Chapter 12 Way Out

Chapter 12 Way Out

A Chapter by Christine T

 

Sweat started to run down my face. What is going to happen to me? My phone vibrated and I almost jumped out of my skin when it did. I looked and saw that it was from Brian.

 

           I’m almost there, im going to try and distract them. I’ll get them to come outside.    R u alright

 

I texted him back.

 

  yeah please hurry, they are searching everything, they didn’t get upstairs yet.

 

My heart was racing and I was getting more and more nervous. I was listening to them move stuff around making sure they weren’t coming upstairs yet. Hurry up Brian.

 

I was practically holding my breath; they were making their way upstairs. I saw feet run past the door, then saw someone walk into the room I was in. My adrenaline started to kick in, and I was thinking about making a run for it, but whoever was in the room was right next to the bed. I think it was Paul, the husband and father. I could hear him loading his gun.

 

He seemed to stand there, struggling with his gun. The next thing you know a bullet fell and rolled under the bed, a little too close to my arms. I thought I would have heart failure. I froze. The hand slowly came under the bed, reaching for the lost bullet. It came closer and closer, started going to the left and started feeling to the right and then finally the hand found the bullet. I almost sighed with relief.

 

It was quiet other than the sounds of the Schmerz moving things around. Everything stopped when there was a noise outside. “Gotcha!” There was a pause “Outside, head outside!”  It almost sounded like a stampede. As soon as the footsteps disappeared, I crawled out from under the bed and looked out the window. They were near the back of the house, scattered among the tall unkept grass.     

I took all my energy and strength and took off running down the stairs swinging the front door wide open. Running; running and not looking back. I ran through the woods to where my car was parked. I got inside a slowly closed my door. I tried to catch my breath. “WHAM” I looked up at my window and saw Brian standing there, hands on the glass. “What do you think you’re doing!? Get in!” He came over to the passenger side and got in. I started the car and quickly put it into Drive. I started pulling out and making my turn around the trees. I couldn’t go any further though. Standing right in front of my car was Günter. “Run him down! This car has the power to!” Brian practically screamed. Come on, come on. Come closer you freak. Come on! He started moving forward and I slammed my foot down on the gas pedal. I would have sworn I ran right into him but once I looked behind me he was standing there, like nothing happened. “What the....?” Brian said confusingly. “Did he jump over my car?” I put my car into reverse and slammed the gas pedal again. I felt a hit. I saw Günter land and roll. He slowly stood up and swung out his scythe. Oh man, what is this guy. Some kind of dark spirit stuck in a demented body? I put my car into Drive again and slammed on the gas pedal, only this time I drove right past him. “I’ll get you yet!” I heard him scream, I almost couldn’t hear him over the engine of my mustang. I was speeding down the path, dust flying behind me from the dirt, doing about 70. The clearing to the neighborhood road was coming up. I pushed my car to about 85. As soon as I saw the road and the turn I had to make, I slowed to 75. I slammed on my brakes and quickly turned my wheel to the right. The car drifted the corner and I straightened out the wheel pressing on the gas again. I slowed down my speed and headed to my house. “Whoa, where did you learn to drift?” Brian asked with wide eyes. “My dad use to do it all the time, we lived nearby an empty track. There were a lot of turns. He showed me how when I was 15, and trusted me to do it, I was only going about 40 when I was with him though.”    “What happened to him?” He asked curiously. I sighed. “Well, he used to be into street racing, when he was younger. That would explain the drifting. When he married my mom he started a job as a Cars Salesmen. He got in a car accident before my 16th birthday. The police said someone pushed him off the road, possibly a truck. Whoever it was kept going. No witnesses.” I looked straight ahead at my garage; we were in my driveway at this point.

 

“I’m sorry to hear that.” He said. “Yeah... It was hard for my mother and me.” I looked down. “Thanks for helping me.” “No problem” He said. We started to get out of the car. My mom pulled up in the drive way, as we were getting out. She quickly opened her door. “What happened to your car Heidi, it’s already dirty. What did you do drive it through a dirt pile?” she asked, looking at my car and I at the same time. “Not quite” I said. “Well make sure you get it cleaned up, alright?”  “Yes, mom I will. I’ll drive down to a do-it-yourself carwash.” I responded.  “Hey, I know a place you can take it.” Brian said. “Well good maybe you two can do that tomorrow. As for now, Pete is coming over for dinner. Brian would you like to invite your family over to dinner with us?” My mom asked from the porch. “Yeah, that would be great, thanks!” Brian said. I sighed. “You can use the house phone.”I told him. We walked inside.

 

Hey mom, it’s Brian. I’m at Heidi’s house and her mom Carol wanted to know if you would like to come over for dinner, so you can all meet…Uh huh… okay. I’ll be home so you know where to go. Okay. Bye He hung up the phone looking at me then at my mom.

 

 

“They said they would love to, I have to go home so I can change. They forgot which house, so I have to show them.”

“Alright, well come back around 6:30, I hope that’s not too late?” I heard her ask.

“No, not at all thanks.” He said. He then look at me, and started to head to the door. I followed. We were on the porch. “We should really talk about all this, Brian.”  “Alright. Tonight, I’ll call after we get home from your house. Okay?” I sighed. “Okay, see ya at 6:30” “See ya” he said and walked down the steps. Going the direction to his house.



© 2010 Christine T


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow, this was really good I was scared for heidi

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

244 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on December 30, 2008
Last Updated on February 2, 2010
Previous Versions


Author

Christine T
Christine T

Easton, PA



About
♫♪ ⓒⓗⓡⓘⓢⓣⓘⓝⓔ ♫♪ "The longer I live, the more I realize the impact of attitude on life. Attitude, to me, is more impo.. more..

Writing