's fine. So where are we going? I heard there was another party.”

            “Brockwell apparently. Which I have no idea where that is.” he explained. “Oh, um, okay.” he replied. “What's the point of another party? I don't feel like getting drunk again.”

            “I might.” Trevor said with decisiveness. “Mkay. Then it's settled. We go to Brockwell.” he said in an amusing manner. “Right...”

            Trevor responded as they loaded up Trevor felt despondent. Like every ounce of pressure had been lifted, but left him feeling empty. More-or-less avid to going drinking again. But, moving toward the side of this being what he wanted to do tonight. “So, I guess we go tonight?”

            “Yes, indeed we do.” Sixteen minutes later they were on the road. “Hey pass the beer.” Trevor said. He was drinking on the road. They past a flurry of cars going the opposing direction, creeping along steadily among the back roads. Directing toward the right, probably turning off some old country road to find the place they were going. If they could find it. Jamie was using his GPS Tracker® to get there. Which made Trevor feel at ease, he let his mind run  free to the eastern direction while he rode. To get there they had to cross over an old concrete bridge and a creepy looking forest. He was curious if there was any kind of strange stories about the woodlands here. Nothing he'd ever heard about. They were in luck, they came upon the place within about seven minutes. With not a second to spare. Perhaps it was because the place was easy to find. Right off the secondary main road. They sat waiting for over ten minutes after they arrived. Not everything could go road. Where exactly they were Trevor did not know, but obviously somewhere in Brockwell. They sat with the music pretty load and he was enjoying himself. Then it hit him, what if this were some kind of play used to lure him there. He couldn't fathom what kind of enemy would be the cause of such treachery. But, it could very well be so. What did he think was going on? They were finally escorted out of the truck by a female house-guest. Trevor moved up the porch steps with some strain. When he got into the place he was amazed. There was a fish tank set-up and the kitchen looked like a bar. He clung to the side of the counter top and set the beer down and got one. He did noticed the air in here was very warm and murky. Almost like they'd been shut up in here for some time. When Jamie sat down Trevor did too, and David lingered around the doorway like he didn't want to be here. Now they were getting good and drunk and were lead outside to a fireplace to warm up while still being outside. The host was masterfully kindling the fire while they and three others sat down in an array of chairs. The atmosphere was cold and the environment warm which made for an oddly rousing mix while they handled their alcohol and talked about diverse things in hopes they were being compliant and courteous. So, when the fire died down they were ready to leave and they three piled in the truck and started returning home. All together the night had gone peppily and easily. Trevor was still very psyched. He smoothly hopped in the passenger seat with another beer in his hand and scrolled through his phone which was connected to the car stereo-Now that they were back on the road, Trevor wasn't sure if anything paranormal would happen. If something were to, he wouldn't see how he would handle it since he was extremely drunk. He watched Jamie fly past trees for upwards of twenty-five minutes until they were back closer to his house. Trevor was still chugging beers and switching songs over and over again. He spoke quietly to David every once in a while to say that he wanted another drink.

            They eventually made it to Jamie's driveway once again and pushed play on a song one more time before he turned the truck off. No bad tiding to be seen in his perspective for the moment. When he stepped out of the truck the crisp air graced his lungs and he inhaled a deep breath then began breathing normally. What he didn't know was...



© 2016 Stephen Caldwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on December 22, 2016
Last Updated on December 22, 2016

Living Virtues


Author

Stephen Caldwell
Stephen Caldwell

Concord, NC



About
Musician. Writer. Humble. Tattooed. Loving. Hating. Human. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell