Chapter 3

Chapter 3

A Chapter by Kevin
"

Lenny meets Flora

"

Sick of walking Lenny dares to pick his head up long enough to look around for a place to sit. Scanning he sees a park across the street. After finding the park he drops he head again and proceeds to the corner. He always uses the crosswalk to avoid drawing any unwanted attention. As the walk light, lights up Lenny scampers across the street and heads towards the park gate.  

                The sign at the gate introduced the park as Rose Marie. It was one of the most breath taking man made features Lenny had seen in his life. Set in the center of the park was massive fountain of a tiger with water cascading from his mouth falling into the pool below. Around the fountain sat finely crafted wooden benches made from cherry wood. Leading away from the fountain were paths going in four directions. The paths winded through the park, expanding to different sitting areas. The sitting areas were each shaded with a cove of trees. No cove was the same each sported its own unique type of tree. Even the walls that surrounded the park had beautiful green vines scaling the walls, trying to reach for the heavens. With awe Lenny felt like as if he was floating making his way to a bench near the fountain. Sitting down Lenny felt closer to nature than he had ever in his life.

                Like a torrent of rage Flora flew into the center of the park flinging pennies at the fountain muttering. Some of the pennies landed near Lenny’s feet causing him to look up. Spinning in a circle Flora reached into a bag she was carrying and let another volley of coins flip through the air, only a few hitting the mark. As the coins still flew through the air Lenny covered his head and ducked trying to avoid all the coins. Once the rain of coins ended Lenny peeked up to see if this girl had any volleys left in her. She was breathing very heavy and had tear stains running down her cheeks. She shot a glance in Lenny’s direction; he quickly averted his eyes to the ground. Seeing his sheepishness Flora approached him and said “Hi I’m Flora.” flashing a friendly smile.

                Lenny scared that someone was actually speaking to him offered a very weak “Hello.” back to Flora.

“What’s your name?” Flora asked.

“I’m Lenny.” He said still looking shyly at the ground.

“So Lenny what brings you to the park today?”

                After a brief pass Lenny looks up at Flora. The first thing that grabs his attention is the curls of her brunette hair softly flowing to her shoulders. Her eyes deep blue and penetrating seemed like they could look into his soul. Looking over the rest of her it seemed to Lenny that every part of her was placed together by a machine of perfection, and he felt an almost automatic trust forming.

                A bit annoyed Flora taps her foot and says “Lenny did you hear me?”

                Snapping out of his trance Lenny replies “Uh sorry I’m just not used to people speaking to me and I’m new in town.”

“So back to the question what brought you to the park today?”

“It won’t really make sense I’m afraid, plus it is a bit embarrassing.”

“That’s okay I’m not used to things making much sense so try me.”

“Okay well my grandfather swung a solid Oak cane at my face, and then whipped a glass of whiskey at my head so I left the house got tired of walking and found this bench to sit on.”

“Hmm I can understand. For me it’s my father that is an abuser. He chased me out the door with a big French knife in his hand and told me not to come back. When I was throwing the pennies, I was wishing for a new life where I could be loved and cherished.”

“Not to impose but has your father been like that all your life, and how old are you, I’m fourteen.”

“I’m also fourteen. Father has always been somewhat mean but after my mother died it got much worse. Before she died it was all verbal abuse, which I was used to by the time I was eight. Once she was gone he started with physical abuse and always in a way that wouldn’t leave any bruises. I have been spared the pain of sexual abuse though thank god.”

“I’m sorry you lost your mother, I lost both my parents three weeks ago they were killed by a drunk driver. So now I live with my grandfather and he hates it and me. I know I can’t quite understand how hard it is for you, but I have some idea of what it is like now.”

“With my mom gone it was hard at first but I am adapting well and learning to deal with my father’s rage. This time I think he really meant for me not to come back though. I am really sorry for your loss too; sorry I didn’t say that first. I’m just grateful to be able to talk to someone openly. I am normally not this trusting.”

“It’s amazing but I feel the same way. The last three weeks have been hell for me. I wasn’t used to keeping things pent up inside and having no release was killing me. But just talking to you I feel like a enormous weight has been lifted off my chest.”

                Hearing the words Flora’s face lit up with joy and she became speechless.

                Glancing at his watch Lenny realized he should be going. Looking at Flora he said “I have to head home, if you’d like to come along I can sneak you in the house is big and my grandfather stays isolated to a few rooms.”

                Smiling she replies “that’d be great, I don’t ever want to go home.” Reaching for Lenny’s hand she pulls him up and say’s “Lead the way.”

                Lenny started walking with Flora next to him neither of them willing to release the others hand.



© 2010 Kevin


Author's Note

Kevin
any type of feedback would be great thanks

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The first three chapters were very good. You create strong characters and interesting events. I like the story so far. I will read on.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago


I liked it, although at some points the dialogue seemed to break the flow of the story a little. Now this may just be me, since I tend to be odd like that. I like the detail you added into your story, I can literally see Flora's face in my mind. I've gotten a bit curious on how this is all going to play out, so I think I'll keep an eye on this.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

208 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 8, 2010
Last Updated on March 8, 2010


Author

Kevin
Kevin

Colorado Springs, CO



About
I am currently enlisted in the Army, and have been in for six years. Recently I realized I really want to write, and think i have a decent baseline to start with. I have a beautiful wife and two won.. more..

Writing
Institution Institution

A Story by Kevin


Red eyes Red eyes

A Story by Kevin



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


I feel great I feel great

A Poem by Ian