Chapter 22

Chapter 22

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

Darren started to give the afflicted hand to hand training and Rogers had everyone in weapons training the morning after my announcement. All of the doctors other than Jamieson and Hunter were locked out. With Eva and Nora's help, I started helping other afflicted gather their strength in their gifts. Seth still wasn't talking to me, but I knew he was just grieving. I was in the conference room with a young boy named Eli teaching him how to use his rare ability to make an earthquake. Eva encouraged him to scare the doctors a little, but Eli was afraid to hurt anyone.

We gave him a break when he caused a tremor bad enough to cause a crack in the floor. “Don't exhaust yourself,” I got up, “Take deep breaths and remember you're not in danger in here.”

“How do you handle your gifts?” Eli asked me. In truth, I'd had vivid visions last night, but Darren's arms around me kept me from losing it.

“Find your hope and it'll keep the fear at bay,” I promised, “Is there a girl you like or maybe something you could look forward to up top?”

“I like this girl named Caroline, she makes plants grow really fast and I call her flower to bug her,” he smiled slightly and the shaking stopped completely.

 

“Mind over matter,” I took his hands and I saw him kiss Caroline as a young man, “Be a survivor, Eliot.”

“I prefer Eli,” he complained.

“Alright, Eli,” I let go of his hands, “Go find Caroline and tease her until you make her laugh.”

“Okay,” he grinned then hurried out of the room.

“Was this a happy vision?” Nora asked.

“The little Romeo gets the girl,” I leaned against the table, “It's hard for the ones who are so scared of their gifts, I want to help them, but they are as stubborn as me.”

“You're still hurting about Seth,” Eva came to my side, “You really helped that one girl who can heal people this morning, she was really scared, but when you fell over she saw her gift is good.”

“It only healed some of the wounds,” Nora said referring to the whip marks on my back, “You are helping kids and everyone is grateful.”

“Especially your boyfriend,” Darren came walking in and I went over to him.

 

“What about your class?” I asked him.

“They are alright, I was sent by Rogers to get Nora to show some of the younger, more stubborn kids to fight,” he looked at his sister, “Will you go take charge of those individuals?”

“Only if you say please,” she smirked.

“Please, sweet little sister,” he sighed and she hugged me before leaving, “See you soon, kid.” He came over and wrapped his arms around me. “How are you doing? You should take a break,” he said, “No one can keep going forever.”

“I'll take a rest soon,” I promised then kissed him, “You are cute when you worry.”

“Don't be a tease,” he kissed me back then I heard someone walk in.

“Seth,” Eva said and I pulled away to see Seth had come into the room.

“Can I talk to Maya alone?” Seth questioned.

“Get back to your students,” I told Darren who kissed me again before shoving Seth out of the way to leave.

“Be nice, Seth,” Eva warned before heading out, “I'll work on the next kid that shows up, May.”

 

“Okay,” I said then sat on the table, “What do you need Adams?”

“Maya,” he stepped forward, “I overreacted to finding out about Kiara, she was just so pure and good I couldn't feel my attachment to you and Eva in my grief.”

“You had every right to react that way,” I cleared my throat.

“I'm sorry,” he tried to kiss me, but I stopped him.

“You cannot keep trying to convince yourself that we should be together, Seth,” I told him, “I do care about you, but only as a friend you belong with someone else.”

 

“Who is that?” he questioned.

“Eva told me that you two kissed,” I remarked.

“I was in grief and I am ashamed that I took advantage of her,” he said sitting down in one of the chairs, “I still have strong feelings for you though, May.”

“They are just an excuse, Seth,” I took his hands, “Everyone else is learning to believe in hope and you need to embrace it yourself, try being with someone of your own.”

“Just because you're attracted to Price,” he started to say.

“I love Darren, Seth,” I said seriously, “You may not be in love with Eva yet, but she deserves someone to care for her and so do you.”

 

“You don't feel anything for me,” he muttered.

“I love you in a friendly way,” I squeezed his hands, “Try this out, you cannot fight this alone.”

“I'll try things with Eva,” he agreed, “How are your wounds doing?”

“One of the girls healed most of them in practice,” I got up, “Some of the mental wounds still hurt though.”

“I hope you'll trust me again soon,” he frowned.

“I trust you,” I assured him, “Have the guardians had any luck finding the exit yet?”

“The officers keep distracting them, we lost two guardians today,” he answered, “No more kids were taken to be experimented on though today, they've all been at training or practising with you.”

“That is some good news,” I agreed, “So did you just come to tell me you're sorry?”

“No, the leaders wanted to talk to you,” he informed me.

“I'll leave Eva in charge then,” I headed out the door and found Eva trying to talk down a girl who was shocking a boy next to her.

“Be nice to your brother, Amy,” Eva ordered then turned to me, “I can handle things here if you need to do something else.”

“Alright,” I looked at Amy, “Use that ability on the next officer you see, Amy your brother is family so don't torture him too much.”

“Alright, Maya,” she said then hugged her brother, “I'll shock you when you annoy me from now on, Andy.”

“Thank you,” her brother mouthed to me then I followed Seth down the hall. We found the leaders talking about Hart and then Jamieson saw me walk in.

 

“Miss. Garnet,” he came over to me immediately, “How are you today? Are you feeling stronger?”

“Much stronger,” I assured him.

“Good,” he said, “We were all worried we'd lost a warrior.”

“No, she's still here,” I said with a smile, “How can I help all of you today?”

“We need a vote on what to do about Hart and Daniels and we are tied between execution and using them for information,” Hunter got up to his feet using his cane, “Some of us believe that as humans they shouldn't be killed no matter what their crimes are.”

“Others think they have done unspeakable things to two of our strongest allies and killed one of them in cold blood,” Rogers countered.

“What do you think?” Jeremiah asked me, “You're within your rights to side either way after what was done.”

“Well,” I thought about it, “I do believe that we aren't the brutes that they are so we should use them as our informants, but we cannot trust every word they say so double-check things when you can.”

“A very just answer,” Jeremiah told me, “We also wanted to offer you a place as our eighth council member.”

“That is a very kind request,” I said seriously, “But I think I can help the most, by staying exactly as I am.”

 

“You are a leader with or without the title,” Seth came to my side.

“Thanks, Seth I just do not need the title to do my part, no offence to any of you, but it just isn't me,” I explained.

“No offence taken,” Hunter said then started coughing again.

“How are your trainees doing? Are they getting a better grip on their abilities?” Jeremiah questioned, “I would like to help you with your training.”

“I could use more expertise,” I agreed, “Eva is in the east hallway and I think she could use some help.”

“Right,” he said then squeezed my hand, “I am glad you are doing better, Kiara was a good soul and we all lament her loss.”

“I know,” I squeezed his hand back then he headed out of the room while I waited to find out if they needed anything else.

 

“Have you seen any more visions, Miss. Garnet?” Dr. Jamieson asked me.

“I saw something last night, there was a fire in the lower level and the afflicted ran through the cold with a weight on their shoulders until they find a river and float along it,” I commented, “It may be metaphorical, but the fire seemed real.”

“We are grateful for the hope in our escape,” Rogers cleared his throat, “Is there anyone we should be concerned about? You said there might be sacrifices.”

“You should keep yourselves safe, they will go after the leaders with the most force,” I replied, “There is nothing to worry about and the important thing is you'll get out of this trap.”

“Very good,” Hunter said, “You should go back to your training and Miss. Garnet we apologize for not believing you about the vitamins.”

“Apology accepted,” I gave him a smile then headed out into the hallway again. I was halfway down it when I saw Daniels being pulled out of a cell room.

“Just try and hurt me, children,” he laughed.

 

“Someone thinks they are still in control,” I walked down towards him.

“Looking for another whipping, girl,” he spotted me.

“You won't be whipping another person,” I informed him.

“I bet you're looking forward to my execution, Garnet,” he laughed.

“I am not you, I don't enjoy other people's pain,” I crossed my arms, “Besides you're not being executed you'll be questioned, but you may have valuable intelligence and we could use it.”

“I won't tell you anything,” he dropped his smile, “You all can try your best to convince me, but my loyalty will always be to the military.”

“My loyalty was once to the military, Daniels, you are working for people that couldn't care less about you though so we can get the information out of you or Hart in our own way,” I told him.

“Just like we found our way of making your friend suffer,” he laughed again, “Tell Price that he is still loyal to us and to stop playing games or he'll end up like Kiara Everhart.”

“Take him to the leaders, they'll deliver his sentence,” I growled and they dragged him away.

 

“He is military no matter what he says,” he shouted after me as I walked in the opposite direction, “His girl, Kelley could take control of him at any time.”

“Keep up the threats, Daniels,” I acted indifferent then tried to keep myself from thinking about Kelley with Dare. I found Jeremiah and Eva helping out a guy who seemed to be able to make a cloud appear inside and make it rain.

“Miss. Garnet,” a voice said from behind me and I jumped.

“Dr. Hunter,” I whipped around.

 

“Hello, dear,” he smiled, “I was hoping we could talk.”

“About what?” I inquired.

“I think it's about time I told you how the adaptors were developed and what they have caused,” he took my hand and placed it on top, “I made a mistake years ago by following a doctor with a different kind of vision.”



© 2015 Lorena Rose


Author's Note

Lorena Rose
What do you think Dr. Hunter will tell her?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

163 Views
Added on February 19, 2015
Last Updated on February 19, 2015


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose