Chapter 15

Chapter 15

A Chapter by Lorena Rose

“Ouch,” I put my hand over the point where the needle broke my skin, “What was that?”

“It wasn't anything lethal, just a dose of truth serum,” he grabbed my arm and started to guide me down the hall.

“I feel lightheaded, Cass I want to go back upstairs,” I tripped over my own feet.

“Later, sis,” he knocked on a door, “The doctor is just going to ask you some simple questions, just answer them.”

“I feel faint,” I said then my feet collapsed.

“The serum also relaxes you so you don't tense up and say the wrong thing,” he picked me up off my feet and carried me into a dimly lit office.

 

“Miss. Garnet, we haven't met,” an older man said closing his book and gesturing for Cass to set me down on the couch.

“Who are you?” I tried to sit up.

“There is no need for that, make yourself comfortable I am Doctor Morrison, an associate of Doctor Peck's,” he smiled at me, “I need you to tell me a few things, my dear.”

“I can't tell you anything,” I looked him in the eye.

“One small dose, Cass,” he turned to my brother who put something worse into my skin. The pain came all at once and I saw a million flashes. All of the voices that guided me screamed out in desperation. “Now Miss. Garnet, what is your ability?” Morrison leaned forward.

 

“I see visions, things that happen in the future,” I said, “I have apparitions of family members who help me figure them out.”

“Did you know that you were one of our first test subjects, Miss. Garnet?” he poured me a cup of tea.

“Did you know about this?” I looked at Cass who was standing by the door.

“He won't answer right now, I told him to know his place,” Morrison padded my leg, “Yes, you were one of our first test subjects you and Dr. Peck's son, Seth were the first two.”

“How long was I on the adaptors?” I asked eyes drooping.

 

“From the age of two until you were around seven,” he flicked my head to wake me up. “Do you think you could use your abilities to see the futures of your friends upstairs?” he asked me.

“Yes,” I answered automatically then covered my mouth, “No, I won't.”

“Cass, another shot I need to know those people's next move,” Morrison maintained a calm voice. I felt it all over again and this time he did it three times in a row and I fell to the floor writhing. “Maya, focus what are the infected going to do?” he demanded, “Tell me the truth.” It all came to me in flashes I saw the afflicted running out the exit and into the snow. I saw them find green land and I destroyed that future with seven words.

“They are going to try to escape,” I tried to bite down on my tongue, “They don't freeze, they find green land, they survive and thrive.”

“Thank you, my dear,” he stuck a needle into my arm.

 

“What is that?” I asked dully staring at the ceiling.

“It'll put you to sleep, I still have time for a few more questions,” he knelt down beside me, “Are you dating the Peck boy?”

“No,” I felt my mind drift.

“Are you going to join the military?” he asked.

“Never,” I said and he pinched my skin.

 

“You're tough, Miss. Garnet, but you are a soldier in the end and a new breed that can be more easily controlled,” he let go of my skin, “Would you follow orders to protect your brother and your friends?”

“Yes,” I answered.

“Will you spy on them?” he asked.

“No,” I closed my eyes.

“Take her back upstairs, Garnet we need to show those children our strength,” Morrison smiled, “Miss. Garnet, what is the name of your offensive leader?”

“Rogers,” I whispered.

“Good girl,” he said then I felt my brother lift me up, “She is a good asset with a little persuasion.”

“I'll talk to Price and make sure he knows whose side he's on,” Cass said then left the room. I passed out by the time we reached the elevator...

 

“Maya,” I heard someone yell, “Maya Garnet, wake the hell up.”

“Darren,” I couldn't open my eyes, “They know the leaders want to escape, to get outside and make sure Rogers hides out.”

“What did they do to her?” Darren growled.

“It is standard procedure in questioning, Price,” Cass's voice just made me want to cry now.

“They are never supposed to be this heavily drugged,” Nora replied, “Those look like the needle points for those new pain shots.”

“You tortured your own sister,” Darren said angrily.

“You are a monster,” Seth joined him, “She is your own flesh and blood.”

“She is not my sister until she gets better,” Cass snapped and my eyes opened, “I hope you learned your lesson, Maya.”

“You acted like you cared, how long have you been taking those red pills, Cass?” I looked at him.

“I don't need to take them, I should have been the one who took the adaptors I would have been strong and things would never have spiralled out of control like this,” he gave me a cold look, “But the drug made me sick, you, on the other hand could eat them like candy.”

 

“If I knew what they were, I won't have taken them,” I argued, “Why would I be one of the first subjects?”

“The military was their target seller and there was only one son of Doctor Peck's who could handle the medication,” he said, “You were so weak, and once mother and father were gone I was stuck with you.”

“You are my brother whether you like it or not,” I sat myself up, “But right now, the sight of you makes me ill and I would suggest you get back on your floor, Garnet before I find a gun and cause you some pain.”

“You can't boss me around,” he said and I got up to my feet.

“I may not be a junior officer,” I punched him right in the nose, “But I can hit you without regret because I am your sister.”

“You're the monster,” he held his bloody nose then ran to the elevator, “Come on, Price we are leaving.”

“You're leaving, sir,” Darren stayed by my side.

“Have it your way,” Cass closed the elevator door then my legs collapsed again. I saw flashes of war through the floors and fire. I didn't even realize someone was holding me. The fire engulfed everything then frozen over. I lost my sight then woke up again with Seth by my side and Darren holding onto me.

 

“You're with us, Maya,” Seth assured me, “This is our level and we have Roger's gang watching the elevators.”

“My head hurts,” I peered up at Darren, “Can I lay down for a minute?”

“Of course,” he set me down on the bottom bunk, “How are you feeling? That level of injections can make you sick.”

“I think I am okay, but I am not joining military ever,” I shook my head.

“Not everyone is like that,” he argued.

“You, me, Eva and Nora are the only ones who are trustworthy,” I laid out, “I trust you more than my brother now, it's weird.”

“Your brother needs his a*s kicked,” he smiled, “What else did you tell the doctor downstairs?”

 

“I told Morrison that Seth wasn't my boyfriend, Rogers was the combat leader and that we are planning on escaping,” I rubbed my head, “I'm sorry I probably ruined our chances of ever getting out of here.”

“You were given a large dose of truth serum according to Cass,” Seth sighed, “Pain shots and what seems like a sedation drug did not help the situation any.”

“You two aren't arguing with each other,” I commented.

“I'll argue with you, Garnet what the hell were you thinking? Your brother was acting strange and you just got in the elevator and let him catch you off guard,” Price snapped.

“He's my brother I did not think he would actually hurt me,” I tried to keep my eyes open, “I did learn that Seth and I were the first two test subjects and that I, at least took the pills for five years.”

 

“I thought a year was the maximum,” Darren looked at his sister.

“I didn't know anyone took them longer than that,” she answered, “No wonder Maya has less control there is too much power there it must be overwhelming.”

“It is, you saw when she got that last vision,” Eva joined the conversation, “Maya, you and Seth need to be leaders for us now.”

“I can't be a leader, Eva I cannot even stand up right now,” I told her.

“I'll take over for Jeffery,” Seth suggested, “I think I am beginning to understand my abilities, but Maya I may need your counsel sometimes.”

“Remember who her boyfriend is, though Peck,” Price warned him.

“We'll see,” he headed off.

 

“She saw fire in her vision, Eva you need to extinguish the fireplace,” Kiara touched Eva's shoulder.

“Right,” she walked away with Kiara, “I don't know if I can calm down right now, but a bucket of water might work.”

“It might,” Kiara dumped a bucket of water on Eva and she yelped.

“Your friends are odd,” Nora laughed then looked at me, “Do you want something to eat or drink?”

“Water,” I looked at her pleadingly.

“I'll stay with her, go Nora,” Darren commanded.

 

“So now the two groups are at war,” I leaned up against the pillows.

“Only until the storm ends, then we can all go our separate ways as allies again,” Price persisted.

“That's a dream world, nothing is going to be the same again,” I reached out and touched his arm.

“Only if we let things keep progressing like this, we need to find some reason in this whole situation,” he suggested.

 

“The storm is not going to end for a long time, Dare and there is no reason in this type of fight,” I insisted.

“Well I am stubborn and I am not giving in to defeat,” he cleared his throat.

“Good for you,” I tried to pull the blanket over me.

“Do you mind?” he laid down next to me and put the blanket over us both, “The heaters are being shut off in here at night to converse this floor's power.”

“If Nora needs to keep warm, she can join us,” I nestled closer to him automatically.

 

“I knew you liked my sister,” he ran his hand through my hair, “Do you like me at all, Maya?”

“I like it when you call me Maya, Dare,” I yawned.

“Me too,” he said then rested his head on mine while I started to doze off. I felt protected with Darren's arms around me and I knew Seth would be angry, but I needed that strength because in the morning I would have to apologize to everyone for my mistakes.



© 2015 Lorena Rose


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

324 Views
Added on February 18, 2015
Last Updated on February 18, 2015


Author

Lorena Rose
Lorena Rose

Montrose, BC, Canada



About
Hey, I am a college girl that's majoring in creative writing. I love writing and like to explore new worlds through the script across the page. Hope you enjoy my writing. more..

Writing
Chapter 1 Chapter 1

A Chapter by Lorena Rose