Chapter 23: The Silver Snake King

Chapter 23: The Silver Snake King

A Chapter by Jensen Roman
"

A mysterious threat easily sends the group into submission with secret intentions.

"

Chapter 23: The Silver Snake King

    

               What was going on with her? Was she…that ill? Surely not…she barely ate anything that day on the second cable car…only desserts. Could it be she hadn’t eaten much at all? Her stomach did rumble but just the mere thought of food wanted to make her vomit. Her tiny claws reached out toward the door to her room and prayed someone would come into her room shortly to help her.


‘…I can’t…even speak…’ She whimpered and gathered together all the strength that she had to push herself to rest on her hands. Her arms shook terribly, wanting to lay back down.


‘…am…I this weak?’ She frowned at the thought…of possibly slowing down their group once again. She was supposed to be cooking for them…but could barely keep her eyes open at this point.


Unable to stay up, Fey laid back down with a weak cough and her ears swiveled when she heard a knock coming from downstairs along with muffled voices. Were her friends…downstairs already…? Were they waiting for her?


‘…I…have to go…’ She gritted her teeth with a whine when she pushed herself back up but the sound of footsteps traveled up the stairs slowly…and dignified? She held the towel to her chest, thinking possibly someone was about to come in at not seeing her downstairs.


Her weary eyes watched the handle to her door turn and it slowly opened with a creak.


Who was standing there…was not one of her friends…or even the farmer…


Her already tired heart sped up with fear to see a tall feral standing in her doorway. His long flowing silver hair reached the floor behind him and then some while a long snake tail curled by his feet. He wore noble looking garments, consisting of a light blue vest with a long white outer coat that spread around at the floor. What drew her the most…were his white eyes…that held a small glow to them, like wisps of air rolling off a snow hill…and they looked down at her…in concern.


Why was he let in here? Unless…did he kill Brias…? Growing even more fearful, Fey sucked in her breath and tried to scoot back to put some distance between them but fell back onto her side weakly with a harsh cough. The feral’s eyes only became more concerned as he gracefully stepped in to shut the door behind him.


Each step he took made him seem almost like a ghost, his gown hiding his feet and almost looked like he was levitating but she felt the tiny vibrations of his body moving across the floor so it wasn’t the case. Her claws were ready to strike at his eyes if he tried anything…that was if she even could.


“…you poor soul…” he whispered, his voice was gentle and soothing which only made her more on edge as he crouched before her to sit on his knees. She managed a small growl out of warning but coughed so hard her entire body shook. “…what has happened to you?” He asked and held up his hand for her to see, his long sleeve falling to his elbow. “…I am not here to harm you, young maiden. You can see my eyes…yes?”


Fey didn’t trust this feral at all but narrowed her eyes slightly to look up at his eyes, seeing the glow getting a tiny bit brighter.


“…you can see if I am lying…now…keep your soul calm…you are already ill and do not need to be in a panic…” He instructed and kept his hand within her line of sight but hovered it over her ribs where her injury was.


How did…he know she was injured there…? Especially since she had a towel on. Forgetting all about her lack of clothing, Fey did her best to try and move but she heard the male above her chuckle.


“I cannot see through fabric…I am more of a gentleman than that to sneak a peek at a lady without proper gowns,” he told her and Fey grew more confused by the second…but…she felt a small warmth flowing through her body. It felt like the sun was bathing her in its glow and numbed the pain in her ribs to make it seem it never even happened. Curiously, she looked back up at him with her eyes trying to ask him who he was. He just offered a kind smile in return.


“Yuuin…as I said…I am not here to harm…but you require proper care…so do not be frightened that I am about to lift you up.”


Lift her up? What was he planning on doing?! Unable to form words, Fey’s ears folded back shyly when he slipped his bulky arm beneath her legs and supported her back with his other before standing to have her cradled against his chest. Her tail curled weakly, feeling a bit insecure that some unknown male was holding her…when all she had on was a towel.


“I will see to it that you have fresh clothing brought to you back at my estate.”


He was taking her away?! Fey looked to the door with a silent plea for her friends to finish their baths already! Yuuin stepped across the floor but spotted her instrument resting in the corner.


“…a uiorl…? You play?” He looked down at her with a spark of interest in his eyes. She really couldn’t manage an answer verbally but he saw within her eyes that it did belong to her. “I will take it with us…if you desire to play,” he smiled and used his tail like a hand to grab hold of the neck of the uiorl before using the same tail skillfully to open the door.


‘Saei! Sid! Basil! Someone stop him!’ She pleaded as they exited and her eyes drifted to the rooms one by one to see them all closed. Yuuin silently took one step at a time to reach the first floor and Fey was in shock to see Brias standing there as best as he could…with his head bowed.


“I am grateful that you allowed me into your home, humble hound. I apologize if I disturbed your evening,” Yuuin said but Brias kept his head down.


“N-not at all, your highness. I was glad to help.”


Highness?! Brias was just going to let this feral take her?!


“If her companions ask where she is…you may tell them where to go if they wish to see her.”


“I w-will let them know.”


Yuuin nodded his head in thanks before turning to the front door to step outside in the night. It was growing darker but the feral holding her only held her closer to keep her warm when the night air tried to assault them. She gritted her teeth and looked back to the house over his arm, moving only slightly to try and escape. Yuuin stopped to look down at her.


“Your friends will come…do not fret…” He started out with a gentle voice but his eyes narrowed slightly. “…especially the drysiohn.”


Her eyes flew back to him, wondering how he knew what Saei was almost instantly…but Yuuin remained quiet as he crossed the small farm toward the outskirts of the woods where it seemed a few people were waiting.


 

 

Should he? He knew he said he would wait until they reached her home…but…the aching in his heart was growing more and more festering by the minute. Saei exhaled softly as he ran the towel over his hair to dry it off and looked at his reflection in the mirror. He had just finished his bath. Water dripped over his tight muscles…and his eyes couldn’t help but look at the scales on his body again. A few patches lined his chest…a few ran down the sides of his ribs…and they were even on his legs. If he held nothing dear to him, he probably wouldn’t even care…but now with his heart throbbing, he started to be concerned with how he was viewed. Sighing, he tore the towel from his hair and horns to let his hair flow down his back.


“Maybe…I can speak with her more…before she cooks…” he whispered his plan aloud and hoped he could catch her before she went downstairs. Slipping out of the bathroom, he placed on some fresh clothing and did his best to look somewhat decent, even if his hair was still slightly wet and sticking up in places.


Saei left his room, closing his door behind him and stepped over to Fey’s room to knock softly on the door.


“Fey?” He asked, wondering if she was still in the bath or not. It had been a bit…so she should be done…


Maybe she was too tired to cook and went straight to sleep?


Knowing it’d be bad if he walked into her room without her permission, Saei still felt the need to check up on her. Gulping down his nerves, he turned the handle and opened the door slightly.


“…Fey?” He called once more but there was no answer. Worried, he opened the door more. Everything seemed…normal…her satchel was still on the bed…


There was a bit of a wet spot on the floor by the window…


Was…she still drying…?


Cautiously, Saei stepped toward the washroom to glance in but paled when he saw her beautiful gown still hanging to be worn…and there was water in the tub…but no sign of Fey. She wasn’t in her room…and…she didn’t dress? Dread started to leak into his heart as he left her room to head to his brother’s and knocked loudly to get his attention.


“I’m coming! Geesh!” The door swung open just as Saei was about to knock again but Basil seemed confused when it was his brother that he saw.


“…what’s the big id-“


“Fey is missing,” he interrupted and Basil’s ears folded back slightly at the news but placed a hand on his hip.


“She said she’d cook for us…have you checked downstairs?”


“Cook without clothing?”


A faint blush came over the feline’s face but he looked up to his brother with a bit of concern.


“…you sure?”


“Positive…”


“I’ll go get Sid. Go check downstairs just in case and ask that old dog if he’s seen her,” Basil sighed under his breath worriedly and stepped around his brother to head to Sid’s room while Saei took the stairs two steps at time. The old farmer was seated on his chair…with the front door wide open.


“Have you seen Fey?” Saei asked with a bit of a demanding tone, his tail tense behind him. The old hound sighed and looked to the open door to see the night growing darker.


“…King Yuuin came for her.”


‘Who?!” The dragon snarled, taking a step forward and frightened the poor farmer.


“T-the Silver Snake King…h-he asked if there was a young lady here and he demanded I allow him entry. I had n-no choice in the matter,” he stuttered with his old hands held up to try and calm down Saei but the dragon growled louder.


“Where is he?!” He yelled and heard footsteps behind him, belonging to Basil and Sid.


“What is going on?” Sid came closer, noticing the front door but Saei took a step back and looked ready to kill someone.


“This mutt allowed Fey to be taken!” Saei bit out with venom, his claws digging into his palm a bit but Sid and Basil looked to Brias with raised eyebrows.


“…is that true?” Basil asked.


“K-King Yuuin only asked for the girl. Don’t ask me why but he rules these lands! H-How can I tell him no?”


“Where is he taking her?” Sid folded his arms, growing impatient but Brias pointed to the door.


“T-to his estate in the woods. Head east from my farm and y-you’ll come across it.”


Not needing anymore information, Saei gritted his teeth as he quickly rushed upstairs to grab his sword and returned within mere seconds before storming out the front door. He remembered that feral on the cable car warning him about some…snake…but he never thought he’d have to run into him. If anything, Saei planned on going around his forest…so…why was he here…?


Sid and Basil followed him out of the house.


“We’ll find her,” Sid told him, looking frustrated himself that some random feral just barged in and started doing what they willed…king or not.


“We’re going to make that b*****d pay,” Basil growled out, feeling his palms heating up with fire.


“Do you think he found out Fey was a mender?” Sid asked worriedly, following Saei who started to hurry through the fences.


“How would he? We never spoke of her being one…and she’s been good not to use her powers. The only time she had was on the cable car with Saei…” Basil explained, running after his brother now who had picked up his pace. “Even then…no one saw.”


“What would he want with her then?” Sid kept up with their running pace, growing more concerned by the second.


What was this feral planning on doing with Fey? What had he already done to her? Saei’s eyes narrowed with his jaw tightening as he pushed his legs harder, ignoring the pain in his knee.


“What’s that?!” Basil pointed ahead toward the tree line and his comrades spotted what seemed to be a small group that had gathered. Most of them sat on bulky beasts…but Saei’s eyes widened greatly when he spotted a tall male…holding Fey who looked limp in his arms…and seemed to be talking to a female nearby.


“Fey!” Sid exclaimed, his lean legs making him run a bit further ahead of his companions but Saei felt more anger than both of them combined. Something stirred within him to see some other male actually…holding her. He drew his sword from its hilt and parted his lips to release a loud roar of warning of their approach.


Yuuin slowly turned his head to see the three ferals that was speeding to him and he softly smiled with confidence before turning to one of his female soldiers who sat atop her steed.


“Care for her for a moment,” he ordered, gently lifting Fey up to be held by the female and placed the uiorl in a satchel on the saddle of the beast for now.


“Yes, your highness.”


Fey tried to move but the female took a large fur blanket to wrap it around her to keep her warm but the mender looked up with worry to see her friends coming to a stop as Yuuin walked forward slowly.

“Give us back Fey!” Basil yelled, already assuming an attack stance with his fists lighting up with bright red flames.


“…so, Fey is her name? I appreciate you informing me…but unfortunately…I have no intention on handing her over to you,” he calmly informed them and Sid glared while taking a step forward.


“And why the hell not?”


Yuuin stared at them while keeping quiet, the soft night breeze blowing his long hair to the side as well as his dignified clothing. His glowing eyes pierced the darkness before he turned to the side as if growing bored.


“Within your care…she will die,” he bluntly told them but Saei raised his lips in a snarl and charged forward with his sword cutting across the grass.


“Your highness!” His soldiers cried out behind him in worry but Yuuin slowly turned to face Saei and reached to the side of his belt to bring out a sword of his own, easily blocking the attack as if Saei was moving through water. Saei glared at him, using all of his strength to try and gain the upper hand but Yuuin pushed the dragon away from his person and pointed his sword down to his side.


“…the truth is a hurtful thing…isn’t it…?”


“You think we won’t keep her safe? That’s a pitiful excuse for kidnapping her,” Basil growled and rushed forward past his brother to leap into the air, ready to bring down his fists onto the king’s silver head but Yuuin raised his sword again. This time, he erected a glowing barrier that sparked when it came into contact with the fire and knocked back Basil who skidded to a halt on his hands and feet.


“…this feral isn’t normal…” Sid stepped forward, helping Basil up while Saei also stood.


“Engaging with me is futile…I would suggest you forget all about the young maiden and return to your homes,” he turned slowly to begin returning to his soldiers but stopped when he heard a low growl. Yuuin glanced behind him to see Saei’s eyes turning into slits and shadows leaking from the corners of his mouth.


“…so…you are that selfish?” Yuuin ran the tip of his sword along the grass to face Saei. Basil took up a place beside him but noticed his brother…didn’t look right. Within his eyes…they were darkening…as if he was losing sense of his surroundings.


“…brother?” He worriedly asked but Saei’s fangs only tightened when Yuuin raised his head high.


“…come on then, beast…” He taunted. From behind the king, Fey could only watch but her ears folded back when Saei charged forward with blinding speed that scared even the beasts they sat upon but Yuuin didn’t move. His eyes narrowed and raised his sword to meet with Saei’s. Shadows licked off his body as he growled at the snake, his clawed feet digging into the grass to get a good footing but Yuuin pushed against his sword with his own strength.


“…you want my blood that badly…?” The king asked in a whisper and Saei’s lips parted in a deeper growl. “…nothing but a mongrel…” Yuuin raised his free hand to send the dragon skidding back with a burst of light but Saei knocked the attack away with his sword.


Fey gripped the front of her towel tighter, growing fearful for her friend. This was just like last time…when he fought Bylues. He fought so hard that he forced himself into exhaustion with so many wounds.

Sid took a step back, watching the tension growing and had to cover his ears when Saei reared his head back with a yell crossed with a roar that sounded bizarre. Even Fey felt chills running up her spine and paled to see Saei charging once more at Yuuin.


“…you lost yourself,” he muttered and raised his sword to also charge forward to meet the dragon head on, their swords clashing. The grass beneath Saei’s feet withered due to the shadow he breathed out that acted more like a poisonous smog and his glare only hardened.


“…I will not allow you to harm her,” Yuuin hissed and pushed back Saei only to bring his sword down across his shoulder.


Fey’s eyes widened in horror to see Saei staggering back only for a second with his blood falling over his fresh clothing but he roared again angrily and rushed forward to only continue to clash.


“Damnit! How dare you hurt my brother!” Basil narrowed his eyes and kicked off the ground to try and help but Yuuin spotted the feline’s movements from the corner of his eye.


“Such a nuisance.” Yuuin raised his hand to shoot forth holy energy but Basil dodged to the side and tried to uppercut the king. Unfortunately, Yuuin leapt back away from both of the ferals, dodging the attack.


“S-sire do you need help?” One of his soldiers asked worriedly but Yuuin pushed his hair back.


“…not needed. I will end this quickly,” he warned and stepped back onto the battle field.


Was he going to kill them? Fey gritted her teeth, still weak from her ailment but fought against the woman’s hold that kept her safe.


“M-miss, what are you doing?” Fey didn’t answer and managed to push off the mount to land on her weak legs, the blanket falling around her like a cape. Her legs wanted to give out so badly but the need to save her friends was far more important than feeling like death was close.


“This isn’t how I wanted to spend my night,” Sid sighed and came up beside Basil to assume a stance as well but Basil huffed.


“You had your bath, didn’t you?”


“Yeah…but now I’m only going to dirty again…”


“Truly a crisis. However will you live?”


Yuuin narrowed his eyes at their small banter and pointed his sword at them.


“This is my final warning…leave the maiden in my care…and leave with your pride intact…”


“Not a chance,” Sid smirked and rushed forward with Basil at his side. The hare leapt high into the air while Basil came up from below with fire erupting from his body.


“Got you now!” The feline announced, bringing his fist up to only lightly knick the king’s robes and Sid nearly did his head in if the snake didn’t move in time. The attack left a nasty hole in the ground but they didn’t let up. Saei growled and charged forward as well to add more onto their side but Yuuin’s eyes slowly glowed to a brilliant white.


“ENOUGH!” He yelled, a white glow emitted from his body to engulf the three ferals and Fey audibly gasped in fear that this stranger had killed them but when the light evaporated…it was not a sight she wanted to see.


Her friends…were laying on the grass and severely wounded…just from one small attack.


Basil panted heavily with his eyes clenched shut and holding his stomach. His chest was openly bleeding and his hands were bruised and bloody.


Sid tried to push himself up but it was clear his ankle was broken and wounds tore at his upper clothing.

Saei held himself up with his sword in a kneeling position, panting heavily with blood dripping from his fangs and scales on his tail had been torn off.


Yuuin slowly placed his sword away with the wind blowing to announce him as the victor.


“…now you lost your pride…this is why she will die with you…” He informed him, taking a step forward but Saei raised his head weakly to growl at him. “…you are lucky I do not wish for her to see death…or else I’d have your head…” He hissed and turned to leave but stopped again when he heard rustling. Yuuin inspected what was going on…to see Saei rising to his feet with his sword pointed at him and barely standing.


“…you are foolish…” he whispered and raised his hand to face his palm at Saei’s face. “…I’ve had enough of you…” As his palm started to glow, ready for another attack, Yuuin felt a soft breeze rush past him and his glow stopped to see Fey coming to stand before Saei, looking up at the serpent with pleading eyes.


It was clear she was pushing herself just to stand…and her color was draining. Any moment now she could pass out from exhaustion…but yet…she still protected this feral…


Saei growled behind her tiredly but fell onto his knees to let his sword drop with a clang.


If this king planned on killing her friends, she would do whatever it took to stop him.


Yuuin looked down at her with his bright eyes for a silent moment before sighing heavily through his nose and lowered his hand.


“…you truly are remarkable…my hand will stay…for now…” Yuuin told her but looked back to his soldiers. “Get them on the back of a saddle. Tie their hands. They will be caged for the time being until I see fit.”


The soldiers started to come forward on their beasts, dismounting and tied up Sid first who only groaned at being unable to fight back while Yuuin looked back down to her. She was afraid…but kept her head high.


“…I will see to you later…Fey…” He whispered and turned his back to her as the woman from earlier came up to her. She didn’t even dare tie her up, knowing fully well her king wanted the mender to be comfortable but Fey couldn’t keep herself awake any longer. Her vision blurred…and the last thing she saw was Yuuin climbing onto the back of his own steed…with his white eyes piercing the night.



© 2017 Jensen Roman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Holy Smokes!!!! Things are getting intense! Keep this up!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
1 Review
Added on August 13, 2017
Last Updated on August 13, 2017
Tags: journey, adventure, romance, violence

Journey of the Mender


Author

Jensen Roman
Jensen Roman

Buford, GA



About
Hello! I am a 30 yr. old woman who is compassionate for writing, being imaginative and creating my own world. more..

Writing