The Intermission

The Intermission

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell

Chapter 22: The Intermission

 

 

 

 





           

            A bright sunny morning, sure he was late, it was an odd constant for senior year. He’d usually been early through every other grade in high school. He remembered that Michelle had once made him late to class. It addled him that he didn’t have any other reasons to be late on a day like today. Trevor drank a cup of coffee this morning instead of eating anything at all. His stomach was upsetting him, but he wouldn’t let it get to him. He smiled walking in to first period in the midst of the rest of his future graduates. Proceeding to sit down and daydream for the duration of the period. Out in the hall, he found Chase a close friend of Jamie. Though he didn’t really think he knew Trevor knew him. He asked him if he knew how Jamie was doing. He said he didn’t. He didn’t seem to say much of anything to anyone that was in school or otherwise. “I’m sure he has his reasons and I’m sure he’s not doing nothing.” then he remembered he had a girlfriend right now. It was safe to assume that he was likely heavily invested in her. Although the thought lingered that he might not get the opportunity to convince him to get adjoined. That and that they’d never fully form Where We Sleep and whatever could come from that. Chase was gazing at the students walking by as he saw a group and went over to join them. Trevor was still lost in thought, only now he was considering whether or not to talk to Jamie today. There was no reason not to. So approving upon that there was nothing else to think about. He could sit in class and talk with his classmates about graduation and the prom dance if they had the chance to. To be precise, the school administration threatened to take away access to the high school prom if the students didn’t stay on their good behavior. Trevor was unconcerned.



            He barely spoke to anyone in his entire class regardless. Not lengthily anyway. Coming back off fourth period, he ridiculed himself for about five minutes until fifth. Mostly for not paying the most attention in class read along, but also stupid conversation he made sitting among his closest classmates. Something about how the next greatest superhero movie was about to drop. Trevor said, “I probably won’t go.” He pondered whether it mattered or not he was associated or just saying his own thoughts on the matter. He guessed not. Fifth period had arrived and no intervention his attitude occurred. He was bored. No, beyond it, this was malcontent at its most pure. So much so that he begun to become annoyed. Annoyance turned to anger as he sat waiting for class to end. He couldn’t stand another second of anything having to do with the subject he was currently studying in the class he was soon to exiting, and he couldn’t understand why he was feeling this way. No matter. He felt tried and wholly unchanged from the disconcerting feeling during the 4th block. It wasn’t to say that it had ruined his day. But, it had certainly to the past hour and something. Looking out through the halls as he distanced himself from the classroom, nothing could be further from the truth to say he’d planned on heading to the parking lot to catch a ride with David. But, as he rounded the stairs, he bumped in to a girl carrying a purse and one book. He did so and exclaimed, “I’m sorry!” She smiled brightly. One of the most genuine he’d seen actually. In his docile yet grueling life in the American school system. For a second he felt bashful. Trevor knew that didn’t fit him well. She forgave him. His would be internal-monologue would’ve said, “What’s up with me?” she was already walking up the stairs. If he were thinking clearly, he would have wondered why she was going up stairs after the last class. But, he wasn’t. Instinctively he ran to the top and almost hit her again.


            “Wait…” he paused. “Who are you?” Before he caught that this wasn’t the question he meant to ask. More like “What’s your name?” she was already answering. “err… I’m Alana. This is my very first year here.” Somehow she didn’t sound unconfident as she spoke. “I was just asking your name.” Trevor said.  “Oh yeah, well like I said, I’m Alana! Nice to meet you.” She said. Cheerfully and extended her hand.” He stared at it and grabbed it as he drew his eyes back up to her face, a lovely handshake for a speedy recovery. “Trevor. I’m Trevor.”


            “So do you live around here?” a very personal question. “Yeah! I live in a neighborhood right by the school actually.”  There was that smile again. He didn’t know what it was. Maybe the absence of a sense of duty behind it, like there was no reason she had to be so lively. She just was, and was being so to Trevor. This enticed him as another moment passed. Two or so minutes of small-talk and another of those smiles, something about being the grade under him and how she liked more-or-less all her classmates. Disturbed by how she only talked about the school and others, but immediately asked her for her number with a noticeably forward gesture. Like he wanted her to know he was being too assertive. She obliged. Carefully taking the time to put each number in the contact slot, but also quickly. Before he knew it he was gleaming back with his own undoubtedly intimidating smile. Almost fake-looking really. In actuality more of a cocky-smirk, but also sincere, comfortable now with the idea he might talk to her again. He wasn’t sure why he had the tenacity to impose himself so randomly. On a school day undergoing badly, not a chance he would let such a simple opportunity get away. It certainly felt right.  After some parting words “bye” or “see ya” and a wave, he left. Once home, he ate some ramen noodles and took a nap, getting back up in the receding hours unto midnight. He didn’t bother to look at the time, remaining focused, though still half-woke, he groomed himself and dressed. He called up David. He answered. Presuming Trevor would know what to do, he told him. He’d be coming down to meet him. As he seemingly shot down like a rocket, arriving in around five minutes. Trevor contacted Jamie first thing, less than two minutes before his other friend arrived. He explained he was hanging out with a newly found friend of his at his very own place, and further elaborated that he was gathering some tonight to celebrate the end of high school for most. Assuming he could come, Trevor asked what they were doing and where it was. Jamie explained that it was near a power supply station out towards the next town. Trevor was bemused by the awkward admonishing of the situation that was coming together. Slightly embarrassed, he didn’t know how would tonight would go, but he knew that he would go.


            But, it sounded fun and by now, David and Trevor both had their licenses.  David was the one chosen to drive this time. So they headed out as quickly as possible. Trevor snagged a couple of his mom’s beers before departure. He drank them merrily on the way, while songs played on the radio. As tires came to mostly a half, they arrive at a mostly filled lot. Creeping quietly through the darkness, approaching steadily. The achromatic gap between residences filled the silence of the night that settled here. Next to each other, entering the apartment cautiously, they both straddled in and closed the door behind them after they tapped the door and someone opened it. The total of the bodies sat varied about the room. It was obviously the entrance room to this apartment, and quite limited, but they filled the room graciously. Songs were playing one-by-one out of both the computer and the minimalistic TV that sat adjacent to the kitchen. Where most of the guests were placed. He said, “Hi” to Jamie and struck up a conversation. Something about the new music of which they’d both mutually heard. Trevor was confounded by the fact he’d just been listening to it the other day, so he found it questionable. Though, he figured that he was on top of his game and had an idea of what he was doing with himself. This made Trevor feel at ease and also immensurate, much more comfortable with tonight. He began drinking and partying to extremes. Downing drinking as the people around did the same, mostly minding their own business. It wasn’t even close to enough. Jamie, the owner of the place, David, and a few other guests. One of which Trevor thought he did recognize moved to the bedroom, and back to an open bathroom. The host here formally introduced himself as Lester. Trevor made a comment about the uncle from The Adam’s Family show and drunkenly hummed the opening and laughed as one of the unknowns rolled up a cigar full of Mary Jane. The combination of flavored tobacco wrapped around decent marijuana was delectable when already having a pleasurable time. Of course, when people within the group got-to smoking. People got-to talking. As the clouds of carbon-monoxide cannabis smoke erased itself from the convergence, it almost seemed like it never happened. But, while the feeling stuck, the rest went a few at a time out of view. He was trying to recollect what they talked about. It wasn’t much. A vast range from personal plans to dumb media references. He wasn’t sure whether to jump in on either side of the conversation. Fairly sure he’d said something about his fourth time ever getting drunk and that he was glad to meet Lester. If he was this faded now then he was practically left with no one to speak to. Though an excellent song was playing and exited the back area. Sitting down on the first piece of furniture he picked out. Nodding his head now and again the peace he experienced was broken. He couldn’t put down his drink yet. Yet was unsure if he was drinking it either. Eventually he got up and had casual conversation with Lester and Jamie while he finished his drinking. David was doing God-knows-what. Most of the time he was cherishing how many drinks were being tossed around. At one point he’d gone to get more beer for him and Trevor that Trevor himself had chipped in on. It was almost gone already. Nothing left to do but leave, but not yet. He didn’t want to. Although there wasn’t much left to be desired, but that didn’t bother fully inebriated Trevor. He was enjoying the remaining company via strange convo on a school night. He wasn’t much for the monumental moment in life, hell, if anything he was more for the sentimental reminders. But, if there was one this could’ve been one.


            There were a few girls left that David offered to take home. Though they’d planned on leaving a good while ago, they still were drunkenly parading around the outside gardening with a manner of dottiness. Trevor and David were standing heavily intoxicated in the morning light peeking out above the eastern sky. In awe of the night they’d just been through. Yes, they were on the way home, or rather, taking the two wherever they were going. Super cramped in the cabin. Did Trevor feel bad or overtly fatigued? No. Though he felt drained, it wasn’t anything perilously trying to today’s stamina. He enjoyed the time spent in the car as it was sobering him, and the people including his close friend possibly lamenting the crisp air and the road by early daylight. But, he was loving it. It was to be basked in, like the arid landscape of a battlefield and its victor looking back over it. After dropping them off, Trevor and David smoked a cigarette with the windows down in silence. He’d bought some at the store the night before, not long before the store closed. It hit him that they were both eighteen now. It wasn’t much to say, but it was something. He knew that there was much more to be said about the two of them, speaking from his behalf.








© 2017 Stephen Caldwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
Added on December 22, 2016
Last Updated on February 23, 2017

Living Virtues


Author

Stephen Caldwell
Stephen Caldwell

Concord, NC



About
Musician. Writer. Humble. Tattooed. Loving. Hating. Human. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell