Chapter 15: A Tear of Goodbye

Chapter 15: A Tear of Goodbye

A Chapter by Jensen Roman
"

The journey comes to an end for a close comrade.

"

Chapter 15: A Tear of Goodbye

 

             Safe…warm…secured…she felt all of those and more…and she really didn’t want to leave that sanctuary only to return to the real world but she felt a dire need to stretch out her sore limbs. With a quiet yawn of tiredness, Fey stretched out her tail and it seemed to have healed nicely though felt a tiny bit tender still when she moved it but what she didn’t expect was a much larger tail stretching as well before curling up to hers. Where…even was she? What happened? With her eyes still closed, Fey slowly came out of her dreams which were pleasant but still forgotten to ponder over the last events that she remembered.

 

Saei had returned…or…more like forced to return when she smacked that mask off him…

 

He bought her nice clothes…a uiorl where she played for him like back in the old days…until things grew more serious. Fey’s cheeks flushed with her eyes opening in slits, recalling and even feeling the tender touch on her lips. It wasn’t a full kiss…but it was fifty percent there. Did…Saei hold something for her? She never thought about it. When they were kids…it could had been considered fondness…but they were both adults now. She felt her heart beating a tiny bit harder when her senses started to return to her.

 

Two strong arms wound around her waist, keeping her warm and giving her the sense of protection while a steady rhythm pounded against her ear. Leaning away slightly, Fey came face to…well…chest with Saei’s body. His vest had opened a bit it seemed for…however long she slept and she had used it as a pillow. The redness in her cheeks darkened even more to know what she had done and nervously peeked up at her friend to see if maybe he was bothered…but to her surprise…Saei’s head was leaning back against the wall below the window with his own eyes closed. Soft growls were heard each time he exhaled.

 

‘…he’s…sleeping?!’ She sighed mentally in relief that he couldn’t see how nervous she was currently but looked around more. They were sitting where they were before sleep overcame them. She rested on his lap with her legs dangling over his and saw that the light from outside grew dimmer. Sitting up a bit more to have his claws falling to her sides, Fey could see the sun setting outside.

 

‘How long did we sleep?’ She questioned herself and figured…about five hours…? When she had arrived at his inn, the sun was in the middle of the sky…so it had to be roughly around there. ‘I don’t want him waking up to find me like this…’ She frowned shyly and attempted her best to move from his hold but as soon as she started to scoot forward, she heard a deep growl and nearly yelped when his arms tightened around her once more to only bring her back into her predicament.

 

‘T-this is bad!’ She whimpered and checked up on him to see if he had now woken…but he was still breathing calmly. ‘Alright…one obstacle at a time…’ She inhaled deeply and gently grasped one hand that was clutching her body to carefully guide it away, laying it down beside him. That was one out of the way…

 

She did the same to the other, taking her time and expected him to bolt awake anytime now…but thankfully he continued to growl in soft snores while she managed to escape finally. She sighed and stood, straightening her gown that had wrinkled a bit due to her position.

 

‘I should let him sleep a little longer…’ She glanced over at him with a soft smile. It was odd…to see the power that he held within…and how fast and ferocious he fought…but to see him look so peaceful…made her heart swell. ‘…Saei…I hope one day you can truly confide in me…’

 

A soft frown returned when she remembered her question. Why didn’t he show himself after they left Hulei? He responded…that he was afraid of himself…but…she had no idea what that meant. Maybe in time…but…it could be something about being the King’s Imperial…if he even was anymore. That had to be it…

 

Turning her eyes away from him, Fey sat down at the small table in his room to look at the food he had retrieved for her which had grown cold long ago…but it was still food. The mender did her best to stay quiet as she ate but it didn’t help when there was barely any noise…except for the distant sounds from the city. With night drawing near, she was sure the music would get louder with people talking. It was probably for the best that they got some rest.

 

She swallowed a small piece of meat only to nearly choke when she heard a deep inhale along with the cracking of bones. When she turned her eyes onto the culprit, it was just in time to see Saei sitting up straight and parting his lips to show off sharp fangs in a quiet yawn. He snapped his jaws shut and raised his arms above his head to crack even more bones but seemed to come to his senses. At not having her close, his eyes opened and landed on her eating not too far away from him. She blushed guilty with small glistening juice on the corner of her mouth.

 

“U-um…good morning…or I mean evening.”

 

Evening? Saei twisted his head around to look out the window and saw that she was right. Night was closing in…

 

He exhaled and stood, grabbing his sword to place it through his belt.

 

“How are you fairing?” He asked, running a hand through his hair to straighten it while keeping an eye on her.

 

“G-good. How was your sleep?” She wanted to change the subject off her but it seemed Saei had his own way of making her heart want to stop functioning.

 

“Pleasant. Your ears twitch in your sleep.”

 

“What?!” Her face exploded into a darker red and she nearly dropped her bowl at the accusation. “H-how do you know?”

 

The dragon shrugged and looked back out the window. “Earlier, you fell asleep so quickly…I thought you had fallen ill once more...but come to find out you had made me your sleeping arrangement for the afternoon.”

 

“S-s-s-so you watched me?”

 

“No,” he glanced back at her to see the embarrassment on her face. “When your breathing evened, I couldn’t move…or didn’t dare to…so I rested as well.”

 

“I h-had no idea,” she placed the bowl down to try and smother away the redness by rubbing her cheeks with an aggravated groan. “I’m so sorry, Saei.”

 

The Imperial tilted his head at her apology. “…my statements were not ones of complaint,” he told her and she stiffened at hearing him say he didn’t care. Why? He was deliberately teasing her…making her flush…but yet…

 

Fey nervously looked over at him. “Saei…can…I ask you something?”

 

“More questions? You know everything that happened.”

 

“No, no, no. Not about that…this one is…a bit personal…” her voice trailed off to see how he would respond but he remained quiet to let her continue. “…e-earlier…I told you…that you mean a lot to me…as both a friend and a person…what I don’t get is…you reacted but…not being clear.”

 

He seemed a bit confused as he took steps closer to her with his hand resting on the hilt of his sword.

 

“Speak more clearly.” She gulped nervously and tried to gather up what bits of courage she had.

 

“W-what I am trying to say is…well…I…I’ve felt…for a long time now…even when you weren’t there…I’ve always known that…I…l-“ Her sentence was cut off quickly before she could finish with his claws pressing against her lips but she felt her heart stop when he held a serious look within his eyes.

 

“Do not finish what you were saying…” he warned her in a deep tone which made her lose color in her face a bit. She pulled away from his hand with a slightly worried look. “Why? I’m not understanding you for you won’t answer my questions fully and yet you acted differently after. Why can’t you tell me?” She stood up to face him, eyes hardening a bit and wanting answers but the dragon returned her hard stare with his own.

 

“I am no fool…what you feel…what I feel…it must be put out of our minds. Earlier I was weak and caved.”

 

Was…was Saei really telling her…not to…feel this way? Her eyes welled up with unshed tears as she gritted her teeth.

 

“You’re not making sense! Do you hate me? If so, stop playing around with me for it’s only hurting. Just tell me right now…” A few tears finally managed to slip over her eyes and within them was so much hurt and betrayal. Saei remained standing before her, his hand tightening on his sword.

 

“…far from it…” he whispered, making her eyes widen a bit as a few more flowed down her face. “…I told you…that I know your mind…as well as my own…but it simply cannot come to pass.”

 

“…why…?” Her voice betrayed her, sounding more choked and weak. “…if…y-you know…”

 

“Sadly…I cannot give you an answer…all I can ask of you…is to put enough trust in me to guide you over the pass and further north until we find your home.”

 

“…w-when then…?” She frowned and had to lay a hand over her chest, afraid any moment now her heart was going to leap from her chest.

 

“…once we find your home…”

 

“That’s still a long way away…” she lowered her eyes with a tired sigh. “…I want to put trust in you…but…I can’t stop this pain from wanting to know. You said…you feared yourself…? Do you think I will…fear you somehow…if…you tell me why…?” Slowly, his pupils turned into slits as he kept eye contact with her which was a good enough answer for her. “…Saei…I could never fear you…never…but…if you’re telling me to put my trust in you…I will have to…but then you also have to trust me…can you do that?”

 

“Of course…”

 

“…then…close your eyes for me…and trust me…” She wiped away the trail of tears on her cheek and though Saei was a bit hesitant…he would do this for her. With a soft sigh, he closed his eyes to stand perfectly still and waited for her to do…whatever it was. It didn’t take long to feel her small claws gently grasping his hand, pulling it away from his sword to hold it between both of hers. Her fingers rubbed his palm as well as the back of his hand.

 

“…I won’t say anything…just like you told me to…but…I just want you to know…” She started to say and his tail curled almost nervously, unable to know what she had planned but even his cheeks tinted when he felt her turn his hand over to place a small kiss in his palm and closed his claws over it. “…I’m glad…I knocked that mask off your face…if anything you deserve a slap for hiding for so long…”

 

Saei wanted to open his eyes but kept them closed when he felt her laying her ear against his chest. In response, his heart beat quicker.

 

“…we don’t have to speak I guess…but I think…we should come up with a way to let the other know.” Slowly, his silver eyes opened without her chastising him to close them. Instead, she smiled up at him with a hopeful look that he would like the idea.

 

“…what do you propose?” He asked in a hushed tone and it only made her smile that much softer.

 

“This,” she said and reached up on her tiptoes to shyly rest her cheek against his, feeling the hard scales and hearing a deep exhale. After a second, Saei pressed against her cheek in return.

 

“This will do,” he whispered and gently guided her away to see that her eyes returned to be shining with a gentle light. “…for now. I promise you…have faith in me…and one day…you will know truly…”

 

“I’ll wait,” she rested back on her feet and looked to the window, wanting to drift off the topic. “…so, when are we leaving? Shouldn’t we go get Basil and Sid?”

 

Hearing his brother’s name after such a heartfelt moment made his teeth clench but he scooted past her to look back to the window. “We leave before dawn…but I have matters I must attend to,” he said and looked back to her. “I ask that you remain here in the meantime.”

 

“…matters…? Can I help?”

 

“Not this time, Fey,” he allowed a small smile to form that easily made her ears flicker shyly. “It would be for your own good if you stayed,” he suggested and walked over to the door to begin turning the handle but stiffened when he felt her arms wrapping around his stomach…well…the best that they could anyway. He lowered his head a bit as his long tail gently brushed against her sandaled foot.

 

“Be good while I’m gone…I’ll return later.”

 

“…I trust you,” she whispered and released him, allowing him to vanish once more from her sight and she sighed with a frown at feeling something was about to take place. It made her…uneasy. Looking back to the window, she saw that the sun had finally set before looking back to the open door. Curiosity won her over…and she found her feet carrying her to follow Saei from a distance so that he wouldn’t know he was being followed.

 

 

 

Night had fallen…and the moon had risen high into the sky. This was when he said he wanted to meet…but each second that passed, Basil grew more anxious. He clenched his claws into a fist, threatening to dig into his skin as he paced before the city once more. Sid frowned at seeing his worked-up state.

 

“Basil…calm down. Fey is strong, you know that. We’ll get her back,” he told him, watching as Basil growled lowly and swung a sharp jab at the air.

 

“…I shouldn’t have taken my eyes off her…” He sneered, flames licking at his wrists and Sid could only sigh at how easily riled the feline could get.

 

“It was my fault as well…but she can’t be harmed, right? Why make a mender suffer? So…she has that going for to keep her safe.” The truth of his words still didn’t seem to work on Basil as the flames only got higher to now be around his forearms.

 

“Pardon me, gentlemen,” spoke an unknown voice that interrupted the tension in the air. The flames instantly vanished from Basil as he swirled around to see a rather tall wolf like feral…but…this man wasn’t a feral for he had fur all over his body with no human attributes except for walking upright. Sid came closer with his ears swiveled back cautiously.

 

“Can we help you?”

 

“Yes, you may,” he grinned innocently but Basil narrowed his eyes when he felt a hidden agenda behind this beast’s pleasantries. “You see…I have been traveling in search of a certain someone and you probably wouldn’t believe me even if I told you.”

 

A certain someone? Sid felt his muscles tighten as the beast placed a large paw on his hip.

 

“Who even are you?” Basil did his best to control his anger, terrible at hiding it but this newcomer didn’t seem threatened.

 

“Bylues…an Asthei…and you?”

 

Not wanting to anger this beast, Sid took a step forward and gave Basil a look to silently tell him to hold off on wanting to beat this beast to a pulp.

 

“Sid…a simple hare…and this is Basil…we’re travelers as well. So…who were you looking for?”

 

Bylues clasped his paws together calmly. “Do you not take me as crazy…but I am looking for a being who is capable of healing any injury…any sickness…I figured they were heading this way but I’ve had no eye witnesses.”

 

Fey…he was searching for her. Basil grit his teeth so hard his gums started to turn white but Sid laid a hand on his shoulder to try and calm him down.

 

“That’s just an old myth. Menders were wiped out years ago. I’m afraid you’re just on a wild goose chase if you think she is out there somewhere.”

 

Bylues sighed heavily with his large wolf tail swaying slowly. “A shame…I had hoped to make my travels fruitful by finding this being…” He slowly raised his eyes to land on Sid and smirked wickedly. “…but I never stated what gender they were…hare.”

 

Sid’s eyes widened when he was caught red handed, not thinking before tossing out that the mender was a female. Basil was already in a fighting stance with flames igniting on his claws and feet while Bylues placed his paws behind his back.

 

“Hand over the mender…and I will spare your lives,” he stated.

 

“Not a chance!” Basil pushed off the ground to rush forward, his fist already in the air to try and take a swing at the wolf but before he could land a punch, his fist was caught in a tight grip with Bylues glaring down at him.

 

“…the more you struggle…the more painful your death will be…” He threatened and slammed his paw into the feline’s stomach, knocking him back a few feet but the impact made him cough up blood.

 

“Damnit all…” Sid muttered and assessed Bylues quickly. This beast was fast…and powerful…so he just needed to try and find an opening. With Basil slowly picking himself up from the attack, Sid was up next to dart toward Bylues faster than what Basil had done and vanished before the wolf’s eyes.

 

“Silly tricks won’t work,” Bylues smiled, his ears swiveling to his left and he swung his large arm in time when Sid reappeared to try an attack but the arm connected with his chest, sending him onto his back harshly. Not having time to recollect himself, Sid gasped in pain when Bylues gripped the hare’s ankles hard and easily pulled him into the air to slam him down onto his front.

 

“Sid!” Basil yelled out in worry to see the hare being slammed again on his back, releasing sounds of pain. Growling, Basil charged forward with a feline like roar to barrel into Bylues and set the wolf on fire. His claws dug into the beast’s fur and he sunk his fangs into the enemy’s shoulder, trying to tear at flesh as his fire consumed them both.

 

Sid managed to catch the breath that he lost, feeling pain in his abdomen as he carefully sat up with shaky arms to see…Bylues not even looking worried. It was a mass of fire that stumbled and he heard Basil roaring while trying to claw at the beast.

 

“Enough…” The wolf gripped Basil’s face to roughly pull the feline off his body, the fire extinguishing when he started to apply pressure on Basil’s skull. With eyes wide in fear, the feline dug his claws into Bylues’ paw and kicked at the beast as he was hauled higher into the air with his body dangling. “…you are quite the nuisance. I allow you both to walk away freely…and ask for one simple thing,” he calmly told him and squeezed his paw harder, making Basil cry out in pain when the wolf’s claws threatened to crack open his skull like an egg.

 

“I do not see why you even try. Shortly…you both will be dead…and the mender will still be in my clutches…even if I must search the city…killing any who acted foolish like you,” he narrowed his eyes and tossed Basil forward. The feline landed hard on his back and touched his head for a moment to feel a bit of blood trickling down. He panted harshly at exerting himself but stood slowly on wobbly legs, looking over to Bylues who tilted his head.

 

“…you do have spirit…but that does not mean I will spare your life.” The wolf took slow steps forward toward Basil who brought up his fists, ready to strike out at him but he didn’t have the energy to bring his fire back as well. This beast was far too strong but he would do everything he could to stop him from getting any closer to Fey…even if it meant giving up his own life just to stop him.

 

‘Fey…do what you can…’ He started to tell her mentally as Bylues slowly came to a stop before him. ‘…Sid is right…you’re strong…you’ll make it back home…it’s only sad…that you’ll never know how much you meant to me…’ Basil gritted his teeth and threw his fist forward only to have the wolf catch it easily without trouble.

 

“You ask for a swift death…you shall have it…” The wolf pointed his paw at him and Sid slowly stood, breathing heavily as he tried to reach his comrade in time.

 

“Perish…” Bylues whispered and Basil clenched his eyes shut, ready for his pain to increase but his ears perked when a loud…bestial roar was heard that didn’t come from the wolf before him…but behind him. It was swift but the hold Bylues had on him was torn from off him and Basil was too weak to even stand. He fell back onto his rear and cautiously opened his eyes to see what had happened but his face paled and he could had sworn his lungs stopped breathing for a full moment.

 

Standing before him protectively…was Rial. His back was to him with his large dragon tail laying nearby and his lethal sword was drawn at his side. His silk like hair was free from its confines to be blown gently in the night breeze while Bylues had put some distance between them…with a nasty cut on his forearm.

 

Why…would the Imperial…be saving him?

 

Sid was also in shock since everything happened in a mere blur and now the feral who had attacked Basil back at their campsite was now protecting him it seemed. Not wanting to draw attention to himself, Sid moved around where he knew a battle was about to commence to reach Basil, helping the feline stand.

 

“…w-what…are you…?” Basil whispered, his voice quivering but he felt a stab of pain in his heart when Rial glanced over his shoulder to show that he no longer wore his mask. The feline’s heart raced to see familiar silver eyes…staring down at him. What he thought he knew…was nothing but a lie?

 

“Fey is safe…” Saei told him and turned back to face Bylues who smirked at the new arrival.

 

“Ah, so you must be one of the Imperials the king told me to dispose of…but I don’t think I will do that just yet…Drysiohn.”

 

At hearing the name, Saei narrowed his eyes and took a step away from his brother who was still in a state of disbelief but Sid kept an arm around him to keep him stable, not sure what was going on.

 

Saei stood across from the wolf who folded his arms with a pleased grin.

 

“So…I will give you the same opportunity I gave to the cat…tell me where the mender is…and maybe…I will give you a swift death. I would let you walk…but having a Drysiohn alive…is not a good thing.” The dragon stood quiet, his body rigid as he continued to glare at Bylues. “…I’m surprised you haven’t killed the mender by now…”

 

Sid looked over at the two to listen in and only grew more confused by the second.

 

“…don’t give me that look…surely when you and the other Imperial were chasing after her…it crossed your mind once…to have her blood pouring from your mou-“ Bylues was silenced when he had to leap away to dodge a swift attack from Saei who almost managed to cut his throat. The wolf landed on his feet with another wicked smirk.

 

“This will be my first time fighting with a Drysiohn…I’ve killed many kinds of beings in my life…but yours…will be special. Let us begin then,” Bylues assumed a fighting stance since it seemed Saei was clearly going to give him more of a challenge than Basil had and it was shown when Saei rushed forward in a blur of colors to swipe his sword at him, forcing the wolf away but Bylues kicked off the ground to land his claws into Saei’s chest.

 

“…this…was something I didn’t expect…” Sid whispered, watching as the Imperial brushed off the injury to manage a cut across Bylues’ stomach. “…how you feeling?”

 

Basil’s red eyes were focused on the battle…more importantly…the dragon who had to leap away when Bylues tried to capture his sword. It…really couldn’t be…

 

This entire time…

 

He thought…

 

His own kin…

 

His eyes wavered with held back emotions when he watched his brother roar and brought down his sword hard, missing the wolf by a hair but left a nasty mark in the ground that was tainted with shadow that killed the grass.

 

His…brother…was alive…and had been there…the entire time…

 

He still couldn’t wrap his claws around the idea…

 

Sid frowned when Basil didn’t respond but figured he was just in shock still from how much he pushed himself and returned to watching the battle. Bylues smirked as he panted softly, his tail curling behind him to see Saei’s eyes turning into slits.

 

“That’s it…where’s the rest of your power…?”

 

The Imperial growled and charged forward once more to swing his sword upward, only grazing the hairs on the wolf’s body who only continued to dodge.

 

“Why are you holding back?!” He taunted, raising his paw to roughly land his claws across Saei’s cheek, blood splattering onto the ground below but Saei roared in anger and impaled the wolf’s arm with his blade. Being this close, Bylues chuckled when he saw wisps of shadow escaping between the dragon’s lips.

 

“…what would drive you over the edge…?” The wolf whispered, locking eyes with Saei who only growled in response. “…you know what you are…as do I…” He gripped the sword in his arm to tear it out, pushing Saei away from him and causing him to stumble but it was a prime opportunity. The wolf roared and leapt forward with claws and fangs visible to sink them into the feral’s flesh.

 

“SAEI!” His brother yelled, snapping out of his shock when he saw his kin’s blood being spilled on the ground and the weight of the wolf knocked them over. The feline pushed himself to his feet and tried to move forward but he froze when a frightening roar shook the ground beneath his feet. Keeping his eyes on the struggle, he watched as Bylues’ eyes widened when Saei’s claws gripped his neck to tear him off his body and threw him a good distance away.

 

The wolf touched his neck to feel blood but he looked over to see Saei standing, his sword grazing the ground as he reclaimed it but dark shadows sparked from his body. Bylues chuckled and stood, both of their blood littered the ground.

 

“You’re starting to show your true colors…you’re just blood thirsty…” he sneered out and rushed forward to meet Saei head on but dodged to the side when he saw the glistening blade almost land another mark on him. It gave him an opening though as he sank his fangs into the back of the dragon’s neck, forcing another roar from him.

 

“This isn’t looking good,” Sid whispered to himself and drew close to Basil who he could tell wanted to help but his legs were frozen to the spot.

 

“W-w-w-what’s going on?” Asked a frightened voice that both knew and it snapped them out of the horrible scene before them. Basil was the first to spin around to see a pale looking Fey who was shaking at seeing all the blood…as well as the fight…and not to mention the wounds on both of her friends. “W-what happened to you?” She asked worriedly and rushed forward only to be met halfway by Basil who embraced her as tightly as he could without breaking her in half. She smelled blood…all over him…and he was shaking…

 

Frowning at seeing them both in pain, Fey gently guided Basil to sit down with her but he wasn’t letting her go. “…Basil…I’m fine…I promise…now you’re hurt…please…let me help,” she whispered, managing to pull him back slightly to look into his weary eyes. “Can you tell me what is going on?” She asked, looking up to Sid for some answers. The hare glanced back to see Saei tearing himself away to only swing his bulky tail at the wolf, making it connect with his stomach.

 

“We…got a letter from that Imperial feral…to meet him out here. It concerned you…but before he showed…that wolf beast was looking for you…apparently sent by the king or so he said.” Fey paled and with her hands on Basil to do the best that she could, her white eyes glanced over to the battle to feel her heart plummeting to see Saei openly bleeding.

 

‘Saei…’ She had never seen him looking so…vicious while fighting…even with Basil back at the campsite and the fight she had with him was nothing but a joke for he wasn’t even trying. Basil softly sighed when he felt some of the pain subsiding due to Fey’s magic and frowned down at her while her hands continued to glow. “Are you alright?”

 

“I am…I was really worried about you two…”

 

“We’ll talk about it later,” Sid told them and watched as the fighting grew more intense. Bylues was bleeding just as much as Saei by now but the wolf rushed at the dragon to grab him around the throat, his claws scrapping at his hard scales to pin him to the ground with a snarl but Saei brought his legs up to kick the beast off him. Both fighters panted and stood facing one another. Blood dripped from fingers…chins…and it was clear they were wearing thin but Bylues looked over toward where his prior opponents rested…to see the white glow. He smirked with a chuckle.

 

“…how idiotic of her…to show herself so openly…” His eyes turned back onto Saei to see him bordering on the edge of being a true beast. “Do you not see that…? You have to be able to smell it…the pure magic she gives off…” Bylues straightened his back with a knowing look. “…it’s yours for the taking…” The wolf gestured toward the small group and Saei only glanced over for a split moment to see that the wolf spoke the truth. Her glow radiated brightly like the sun itself within this dark of night…but she raised her eyes from healing Basil to find his. Even from the distance…nothing but worry crossed her features…worry for him. He gritted his teeth as hard as he could.

 

“Well? You thirst for that blood…this is your moment…this is what your people did…” Bylues whispered so only the two of them could hear but he paled when Saei slowly turned back to him and tightened the grip on his sword.

 

“…what’s the matter with you?!” He spat out at him but had to instantly guard himself when the large dragon barreled forward once more. Despite being wounded, he was still fast to send the wolf onto his back who rolled away to dodge claws that impaled the ground where his head once laid and sprung to his feet to assault the Imperial once more.

 

“Saei is hurt…” Fey whimpered and with Basil feeling much better except for a few bruises, he stood to face the battle to watch his brother being now put on the defense but he paled when Bylues’ claws dug straight into Saei’s shoulder to tear at the flesh.

 

“SAEI!” Fey yelled at the top of her lungs and stood swiftly to rush at the battle, nearly slipping on blood of both opponents. “Fey! No!” Basil hollered after her, gaining on her heels but when Bylues pushed Saei away again to get some distance, he spotted the mender rushing toward them. With a snarl, he tightened his claws. “…screw that b*****d of a king…I’ll take the mender for myself,” he whispered and ignored the dragon completely to rush at Fey who yelped at the turn of events that she didn’t expect. She was only wanting to help Saei…to maybe give him a bit of his energy back but to see this large wolf barreling toward her made her legs lock up.

 

“FEY MOVE!” Basil yelled, pushing his legs harder to try and help her but when Bylues parted his jaws at drawing closer, a loud roar came behind him and a large shadow dragon enveloped him, stopping his movements. The dragon roared as it started to consume his fur and skin but Bylues raised his paw to use his own power to disintegrate the attack. Wisps of shadow rose from his body as he looked over to where the mender stood to see his attacker standing before her with his sword pointing at him.

 

Fey’s limbs shook in fear but looked up at the tall feral before her just as Basil reached her as well. “S-Saei…l-let me help…” She pleaded to him but all he could focus on was the wolf before him who seemed to be in shock.

 

“…curse you…” He whispered with a glare. “You’re better off dead!” He roared and rushed back at Saei. Fey yelped but Basil quickly pulled her away when Saei met the wolf head on, their claws digging into each other in a heated moment to see who had more strength.

 

“YOUR KIND IS DEAD! AS WILL YOU BE!” Bylues yelled as he twisted his claws into the dragon’s soft skin that wasn’t guarded by scales. He roared in agony and tried to use his claw to push the wolf away but with a hidden force, Bylues pinned Saei back onto the ground with an intent on killing him.

 

Basil and Fey could only look on in fear at the tables turning out of their favor and Bylues slowly raised his paw in the air, aiming it at Saei’s throat who bared fangs to him threateningly.

 

“May your spirit never find rest, you blood hungry beast…” The wolf whispered with a glare but he yelled in pain when a sharp impact of water connected with his side to send him away from Saei.

 

Fey and Basil turned to see who made the attack.

 

Yhisin slowly walked up to be beside them, taking a small glance at them, and waved with a smile.

 

“How dare you all have a party and not invite me,” he teased, putting Basil on edge to see the other Imperial showing up but the fox held up his hand in defense. “Stop looking at me like that, cat…I’m here to defend my friend and the mender…so I guess that includes you…”

 

“…b-b-but…” It was clear Basil was confused but Yhisin smiled innocently.

 

“We’ll talk it out over a cup of nice liquor. Deal?” He continued to step forward, watching as his friend slowly stood and eyed him.

 

“You’ve looked better…” The fox noted but was earned a growl as Saei shook the blood off his body and faced the wolf. Bylues glared at yet another intruder…but when he looked at him closely…he smirked.

 

“You’re the other Imperial…the fox…”

 

“…what of it…?” Yhisin asked and weaved his hand through the air as a sharp water lance formed in his palm, looking almost like ice with how clear it was.

 

“…so, it was your son back at the castle…am I right?” The wolf grinned when he saw the fox narrowing his eyes slightly and placed the lance at his side. “…he looked just like you…not anymore…”

 

Yhisin’s eyes squinted as Bylues brushed off the blood from his fur. “The small pup…he was dragged out into the throne room…like a prisoner…and he looked…so scared…” His words made the fox’s tail tighten a bit as he took another step forward.

 

“What did you do?!” He growled out but Bylues looked proud with his next words. “...I dissolved him…from the inside…your pup screamed…like an infant…”

 

Fey was horrified to hear what happened, not knowing Yhisin had a child…and to hear…this wretched beast made him suffer…it almost made her sick as she backed up a bit more but Basil kept her safe with him. Yhisin’s arms shook a bit with repressed rage and he lowered his head with a soft whimper.

 

“A waste of my time really…but you’ll soon be joining him…” Bylues smirked and made the first move by springing forward toward the wolf, wanting to end him quickly but Yhisin raised his rage filled eyes to meet the wolf in the middle and brought down his lance hard to cut open his shoulder, tendon and all.

 

“YOU…KILLED MY SON!” Yhisin yelled and brought his lance down again with Bylues barely dodging it and now with his one arm useless, it’d be that much harder to bring down this fox. “YOU KILLED HIM!” The fox didn’t give him a chance to be on the offensive as he kept swinging ruthlessly. The wolf gritted his teeth at the situation and ducked under the lance to dig his working claws into Yhisin’s chest, swiveling his arm to break past the skin.

 

“I’ll kill you just like him!” Bylues roared at him as his claws started to heat up with unknown energy that ate away at his skin. Yhisin yelled in pain but dug his lance down into the junction of his neck, making his opponent also yell out.

 

“You’ll…have to try harder…if you want…to kill me…” Yhisin bit out, fighting back the pain when his chest started to grow black and he felt his lungs working harder as he put more strength behind his weapon to slice his weapon across the wolf’s throat. Bylues’ eyes widened as he felt blood slipping down his chest and staggered back only to see the fox swinging his lance one last time to cleanly sweep his head off his shoulders. The wolf’s body remained standing for a moment longer before collapsing to the ground at Yhisin’s feet.

 

Slowly, his water lance vanished from his hold as he closed his eyes with a sad smile, a tear traveling down his cheek as he too fell back onto the blood strained grass with the black energy slowly traveling to his heart and lungs.

 

With the battle finally over…it felt like it had taken a toll on everyone present…but Fey frowned and was the first one to move, tearing away from Basil’s hold gently to hurry over to where Saei was standing. The dragon breathed heavily, his back expanding in her view to gather some much-needed air but his sword slowly slipped from his claws to land on the ground at his feet. She frowned and pushed herself harder to reach him just as he fell onto his knees which she knew must have hurt but she came to sit before him with worry in her eyes.

 

“Saei?” She whispered, trying to gain his attention but his eyes were tiredly looking down at the ground. “…it’s okay…I have you now…” she told him and raised her hands to his body, ready to heal but his eyes snapped up to see what she was doing…and quickly stopped her with his claws around her wrists. She was startled at first but looked into his eyes, pleading silently.

 

“…let me heal you…” She whispered again, trying to push her hands forward but he kept them away. She didn’t understand why but blushed heavily when he leaned forward to place his wounded cheek next to hers…pressing his skin to hers as much as he could. Not caring about the blood, she let a worried tear fall as she pressed back just as hard.

 

“…you scared me…so much…I thought I was going to lose you again…” she told him but choked on her breath when she heard a small apologetic growl from him. He must had been too tired to even talk. Hearing footsteps coming closer made Fey pull away to see Basil and Sid reaching them worriedly.

 

“…i-is…he alright?” Basil asked, looking down at his brother in concern who exhaled deeply and closed his eyes.

 

“Yes…you all just need rest…” She smiled wearily but looked over to Yhisin…who wasn’t moving. She stood, her beautiful gown already tainted with blood as she hurried over to the fox who was softly smiling with his eyes closed. She kneeled beside him with a frown, seeing his chest slowly growing sicker looking…until she saw his bones showing.

 

“Don’t worry, I’ll get you healed up quickly,” she told him and placed her hands on his shoulder, her skin starting to glow but Yhisin slowly opened his eyes, the color dimmer than before. He smiled sadly up at her and used whatever little strength he had left to brush off her mending. Fey frowned in concern but he read her face.

 

“…sometimes…healing…isn’t the only option…sometimes…you have to…let matters go…” he whispered with his chest moving a bit slower to catch his breath but Fey shook her head. “I can do this…I know I can…”

 

“…I know…but…this is…my decision…”

 

His subtle words only squeezed at her throat as she curled her tail around herself with a whimper.

 

“…is…there anything I can do for you?”

 

Yhisin managed a nod as he closed his eyes, now struggling to breathe.

 

“…watch…ov…er…Rial for…me…tell him…I’m sorry…for acting all…tough…sorry I…couldn’t finish…this journey…with him…but…I think…I’m ready…to see my family…” The fox opened his eyes slightly to gaze up at her to see a few tears falling near his arm and he put on a smile. “…do not…feel sadness…mender…death…is a normal part…of life…that even you…cannot keep from coming…”

 

“I k-know…” She frowned sadly down at him and only saw his breathing slowing even more.

 

“…c-can…you make sure…I am guided to…my family…?” Fey only managed a nod, laying a comforting hand on his shoulder as Yhisin slowly closed his eyes, breathing a few more times before his chest fell for the last time. It hurt…to know she could had done something…and it hurt even more…to know…that all this pain…was caused by her…people hunting her…desiring her…and those who were innocent got in the way. Fighting back a whimper, Fey removed her hand from him but her eyes widened at what she was witnessing. His skin glowed a beautiful white and from his body rose a see-through version of himself.

 

 ‘…am…I seeing…his spirit…?’ Fey asked in amazement. Slowly, like a wisp, Yhisin opened his ethereal eyes and righted himself to be hovering over his body but he took steps away. Fey heard cheering…and crying. Looking over, the mender spotted three small boys that looked identical to him running forward but slowly as if time was stopping. When they finally reached Yhisin, they hugged his legs and tail so tightly that it made his eyes sparkle with joy and his lips rose in a smile. His head turned to see another sight…

 

A beautiful human woman emerged from…Fey guessed where spirits departed to when they died. She had a sad smile on her face but Yhisin pulled her to him tightly.

 

‘…his family…’ She smiled with another tear slipping down her face to see Yhisin looking back to her, directly at her eyes, and waved a farewell before he vanished along with his kin.

 

Only she could had seen that…or else she would have heard Basil and Sid freaking out…and slowly, Fey closed her eyes.

 

This journey…was going to be long…dangerous…and she was sure there would be a lot of blood shed all for her.

 

‘I have to keep going…I can’t give up now…I’ll reach my home…soon…’



© 2017 Jensen Roman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

137 Views
Added on August 4, 2017
Last Updated on August 4, 2017
Tags: journey, adventure, violence, romance

Journey of the Mender


Author

Jensen Roman
Jensen Roman

Buford, GA



About
Hello! I am a 30 yr. old woman who is compassionate for writing, being imaginative and creating my own world. more..

Writing