Chapter 13

Chapter 13

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

When I got back to my section of the bunker, I checked the shower room and it was empty. I went into one of the private stalls and for the first time in awhile I had time to myself where I could piece things together. I let the water run over me as I thought about what those girls said. What if Darren wanted from me what he got from Kelley? I couldn't do that and I'd have to make that very clear to him. I wasn't for sale, but at the same time it frustrated me that Seth thought I could so easily be taken advantage of. Seth usually made me strong and tried to help, but with me dating Darren he was a different person around me now.

I did not want to lose him as a friend, so I'd have to figure out a way to be around both of them without so much hostility. I guess I could start with less hand holding and work from there. I lathered, rinsed and repeated until my hair smelled heavily of coconut and then washed up the rest of me before grabbing a towel and drying myself off. I wrapped it around myself then I walked out into the main bathroom where I found dresses hooked up on the stalls and make up on the counter with a small mirror set up. “What on earth,” I said then Kiara popped out from one of the stalls.

“Surprise,” she grinned evilly.

“Sorry, she decided you needed to dress up for your date,” Eva followed her out, “I didn't think a jump scare was needed.”

“Eva, you're just cranky because your dad and brothers were visiting town when the storm happened,” Kiara pulled me over to the counter.

“They're here,” I commented.

“My father is requesting to see me tonight,” she nodded, “Probably another lecture about what is best for the family.”

“I have my brother's speech memorized,” I sighed, “I really don't need makeup or a dress for this date.”

“It's your first date,” Kiara piped up, “You leave the makeup to me, you just need to sit and do exactly as I say.”

 

“Kiara it's her date,” Eva reminded her, “I won't let her paint your entire face, Maya just some lip gloss and mascara.”

“You two are no fun,” Kiara pouted, “Can I pick the dress then?”

“I didn't pack any dresses in my bag?” I looked around at the dresses, “Whose are these?”

“They are mine, but you're only a few inches taller than me so they'll fit you,” Kiara started brushing my hair, “I am going to curl your hair while Eva does your makeup.” It was a quick process and by the time they were done Eva was ranting about her father.

“Who does he think he is?” she shook her head, “We aren't an important family and most of my family are sailors, not high ranking they can't order me around.”

 

“Your father still is your legal guardian,” Kiara remarked.

“Not after my birthday,” Eva finished my lip gloss, “I hope you like pink, May.”

“Shimmering, not sparkly I hope,” I opened my eyes.

“Of course,” she said showing me my reflection in the mirror. I looked much more proper now, but it felt strange wearing makeup for the first time. “What do you think?” she asked.

“It's great,” I smiled, but Kiara gave me a pointed look, “I'll get used to makeup.”

“Better,” Kiara said then looked through the four dresses she had set up. “Your favourite colour is red, but I think the blue lace one would work best with your body type,” she frowned.

“We don't know how formal this date is and the lace one is the most breezing,” I offered, “I might want a sweater.”

“Black velvet coat from your bag,” Kiara tossed it at me.

“Thanks,” I laughed then went into a stall and got dressed. When I walked out, both of the girls squealed with joy.

 

“It's perfect,” Kiara grinned from ear to ear.

“You look beautiful, Maya,” Eva told me, “Price better keep his hands to himself though or I'll set him on fire.”

“Thanks,” I hugged her.

“We'll keep Seth distracted,” Kiara promised.

“You know you girls don't own this shower,” Seth came strolling in.

“Mind your own business, Seth,” Kiara ordered, “We are going with Eva to meet her father and Maya is going on her first date.”

“Do not date him,” Seth said then looked over and saw me, “Whoa, May you look amazing.”

“Thank you,” I put on my coat, “I hope you'll help Eva with her father in my place, stand up for her.”

 

“I have some experience in fighting for people I care about,” he touched his cheek then turned to Eva, “Price is a player, all of the military girls are bragging about their experience with him I think Maya should stay with us tonight.”

“She's already dressed up,” Kiara argued.

“Seth, let her go,” Eva insisted.

“Price was hanging out with that redhead that was bothering Maya earlier,” Seth argued, “He kissed her and they went into a room together.”

“What?” I felt something inside me shatter.

“His friends are saying that he plans on taking advantage of you,” he continued, “You can't go.”

 

“His friends say that, they are military gossips everyone knows that,” I answered, “Maybe Price is sleeping with someone else, but he isn't stupid enough to spread a rumour like that I think it was his girlfriend.”

“You're still going to go on the date,” Seth asked incredulously.

“I am not going to hide and cry,” I sighed, “But Kiara, I cannot wear this dress for the kind of conversation we'll be having.”

“Maybe some tight jeans so you can kick him hard in the manhood,” Eva suggested.

“Make sure to wear a sweater it's cold,” Seth told me.

“Okay,” I went out and grabbed my military hoodie and some black leggings. I switched out of Eva's heels and into some sneakers.

 

“Seth, you ruined her date,” I heard Kiara hiss from inside the bathroom.

“He is not good for her, Kiara, do you want her to get hurt?” Seth replied and I left them to fight it out. I went out to the top level and went into the military living quarters. I found the private room easily and found Darren waiting inside. He was wearing an ironed dress shirt and dress pants.

“Evening,” I grabbed the glass of wine he was pouring.

 

“I didn't know we were wearing casual dress,” he barely glanced at me as he poured himself a glass.

“Is there a particular ending to this night you have planned?” I took a sip of the wine.

“Such as...” he peered up at me and I gave him a look, “Do you think I am a complete fool, Garnet?”

“Well, I feel like one,” I took another sip, “Why are we doing this when you already have a girlfriend? Why torture yourself by dating the afflicted girl when you have a military redhead at your beckon call?”

“Kelley was a mistake the first time around,” Darren drank some wine himself, “She threatens my sister to get me to go on dates with her, so everyone will think we sleep together, but I only did it once years ago.”

“You have slept with a lot of girls though,” I crossed my arms.

“I have a lot of anger and frustration to work through, Garnet,” he set the wine bottle down, “Not only is my sister seeing through walls, but my parents left the country with no notice to chase after a rumour about paradise.”

 

“What?” I said.

“They left when I was seven because they heard across the ocean was a better life, they were obsessed with this place and they were so convinced we were making them miserable that they left,” he informed me, “I do not know how to deal with everything and the only thing I've ever been able to handle is sex and looking after my little sister.”

“She turned out good, but how can I know that you aren't going to try to handle me with sex,” I demanded, “I bet you've liked other girls then slept with them and moved on.”

“You're not even seventeen yet, I won't do that,” he answered, “But while we are the subject of flames and lovers, you and 'Seth' seem like you're very close to being exactly that.”

“We are not,” I snapped.

 

“I see the way he looks at you and don't think I do not know who told you about those girls it was him and Kelley,” he drank the rest of his glass, “You only believe him because it's easier that way.”

“I swore I was on their side, how can I say that then be with a soldier, especially one who has a reputation like yours,” I said seriously, “You only like me in the first place for my looks, so stop pretending this is real.”

“You think you're an expert on this,” he laughed, “You are doing exactly what I was doing to you before the storm, judging you by one side you have.”

 

“You do not know me,” I warned him.

“Well I cannot stop thinking about you anyways, so why don't you give me some information, Maya?” he sat down.

“Fine,” I sat across from him, “Interrogate me then, but I can ask questions too.”

“Were you jealous of me and Kelley?” he inquired.

 

“Were you jealous of my relationship with Seth?” I retorted.

“Yes,” he poured himself more wine.

“I guess I was a little disappointed,” I grabbed the bottle and poured myself more wine.

“What do you see in the visions you have?” he asked.

“Flashes usually, I see people dying or freak storms mostly,” I played with my hair, “Nothing happy so far, when did Nora first start seeing through walls?”

 

“She was seven,” he smiled slightly, “She overheard me having a conversation with her teacher and came storming me telling me she was mature and that she was not a child.”

“Everyone wants to be older than they are,” I agreed.

“What was your first vision?” he questioned.

“I saw a pair of graves and then a sunrise over them,” I thought back to it, “Flowers grew around the graves, it seemed happy, but my parents' names were on the graves.” “They died about two days later,” I drank more wine, “So when did you meet Kelley? Was she your first?”

 

“No, my first was actually with a girl three years older than me, she was very attractive and I was fourteen so I didn't know why she would want to do that with me,” he sipped his drink, “About two years later I met Kelley at the institute and she was a sneaky little witch, but acted sweet to fool gullible men.”

“You fell for it,” I guessed.

“I entered willing knowing the truth,” he shrugged, “I thought she would leave me alone after that, but I had the top grades in our year and as you said I have a certain reputation.”

“She clung to your success,” I nodded, “Can I ask you another question?”

 

“It doesn't matter what I say,” he began.

“Then shut up,” I cut him off, “What did you do to convince my brother you should date me?”

“Oh, I black-mailed him,” he took some salads and sandwiches out of his bag, “I told him that I wouldn't tell you that he wanted to get reassigned to a school on the coast to teach if he would let me convince you where you belong.”

“Where would that be now?” I said.

“Right where you are,” he raised his glass to me, “Just don't tell your brother that.”

“Cheers to that idea,” I tapped his glass and laughed.



© 2015 Lorena Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

297 Views
Added on February 18, 2015
Last Updated on February 18, 2015


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose