Chapter 13: Zeik the eagle

Chapter 13: Zeik the eagle

A Chapter by Eyudo
"

read to see

"

Chapter 13

Zeik the eagle

 

 

 

     The next morning I woke up to the beautiful sounds of robins and sparrows. I had never heard that before because Midnight use to scare them all away with a single echoing bark in the morning when I’d let him out.

     I went down to the pantry to get something to eat, since I hadn’t eaten in a day or two. I went over to the door and opened it to climb down. That was the time I was gonna find something new. I grabbed a random can off the shelf and went to take it upstairs. I turned around though, after I heard something hit the floor with a clink.

     I looked on the floor and saw something small, cylinder-like, and shiny. I went back over and picked it up, being careful not to reopen my wounds. I examined it and saw it was a whistle of some sort. It was silver and seemed to be polished. I went back upstairs and outside to blow it. I wanted to see what it sounded like.

     I wiped it off and then, blew it hard. It was so high pitched, and it echoed through the forest and came all the way back. I shrugged my shoulder, put it into my pocket, and went to look for kindle and a few things that I needed to get. Mainly wood and food.

     I had only gone like twenty or thirty feet, and broken off just a few branches when I heard it. It was a long, loud, equally as echoing screech in the sky somewhere near me. I looked up, trying to see what the noise was coming from. That’s when the thing swooped down from the sky, it barley clipped my hair.

     I looked up and saw a bird of some sort. It was like a hawk, or a falcon maybe. It turned around in the sky and came down to swoop again. It came near me, but I moved aside and got a good look at it this time. “Oh my God! It’s an eagle!” I said rapidly. Then I ducked again as the persevering bird swooped for a third time.

     He missed me, but used his talons to grab a root that came out and up from the ground. That stopped him pretty quickly when he was still moving and the root went nowhere with him. He was violently yanked backwards by the root and fumbled on the ground a few times. It looked bad. He stood up and shook off his ruffled feathers. He hopped up a few times to fly, but it didn’t seem to do any good. He jumped high the last time, but spiraled down and crashed when he hit the ground.

     I cautiously approached him and held him down. His wing seemed to be badly hurt. He definitely couldn’t fly any more for a while. He saw me as he turned his head finally and gave a faint squawk. He stood up and jumped onto my arm. He was heavy! He must have weighed over seventy pounds and was about two feet tall. I had to lean to the other side to keep from falling over. It was a task to match.

     I wobbled into the cabin with him still on my arm and he flew off, well, tried to anyways. He flew into the walls and wrecked some of the tools on the wall that were hanging. An axe, machete, and a sledgehammer all hit the floor with a loud thud. I ran over and reframed him from doing any more damage than he had already done.      I grabbed a sheet off the couch and threw it over him. The darkness calmed him instantly. He finally settled down after a few moments.

     I put a sheet up in the corner with about ten or eleven nails on each side. It was a closed off area. I created a big triangular enclosure. I lifted him up and in. That would be where he was gonna be kept until I could figure out what else to do with him.

     It was really weird to have an eagle, since I also had a wolf! That was kind of weird. I plopped back down on the couch and passed out from exhaustion and major fatigue. I was so tired that I slept for the next sixteen hours! That had to be a record for me or something. I basically woke up and it was morning….. Again.
     I got something to eat, then just laid back down on the couch. I didn’t plan on falling back asleep. I was pretty well rested. I thought about the giant bird that was in my cabin. I had no idea what to do with him. I needed to figure something out though. Right then, I thought about it and decided to call Derek. Since he was the real animal expert, he would know what to do.

     I got out my PDO and dialed his number. It rang a few times, and then he answered. “Hello?” “Hey Derek!” I said in a high-toned valley girl like voice. “Hey babe. What’s up?” “Nothing much,” I said, “I just had something to ask you.” “Ok….. What?” “How do you take care of an eagle?” I asked. “What? Why would you need to know how to do that?” he asked skeptically. “Cause….. I have one here in the cabin with me. He’s injured.”

     “Wow, ok. I can’t really explain it to you; it’s too hard to. How about, I come out there with the stuff I need to nurse it. Then I can help it. How does that sound?” he asked

     I thought about it for a moment, and then gave him the obvious answer. “Yes! That would be great, cause then I could see you too. Besides, I really miss you and can use this as an excuse.” I told him excitedly. “Ok then! Since you don’t seem to mind at all. “But how will you get here?” I asked. “My dad works at the police station with the helicopters. Some one can give me a lift if I tell them why. They originally were the ones who searched for you.” He answered back.

     “Ok, that will work. So I’ll see you tomorrow, say around….. Noon?” I asked. “Yeah, noon, I’ll bring some specific supplies. Do you need anything sweetie?” he asked. “Yeah, I actually do, if you don’t mind.” “No, not at all. My uncle owns a camping shop; he can get me the stuff since I worked in his shop. So what do you need?” “Great! I need quite a bit. First, I need a new hunting knife with a sheath; next, I need candles and plenty of matches. I also need: oil for the lantern, new hiking boots, a new set of tough clothes, an old fashioned river wash board, a rope, some twine, and a stone carver. Kay?” I finally finished.

     “Ok….. I’ll see what I can do……” I was just a little embarrassed for asking for so much. “Don’t forget to bring yourself!” I said. Lame. He chuckled slightly, then said, “bye!” and hung up. I drop to the floor, so delighted I would have some company. Especially since it was my best mate! I had to clean up a little first. It was really messy. The cabin was trashed. It took quite awhile to do that. I picked up all the trash off the hard wood floor, then I swept. Then I had to pick up all the tools. I had to clean up all the ashes from the logs that burned up in the fireplace.

     It took me hours to finish. I’m not really a slob, especially when the mess affects me the most. And I’m not very lazy either, obviously. I’m just not always that organized. I was very exhausted again after all that cleaning. I hated chores.

     It was late after I ate dinner. I was a little more strengthened by then. I was too excited to sleep by then though. I mean come on! Derek was coming tomorrow! How couldn’t I be excited? It would be awesome tomorrow. My mind fell off from the subject of Midnight. Yay! After about a few more hours of just doing things to keep myself occupied, I finally sat down to rest.

     I was tired by then. Sleep sounded pretty good. I wasn’t going to fight it. I got dressed for bed in my silky pajamas that had the word “sexy” written in red all over them. I don’t know, I just liked them. Anyways, I locked the door and lay down on the couch. It was a colder night and I covered myself with a thick soft blanket. I was comfortable. I went right to sleep with a smile on my face. The morning was coming, and so was Derek.



© 2008 Eyudo


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

199 Views
Added on July 2, 2008

Flames in The Full Moon


Author

Eyudo
Eyudo

Painesville, the city of pain....., OH



About
BUY MY WRITING!!! CLICK HERE! well, all yu humans can call me Eyudo (Eye-Yoo-Dough), since not many knows or calls me by my real name, i have to stay mysterious when i can :) infested more..

Writing
i saw it fly i saw it fly

A Poem by Eyudo