Chapter 30: Return to Reality

Chapter 30: Return to Reality

A Chapter by Jensen Roman
"

With Fey awake and gaining strength, the worries increase of Saei's unknown predicament.

"

Chapter 30: Return to Reality

 

“This…is…the…most…boring…book…ever!” Sid groaned and slammed the book shut, leaning back in his chair looking completely bored. “Don’t you have anything…I don’t know…exciting?” He asked and glanced over at Yuuin who was replacing the dry towel on Fey’s forehead, soaking it in a small water basin by her bedside.


“What you see on the shelves is all I have. You’ll have to make due,” the serpent replied, wringing out the excess water and placed it back across her forehead, tucking her hair away.


“Maybe I should write my own work,” Sid stood to put the large book back, skimming his hand along the spines of others but nothing grabbed his interest.


“You could document your life,” Yuuin suggested, taking a seat by Fey’s bedside.


“Eh, it’d be boring. Nothing exciting has happened,” he sighed and left the books alone to come back to check on Fey. She seemed to be getting better by the minute. Her breathing had slowed as if asleep and a bit of color was returning to her cheeks.


“How did you come to know her?” The king asked curiously.


“Fey? Bit of an odd tale,” Sid chuckled and plopped back down in his chair. “Her and the cat were on my lands and I caught him in one of my traps.”


“A trap?”


“I may be a hare but I can’t live on just carrots like you’d think. So, being the nice feral that I am, I let them into my home since Fey was a bit ill at the time.”


“She had been sick before…” Yuuin stated, not even phrasing it as a question as he glanced back down at her.


“Yeah but she always bounces back so that’s why I know she’ll wake up,” Sid smiled handsomely. “But since then, I was a guide for them. I took them to Treaish and to the pass. I WAS supposed to leave then…but…it was a bit hard to part.”


With his tail flicking at his side, Yuuin turned his gaze over onto the hare with a suspicious look.


“Do you like her?”


“Like her? As in like like? No,” he chuckled and crossed one leg over the other. “She’s just fun to fluster. I enjoy her as a friend but even if she came crawling to me with an everlasting confession of love, I’d have to turn her down.”


“Not a female type?”


“More like not the love type. Love is too complicated…too brittle. Love makes you act stupid. That’s how I see it and I’d like to stay sane,” he shrugged. Yuuin huffed softly at his words and folded his arms over his robe to look out the window. It was still night…and an hour had passed since the two left to seek out the flower. The king was unsure if they would be successful or not but with a sigh, he stood.


“It seems we will be up for quite some time. Would you like a strong drink?”


“Eh, not sure I can handle alcohol at this hour. Give me something juicy but strong to slap me awake.”


“A simple please or thank you would be nice. I am still the king of this palace,” Yuuin chastised, moving past the bed to send the hare a look.


“Please and thank you. Better?” Sid teased but Yuuin rolled his eyes and left the room. It seemed her small group was making him look more like some commoner than a ruler but for now, he would set it aside.


After watching him leave, Sid sighed at getting time to be alone and glanced down at Fey with a frown.


“You know I was just looking tough, right?” He asked her but of course, there was no response. “You’re too adorable for your own good. How about a story? I’ll make one up since I’m sure they’re better than the snore fest the king has,” he chuckled and leaned back to look up at the ceiling.


“A long, long time ago, in the harshest summer that had ever been recorded was a lonely hare. He hopped about, looking for any vegetation but due to the weather, there was none sadly. Anything that was growing beneath the soil had turned into dust and the trees produced no fruit. Those were harsh times. No water…no food…no shelter…the hare nearly starved to death. He was so weak, he fell unconscious in the middle of the dying forest where he thought no one would find him,” Sid frowned a bit at his tale but continued.


“Just when he thought he was going to meet death, a bucket of water was splashed onto his face, waking him up. When the stupid hare opened his eyes, he saw another hare holding an empty bucket and telling him how stupid he was to be out here all by himself. Now, mind you, this was a girl hare so you can imagine how ditzy he was. She told him there was a small village he could stay at nearby. They had stocked up thankfully and had plenty to spare. Not wanting to die, the hare followed her to the village.” His frown slowly started to turn into a smile.


“You had to see this village to believe it. Water wheels everywhere with multiple rivers joining together to cut through it. Beautiful houses were built that made it feel…homey? Gosh, it was the perfect place to live. Bunch of farms and crops that were still living even in the harshness. The hare couldn’t believe his eyes. The girl hare said he could stay if only he helped. So, after filling his belly, the hare went to work…plowing the fields…gathering crops…all the things that needed to be done. He formed quite the body too,” he chuckled and flexed his muscles under his robe that he had put back on to fight off the night air.


“To pay for his stay, the hare worked his tail off and lived at the village through the summer…fall…winter, if you could even call it that, and into spring. He got comfortable there. He often saw the girl hare about, hopping along without a care in the world…and being the idiot that he was, he tried to ask her to dine with him. Do you know what she did? Turned him down flat!” He smiled fondly and stretched his arms above his head to crack the bones.


“He didn’t give up though! Every day after that, around the same time, he’d ask her to dine with him. He was stubborn and she kept saying no. An entire month passed and each day he asked. She grew tired of him so she finally said yes. You have no idea how happy the hare was so he took her to the nicest eatery. He enjoyed having her around…and he really started to like her but more than just your normal like. So, after eating with him a few time, the hare gathered the courage…bought a few flowers…and was going to go ask her if he could court,” Sid’s enthusiastic tone started to turn a bit sour as he sighed deeply and looked down at his hands in his lap.


“…but…when he rounded the corner to where she lived…he found the hare with another male. He was a bit taller…more built…so…maybe she desired looks? Who knows…it crushed the hare though. He tossed away the flowers and left the village to go forge his own home. He gave up on forging relationships. Even if it was only one…it still left behind a bitter hole. So, the lonely hare made his home all nice and cozy…all to himself…and the most bizarre thing happened that you wouldn’t be able to guess.” His frown slowly turned back into a smile that was sweet and tender.


“One day a knock came to his door…and sitting there…was a sick kitten, the cutest thing ever. He wanted to turn her away at first but with how generous he was, he took her in, fed her and she made him smile again. She told him she was on a journey to find the biggest ball of yarn. It may not be out there…but she would find it. The hare promised her he’d help out the best that he could…and the tale ends there but some say he’s still traveling…helping that kitten find the yarn,” he finished and looked up at the ceiling but his ears swiveled a bit when he heard the blankets move nearby.


“…so…the hare was…in love?”


Sid turned his eyes onto Fey to see her eyes slightly open and smiling softly at him. She looked tired with her hair all in a mess but her ears were pointing at him to listen. A soft blush came over his cheeks.

“…how long were you listening for, you sneaky thing?”


“…the beginning…I was…listening…”


The hare sighed in embarrassment and rubbed his face as he stood to remove the towel from her forehead.


“Someone was faking being ill just to get a rise out of me,” he teased and Fey smiled wider at finally being awake once more.


“I’m…sorry. I didn’t…mean to…scare anyone.”


“Well, you did! And you’re going to pay for it dearly!” He ruffled her hair a bit to get some of the water out. “I get to tease you for an entire day without you harming me.”


“I…don’t think I could…handle that,” she giggled the best that she could.


“You don’t have a choice, sweetheart. Plus, you’re not really in the best place to be throwing punches at me so you’re at my mercy,” he smiled and brought the chair closer. “Serious note, how are you feeling?”


“Sleepy…for the most part…”


“Why did you wake up then?”


“I wanted…to make sure…everyone was all right,” she said softly and Sid seemed to grow more flustered as he took his seat once more.


“Stop worrying about everyone and help yourself get better…but glad to see you awake,” he told her.


“Thanks, Sid…but…you never answered…my question…”


“About what?”


“…the hare was in love…wasn’t he?”


Sid’s ear drooped a bit as he huffed and stretched out his legs.


“It was just a stupid tale I made up so why does it matter?”


“Because…no matter…what the hare thinks of himself…I think he was sweet…and I’m glad…he’s with me,” she smiled knowingly but Sid looked away, the blush growing worse by now.


“Y-you’re looking too far into it. It was nothing.”


“Sid…don’t change who you are…and…don’t give up either…” She whispered and Sid groaned lightly while standing once more to point an accusing finger at her.


“Stop being so cute or else…for once in history, the hare will be the hunter.”


Fey couldn’t help but enjoy the teasing for she knew she was back. When it all happened, she was sleeping soundly but she had started to feel her throat closing. It woke her…and she was tempted to wake up one of her friends to help her but she thought maybe it would pass. That’s when she stumbled to the washroom and wanted to splash water on her face but she couldn’t catch her breath. The last image she remembered seeing…was Saei and Basil…looking so scared.


Speaking of which…


Her eyes left Sid for a moment to look around the room…and saw no one else. She wanted to ask where they were but the door opening stopped her lips from parting and Yuuin stepped inside with two cups emitting hot steams.


“She’s awake,” Sid announced, pointing down at her and the king’s eyes widened as he quickly rushed over without spilling the drinks to check up on her.


“Fey? How do you feel?”


“I’m okay…just groggy…I’m sorry for worrying you,” she smiled apologetically but Yuuin just smiled with a soft sigh, handing Sid his drink.


“No need to apologize. You have returned to us so I am grateful. Are you hungry? Thirsty?”


“I’d…like to sit up. My muscles feel all mushy.”


Yuuin placed his drink down to the side and carefully tucked his arms around her to prop her up against the headboard.


“That’s better…thank you…” Her tail had started to sway slightly and she did her best to stretch out her legs.


“Can I prepare anything for you? I know it is late…but you need your strength,” Yuuin offered but Fey shook her head.


“I couldn’t ask you to do th-“ Her stomach roared to life, interrupting her and begging the king for a meal. Sid was in mid-sip when he heard and saw Fey blushing darkly. He chuckled deeply with a hand on his hip.


“Feed her quickly before she kills us all.”


“Sid!” Fey pouted a bit but the serpent smiled.


“I’ll go inform the cooks to prepare the best meal yet for you. Try and rest up a bit more in the meantime.”


“W-wait…where are Saei and Basil…?” She asked with a frown of worry but Sid took a small sip, seemingly not concerned.


“They went to go get something for ya.”


“A flower known as an altheia might be able to make you feel even better. Your companions went to retrieve some for you,” Yuuin explained better but it seemed Fey still wasn’t satisfied.


“…do you know…when they’ll be back?”


“We are uncertain. They left around an hour ago…but if you start to worry, it won’t help you rest. They would want your mind to be clear. Allow them to handle that while you concern over yourself.”


“…I guess…” Fey lowered her eyes and managed to pull the blankets up to her navel to keep warm while Yuuin turned to leave to begin preparing her food but just as he opened the door, a guard cut him off in a frantic state.


“Y-your highness…” he panted heavily but Yuuin just raised an eyebrow.


“What concerns you?”


“A rider approaches from the north side.”


Rider? Fey’s ears perked, thinking maybe Basil and Saei heard her plea and instantly came back for her but Sid looked over to the guard oddly.


‘…rider? Not plural?’ He asked mentally but maybe one was straggling behind, probably Basil. Yuuin made a quick glance back at Fey before giving his guard his attention once more.


“Prepare for them and inform me when you know who it is. I will be with my chefs for a few moments.”


“Yes, sir,” the guard bowed his head and quickly left to give the orders while Yuuin turned back to them.


“I will go see who it is before informing you. Hare, make sure she’s comfortable.”


“It’s Sid but sure,” he shrugged and took a seat to sip more of his drink, noticing the king had left his who quickly left the room with the door shutting behind him to go see if it was possibly her friends returning with the flower.


“Some night, huh?” Sid asked and noticed Fey looked…a bit concerned still. “Hey, none of that. Here,” he held out his drink for her. “Where’s that beautiful smile?”


“M-must you tease me so much,” she whispered with her cheeks gaining back more color as she took the drink from him, sniffing it curiously.


“…wasn’t teasing that time, kitten. You need to learn when I’m serious and when I’m pulling your tail,” he chuckled and watched as she huffed and took a small sip, her ears twitching at the taste but she stuck her tongue out with a groan of distaste.


“It’s strong…” she whined and handed it back to him as he took a longer sip.


“Of course! It punches you awake. Seems we’re going to be up for at least another hour or so…best to get some energy.”


“…is it…wrong that I wish we could get back to traveling?” She frowned, glancing over at him but Sid tilted his head handsomely.


“No, this is your journey afterall. It’s for you. If anything, that makes you our leader!”


“L-leader? Oh, I couldn’t,” she blushed softly and started to move her legs a bit, bringing her knees up to her chest.


“Where you go, we will follow,” he winked. “To be honest, it’s fun. We’re going to see new sights…towns…”


“…but when we reach the snowfields…it’ll be bland…”


“Eh, we’ll make it fun…or…correction…I’LL make it fun. You’re so lucky I decided to come back and join you at the pass. You’d be lonely without me, wouldn’t you?”


“Oh, for sure,” she rolled her eyes with a giggle.


“You mocking me?” He smirked and reached out to grip one of her ears.


“H-h-h-hey!” She laughed lightly at the ticklish feeling that seemed to only come from Basil and Sid but he released his hold on her.


“Mind your tongue or else,” he patted her head before finishing up his drink and eyed the king’s cautiously. Before he even had a chance to decide whether to steal it or not, the door swung open again to reveal the serpent himself with a tray filled with a freshly cooked meal. It was small, not wanting to overload her with food with her still recovering but there were slices of plump fruit and a few strips of meat along with a cup of water.


“You are looking better by the second,” Yuuin praised with a tender smile and placed the tray across her lap.


“Thank you. I wouldn’t be if I didn’t have such liveliness around,” she smiled and turned to her food. “Do you know who the rider is yet?” She asked curiously and a bit anxiously, taking up a slice of the fruit to nibble on it.


“Yes…your feline companion has returned.”


Both Sid and Fey looked up in amazement.


“Basil? Is he alright?” Fey inquired, beating Sid to the questions.


“Yes. My guards will be bringing him here shortly once they managed to clean him up a bit. I wouldn’t wish him to bring muck into my home and especially around you.”


“The flower?” Sid joined in.


“He managed to retrieve it which astonishes me. For a flora being so rare, he certainly had no trouble. My servant is currently crushing the petals to make you a drink that should help sooth you more.”


“…and Saei?” Fey frowned since no one had even spoken of her friend but at bringing him up, she saw Yuuin’s eyes become distant.


“…I have not heard word yet on the drysiohn.”


Did…Saei not come back? Was he falling behind? Did something happen along the way? If so, why did Basil return on his own? Surely, he wouldn’t just leave Saei…unless he told him to go on to deliver the flower? If that was the case…was Saei injured? She needed to know. Though she was still feeling a bit exhausted and famished, Fey attempted to lift the tray off her lap…but struggled to even do that.


“…what are you trying to do?” Sid asked.


“I need…to go find Saei.”


“Not in your condition,” Yuuin ordered and crossed his arms. “Your health is far more important.”


The mender just frowned, feeling helpless and confined but the hare placed a comforting hand on her shoulder to raise her spirit.


“Hey, he’ll come back. It is night…so maybe he made a wrong turn on something.”


“…I would just feel better…if I knew…” She told him with worried eyes.


“I know…but I doubt he’d want you to worry like this,” he responded with a tender grin.


“…yeah…guess so.” For now, she would have to just trust that he would find his way back somehow as she took a small piece of meat this time only to see a guard coming to stand in their doorway. He bowed lowly when Yuuin turned to see him.


“What is it?”


“I brought the feline with me, your highness…”


“Basil?!” Fey’s ears perked up and at hearing his name, her friend poked his head in with his eyes reflecting tiredness…as well as something else that remained hidden.


“Hiya,” he greeted with the guard stepping to the side to allow him entry.


“You made it back. Thought you’d be dead,” Sid teased as Basil walked over to a smiling Fey and hugged her tightly, being careful not to crush her or ruin her food but it sure did feel wonderful to have her nuzzling into his arm at seeing him back.


“Can’t get rid of me so easily…”


“Aww and here I thought I’d have Fey all to myself.”


Fey pulled slightly back from Basil’s embrace to glare over at the hare who smiled innocently but she gave the feline her attention once more.


“Are you okay? How was it? You’re not hurt, right?” She asked and Basil chuckled while patting her head.


“Look at you…worrying for me when you’re the one who isn’t feeling well. I’m glad you’re awake and a bit better. Sid hasn’t been bothering you, has he?”


“Not by much…I think I’m growing a tolerance,” she teased and Sid snorted while taking a seat.


“So, tell us how it was.”


“…well…the swamp was disgusting…it stunk…” At the memory, he shook his head with a shiver. “…I had mud all over me but I washed the best that I could. Probably going to soak though once I make sure Fey is well enough.”


“Where is Saei? Didn’t he go with you?” Fey brought up the question again that had been racing around in her heart for a bit now but Basil looked down at her, his eyes growing distant…which wasn’t normal for him.


“…Fey…listen…” He began and took a seat beside her on the bed but she felt even more worry rising since he wasn’t just coming right out and telling her.


“Basil, where is Saei?” She asked again but Basil sighed and shook his head. He looked back to Sid and Yuuin.


“…can…we have a moment?”


Sid watched the feline for a moment, feeling a bit anxious himself but obeyed and left the room. Yuuin remained, not sure what was going on but obliged and followed the hare to shut the door behind him.

Once he felt they were truly alone, Basil turned back to her.


“…I need to talk with you…”


By the sound of it, the news wasn’t going to be a good one. It was a shame that she couldn’t finish her meal for her stomach still rumbled but Basil softly smiled, gesturing to her tray.


“Keep eating…you need to keep your strength up.”


“Not sure if I can…I feel anxious…”


“Of course, you can.” He reached down to pluck one of the strips of meat from the tray, holding it between his claws to hold it out for her. “I’ll just have to feed you.”


“I c-can feed myself,” she replied nervously but it seemed Basil wasn’t going to relent.


“I told you once before…I was going to take care of you…and I mean to,” he spoke softly and his fiery eyes started to turn tender.


“…but you still haven’t told me about Saei.” She tried to change the subject back onto the matter at hand and off herself but she shyly removed the meat from her his claws with her own. There was no way she was going to eat from his hand.


At first, Basil remained quiet as she swallowed her food as if thinking of the best way to bring it up.

“…Saei told me his secret.”


Fey’s eyes widened as she looked at him in disbelief.


“Y-you mean…?”


“…yeah…he told me about what he is…and what he can do,” Basil sighed and looked away towards the window. “…I wanted my brother back. We were talking on the way there…and…the words he said…made me choke. I’d always be his little brother. I felt myself…regaining the life I lost. I had my brother…and you…but that moment was shattered when he…confessed.” From where she sat, Fey could see a look of lost within Basil’s eyes…like a chunk of him had been torn out.


“…I was so mad…that he’d hide it from me…everyone did…” His eyes lowered with a frown. “…when did he tell you?”


“When we were on the cable car…before that fight broke out,” she admitted shamefully, drawing Basil’s attention to her.


“Why didn’t you tell me?”


“At the time…I was still getting used to it myself,” she frowned and looked down at her hands. “But the more I thought on it…and the more I saw…I realized that Saei is still Saei. It doesn’t matter who or what he is…he’s still him,” she smiled with hope up at Basil. “I didn’t tell anyone for it’s his decision on when or who he wants to tell. I’d be in the wrong if I went and blabbed it to everyone.”


“But…I’m his brother…why would he hide it…?” Basil asked and his tone seemed a bit cracked.


“Because he didn’t want you to get hurt…you think you two are so different…but you’re alike more than you know. He’s as sensitive as you are, if not a bit more. He’s just as stubborn…and strong-willed…tell me…when he told you…what went through your mind…?”


“…I was…angry…shocked…I felt…betrayed….” He frowned with his tail coming to curl up over his lap. “…for right before that…Saei protected me. There was this massive worm thing…and Saei saved me. He was so…amazing when he fought. I was envious…and proud. This was…my big brother…but…”

Fey reached out with her hand to gently touch his knee, raising his eyes back onto her that still reflected pain.


“Just because he told you about who he was…doesn’t change anything. I came to terms with it. At first…I thought…well this can’t be Saei anymore. The boy…or adult I knew was just gone completely from the world…but…when you look into his eyes…you know it’s him,” she smiled softly. “…it’d be the same if I never told you I was a mender…and then the next day I tell you. I’m still Fey…right?”


“…but…a mender is different than what he said he was…he said he can hurt you…”


“Has he?” She challenged with a tilt of her head. “…if he seriously wished to…he could. If these urges were so strong…he would…even if so…I’d rather go through my journey with everyone…together…without fear and enjoying the time we have instead of worrying about this and that. If you are afraid all of your life, you’ll never move forward…or so I’ve told myself. Even this journey is dangerous…does that mean I should stop…? Living in Hulei was dangerous…but yet we lived there…without a choice, yes but anywhere in life…there will be dangers. What you need to do…is learn from them.”


Basil thought over her words, looking down at the hand on his knee and felt more of a weight on his heart as he gently grasped her hand in his to make more color come to her cheeks.


“So…where is Saei…?” She asked again, trying to hide her own worries within her heart but when Basil looked into her eyes while clutching her hand, he didn’t need to answer.


She saw it…


 

 

 

The blistering snow…never-ending winds…a storm that would rage on for weeks without any sign of stopping. He was here…once before…caught in the blizzard. His skin formed bumps as the cold raked at his skin, wanting to tear off his flesh and it already knew his weaknesses from the last time he did battle with the storm. Saei shielded his eyes as round after round of harsh winds blasted into him, specifically aiming for his knee.


Last time, he managed to hold his own for some time…but now…it took little effort to make his mighty form falter into the snow bank. The dragon gritted his teeth out of anger and raised his head to see past the specks of snow…to see a man forming.


“…not you…” he growled out angrily. The silhouette alone was recognizable with the long flowing hair, kilt and the dancing thread around his body. The spirit took another step forward with a tilt of his head as the winds died down to be manageable.


“You could continue suffering…would you rather have that…?” The moon spirit asked, looking down at Saei with his beautiful white eyes that were vacant of anything. “Especially after I heard your prayer.”


“Prayer…?” Saei questioned, narrowing his eyes slightly and pushed himself to stand on his good leg but within his eyes, it showed he was in pain at having to move his broken one. Luenin glanced at his leg for only a split second before clasping his hands before him with the cloth making its rounds along his arms.


“Allow the mender to become well again…that was you wish…or was I wrong?” The spirit looked over at him but Saei felt judged.


“It was…but why are you here? Why now…?”


Luenin softly smiled at him and faced him fully.


“I am perplexed…by your actions.”


“…what do you mean?”


“When we met prior…I showed you…what YOU are, what you are capable of, your parents, your life. At first…I thought your heart would be too brittle to carry such burdens…as well as what you felt. You would distance yourself…and become the beast that you saw…” Luenin deeply exhaled and started to slowly step through the snow in a circle around him.


“…but you confuse even me. You went against what you saw…who you are…and held onto what you knew. If a murderer was shown he was a murderer, more than likely, his entire life would crumble.”


“You wished for me to fail? Is that it?”


“No,” Luenin stopped at his side, glancing at him with unreadable eyes. “But I expected you to end up like the rest…mindless. You even went as far…as actually tasting mender blood,” the spirit came to a halt before him, seeming lost but amused. “Must had been hard on you. The young mender is so spirited, she doesn’t even know it” he spoke fondly which earned him a growl that seemed unintentional but it was ignored.


“Your leg is broken now…” He bluntly stated, looking over to Saei who seemed to be growing tense. “…your own kin…how do you feel?”


“I do not need to be reminded,” he growled out and grew tired of the silly mind games the spirit was playing with him. Wanting to rid himself of him, Saei turned and wanted to move…but…how could he…?”


“…you may walk away…go on…” Luenin folded his arms, waiting for Saei to move but the dragon curled his tail into the snow as he kept his broken leg off the ground. “…can’t…can you?”


“What is it you want?” Saei’s silver eyes pierced the cold winds to look back at the spirit who shrugged and came to stand beside him.


“To understand…” He answered.


“You’re a spirit…what do you need to understand…?”


Slowly, Luenin stood before him once more to block his path as the winds died completely to only leave them standing in the snow with no storm present. The moon spirit looked straight into Saei’s eyes with all seriousness.


“In the past…drysiohns could have the heart like any normal being to care for someone else…but not a single one…had their heart set on a mender. I’ve seen only enough to count on one hand…all ending in death. The first taste they had…ended in bloodshed. I heard my sun weep…all because of my doing…and yet here you are…standing before me…with the mender’s blood now on your tongue…and she remains alive.”


Saei remained quiet, watching Luenin closely as he raised his eyes up toward the sky in thought.

“…the sun…to me…she is everything…I have never known a more powerful force than one that controls your mind…your way of living…” Luenin turned his eyes back onto Saei. “…yours…makes you go against who you are…the gift I have bestowed upon you…it transcends that.”


With his eyes narrowing slightly, Saei looked away from the spirit and out toward the fields.


“…what are you implying…?”


“The journey this mender is taking…would or possibly still can kill her,” Luenin told him, drawing his attention once more. “…alone…certainly…with the feline…more than likely…even with the hare…but she has something behind her that only a sun can have that will probably make it a success,” the spirit smiled, earning an even more confused look from Saei.


“Oh, do not give me that look of not knowing,” Luenin chuckled with the wind picking up once more. “You very well know…” The snow started to pick up once more, blurring the spirit’s image from his view but Saei gritted his teeth when he could barely see anymore.


“What do you want from me?!” He roared out into the snow but Luenin had completely vanished. The wind blew his hair around him and he had to guard himself from the mighty blows.


“Always follow your sun,” Luenin’s voice whispered on the wind but the storm became too great even for Saei to handle as he was forced into the snow once more.


 

 

Something…smelled…horrible. It was the first sense that started to bring him back to reality…and what a way to wake up. His eyelids quivered and his nose wrinkled at the stench. It was certainly not the guts from the worm…for he didn’t remember being so close to it on his way back…but there was also the sound of a crackling fire nearby.


‘Fire?’ Saei thought. There was no fire in the swamp.


Unsure where he was, he forced his tired eyes open to be staring up at a makeshift ceiling consisted of mud and dry grass that had a hole at the top to allow the smoke to escape. What was this place?


“Ah! You wake!” A raspy annoying voice sounded nearby. Saei turned his head toward the owner…only to see something he didn’t expect. It was some sort of creature he hadn’t seen before…and this was no feral. This male had four long drooping ears that fell on either side of his face and a long reptilian snout that has rows of jagged teeth that stuck out even with his mouth closed. Two beady black eyes looked over at him from across the small firepit that had something…roasting on a stick.


This male’s skin was a dark green like the swamp outside and a scaled body. A few tattoos ran up his arm like some sort of tribal sign and his chest was muscled greatly with a few old scars.


Saei blinked in confusion but…whatever this thing was…seemed friendly enough.


“You hungry? You eat!” The creature perked up happily and removed the stick from the fire to reveal what he had been cooking. Three frogs…that still didn’t look done.


“You want?”


The dragon glanced at his eyes before sighing and turned his head away.


“No hungry? All good. Eat later,” the creature shrugged and placed the frogs back onto the fire.


He still didn’t know where he was…but it looked like a small hut. There were beds of grass around him, leading over to a door flap which only consisted of a leather hide. The stench of the swamp wafted in to only make his stomach churn.


He couldn’t stay.


With gritted teeth, Saei pushed himself to sit up, the grass blanket falling onto his lap. His clothing was still ruined from the worm’s mucus and the mud…making him want to bathe so badly…but he threw off the blanket to fixate on his leg.


It was wrapped with a wooden plank to keep it straight but even with all of that on, it was hard to feel or bend. He frowned softly at remembering the attack but right now…it wasn’t his priority. He had to return now…


He felt his hip to feel relieved that his sword was still there and not stolen by this…thing…


How would he get out of the swamp like this though?


‘Only one way to find out…’ He told himself and brought his good leg under him to try and stand but failed miserably when he wobbled and fell back onto his grass mat.


“Leg no good,” the creature said and finally stood to reveal the rest of himself. He was tall…probably a bit shorter than himself…but the scales continued all over his body and his baggy pants were a mess, riddled with stitched areas of poor sewing habits. His legs were bent like an animal and a thick but short tail swayed behind him as he stepped closer.


“You talk? No tongue? Speak?”


“…I can speak just fine.”


“Ah! It speak! Good! We eat!” The creature smiled the best he could with his long jaws and removed the stick once more to show him the frogs…that still weren’t finished.


“Want frog?”


“…no. I am not hungry…but you said my leg is no good,” Saei narrowed his eyes slightly as the creature pulled off one of the frogs to bite into it, the bones crunching within his jaws.


“No good, no good. Bone crunch,” he smiled with a frog leg hanging from his jaws that sent a shiver up the dragon’s spine but he wouldn’t believe that his leg was no longer good. He pushed himself up again only to cry out in pain when he twisted it wrong.


“No good. I smart.”


“Who even are you and why did you take me in?” Saei questioned, straightening his leg out again with a hiss, mentally trying to come up with a plan to return to Yuuin’s palace.


“Bangi! Bangi is Yshoei. You lizard?”


Saei huffed at how…incompetent this…Bangi was but touched his wrapped knee.


“Do I look like a lizard…with horns?”


“…yes!”


Saei felt a vein in his forehead pop at that.


“I am a dragon feral.”


“Dra…gon? Dragon? What dragon?”


“You’ve never heard of one?” Saei glanced over at Bangi who plopped down on his hind end with a sad expression.


“…Bangi outcast. Thrown out from Yshoei herd. Say Bangi useless. Bangi make home here. Many frogs. Very good.”


“So, your own people tossed you to the side for being useless?” Saei raised an eyebrow and Bangi nodded. “…can’t be totally useless if you dressed my knee.”


The odd creature gasped and rose to his feet once more, tail wagging.


“You praise Bangi?! Bangi pleased! Bangi gather frogs in honor!”


“I don’t need frogs,” Saei told him before he could bolt out the door and looked to his leg once more. “There is somewhere I must return to so I cannot stay.”


“…no stay in swamp? You live here!”


‘Heavens forbid no,’ he groaned mentally but closed his eyes to ward off an oncoming headache. ‘Why must I be the one to deal with nuisances…?’ Saei reopened his eyes to look over at Bangi.


“How far from the outer edges of the swamp are we?”


“Thirty paces? Where you go?”


“On the outskirts…if it is still there…is my rashein. It might have run off by now, depending on how long I have been out,” he explained but it seemed everything he said went over Bangi’s head. “…can you take me as far as the outskirts?”


“How walk?” He asked and pointed at his leg. That would be a problem. What if his rashein wasn’t there…he’d have to walk or hobble all the way back…? One problem at a time…


“I will do my best with how it is,” he answered but Bangi snapped his claws and scurried around his hut, tossing belongings out of his satchels and to the side in search for something.


“No here…no here….” He grumbled and went to the next one, throwing a fresh frog over his shoulder that landed by Saei. They both exchanged looks before the frog leapt away to freedom.


“AH! Bangi find!” The bulky creature turned to show him a walking stick that seemed carved from a hardy tree. Designs were etched into the sides and at the top was a skull that was patterned to resemble a yshoei.


“Lizard have. He walk,” Bangi smiled and held it out for him to take.


“Not a lizard…but you are certain you wish for me to have this?” Saei asked, putting most of his weight on the walking stick to finally stand. It was…odd…but at least his knee wouldn’t be crushed by his weight.


“Bangi no need. Bangi made to frog hunt. Good smack. Dead. You take.”


“I appreciate the kindness,” Saei looked down at his grass mat to see some of the mud had come off him…but he was still filthy. He turned his attention back onto Bangi.


“Will you show me the way then?”


“Ah! Yes! Bangi show good lizard!” He smiled and went back to his roasting frogs, removing the stick from the fire to take it with him. “Meal for trip?”


“…I am quite alright…” Saei exhaled deeply when Bangi shrugged and led him out of the hut to be greeted by the stench of the swamp once more. First thing was first…return safely to the palace…and make sure Fey was well. Afterwards, he would have to bathe and speak to his brother…


“We go! Good lizard follow!”


“Dragon…”


“What is dragon?”


“A…bit hard to explain.”


“You talk. Bangi show the way.”


Hopefully, his entire trek through the swamp wouldn’t be like this but he was grateful. Slowly, he used the stick to keep himself balanced in the slick mud and frowned while looking down at his knee. Would he be able to use it once more…or did Basil permanently injure him this time?



© 2017 Jensen Roman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

102 Views
Added on August 26, 2017
Last Updated on August 26, 2017
Tags: journey, adventure, romance, violence

Journey of the Mender


Author

Jensen Roman
Jensen Roman

Buford, GA



About
Hello! I am a 30 yr. old woman who is compassionate for writing, being imaginative and creating my own world. more..

Writing