Chapter 7: Illusion

Chapter 7: Illusion

A Chapter by Jensen Roman
"

A new destination with a helping guide and the danger only grows stronger with secrets

"

Chapter 7: Illusion

 

           Trapped…that’s what she felt like…swimming in an endless sea of pure energy with no end in sight. It felt as if she would never leave…or would be allowed to. ‘…I’m so tired…’ she whispered to herself but she heard her own thoughts a loud within her dream as if she were speaking. ‘…why can’t I wake up?’ Her bright eyes slowly opened, only to be greeted by more of her own energy that swirled around her and she suddenly winced when it felt like…someone was stealing her magic.


‘Twenty gold…now heal this nice customer.’


‘…I c-can’t…I’m…so tired.’


‘If you do not wish to live on the streets you will do what you were meant to do.’


Her caretaker…always pushed her body past its limit. There were days when she was just…drained...but someone else would come along with a small cough and she’d have to go and mend them…but to her…it felt like torture. Healing…every hour…day after day…


Fey closed her eyes once more as a lone tear slid down her cheek.


‘It hurts…what do I do…where do I go…?’ Her questions bounced off the wall of her dream to continue replaying over and over, taunting her about her fate.


‘You will be OURS, mender,’ shouted the twins…and she remembered…feeling hot…before passing out.


‘…did I…get captured…?’ Her tail curled slowly in her drifting state at the mere thought of being bound in some cell like room, forced to heal for those who harmed the innocent to the point where she became ill.


‘I…never pondered my fate…until now…’ Another tear slid down her cheek. ‘Am I destined…to only be…subjected to this…forever…? To be chased…? Hunted…?’ Two more tears followed the path of the prior ones but the voices around her telling her how to live under their orders slowly died away and two large hands cupped both of her cheeks, stopping the flow of tears.


Sniffling back more that wanted to topple over, Fey opened her blurry eyes to see a large figure floating right before her that was also a bit taller in stature. She blinked away the tears in her eyes to try and see better but the figure remained blurry, despite her vision getting better.


‘…you have suffered so much…forgive me…’ The voice sounded miles away…almost in a whisper despite their touch being right there.


‘Why are you sorry…? Who…?’ She asked them and felt her head pound hard enough to force her eyes shut with a whimper.


‘…g…or…th…int…ow…’


‘…I don’t…know what you’re saying…’ Fey winced when another pound resided in her head and the figure started to fade from her view along with the touch of their hands to her cheeks.


‘…al…ays…b…my…me…er…’


‘Wait…’ She pleaded with them but her world slowly crumbled, forcing her out of her dreams and back into the harsh reality.


With a soft moan, Fey curled her dainty claws into a fist and felt a soft patch of fur within her clutches. She wasn’t sure how long she had been sleeping…what happened…where she was…or if Basil was even okay.


A sense of worry flowed into her body which gave her a bit more drive to open her weary eyes. It was day…that was for certain. The soft glow and warmth of the sun beamed down upon her through the window. A soft breeze blew in as well with the soft smell of rain accompanying it.


‘…so…it rained…?’ She remembered a few droplets before she blacked out. Craning her neck back to crack some of her sore muscles, Fey’s vision adjusted more to start bringing things into view. A closed wooden door was across the way before her.


So…she was in a room…or house…


Turning away from the door, she looked around the rest of the room. On a side table by her bed was a small cup that had a scent that tickled her nose along with a delicious smelling soup. Her stomach gurgled with hunger as she slowly pushed herself to curiously look down at herself. She still wore her gown, a bit wrinkled possibly due to being drenched and something she’d like to change out of later.


A large fur blanket covered her and it slid down her body the more she sat up. Reaching up to touch her forehead, she didn’t feel as if her head was hot anymore…so…maybe the illness Basil was worried about had gone?


‘Basil?’ Thinking of her friend, she frowned when there was no sign of him in the room but her ears swiveled when she heard his boyish like laugh coming from behind the door. He…must be okay…if he was laughing…right? Still a bit woozy, Fey swung her legs over the bed to have her clawed feet plant themselves on the floor and she saw a small satchel out of the corner of her eyes. Who did it belong to?  The curiosity got the better of her as she reached over to pull it onto her lap. A rolled-up parchment was the first thing that caught her eye so she pulled it out, putting the satchel to the side and unraveled it.


To her surprise…it was a map of this entire continent and folding it out even more revealed the other one. Near the bottom of the continent she knew and had lived her entire life was Hulei city. It was very detailed…showing the large walls and especially the center where the king lived. She frowned and kept looking it over until her eyes landed near the top where the snow fields started.


She saw Basil and Saei’s home…nothing but rubble now…but this map kept it alive as if it stood to this very day. Her fingers lightly ran over the image of a large castle with a feline emblem above it that breathed flames. To the west of that, not too far but would still be a good distance, was another place but she was…unfamiliar with it.


Drysiohl,” she spoke aloud, looking at the emblem of a dragon above it curiously. With a frown, she continued to observe the map and even further north was a thin line that was hand drawn…


To the side of it was a note.


“…mirage barrier…only with your eyes may you pass…” she looked above the line to see another image of a place and it made her heart stop for a second.


“…Estyuin…my home...” she whispered with a sad smile and noticed a large circle was around it with another note to the side. “…safe…”


Was this…meant for her? Frowning more, she was about to close it up when she saw one last note at the top.


“…Imperial Rial…he did this…?” Her eyebrows drew together and recalled during their fight how he explained he had a way of transportation for her. Was…this his doing as well…? Shaking her head with a soft sigh of feeling a headache coming on, she folded the map and reached back into the satchel to pull out an old book. The edges were a bit torn and there was dust on it. She swept her hand over it to read the title.


“…The Culture of Menders…”


Why would this book be within the satchel as well? Mentally, she didn’t know much about her heritage…since she was only a little girl still going into her teen years when everything happened. Her father and she had been traveling a bit too much to really teach her in their ways. Opening the very first page showed a beautiful illustration of a group of grown menders in a circle with a very bright and holy energy flowing out from them to encircle one another.


She could feel her heart speeding up a bit…as if finding out a part of herself she never knew existed.

Turning to the next page, her eyes started to scan over a few words.


“Menders are beings of holy origin and are always born under the light of the sun in summer. The light of the sun blesses a newborn with the gift of renewing life.” She skipped down a bit more to continue. 


“Menders have also been known to create light in dark places…cure the sick…heal any wound except for amputation unless the mender is strong enough to attach the severed limb to the body as well as…extend life. Not only known for their healing abilities, menders can also discharge powerful attacks to either make foes incapacitated or…send their souls into the next world.” Fey paled slightly at knowing this power could be sleeping within her…but…was that…what she did with the twins…? She had no idea…since she wasn’t sure if they were still alive or not.


Exhaling shakily, Fey turned to the next page and she tilted her head at the next drawing. It showed…her people…tied down over stone tablets…with daggers in their bodies and blood pouring down into cups.


‘W-what…?’ She couldn’t even speak when she read underneath. “The city of Drysiohl has inhabited the opposite of the blessings received from the menders. Those who were born under the moon in the harshest of winters were showered with shadows and cared for by the moon. Harboring…” Her lips slowly came to a stop as her eyes read forward than her mouth could keep up with and she had to force herself to stop.


“…n-no…t-this can’t be true…” she whispered, her hands shaking but the words flashed in her mind.


Bloodlust…


Feeding…


Drinking of blood…


Shadow devouring the light…


Fey forced the page over to see that the next page…had been ripped out. Little ridges were the only evidence that there was even something there. She couldn’t take anymore today and slammed the book shut with a shaky breath.


She needed to go see Basil…now…


Stuffing the book and map back into the satchel to mull over it later, Fey stood slowly to straighten out her gown before gently placing her hand against the door to listen to the voices outside her room.


‘Voices…? Who else is out there with Basil?’


“…I think you’ve had enough, kit,” stated the strange voice she hadn’t heard before. It was obviously a man though.


“No…I got this…give me another round.” That one was Basil but it was followed by a hiccup and something creating a thud.


“Your face is flushed and you can’t even hold your head up. Have you never had a cup of alcohol before?”


“I have! This…many!”


“…you’re drunk.”


Nervously, Fey pushed open the door to find Basil sitting at a small table with his head swaying from side to side as he leaned back to down the contents of the small cup between his claws. Across from him looking amused was a feral she had never seen before…but he looked friendly. As if hearing her thoughts, the hare looked over at seeing her awake and grinned handsomely.


“So, our little kitten has woken up.” Basil also turned her way and she could tell from where she stood that the stranger was right. His eyes were hazed over with alcohol but he stood up on wobbly legs to raise his cup to her.


“Fey! How’ve you been? You slept for years!”


The mender looked confused at his slurred voice and looked over to the hare who rested his chin in his hand. “Just indulge him. It’s amusing. Been keeping me entertained while you were resting.”


“Did you get him drunk?”


“Me? Good heavens, no. I offered one drink between a new kinship. He’s the one who can’t handle it. I’ve had ten and am still sober,” he prided.


“H-hey!” Basil interrupted with another hiccup and came around the table. “Want to see me…do a push-up?”


Fey drew her eyebrows together when Basil fell to his hands and knees. “I’ve done this…hundreds of time…I’m the best pusher upper in all the land.”


“See? He’s actually the best drunk I’ve seen yet,” the hare shrugged and stood to put his half empty bottle away to cut off Basil’s supply as the feline laid on his stomach.


“…don’t you think this is bad though?” Fey frowned in worry. “Who even are you? Why are we here?”

“No need to fret, kitten,” he replied and leaned against his stove to watch as Basil tried to push himself up but fell flat while counting aloud his progress. “Your friend here told me a lot.”


“ONE!”


“Apparently you two fled from Hulei city, though the reason is unknown to me still and you want to get as far away as possible.”


“TWO!”


“I already know you are a mender as well,” he pushed away from the stove to motion for her to take a seat at his table. Fey still seemed cautious but…if this feral was bad…Basil probably would had pummeled his face already so she took his offer and smoothed her gown out to sit down.


“THREE!”


“So, did you eat the meal I made for you?” The hare asked and moved around Basil who was already slowing down and looking groggy. “O-oh no…my mind was…elsewhere,” she told him which wasn’t a total lie. “You still haven’t given me your name either.”


He looked back at her with his long ears swiveling a bit to hear Basil struggling to form words now.


“Name’s Sid,” he gave her a small wink and entered the room she had used to bring out the small bowl of soup along with her tea. “You need to eat since you just overcame your illness. Wouldn’t want it returning. I already told your friend you can’t stay forever.” He placed the meal down before her and was about to take a seat when he heard snoring. Looking down, Basil’s eyes were closed and his lips were parted to softly snore.


“And he’s out. He lasted longer than I thought. I’ll get him into the bed to sleep it off while you start digging in,” Sid told her and carefully picked up Basil to haul him over his shoulder like some sack of vegetables. “Eh, he’s heavy,” he grumbled and took her friend back into her room.


With a soft frown at still feeling a bit anxious in this feral’s house, Fey turned her eyes down to the soup and tea he made. They smelled wonderful…too wonderful. It looked like a proper meal…which was more than what she was used to. Her stomach whined at wanting to be fed but…


“Do I need to feed you?” His voice asked and nearly startled her. She looked up to see him closing the door to the room but he also had her satchel in his hand.


“N-no!” Her face flushed a bit but Sid chuckled and dropped off the satchel nearby to take a seat across from her.


“I am teasing, kitten. It’s been a few months since I’ve seen others of my kind so humor me.”


“And my name is Fey.”


“Pity, I kinda liked the pet name,” he pushed the bowl of soup closer to her. “You don’t like? Felines like meat.”


“I…haven’t tried it yet.”


“You’re hungry. Even my ears can hear your stomach. Are you a sloppy eater? Won’t bother me.”


“It’s not that,” she sighed at him trying to make her feel better but…what she read…in that book…and the images…


Sid titled his head and could see something was amiss.


“Listen, Kit-…Fey. I am unsure what troubles you and your friend got into…but you’re in my house. Once you leave my territory, then you can worry about whatever it is that is on your mind…but while you’re here…you need to gain your strength back.”


His wise words made her look over at him curiously as he gestured to the soup again. “If you want more, I’ll cook more.”


Shyly, she dipped the spoon into the soup to taste a bit of it. The flavors were beyond anything she had tasted before and she couldn’t help the twitching of her ears as she took more spoonfuls.


“My word…you eat faster than he did,” he chuckled and stood from the table to head back to the oven. “I’ll put another pot on.”


“You don’t have to!” She tried to persuade him otherwise, already feeling terrible for eating his food and wiped the back of her mouth but he already started the fire to his oven.


“I’ll make extra for the road…how far are you two traveling anyway? Have a destination?”


At first, she didn’t think they did. They just needed to run…but now with the map provided for them…

Fey looked over to her satchel and brought it over to retrieve the map.


“…I think…we know.” She unfolded it over his table and as Sid let a bit of meat fry, he came back over to inspect the map with Fey pointing to the very far north.


“That’s my home…we need to get there.”


“Estyuin?”


“Have you heard of it?”


“Of course, it’s just an old tale though…a story,” he bluntly told her and returned to his food while Fey frowned. “It can’t be though…I remember my home.”


“No one has seen it in years though. Some say it’s been destroyed…others say the menders died out…there’s nothing there anymore…”


Silence fell upon the room and Sid curiously looked back to see Fey looking down at the map with a frown that only said his words had pained her. With a soft sigh, he left the oven to come back to her.

“I’m only saying what I heard, kitten. Hey, I thought all menders were dead and gone…yet…here you are. Who is to say that your home isn’t out there with your kin waiting, hmm? Perk up,” he smiled and pointed back down at the map to a large mountain range that was north of Hulei city.


“This is the Northern Pass,” he tapped on a small image she hadn’t noticed before that was on the mountain. It looked like a cable car of some sort.


“You can ride the trolley up and over the mountain to the other side. It’s still some traveling to get there but I know the way like the back of my hand. I told your drunk friend I would take you tomorrow to the Pass but that’s as far as I can go. Past that point is nothing but danger,” he explained and removed his hand from the map to go check on his cooking. Fey smiled softly, gaining a bit of hope that…maybe her home was still out there…and she would find it. Even if not…it was better than living in the city.


“Thank you, Sid,” she smiled over at him and finished her broth before testing out the tea.


“My pleasure. I should charge a fee…but I’ll let it slide this once. First-time customers,” he teased and brought over a sizzling pot to carefully pour in more soup for her. As she waited for it to cool and Sid went to wash up dishes, Fey looked back down at the map to see the town that made her heart feel uneasy.


“Hey…Sid?”


“Hmmm?”


“Do you…know of this town?” She asked and pointed to Drysiohl. The hare came back over while drying his hands, leaning over to inspect it.


“Hmmm…nope. Never heard of it. Why?”


“No reason…” she hid her disappointment and folded the map back up.


“I know of many towns around here, not much past the pass though. On our way to the trolley, we’ve got to stop by Treaish.”


“Treaish?”


Sid gave her a hopeless look and folded his arms over his broad chest. “The city that never sleeps, kitten. Lights galore…best liquor before the mountains…beautiful women…or…men in your case…gambling…it’ll be fun and get you two to relax before you continue. Stock up on supplies.”


“Have you been to this city before?”


Sid huffed and itched behind one of his long ears.


“It’s practically my second home. Many residents know me there.”


“Is it…feral friendly?”


“Why wouldn’t it be?” He shrugged. “You’ll see all kinds of things there. Humans…ferals…Teniuls…Rashkers and much more. It’s a place to mingle.”


Fey just looked confused after hearing more potential creatures could be there and Sid rubbed the bridge of his nose at her ignorance.


“…oh, you haven’t lived, kitten. That does it! You and I are going to enjoy the city life.”


“We’re not leaving Basil.”


“Oh…that’s right…forgot about the cat…” he tapped his chin and thought with a disappointed sigh. “…he’ll just be a third wheel.”


“Sid…” she narrowed her eyes slightly but he laughed lightly.


“I tease, I tease…but the city is holding a tournament of sorts this year. A competition,” he started and sat back down.


“What do you mean?” She had finished her second helping of broth to look over at him.


“Well, the first prize is a large winning of gold coins. Ten thousand to be exact.” Fey’s eyes widened for she was surprised they were giving away so much…just for some…tournament.


“Many competitors enter and fighters are pitted against each other until two are left. The winner takes the gold,” he smiled and leaned back in his chair. “…never done it myself but it’s fun to watch those who are strong crumble in the first rounds.”


“Don’t tell Basil,” she groaned. “If he knew about some big battle, he’d want to participate…he’s always been competitive. Not to mention if there is a prize like that, he’d surely take it.”


“I won’t breathe a word to him,” he grinned and took her empty dishes. “You’ve eaten your fill and we’ll leave early tomorrow. Before the sun rises. I’d advise you get some more shut eye before that happens for it’s going to be a long day.”


“…guess you’re right,” she still had a lot on her mind and needed to think it over. With a sigh, she stood and looked back to the closed door to the room she stayed in.


“Oh, I wouldn’t make you sleep in his room,” Sid chuckled and pointed to a much larger room right beside Basil’s. “Take mine.”


“Y-your room?” Fey looked back to him nervously but he rolled his eyes. “It latches from the inside. What type of hare do you take me for? If I wanted to make a pass at you I’d do it openly like I have. Not sneak into your room.”


She just huffed and the hair of her tail stood on end. “Where will you sleep?”


“I’ve slept in more uncomfortable places. I’ll pull up a blanket on the floor. Now go before I change my mind to offer if I could possibly share my room with you.”


With her cheeks flushed, Fey tucked her ears back against her head with another huff and took her satchel with her to shut his bedroom door behind her. He chuckled at audibly hearing her latching the door.


“My my…this is going to be quite entertaining, little kitten,” he whispered and went to prepare their supplies for the next day.


 

 

“We overslept,” Yhisin sighed as he held his hand over the dying flames to forge water to douse the camp fire.


“It wasn’t wise for both of us to sleep at the same time,” Rial gathered their supplies to tie it to the side of his saddle, looking a bit annoyed that instead of sleeping for only three hours…it was more like five…and the sun was already making its way down toward the ground once more.


“Next time we’ll need to decide who gets rest first. An hour and a half for each.” With the fire out, Yhisin used his tails to sweep away any evidence that they had been there. Rocks were moved to the side and ashes from the logs scattered in the wind. It wasn’t as if anyone was hunting them but it was wise never to leave a trail…prey or hunter. Rial tied one last satchel to the side of his Rashein but noticed something inside was missing.


When he peeked over his shoulder to where he was sleeping earlier, he saw what he had lost.

A book that was worn…but Yhisin walked over to pick it up.


“Reading material for the trip?” He asked innocently and blew off some dust to see what his friend was so interested in…but the title only read…Drysiohl.


“Something along those lines,” Rial replied and relieved his comrade of the book to hide it away in his satchel. Not really wanting pry into his business, Yhisin shrugged and made his way over to his own Rashein when his ears picked up the sound of galloping nearby.


Both Imperials looked up to see a large group of men heading their way…with weapons.


“…bandits…?” Yhisin asked with a lack of interest and stepped away from his steed curiously while Rial’s eyes narrowed a bit when the humans stopped before them to have swords and axes pointed at their faces.


“What are two filthy ferals doing out in these parts?”


“Humble travelers…scholars really,” Yhisin smiled sweetly though behind that smile only meant suffering if he was pushed too far. The human leader snorted and pointed at Rial’s sword.


“Scholars don’t carry weapons…give us all of your supplies and your Rasheins.”


Both the fox and dragon exchanged a look of knowing.


“Should we spoil them?”


“We will waste precious time if so.”


“True true…shall we decide who?”


“What are you two babbling about?!” The human demanded to know and dismounted from his horse.


“There is no need to decide,” Rial stated and slowly unsheathed his sword. “…I dislike being purposely angered.”


“Release that pent-up frustration then,” Yhisin took a step back to lean against a nearby tree. “I won’t even have time for a smoke.”


“I’ve had about enough of you two!” The human male raised his sword high into the air and was about to bring it down onto Rial but the human stopped with blood erupting from his mouth. The sword fell from his clutches as his eyes looked down to see what had happened in fear. The feral’s sharp claws had impaled his throat.


Rial roughly pulled his hand back to swing his large tail at the man to knock him to the side to let him bleed out.


The horses whined and started to grow a bit panicked at the scene but the men did their best to calm them down as one brave…or foolish human rushed forward on his steed to avenge his leader. The dragon slowly turned to face him, his pupils turning into slits as he leaped forward with his powerful legs to avoid the horse and drive his sword deep into the man’s chest. The limp body fell from the saddle as the horse galloped away in fright. Rial landed perfectly while sweeping his sword through the air to rid it of the blood.


The rest of the men looked fearful but raised their weapons as one to charge together. Surely…numbers could easily turn the tide.


With a deep inhale, Rial raised his sword to the sky and the men were forced to a halt when he let out a mighty dragon roar. His sword enveloped itself with shadow.


“R-retreat!” One of the men suggested and tried to turn away but Rial brought his sword down hard, releasing two shadow dragons that raced around each other toward the large group of humans. Unable to escape the attack, screams of agony erupted from the humans as the dragons passed through them. Skin melted off their bones and organs were dissolved into nothing but ashes. All that was left…were bones of the humans and the innocent horses that just so happened to be in the way. The shadow dragons roared as they headed back toward Rial and delved into his sword as he sheathed it with an exhale.


Yhisin blinked in amazement…and a bit of relief that he wasn’t on the opposite side of his comrade.

“…that was new…I saw you use it on that mender…but only one dragon showed…speaking of which…” The fox cautiously approached his friend who still stood facing his doings while breathing deeply.


“…why didn’t your attack do this…to the girl…?” Yhisin looked over at the bones…bits of flesh still hanging onto them…but just barely. He wrinkled his nose at the smell but Rial closed his eyes and turned back toward his Rashein.


“Rial?” His friend called out, following him but watched as the feral mounted his steed and turned it toward the grassy fields to continue their hunt. With a soft frown, Yhisin mounted his own Rashein and took off after his comrade. He knew something was wrong…and Rial was hiding something from him.



© 2017 Jensen Roman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

152 Views
Added on July 26, 2017
Last Updated on July 26, 2017
Tags: journey, adventure, violence, romance

Journey of the Mender


Author

Jensen Roman
Jensen Roman

Buford, GA



About
Hello! I am a 30 yr. old woman who is compassionate for writing, being imaginative and creating my own world. more..

Writing