The Best is not to Come

The Best is not to Come

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell

Chapter 53: The Best is not to Come

 

 

 

 

            Right as he began getting ready for the day, he experienced an ailing sensation that gripped his heart. There was more to it than that. Although, he didn’t rescind that it was just an average feeling of human makeup. It was extenuating. The pain not extreme in the least. It would not subside. For now he was laxing in a position good for his stiff back. The cold bombarding him in the coupe must’ve damaged him more than he thought. It probably did. Since he’d woken with no peripherals or impaired mental state, and half asleep. He wasn’t cold anymore, but while he could feel his temperate was proper. He knew he hurt some. Mainly because the miniature hairs that were his lashes were iced over and stuck. He ran them under hot water and they settled down. “Weird.” He wandered to the back porch and packed a bowl of some weed. He’d gotten his father to get him some and he was for sure not letting it go to waste.

            So he smoked. Purely, for fifteen minutes. Stoked on the new developments, later that day he was feeling warmer and better. He huddled up to the sound of darkened heavy music by way of the computer and went to the pages of several of the bands he found. This went on for about five hours until he finally decided to turn it off. Hurting slightly, he went to eat, but stood in the bathroom for a time. He hung around in there until he decided to smoke some more weed. Rolling a joint and putting himself back in front of the computer. Looking at the paper in his hand and then at the computer. He kept gawking and leaning forward while he rolled it. The thing had him in some kind of trance, or maybe recognition. He couldn’t tell. Not what, but for what he was looking. He sort of dropped the J in a careless effort of being consumed by what he was doing. By the time he became conscious of what was happening he couldn’t stop it. He’d paused time itself once again and now he could move. Not only that, but he could also see in color. “Whoa!” Trevor churned as he looked at himself in the mirror. “What’s that now? You say? You can’t see me? Well, I’ll just have to make myself more apparent!” he jested to himself. Sticking his tongue out and putting his hands down on the countertop. “Nice face.” He joked again. He shut off his new found power and turned off the fan. “I guess I have evolved…” he began to say.

            “What?” he heard. His mom walked by the door that was wide open and came in for a second. “Oh… not much. I was just saying I’ve come so far.”

            “In what?” she said. Quizzically. “Life.” He told her, and walked out. He chased her back down. “Hey Mom!”

            “What is it?”

            “Can I have some money?”

            “What for?”

“So I can go do fun stuff.”

 

            “Like what?” she asked. “Get drunk and party.” He said. He could tell she was rehensible about this. “Okay…” she decided. She ended up giving him about ninety dollars, and he scurried off ecstatically. Today was the day, or rather, tonight. He was going to see if he could get into something crazy. Maybe even dangerous, that’s what he was hoping for. To provoke something to come forth so he could take it out. The night stretched out to the further side of town, as Trevor watched the miles go under his wheels. He looked directly at the gas gauge, it was pretty low. “Whatever.” He laughed discontentedly and kept on. Speeding off to the place he knew had a gathering to it. But, like a great exodus, the rather foreboding place he’d only known once before he knew he would have to leave it behind; And also, that he’d have to make a call, particularly to Jamie. He didn’t feel super confident talking to him for the moment. Though he needed somewhere to go, and soon. For the absence of a game plan was a dying factor he could not afford. The life of the night called him. He caressed his cell phone in his left hand while making for Jamie’s contact. Jamie, he thought might’ve been out-and-about, but that wasn’t a surety.

            The phone blurped as he waited for a response. He picked up. “Hey! What’s up, bro?”

            “Gahh, what’re you doing man that’s loud.”

            “I’m partying. Partying off some loud and beer. It’s crazy.”

            “Oh s**t. You think I could come through and get in on that? I’ve been driving around for a few. What I was looking for didn’t pan-out.”

            “Oh, huh…” He seemed disgruntled or confounded by what he said. “Yeah man. Let’s get s****y and go balls out.” He seemed more excited than before. Trevor felt more upbeat and happy himself. “Okay where at?”

            “This house off of church street, turn off by the funnel cake place and you’ll see it.”

            “Alright.” Trevor had hung up by now. He knew exactly where that was and was ready to roll out the red carpet for some fun. In eighteen minutes he was already passing the little shop. It couldn’t be more obvious where this was going on at.

            For a time, he sat parked as far as could be from the house that was jam packed with cars that sat flushed all the way down the road. For starters, he felt so delayed about getting out of his car to head inside.

            If he was going to do so, he would likely wait to see someone outside. Not to flag them down, so to say, but follow them in and get to where he could find Jamie. For once, his predetermination worked. A girl, an older looking female, and one guy exiting the house all moved through the doorway at the same time. Like a trace set in motion by God, he felt he shall move in at this moment, the confines of the first room he went into were fairly moderate. In respects to people that was. He made-off directly for the next which is what the two he followed was doing. Like a bird in flight, he loosened up as soon as he walked into a hallway where he could see two more rooms absolutely filled with people. The drastic change in his vision heightened his sense of awareness. Trevor locked down his enthusiasm for a more slight touch of wile still inside. There really wasn’t much choice but for it to be there. He had put his coat in the crook of his arm. Likewise it looked like Jamie was holding on to his hoodie. For a pass he was gawking at some females in the hall while he tried to sync his position. But, he couldn’t stay in one place. For the place was moving about with party-goers like a windmill on the hillside. While his eyes accidentally aligned with one of theirs, he jutted around and began storming into the room he soon found was a kitchen. At least in the ephemeral sensibility of what he did when he got to the other end of the hall. There wasn’t a space he could get over to him from. Likewise he couldn’t figure out how to carry himself when he settled in to a corner of the so-called kitchen. In a power-play he actually shoved his way through several groups standing about to get near where he wanted to be. Interestingly enough Trevor liked the compactory way things were for the time being. Which normally unnerved him, never unencumbered, he took to it as guests started looking around for places to go, people to see, and drinks, smokes, or otherwise to be had. For once in his life he forced a smile for the vibrance of the two machos standing adjacent to him chugging two beers at a time and Jamie looking right at them, then to his left. Craning next to a girl whom Trevor did not know. She sported a small light hoodie with a red logo and allowed him to whisper to her. Assumingly that he could tell her what he was thinking. At a glance, persay, what he was going to do next. Not thinking about. Like a foreman leading a construction worker. Only this was not a job site. This was a house party, and Jamie moved out of the room somehow, with Trevor unsure of where to follow, or even if.  He kind of wrung his jacket and put it back on. Becoming bothersome. This light knowledge of the surroundings had him forfeit the notion. He clung to the bar where he stood and at some interval received a beer. Then another. Maybe, about three more as well. As it was, he noticed almost everyone holding one, or simply drunk. These guys were stocked, as it seemed. Trevor exited the back door for a minute and smoked a cigarette. Just a brief second later, a girl came outside and saw him. She stuck there with him and smoked one as well. Allegedly her name was Pressley, and she had a looked around for something to do tonight and found this immediately. He probably had a difficult time keeping a conversation, but kept on with some ardor. It was residual and speciously mutual. For the time Trevor was once again enamored.

            It’d been quite some time before he’d felt that way, years even. Of course, there wasn’t much to this because he knew that this was a spontaneous predicament and wouldn’t allow it to linger. So as he got up, he’d sat down during part of the conversation. He led her inside and split to locate Jamie. Which did not come easy, Trevor looked around the whole place for five minutes, finally going back to troll for some added alcohol. “Excuse me.” said a voice. Trevor turned around. To be exact, he saw a young lady, older than him though, who looked very discernable. Despite that she hunched next to him and asked if he knew anything about the owner of the place. He said he didn’t. Trevor didn’t know who she was, but she stood beside him facing aside his posture. She was lighting up a cigarette, he asked for one. She was aloof, and more than likely didn’t hear him. He asked again and she handed him one. It wasn’t for the fact that she was being very cross with him. But, that she’d asked her question yet continued to stand there. He decided to ask her…



© 2016 Stephen Caldwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

132 Views
Added on December 22, 2016
Last Updated on December 22, 2016

Living Virtues


Author

Stephen Caldwell
Stephen Caldwell

Concord, NC



About
Musician. Writer. Humble. Tattooed. Loving. Hating. Human. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell