Chapter 15

Chapter 15

A Chapter by Kevin

            Lenny sat lazily in his chair, the TV droning on in the background. He was struggling to stay attentive, bouncing in and out of daydreams. The current one featured his parents and a happier time in his life, it all seemed so long ago enough though it had only been a few weeks. He missed them dearly and at times like this wished he would have been more vocal in telling them how he felt.

            A movement on the lower floor across the parking lot caught his attention in one of his lulls. He spanned fully aware focusing his attention in the area the movement came from. He spotted a figure kneeling near an open door. Watching he could tell the person was breathing heavy. After what seemed like forever the figure rose, and turned towards where Lenny was perched. The light that covered the parking lot exposed his grandfather’s face. It painted a scary picture for Lenny, his brow was covered with sweat, shirt soaked through, and his face was the reddest he had ever seen it.

            Just as quickly as he had turned, he retreated back to his room and closed the door. Lenny opened his door and dropped to his knees outside his room so that he could make out what room number it was. He recited the number a few times in his head to make sure he didn’t forget.  

            Now knowing his grandfather is here Lenny went back to the room closing the door quietly so he didn’t wake up Flora. He thought for a second then removed the pen and paper from his pocket with the plate numbers on it. He drew a line under the numbers and started an to do list. First on the list was to gain access to his grandfather’s room, the back to the library to find out more about the vehicles. Thinking for a second he added, find a way to get a laptop and wireless internet access. Satisfied with his list he returned the items to his pockets, plopped down in the chair and kicked his feet up for a nap.

            Flora woke up to an info-commercial flashing across the TV screen. Half in a daze she reached around the bed looking for the remote. Finding it she muted the TV and looked at the digital display clock next to the bed, it read five forty am. She decided to take a shower, and went to the bathroom. She turned on the water to let it warm while she undressed. Once steam clouded over the mirror she got in allowing the hot water to pelt her skin. It had a brownish tint too it and a sulfuric smell. She washed her hair using the little bottle of shampoo provided by the hotel and got out as fast as she could. Toweling off and putting her clothes back on she decided that one expense was going to be a couple sets of clothes. She hated wearing the same clothes two days in a row.

            Flora went back into the main room and decided to wake Lenny, she was hesitant because he looked so cute sleeping, but also very uncomfortable. She genteelly nudged his shoulder to wake him. After getting no response she shook him a little harder and said his name. He slowly stirred awake looking at her with bloodshot eyes, and one side of his mouth was still moist with a bit of drool.

            “What time is it?” he asked

            “It’s about five fifty.” She replied.

            “I haven’t been up this early in forever.” Lenny replies trying to rub life into his eyes.

            “Go take a shower it will help. I already took one.”

            “Okay.” He replies and heads for the shower.

            Lenny takes his shower with a purpose, finding the same unruly surprises that Flora had, the rust colored water and a sulfuric smell. He climbed back into his dirty clothes thinking it defeated the purpose of a shower, regardless him did feel better though.

            Walking back into the main room he announced “I think we may want to buy a couple sets of clothes, I really hate wearing the same clothes over.”

            “Funny you should bring it up, I thought the same thing after my shower.” She said smiling.

            “While you were sleeping last night I made a too do list, I also saw my grandfather and know which room is his.”

            He handed her the list, and started racking his brain for other things that should be added to it. His brain was still a little foggy and came up with nothing. Looking to Flora he asked for her input. She asked for the pen and added find some more clothes, and a bag pack to the list. Scanning the list she looked to Lenny and asked “How do you propose we get a laptop with the money we have?”

            “I haven’t completely thought it out, but I’ll figure it out.”

            “Okay as long as it’s nothing illegal.” She replied.

            Lenny put on a fake pout “I’d never.”

            “I can see the grin behind that weak pout, I mean it nothing illegal.”

            “Okay okay you win. So do we want the room for another night before we leave?”

            “I see no reason to keep it, It still reeks and the water sucks.” She said.

            He nodded his head it agreement, “Hopefully we can get a bus back home today sometime. This mystery can’t be too big.”

            “I hope not, let’s get out of here this place is making me feel dirty and I just showered.”

            They left the room with what was on their backs, no belongings with them. Lenny stopped at the office and turned in his key, and asked what time housekeeping made there rounds. Satisfied with the answer he went back to where Flora was waiting.

            “Where to first my lady?” he asked

            “It’s a little early to do any of the stuff on the list, let’s find a park where we can sit and just watch for awhile.”

            “Sounds like a plan to me.”

            The duo started walking not sure what direction they could find a park in. most other towns in the area had parks near downtown so they followed a street that looked promising. Soon they walked into a square with shops, café’s, and other little shops filling spaces. In the center stood a statue of a man riding a horse, the horse reared back front legs kicking the sky. The man held a spear in his left hand poised to throw it. There was no plaque or other markings indentifying who the individual was. Benches were spread out, made of a mesh looking metal, matching trash receptacles were next to most of them.

            Flora led them to a bench where she wanted to sit. She picked it because the sun was just peeking over the tops of the surrounding building and casting a radiant glow on the city square. She took Lenny’s hand and gestured for him to watch the sun with her. He moved close to her and they watched the sun ascend into the sky baking away the remaining morning dew. As the sun climbed they chatted idly about life and devised how to best attack the day.



© 2010 Kevin


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

The chapter 13-15 were very good. I like the detail and the description. Making the story seem real and a pleasure to read. I will read on.
Coyote

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

220 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on May 21, 2010
Last Updated on May 21, 2010


Author

Kevin
Kevin

Colorado Springs, CO



About
I am currently enlisted in the Army, and have been in for six years. Recently I realized I really want to write, and think i have a decent baseline to start with. I have a beautiful wife and two won.. more..

Writing
Institution Institution

A Story by Kevin


Red eyes Red eyes

A Story by Kevin