Bunker Busting Bonds

Bunker Busting Bonds

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell

Chapter 27: Bunker Busting Bonds

 

 

 

 





           

Trevor roused somewhere. He had no idea. What looked like a dark cavern way up high. He felt like he was very high up for some reason. Maybe the air pressure. The air was thin and dry. Cold too, though not too cold, like a still coldness inside the house in the wintertime that’s been locked down for quite some time. Although, it was open air as far as he could tell. It was very dark but he could see around the edges. As if they were highlighted with strips of halogen lights. But it was strange, like paper white. As if even the light in here was not real, it was disorienting, no doubt Trevor had been sucked into some vortex. He could’ve swore he saw the cusp of something swallowing the room around him with speed and violently. Of course, this wasn’t certain. But, he thought he remembered that being the last thing he saw. Two-steps and he was getting closer to the exit. No use worrying about what was to come. Anything was better than a dark uninhabited cave. He moved onward, one foot in front of the other. As he came to the edge of a tunnel, it broke out into a cliff with a ledge, unsurprisingly, everything looked colorless. Like the inner sanctum of it was made of sheets. He touched the side where he could, hard as a rock. In fact, it probably was. No telling though, as shrewd as it was. Trevor was apprehensive to move. He had no idea how he’d get down, or where to go at all…


            He looked down and saw a building, a complex facility. No bars or fences. It looked pretty old style architecture. But, it was locked down tight. He couldn’t see a door from where he was standing, consequently he could see every piece of the way it was designed. “Must be a prison.” He thought. “Right!” Don had told him that the Demon’s powers he acquired was a keeper of some domain that was held in hell. Trevor looked toward one of the walls of the place and saw a castle jutting out from a dug out portion. He cast his eyes back down to the complex. “It must house thousands of Demons.” He looked around for a way down.


            “I can’t think of a single damn way to get down there.” Nothing did come to mind. “Wait, I have an…” He took a leap of faith and plummeted off to the basin. His legs buckled and snapped. “Ahhhhhhh….” He cried. Screamed some more and rolled around. He knew what he could do though. He healed his legs back to normal within minutes. They still hurt when he got up, but, they were no longer broken. He limped forward with strife, but a gleam in his eye left him fearless. He bolted after approaching the building. Running parallel trying to find a door. Eventually he did indeed find a large metal door that was held together by the unblemished mortar that made up the place’s walls. The handles were large steel, and pulling them open would be a hard task to accomplish. He gave them a tug, no luck. He pulled both with all his weight, didn’t work. Even worse, it was stretching his back and chest in a way that couldn’t be healthy. He grabbed the left’s handle and put his foot on the crease of the right. Pulling the handle with both hands and easing the other leg up and putting it directly under the other in unison. As he yanked with everything he had, the steel barge between him and the internals of the housing slid open. It was so heavy he let his foot down as he could not keep up this position. For the door was blocking his leg’s reach. He continued to pull it out, lifting slightly to make sure the door wouldn’t be stopped by the ground or any sediment. Then he took a rest when he was sure the door would not fall back. But, he wasn’t taking any chances. He was not going through that again. Trevor went around through the open section and wedged himself between the open door and the closed one. He spanned himself. Placing his feet on the enclosed portion of the giant door’s frame and laying laterally. Pushing with his hands and feet to open the rest of the left door forcefully. Unforeseen circumstances occurred. He fell onto his hands as he widened the gap with every ounce of strength in him, almost hitting his face on the foundation of the structure. Felt like he almost broke his hands too. No time to worry about that. He may not have the energy to heal his sore muscles, but he did heal his hands which required little effort. Plunging into the building at a brisk run without regard. It was daunting and spooky inside. Only the light from outside helped his way, which still shone in like a white-out brushed zone out of an artist’s mind. Everything else was either dull, black, or unseen. He wasn’t going to backtrack. Here was a place he’d never known, and he was running in. Caution to the wind. Having trouble he began focusing on staying in the center of the hallway. Nothing could be done about it. The more he stepped in the more he couldn’t see, or maybe…


He switched on time-stop. As he’d imagined he could see down the monstrous entranceway. He saw some off-shoots far away and one door off to the right. One problem being he still couldn’t move, he blipped off and was dunked back in to darkness again. No choice, he lit up his hands and leaped his way to the door as the bold green light from his hands allowed him to get there. Making sure to settle them before opening it carefully, he activated time-stop again from the safety of the doorway. Some kind of post station, there were drop boxes all over the place. A fairly wide room, though still small enough to be considered a station. Trevor knew he had to switch off his eyes. Before that, he noticed a set of keys on the wall, a door in the right-hand corner of the room, another in the left, and a giant writing board between them. Trevor didn’t wonder why no one was here at all. But, he did remember there was his cell phone in his pocket. So he shut off the still vision and whipped it out. Lining the shelves with the screen light, looking for anything he could use. There were certainly no letters to prisoners contained here. Just documents, closed memos, and what he presumed were packages. No reason to be occupied with what they held. Pressing on to the marking board, he flashed stop-time to look at it. Glazing over the names written there, sure enough, the head hancho was written at the top of the chart. Greeley, the only name that wasn’t connected to a tree-chart “Oh yeah.”. Trevor went back to grab the keys on the wall behind him.


Almost dropping his cell as he attempted to shine it where he knew the keys were. “Whoa!” he gasped. Time sight was still running. He put the keys back on the hangar and gave them a tap. They didn’t move. “Wow.” Trevor thought as he took them back off and put them in his back pocket. “Right.” He confirmed to himself. No time to waste. His vision still going. Odd, since he didn’t think it would do this in the regular world of humanity. Picking this door was a simple choice. It was the closest and the same side as the keys and the other had a window on it. He looked up and it simply said closet on it. He opened it up with care. It certainly was a closet. Not only that, but there was a breaker on the back wall. But, the room was stuffed with not cleaning utensils and supplies, but a row of handguns and a stock of bottles with assorted designs on them. He proposed on going for the breaker first. Good idea. He flipped the set of smaller switches on the bottom row labeled posts and watch. The area lit with the same cool white that was dispersed outside. Only a somewhat lessened form from all the ceiling. Not really questioning how the surface area could produce light, he looked in the gun holsters placed on knobs on the wall. Then searched the row of bottles on a super-sized shelf ajar the wall. He perused them thoroughly, then grabbed the smoky colored one with the skull on it. The first he’d seen. He didn’t know why he needed it but it could be useful, or used as another weapon. So it couldn’t hurt. Unless drinking it would. So, he had light, two weapons. So to speak, and some knowledge he previously didn’t. “A good harvest I’d say.” Trevor snickered.


 


He exited the closet choosing not to mess with the switch on the panel that said security. Back in the station, the only option was to check the other door. It had a window and was also steel construction. Only able to anticipate. It was unlocked. He stepped toward it. The door designated warden. Locked. “Drat! Oh, I have a key ring.” He ran his fingers through the set looking at each one. No words on them. There was a large silver key that stood out. He turned it in the odd looking lock on the door. It clicked. “Excellent.” Again, he stood at the doorway with a wariness. It was quaint room. He knew it probably looked very brown and homely if it wasn’t lit up the way it was. From here it looked like a scene out of a 60s Hollywood film. That aside, he stepped in, sort of leering at the desk, chair, and the map on the wall. Not of the world, but assumedly the seven circles of hell. No doubt it was likely accurate. He searched the desk. Nothing useful. Though it did contain interesting things. Granted… the master really had nothing to be seen here. Although, something was fishy about the papers on the desk. One was wrapped in a big cover and stacked with bound paper. He tore it open and looked without a second thought. Trevor writhed in dismay as he read its contents. The writings titled My Absolution by Greeley told of his power and how he wanted one being on Earth to have it so that he may ensnare the populace and work them all and then put them all to death. For if they were to escape his realm would be stained and no order among hell could ensue if the existing operation could not be replicated the way it was, then they most certainly would.


            He stopped reading once this was explained. It was critical. So, there was nothing Trevor could do besides follow through. Though he didn’t understand what it meant totally. He locked the door on the way out. Making sure to put back everything as it was left.








© 2017 Stephen Caldwell


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on December 22, 2016
Last Updated on February 23, 2017

Living Virtues


Author

Stephen Caldwell
Stephen Caldwell

Concord, NC



About
Musician. Writer. Humble. Tattooed. Loving. Hating. Human. more..

Writing
Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell


Prologue Prologue

A Chapter by Stephen Caldwell