Chapter 3: The Hunt Begins

Chapter 3: The Hunt Begins

A Chapter by Jensen Roman
"

A new threat emerges...

"

Chapter 3: The Hunt Begins

 

         Blow after blow…block after block…sweat dripped down both of the brothers’ faces as Basil growled loudly to swing his flame engulfed arm right at Saei’s face but his older brother ducked below his arm to try and swing his wooden sword up to knock him right in the chin. It sent the feline back a bit but he quickly wiped at the cut that formed before rushing back at Saei who readied his sword again for an attack.


On the sidelines sat a worried Fey who had recovered from her mysterious ailment. The king had told her to just rest for the remainder of her stay…for sadly she would still have to leave in the morning. For now, she watched as the brothers sparred…and rather viciously. They made it seem like they were really out for the other’s life.


Basil dodged another swing from his brother’s sword and backflipped away to put some distance between them. He was breathing heavily with his jaws parted to show off tiny fangs, trying to catch his breath. His brother controlled his breathing but he could tell he was growing tired as well.


‘I just need to keep this up…who has more stamina?’ Basil asked himself while making the flames on his fists larger and bounced back and forth on his heels, ready for another bout.


Across from him, Saei assumed an attack pose with his sword raised high the air.


Neither one moved toward the other as if studying for an opening and it was deathly quiet in the training room…until Basil broke the silence.


“…let’s make this last round interesting…” he suggested, earning a raised eyebrow from his brother. “…whoever wins, meaning the loser can no longer fight, gets to spend time with Fey without the other until she has to leave.”


Fey’s face darkened with a blush at the suggestion and parted her lips to speak out but she stopped when Saei’s eyes narrowed a bit more with a few wisps of shadow forming around the hilt of his sword.


“Oh, so we are going all out?” Basil smirked and raised his fists before his face, ready to strike and even his tail became lit with flames that didn’t harm the hairs.


“W-wai-“ Fey tried to intervene but Saei sprung forward to bring down his sword but Basil blocked it with his fist, each brother pushing against the other to see who would back down first.


Between the brothers though, their own little fight was going on that went unnoticed by Fey. Basil’s eyes narrowed up at his older kin.


“…you always were better than me…not today…” he whispered so only he could hear.


“I will always be better than you,” Saei put more strength behind his sword to make Basil buckle a bit.

While Saei had strength…Basil had speed and wit…which he would use to his advantage. A cunning smirk crossed the feline’s lips as he caved in to his brother’s sword but swiftly used his long legs to sweep Saei’s legs out from under him. The older kin was surprised as he fell back but quickly sprung back up to only see Basil trying to go for his legs to knock him down.


“H-hey!” Fey stood slowly and tried to take a step forward but could feel the intense heat coming from Basil’s fire that she was sure Saei had to be feeling as well as the feline kept taking kicks and swings at Saei’s legs, forcing his brother to defend more.


“I’m going to make her see me more,” Basil growled out at him and managed to land a heated punch to his left thigh, causing Saei to stagger but he brought his sword down hard onto Basil’s shoulder.


“Fey can see who she wants,” Saei argued back, using his dragon tail to make a blunt blow to Basil’s stomach but his brother shrugged it off and came back swinging.


“She. Only. Sees. You!” He yelled and harshly brought his engulfed fist down onto Saei’s left knee. He didn’t mean to put that much force behind it but he felt a crack under his knuckles and Saei was sent to the floor with a harsh gasp, biting his tongue to not cry out.


“Saei!” Fey cried out worriedly and rushed over just as Basil’s flames extinguished themselves. He stood over his injured brother…with his eyes still narrowed. Saei glared up at him, holding his broken knee with his clawed hand and the heated moment only made Fey slow down to not approach them fully.


“I have to become stronger than you…no matter what it takes…I am my father’s true son…” he whispered, his tail curling between his legs while Saei used his wooden sword as a crutch to help him stand painfully.


“…I never wanted to take your place,” Saei said in a calm voice but there was obviously poison there.


 “…I am not your brother…the king is not my father…I am the last my people ever had…that is what you wanted to hear…now you can rest easy…” Saei slowly turned away from Basil, using the sword the best he could to head for the exit.


“…Saei…?” Fey frowned and tried to reach out to him but he harshly glared at her with so much hatred that it made her heart stop.


“Leave me alone…” he bit out at her before leaving the training room fully. Regretfully…it would be the last time he saw her before his life would change for the worse.


 

It had been far too long…and yet…it still left a mark. The dragon Imperial slowly opened his silver eyes to gaze down at his left knee, laying his fingers over the joint to feel the tenderness. It would never heal properly…not as long as he lived and kept using it.


There was no time to rest though…


He pushed away from the stone wall of the castle, trying to find some solace by himself, and slowly walked down the long hallway toward the throne room. He was slightly dreading this moment…but there was no point in avoiding the inevitable. His dragon mask remained in place with his hand resting on the hilt of his sword at his waist but when he looked up to check how far away he was from his fate…he spotted someone else…waiting.


“…Yhisin…?” He calmly questioned, wondering why the fox had returned…but inwardly…he was relieved. The fox Imperial rasied his head to spot the dragon approaching and moved away from the wall.


“Any luck?” Yhisin asked, a bit of hope laced with his voice but his comrade lightly shook his head.


“…no sign of the mender…they are hiding quite well…or the ferals are not supplying us with the right information.”


It didn’t seem like it was what Yhisin wanted to hear for his fox ears lowered a bit followed by a heavy sigh. “…this will not turn out well.”


“I know…allow me to take a majority of the punishment,” the dragon offered but Yhisin shook his head and took one last smoke from his pipe before snuffing it out.


“No…it is both of our burden…we shall conquer it together,” the fox offered him an apologetic smile before walking down the long hall with his fellow Imperial. “It won’t be long now either way…then we can be rid of this place…”


The dragon remained quiet, taking his time to enjoy this moment.


“…what do you want to do once you are allowed to roam free? We never took the time to discuss it…” Yhisin questioned, peering over at his comrade who deeply exhaled.


“…possibly travel…”


“Where to? You’re really well versed with your sword…so you could get a well earned pay anywhere. There are a few towns outside near the city. If you go further north though, it’s nothing but swamps and ice,” Yhisin shivered a bit with his hairs standing on end. “I can’t stand the snow.”


His friend smiled a bit at having a normal conversation to relax the mood.


“You’re from the snow fields, right?” Yhisin questioned.


“I was…a long time ago…not much left.”


“Ah…victim of the war…I was the same. My wife and I had this beautiful home deep in the woods…made it myself with my own hands. I always wanted to settle down…have pups…” The fox smiled at reliving the golden years in his head before he turned to look back over at the dragon.


“Let’s make a promise…once we finish this job…let’s share a mug together.”


The dragon looked over at him to see that Yhisin had his clawed hand sticking out to him. With a huff, he took the offered hand to shake it.


“Have you even consumed any alcohol? You always seem…well-kept.”


“I have had my share.”


“At the brothel or bar?”


“Bar.”


“…was this during our orders or off duty?”


“During.”


“Tsk, if only the king knew,” Yhisin chuckled. “So, you never visited the brothel either? Human or feral?”

“Neither. I do not like the thought of a paying for a woman.”


“Same…oh to those who need a warm body at night. We’re tough ferals. We sleep alone.”


“…you are quite talkative,” the dragon noted, not really annoyed but he could tell that the fox was on edge. Yhisin frowned at spotting two large double doors coming into view that was heavily guarded. “…concerned is all…”


“I am sure your pups will be fine,” the Imperial reassured and gave his comrade a pat on the shoulder who sighed heavily before holding his head high.


“You’re right…nothing will happen…I’m positive…” he whispered to reassure himself before exchanging glances with his friend.


“…ready?”


“Yes…together…” As the two Imperials approached, the guards stepped to the side to push open the large doors which cringed loudly at their arrival. The wide hallway led into a spacious throne room that was shaped in a circle. Guards lined each knook and cranny of the room with weapons at their sides in case anything decided to break out. Before them was a large throne, to possibly boost the ego of the king more and speaking of said person, sitting on the throne look terribly bored was an older human man with a long worn out beard. This man was far past his prime…but that did not make him any less innocent. A guard noticed the Imperials approaching and stepped out of his ranking to approach the king, gaining the elder man’s attention.


“Your highness, Imperial Yhisin and Imperial Rial have both returned from their missions.”


“What gave us away?” Yhisin whispered so only his comrade could hear him and they both bowed at the knee to the king though Rial struggled a bit but managed, using his sword to keep him balanced.


“Ah wonderful!” The king boomed with an excited but gruff voice. It sounded as if any day now he was about to keel over. He slowly stood, his long cape fanning out behind him. “I anticipate good news from the both of you.”


The guard took a step back, giving the king his room who approached both kneeling ferals. Both of them exchanged glances, not knowing which would should break the news but Rial raised his head confidently.


“Forgive us your majesty…but we had no luck in finding the mender you seek.”


The blunt answer only seemed to make the king’s eyebrows narrow.


“…you have failed again?!” He snapped, taking another step forward but Yhisin took over this time.


“We are searching diligently…but the feral district is far larger than ours to accommodate the masses…searching everywhere is-“


“I do not want excuses!” He bit out and gestured for a nearby guard to come closer. Not even needing a command, the guard turned his sword to ram the hilt into Yhisin’s back, sending the fox to the floor with a gasp of pain. Rial gritted his teeth to look back up at the king.


“Your highness, we will keep searching. I bid you, give us more time.”


“I am DONE with giving you beasts more time! You should had captured them by now!”


With the force of his anger, the guard came over to Rial and he received a blow to his head, close to his horn. He audibly cried out but did his best to keep himself kneeling. He wouldn’t give this king the satisfaction of making him crumble. Yhisin slowly pushed himself up, wincing with his ears folding back.


“Perhaps you need more…persuasion…” The king stated and snapped his fingers. Unsure what was about to take place, Rial kept close to Yhisin as both watched one of the other guards leave the throne room through a side door for only a moment but as the seconds dragged on, both of their keen ears heard struggling and the whimpers of fear. The guard dragged out a small boy by his hair who clawed at the tight hold but seeing the lad made Yhisin’s eyes widen.


“Mitsu!” The fox yelled and out of instinct, tried to rush toward him but guards sent him back to the ground with more blows. He was forcefully held down, only managing to turn his head to keep his gaze on the boy. Rial stiffened a bit at seeing Mitsu crying at the pain when the guard kicked the back of his knees to make him kneel. The boy was not even an adolescent yet…


“P-p-papa…” the boy cried fearfully.


“Stay strong, son!” Yhisin looked up to the king with pleading eyes. “I will find the mender! I swear it! Let me son go!”


“Time and time again…I have given you both ample opportunities and time to search…I have drawn the final line…” The king told him and gave a small nod to the guard that held the boy. Making it swift, the guard used a free hand to bring out a small dagger and drove it into the back of the boy’s neck, severing his nerves and making his eyes grow lifeless.


“NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!” Yhisin yelled at the top of his lungs and fought against his captors’ hold but the king waved a hand for them to leave him alone. Cautiously, they released the fox who bolted over to this fallen son to cradle his deceased pup in his arms. “Mistu! Mitsu!!”


Rial felt his heart sinking for his comrade who had to his own offspring be put to death…all because of him. Fey could had been captured…but…


He bit his lower lip to look up at the king who was more interested in Yhisin weeping.


“…you only have one son left…your wife has already been killed…I’d advise you try harder…or else you’ll be with the lack of a family,” he warned and looked over to Rial. “Perhaps I am putting too much in you two…you might require more eyes…” He suggested and removed his own sword to bang the end of his hilt once against the floor. The sound echoed throughout the room. Rial was unsure what he was up to but he felt a shiver run down his spine when he saw two ink like pits forming in the middle of the throne room floor…close to him. He narrowed his eyes at whatever magic this was but watched as two slender men rose from the depths…looking disturbingly similar. They wore the same outfit…which only consisted of a long sleeved shirt that hid their hands and poofed out black pants.


On both of their faces was a painted symbol. The one had the outline of a sun around his right eye…while the other had a crescent moon on his left.


Their brown hair was parted to the sides…opposite of one another. Their eyes slowly opened with wicked grins, mirroring one another as they stood with hands folded across their chests.


“You summoned us, your majesty?” They spoke in unison. Rial had never seen anything like these two before…they weren’t ferals…but…looked human…still…he had never known a human to pull of such tricks.


“I did,” the king began and glanced to Rial, seeing his confusion. “I didn’t think I’d have to resort to these two…but your failure leaves me no choice. They will be accompanying you.”


Rial glanced back to the twins who returned the stare.


“A pleasure to meet you.”


“Meeting you is a pleasure.”


The Imperial was not feeling comfortable around these two, his dragon tail curling around his bent knees.

“Yuon and Luon are both masters of dark arts…nothing like you have seen before. If you ferals couldn’t find this mender…these two gentlemen will,” the king spoke with pride and looked back to the twins.


“I am looking for a mender…search the districts…ask everyone…and do not spoil anyone if you can help it.”


The twins bowed.


“We will find them.”


“Find them we will.”


Slowly, they sunk back into the ink like darkness they had emerged from and vanished as if nothing had taken place. Rial slowly swallowed while glancing over at Yhisin who still mourned over the loss of his child.


‘…Fey…you need to leave immediately.’



© 2017 Jensen Roman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on July 23, 2017
Last Updated on July 23, 2017
Tags: journey, adventure, romance, violence

Journey of the Mender


Author

Jensen Roman
Jensen Roman

Buford, GA



About
Hello! I am a 30 yr. old woman who is compassionate for writing, being imaginative and creating my own world. more..

Writing