Chapter 16

Chapter 16

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

When the group held a meeting the next day, Rogers and the other leaders spoke their piece. “At this point in our struggle, we must look within only our own society for help,” Jeremiah told everyone, “We have had four more missing children today so no one leaves this floor without an escort.”

“In our days as the afflicted, things will be hardest from now until our enemies cool their unprompted rage,” Rogers said seriously, “We have limited resources, but we have a small number of weapons and anyone with weapons training will be a guardian of our people.”

 

“All of our fighters please go into the storage room and get equipped,” another leader, Dr. Jamieson ordered then looked at Seth who was at one side of me, “In other news...” I felt Darren leave my other side and I turned to watch him walk away. I looked down to see I had picked my fingers until they were bloody. I stuck them in my pocket as Seth headed to the stage. “Seth Adams, one of our best informants has recently been revealed as being on the adaptors for over five years,” Jamieson said, “Him and Miss. Garnet were the first two test subjects, therefore it seems only fitting that Seth be chosen as one of your leaders.”

“I agree,” Jeremiah nodded, “Speak up, Mr. Adams.”

 

“Thank you, Jeremiah,” Seth cleared his throat, “I guess most of you know by now, my father is Dr. Edmund Peck and let me assure you I am not him I don't believe any of his crude values.” “I see all of the cruelty that the officers and current doctors have put on us,” Seth continued, “We will get to the bottom of this and we will have strategy, we are not going to be shadows in society anymore.” People nodded and I almost smiled Seth was good at speeches. “Any military students here with the red emotion pills should flush them into the sewage system we need everyone at their strongest,” he looked at me, “In other news, my friend Maya Garnet has some unfortunate information for everyone, leaders included.”

“Come up then, Miss. Garnet,” Rogers looked right at me.

“Right,” I headed up to the make shift stage and I tried to spot Price, but I had to focus on Nora instead. “Everyone should know that...” I took a deep breath, “While Adams was working up the courage to lead you all, I was taken down to the lower level.” “My brother is Cass Garnet, I thought he was trustworthy, but when I was down there he assisted in drugging me and he injected me with truth serum.” A few of the girls gasped and I forced myself to stay strong.

“He took me to see Dr. Morrison and Morrison told me about Seth and my history,” I looked back at him, “He also used my ability to see future events against the people who trusted me.” “I told him under the effects of serum that you would all try to escape into the snow and cold,” I said clenching my fists, “You would have found warmth and a good life, but not doubt they have chained and guarded every exit by now, I also told them that Rogers was another leader.”

 

“What did I do to you?” Rogers stood up.

“You did nothing to me, Rogers, but you are our combat leader so you will need to be more careful now,” I felt my hands shaking.

“How powerful could this serum be? Why did you sell us out?” one of the guys shouted at me.

“I have no excuse, I will accept whatever punishment you decide to give me,” I answered, “I will give you information still about any events that could change the tide, even if you lock me up for my crime.”

“Traitor,” another guy said and I saw Darren making his way toward him.

“She was given pain shots, how do you think you would stand up to that level of pain,” Nora snapped back at him, “Dr. Jamieson checked the dosage of truth serum and sedative in her and it was very nearly lethal.”

“Nora, I appreciate your support,” I chewed on my lip, “But I did make a mistake, I am human, but that's no excuse.”

“I had pain shots once,” Jeremiah got to his feet, “They are worse than being shot, I think you were brave, Miss. Garnet.”

 

“She sold us out,” a woman said.

“They told her to be an asset, to be one of their soldiers and switch sides,” Darren came onto the stage with me, “Do you all really think Morrison didn't ask her more questions? Questions that could do more damage? None of you would have put so much of a fight.”

“Darren, don't make enemies,” I told him then turned around, “Leaders, what will be my punishment?”

“Well,” Rogers frowned, “From all the information, we have gathered you are a survivor, Miss. Garnet and one of two people who have fully developed abilities who is willing to help the cause.”

 

“You, Miss. Garnet are a victim of the doctors and military's cruelty more than anyone else here,” Jeremiah agreed.

“I am not a victim,” I replied.

“I think if you will give us a written report of every vision you have for the next few weeks to months,” Dr. Jamieson cleared his throat, “We will keep another guard with you for protection along with Officer Price.”

“I am a student,” Darren reminded him.

“Here you have the most battle experience, you and Rogers will be our two combat leaders,” Seth said reluctantly.

“I know how hard that was for you to say...Adams,” Price said and I smiled.

“I know you all don't fully understand the situation, but we will protect you here,” Dr. Hunter, the oldest leader got to his feet grasping his cane, “It doesn't matter what you were before now, you are with us now.”

 

“To the bright tomorrow,” the last leader, Jonathan Hart joined them.

“To the bright tomorrow,” we all shouted then Darren helped me off of the stage.

“You should have stayed out of it,” I told him.

“Are you going to pick a fight with me again, Garnet?” he joked.

“Yeah, I am,” I replied, “Don't think you can smirk and order me around now because you're a combat leader.”

“I'd say junior combat leader,” Rogers walked past us.

“Junior, or not you cannot boss me around,” I warned him.

“Sure I can,” he smiled evilly.

 

“You do realize you'll have to work with Seth,” I warned him.

“I'll avoid it when I can,” he made a face.

“Seth is smart, you two could be good allies if you tried to get along,” I suggested.

“You did great, May,” Seth squeezed my hand as he passed by.

“That is why we cannot be allies,” Darren pointed at my hand.

“I am not anyone's property, we aren't even a couple we've been out on one date,” I argued.

 

“I gave up finishing my military schooling I deserve at least a second date,” he retorted.

“We don't have time for dates,” I rolled my eyes.

“Sure, we do I am one of your protectors,” he smirked.

“I should be getting protectors, they should lock me up for a week,” I muttered, “I did something wrong and I am being rewarded.”

“You're one of the strongest people on this floor, they need you,” he kissed my hand, “Besides you couldn't pull off orange.”

“It might go with my skin tone,” I replied, “How does the promotion feel?”

 

“I should have switched sides years ago,” he said then shook his head, “I hate when people try to give me something I don't deserve.”

“You will still help because these people need your skills,” I insisted.

“You think I have skills, Garnet,” he raised an eyebrow.

“Stop taking words out of my mouth and shaping them into your own,” I walked away from him.

“I'll still take it as a compliment,” he called after me.

“Don't,” I waved then headed down the hall until I found Seth and the girls, “Hey, Eva, how are you doing with Jeffery's death?”

“It still scares me a little,” Eva looked around at me, “Can we talk to you somewhere more private?”

“Sure,” I agreed then they took me to a dark conference room, “Look guys I understand if you don't trust me.”

“Quiet, we have something to say,” Nora hissed from somewhere in the darkness.

 

“What?” I asked then someone behind me turned on the light.

“Happy birthday,” my friends shouted and I saw the cake on the table, the presents and the stupid party hats on their heads.

“Surprise,” Darren kissed my cheek then pushed me into the room closing the door. I was happy to say he wasn't wearing a party hat. I sat down in front of the small cake and they sang the birthday song. I had never had a birthday without Cass and my presents were always weapons or manuals.

“Cake first or presents,” Eva questioned.

“She likes chocolate cake, but not surprises so cake first,” Kiara said and I gave her a look, “It's your party smile a little.”

“Eva looked ridiculous bringing this cake into the bunker so eat some of it, I beg you,” Seth pleaded.

 

“Fine,” I grabbed a plate and Eva cut me up a piece of cake. I wouldn't tell any of them, but I lost track of the days I had no idea it was my birthday today.

“You forgot your own birthday,” Kiara said quietly.

“Don't tattle,” I ordered then Dare sat down next to me.

“Are you really going to eat cake?” he asked.

“Yes,” I started to eat.

“I'll take a slice then too,” he commented then after cake, the girls were all squealing with excitement.

“Open mine first,” Kiara commanded.

“Alright,” I took the present and unwrapped it to find a stationary set inside with a new notebook. “Thanks,” I smiled up at her, “My reports are easier to write with paper.”

 

“Inside the set is a wrist watch that your brother said was your father's,” she bit her lip.

“Wow,” I looked at it, “I remember when he wore this.”

“Me next,” Eva handed me her present and inside I found a woven bracelet with clear blue stone beads. They were wrapped around a black phone. “It's functional and it has all our numbers in it,” she said, “It even has Price's number, though he was very indignant about handing it over.”

“Not a big surprise,” I said wrapped the beads around my arm, “Did you make this?”

“The blue beads stand for strength and protection,” she informed me, “Do you like it?”

 

“I do,” I smiled then looked at the phone, “I left my phone up top so this will be useful.”

“This one has games on it in case you're bored,” Kiara told me, “Strategy games and fun ones too.”

“I want to go next,” Nora handed me a gift bag, “I am really bad at wrapping, sorry.”

“I don't mind,” I looked inside and there was junk food and a hand gun, “Interesting combination.”

 

“Well you need to protect your stash,” she laughed.

“Thanks,” I said then Seth handed me his gift. I opened it to find a history book inside about our province.

“Cool,” I found a picture of him and me inside, “Nice bookmark.”

“Inappropriate bookmark,” Darren said.

 

“Happy birthday, girl,” Seth grinned.

“Thank you,” I mouthed to him then the girls started gossiping about their gifts.



© 2015 Lorena Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

239 Views
Added on February 19, 2015
Last Updated on February 19, 2015


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose