Chapter 34: Night Under the Vanishing Stars

Chapter 34: Night Under the Vanishing Stars

A Chapter by Jensen Roman
"

The journey resumes with friendship, laughter, and deeper relationships that chase away the dangers of what is to come.

"

Chapter 34: Night Under the Vanishing Stars

 

“Come on! Make it somewhat fun!” Basil bounced back and forth on his toes before rushing forward with sparks of fire flowing out behind him and raised his hand to swing at one of the bandits who was facing off against him. The bandit gritted his teeth and brought up his sword to block the blow but the feline smirked, putting more weight behind his body.


“You can do better…” He growled and pulled away to do a graceful backflip, his own boots catching on fire to connect with the man’s chin. The poor sap was sent backwards but two more took his place. “Do you guys ever stop?” He breathed out in a pant and wiped some sweat from his forehead while quickly checking up on the others.


Saei had his sword drawn and was dealing with far more than he was.


‘Showoff,’ he huffed mentally before squaring off once more with the two men who charged at him.

Saei leapt back from the small group that charged at him and brought up his blade in time to block a bullet that would had gone straight through his head. It was a nuisance. With eyes narrowing, he kicked off the ground as another bullet whizzed by him but he kicked off the ground hard with his new-found agility to leap into the air above them. Before they could register how to combat him, Saei spun in the air with a sweep of his blade aiming at the ground. A shadow blade flew off his own sword to make an impact where the men stood, slicing them all in one sweep. He gracefully landed on both of his legs and looked over to see how his comrades were fairing.


“Four!” Sid exclaimed while sending a forceful kick into his opponent’s stomach, surely rupturing his innards before turning to another thug who tried to take down the hare. He easily leapt over him to snap his spine with another harsh kick. “Five! I’m getting a work-out from this. I’m going to be so tone!” He hollered to his friends and spotted Basil setting a man on fire like a bomb.


“You sweating yet? You’re not working out if you’re not!” He yelled back with a smirk and punched another.


“I’m glistening and it’s getting me pumped!” He laughed while sweeping back his messy orange locks. “Phew…is that all of them?” He asked, panting slightly and looked over to Saei to see him cutting down the last man with the sword running through his chest and harshly bringing it out to make the battlefield ring with the sound of a blade against bone. He swept off the blood with a quick sweep and sheathed it.


His silver eyes scanned over the once pristine grass…to now see it covered in bodies and blood…many of them. This was the largest one yet that had tried something.


“That was the fourth group we’ve encountered since we left the farm,” Basil sighed while meeting up with the others with his red hair all in a mess due to sweat and dirt.


“Yeah…but there were more men in that one…” Sid noted, placing his hands on his hips while calming his breathing down and flicked his ears tiredly. “We were warned…didn’t think it’d actually happen though.”


Saei didn’t bother to join their conversation as he looked over to the horizon of the fields, expecting more to show but the undisturbed grass beyond their battle merely swayed with the evening breeze. The scenery went on for miles…and it felt as if they were going nowhere. Everything looked the same ever since they left the farm behind with their new tyeirks which Yuuin gratefully purchased for all four of them. He even warned them before they left that many bandit groups patrolled the northern fields and to be cautious. Now…he saw it firsthand.


“I just want a break,” Sid whined and stretched out his sore legs since they were his weapon of choice. “We’ve been traveling all day. I’m pretty sure my backside is asleep, I’m starving, need a bath, and a strong drink.”


“You complain too much,” Basil cracked a few of his muscles but he too felt worn out and everything the hare stated would be really nice but he looked to his brother to see what their plan would be. Seeing no more sign of danger, Saei exhaled with his body sticky with sweat as well and he tore off the vest from his body since it had been ruined by the last few attacks. It wouldn’t be salvageable and tossed the clothing to the side to only be wearing his pants now.


“I can see it,” Sid chuckled. “Even your brother wants a bath. Think about it…cool water…a nice strong drink in the hand…” He placed his hands behind his head and it seemed it was winning over Saei who turned to face them.


“We’ll head back to camp, find where we are and we’ll take shifts on look out.”


“Sounds great!” Sid smiled and looked back over to the woods that wasn’t too far from them. “Wonder how our little mender is taking it.”


“Well, we did tell her we’d scout around and she can set up camp,” Basil shrugged and slowly started to make his way back. “Females like doing that stuff, right?”


“What? Organizing things? I guess so. It’ll get her mind off things though if she keeps busy,” Sid replied and Saei glanced back at the fields one last time before following after his companions. He swept back his soaked hair and found it rather annoying how they had been ambushed four times now on the way here. The last one couldn’t really count as an ambush…it was more along the lines of stumbling upon them and being found out…but the last three were vicious in their assault of trying to steal from them. Thankfully, Fey was unharmed during the first three since they made sure to circle her this time out of protection.


He was surprised though when one man broke through their protection to try and get at Fey but she brought up one of their satchels to smack him across the face. They were all stunned…but he smiled sweetly when he remembered her yelling out how she got one and wanted to hit more. He would have to train her…and soon if something like that happened again. He’d also have to forge her a weapon like a short sword. Something light and swift.


His clawed hand reached into his pocket to touch the edge of the letter she had given him before they left Yuuin’s palace. He kept it close…and found himself touching the parchment even during their ride on the back of the tyeirks. With Sid and Basil with them, it would be near to impossible to respond to her letter how he’d like to. If it were up to him, he’d get across the words he wanted to say without having to use a silly piece of paper.


He sighed softly with his cheeks tinting a bit but when he inhaled, he smelled something delicious in the air. Sid and Basil stopped as well when they smelled it.


“What’s that?’ Basil asked, sniffing curiously but Sid licked his lips.


“Smells like food is cooking!”


“…did Fey cook for us?” Basil asked with a frown but Sid’s strides seemed hurried as the feline went after him.


“Have no idea but if she did, I’ll truly reconsider my fake proposal!”


Saei glared with a deep growl and rushed after the two since he would need to keep the hare in line to free Fey from his teasing. The deeper they traveled into the forest, the stronger the aroma became and even his mouth started to water. They had eaten that morning when they left the palace but nibbling on small fruit wasn’t enough for him.


“I can taste it now,” Sid moaned as thoughts of different foods came to mind. “Fried eggs…elk steaks…freshly made toast with butter melting on it.”


“Stop! You’re making me hungry,” Basil whined as he leapt over a log to keep up with Sid.


“A nice cup of the finest alcohol in the company of a beautiful woman. The perfect way to end the day,” he said with a smirk but felt like daggers were being thrown at his back and chuckled at knowing exactly who was being moody. The three ferals followed the scent of the food until they crossed a small stream to find the end of their search…and were surprised.


The small campsite that they thought they would come upon was so much more and then some. A roaring fire crackled and popped, licking at the wood that was stacked neatly to let it rage for some hours to come but there was already a pile waiting nearby just in case. Rocks circled the pit and stashed between the rocks were fish on sticks, roasting pleasantly and crisping beautifully. There was at least ten…but…Yuuin didn’t pack any fish for them. Saei glanced around the rest of the site to see blankets already laid out for them which the king did provide and fresh clothes folded neatly by each one. Their four tyeirks were tied to a nearby tree, all bundled together like a family and Fey was brushing out their feathers to give them a good grooming. The beasts did need to be pampered since they were doing most of the work and the tyeirk seemed happy with the attention as it purred with each pass of her fingers.


The mender had her hair tied back and had a small sheen of sweat, obviously from doing all of this work and she skipped on wearing a gown, now sporting pants and a buttoned vest like one of the males.

It was enough to say…they were all shocked.


“That’s a bit better, isn’t it?” She asked sweetly to the tyeirk who squawked cheerfully at feeling a bit better after the grooming but the large beast turned their eyes onto the new arrivals. Fey followed their gaze and felt relief to see her friends had made it back safe and sound.


“What took you all so long?” She asked…and noticed…they seemed to be staring a bit blankly. She tilted her head in confusion. “…what’s wrong…?”


Sid was the first to step forward to her surprise and took both of her hands in his, making her eyes widen.

“How about you and I leave those two behind and start our own journey?”


Fey’s eyebrow twitched and she tore her hands from his to smack him upside the head harshly, making him stagger back with a wince of pain.


“Stop being an idiot. I warned you, didn’t I?” She asked but he chuckled while rubbing the sore spot.


“H-how could I resist? You don’t see it, do you?”


“See what?” She questioned with a glare but her eyes softened when she watched Saei looking down at the fire with the fish grilling before looking over to her.


“Did you fish?” He asked in a bit of bewilderment and Fey raised an eyebrow, confused as to why they were all acting so weird but finally took notice of their appearances.


Sid was covered in sweat…his clothes a bit dirty as he grumbled about feisty women…


Basil came closer, his hair all in a mess and his tail looked frazzled with a few cuts on his body…


Lastly, Saei had rid himself of his vest and looked as if he had just got done training with his muscles being prominent. The mender did her best to hide her embarrassment but frowned worriedly. “Were you all fighting again?”


“They attacked us,” Basil said in their defense as he got closer to the fish to take a big whiff and licked his lips while crouching down but before he could snatch one up, Fey was quick at pulling him away roughly by his arm.


“H-hey!”


“You can eat AFTER you bathe. I may be traveling with three males but you still need to act decent,” she chastised, releasing him. “There’s a small pond nearby that way,” she pointed behind their camp. “I already placed towels on one of the branches and you can take the fresh clothes with you to change. The fish still need a bit more time as well.”


“Look at you,” Sid teased with a sweet smile. “If I didn’t know any better, I’d say you were pampering us.”


Fey huffed and folded her arms over her chest.


“We traveled all day…being attacked three times…and now you tell me there was another skirmish? Someone has to keep you all alive and I don’t mean by mending,” she lightly joked which relaxed the group even more but Saei was the one who grabbed the largest clothing by his prepared bed and walked up to Fey with all seriousness.


“Thank you, Fey,” he whispered and could tell in her eyes that he was making her nervous like usual, especially after their exchange of letters. She shyly turned her eyes away to look at the confused tyeirks.

“Y-you’re welcome. Go ahead and clean up and then we can all eat,” she said, wanting to get the attention off her as Basil grabbed his clothes as well but smiled her way.


“Everything does look lovely. When you said you would set up camp…this isn’t what I had in mind.”


“Should I had done more?” She asked with a slight look of worry but the thief chuckled with a flick of his tail.


“If anything you did too much. We might as well live here now. Don’t overdo it, kay?” He smiled and walked past their mounts toward the pond she had mentioned. Sid grabbed his change of clothing as well.


“It is really nice. You don’t need to do everything for us, just so you know,” he smiled as well and followed after Basil to go soak…but Saei remained. The dragon watched them leave through the foliage before turning his eyes down onto her but she was already making her way back to her tyeirk to rub under its chin. The beast purred happily, loving the attention but seemed to grow jealous when the odd feral came closer to wrap his bulky arm around her waist from behind. She gasped at being startled and shyly glanced over her shoulder to see him looming over her.


“S-Saei, they might come back,” she whispered in a warning. Sid wasn’t the biggest issue…even though he’d never let her live it down if he caught them being romantic. It was Basil she was worried about for she still didn’t know how to come out with it…and now it was even harder but the dragon still didn’t release her…or seem to heed her words. All he was doing…was holding her…somewhat that made her heart ache and flip at the same time.


“I am proud of you,” he said softly, keeping his voice down but her confusion only grew as did her blush.


“…p-proud…for what?”


“For being strong today. You showed no fear when those groups ambushed us…and even managed to harm one. I’ll have to be careful of that temper,” he teased and her cheeks exploded with color as she looked away but laid one of her hands over his, making the tyeirk even more jealous as he glared at Saei.


“…I don’t want to be so defenseless anymore. I may be a mender…but I want to help in any way I can. That’s why I made the camp look so nice.”


“And you even went fishing for us?” He asked and gently turned her around to face him. The nervousness on her face grew worse but with her still trapped within his arm, there was nowhere for her to go. Her white eyes remained elsewhere, finding the fire suddenly interesting.


“I k-know we still have food from Yuuin…but I noticed how you didn’t seem to like it so much…and wanted to get you something fresh. I did my best to get as much as I could so that you all wouldn’t go hungry. It was a bit annoying since I tripped so many times and lost chances at more fish. I did my be-“ She was silenced when he placed a claw over her lips. Her ears flew straight up nervously and felt her heart pounding against her chest.


“…look at me,” he ordered softly, making her gulp down her shyness and slowly brought her eyes around to stare up at his face. She honestly didn’t think she’d be able to have a moment like this so soon…

She honestly thought they’d have to still sneak around…but Saei was being so bold…and made it seem even if their friends came back, he’d just brush them off.


The tyeirk behind her huffed at being ignored and rested against its own companions, leaving the two ferals to live in their own world and forgetting about everything going on around them. His claws remained on her lips but slowly left to brush the back of his fingers against her cheek.


“Show me with only your eyes…what you wish of this moment…” He told her, his tail curling behind him when a cold breeze blew to remind him that the sun was setting soon and he still needed to catch up to the others…but right now…this tiny moment with the mender was far more important. Fey wanted to part her lips to speak…


How would she be able to do such a thing?


“…you could tell me to go join them…or to stay for a moment longer…it would be your choice…”


Fey swallowed thickly for she didn’t even know what she wanted. The first thing to come to her mind was just to be held…but then her brain started to change. It wanted to know the words that she had been wanting to hear. She didn’t want to just see it on paper…


‘A kiss wouldn’t be bad either,’ her inner thought surfaced, throwing that idea out for her but it only made the blush cross over to the bridge of her nose. She watched as Saei searched her eyes and she wanted to look away so badly from the intense stare but she was caught looking into the never-ending silver.

The edges of his lips rose in a small smile at finally pinpointing within her eyes what he needed to know.


“Two things…? Greedy, are we?”


“W-what do you mean? I was only thinking of one thing,” she fibbed and he easily caught wind of it with a wider smile.


“You were not,” he teased lightly and brought his claws back down from her cheek to hold up her chin. It was getting harder to control her heart’s rapid rhythm at this rate but it seemed someone was looking out for her up in the heavens for they finally allowed the tense moment to wash away when she saw him dipping down from his height to give her the hidden desire her mind threw out.


It was only brief…but the simple touch held much more meaning than just some silly kiss and even with his eyes remaining open to hold hers, she saw it showing. He was bearing his heart, giving it to her and showing her without even saying a single word of who he truly was and felt.


Fey could only smile against his own lips and within her eyes, she brought forth her own heart to showcase it.


‘We don’t need words…do we?’ She asked him mentally but the moment was lost when another cold breeze forced them apart when she shivered. Saei frowned slightly and looked up to the sky that was slightly visible through the canopy to see the stars beginning to come out.


“Maybe you should bathe before it gets too cold,” Fey giggled with a warm smile as she took a step back despite her best wishes not to but it was for the best or else they would had been like that forever. Saei looked to where Sid and Basil had gone off to and sighed.


“I suppose you are right. If you should need anything, you yell for us. Understood?” He asked, glancing at her for a moment to see her moving back to the fire to keep warm.


“Yes, sir,” she smiled back at him but he just grinned at her behavior and slowly walked away from their camp with his long tail dragging behind through the leaves and grass. Fey watched him leave, becoming nothing more than a shadow before exhaling shakily. “My heart can’t take this,” she said to herself and took a seat by the fire, watching as the flames danced around each other.


How much further…? Frowning, Fey raised her eyes to look back toward where the endless fields would be and brought her knees to her chest. She really…had come a long way…hadn’t she?


All the way from Hulei…that dreadful city…


Her fingers shook…


Looking down, Fey saw her hands literally shaking…but not from the cold since her body was warm…


What was this she felt?


It wasn’t fear…at least…not what she thought she feared.


Memories of ferals coming to her door…with tiny scratches…and her caretakers taking the gold from their clutches only to force her to heal. She remembered healing for hours a day…and her stomach twisted…


At the end of the day when she was worn out…panting…and feeling ready to pass out, all she heard was laughter and saw on their faces how much her worth really was.


The king hadn’t played a role since he sent Bylues after her…which ended Yhisin’s life. Someone died…because of her…


Fey frowned more and hugged her legs harder, only to hide her face against them…to softly weep.


 

 

“It’s cold!” Basil yelled when he resurfaced after diving in. It was a huge mistake and he curled his arms around his body to try and warm up but…it was useless. “That’s it! I’m out!” He hurriedly walked along the bottom of the pond to reach the shore but Sid was just removing his shirt when he spotted Basil trying to get out.


“Oh, stop being such a wimp. Get in!” He ordered and pushed him back into the water with his foot. Basil went under the water but quickly came back up to cough up water that had went down the wrong pipe to glare up at the hare who finished undressing.


“Why are you such a jerk?!”


“Because Fey wants us clean before we eat. You can’t get clean by just getting into the water and getting out, idiot,” Sid sighed and dove in. Basil huffed and waited…


When Sid came back up, he was gasping for air.


“IT’S COLD!”


“I told you!”


“You didn’t say how cold!”


“Cold is cold!”


“I’m out! I’m clean!” Sid’s teeth were chattering as he swam back over to pull himself onto the bank but the cold evening air brushed against him only to make it worse as he reached for his towel. “S-s-she did this…out of spite…” He shivered and held the towel close to his body while Basil managed to finally exit as well, grabbing his towel to dry off.


“W-why would she include me in with you though?”


“I think she’s growing tired of being around males all the time.” Sid ran the towel across his back and over his small tail but spotted Saei coming out through the trees to join them…


When the dragon saw them though, he just looked confused.


“…it’s cold…” Sid said in his defense.


“Very cold…” Basil agreed, running the towel over his hair but Saei placed his clothes on a nearby rock and didn’t seem to care for their warning as he removed his lower clothing.


“We’re warning you! You’ll come out less of a man than when you entered,” Sid teased but Saei sent him a death glare before diving in. Basil watched from the shore as he swam to the middle like some reptilian beast but came up shortly…without shivering and swept his hair back from his face. The dragon looked back to the hare…and for the first time…smirked in victory.


“You were saying, hare?”


Sid narrowed his eyes at the challenge and tossed his wet towel to the side.


“You think I can’t handle the cold water?”


“I know you cannot,” Saei dipped his head back to run more water through his hair as Sid inched toward the edge and stuck a foot in.


“…damnit it’s freezing…” he whispered and held his breath as he dove back in. When he came back up, he was shivering with his arms wrapped around himself.


“S-s-see? I c-can h-handle it t-too.”


Saei just chuckled and dove back under, not seeming to be affected by it but Sid looked to Basil for an explanation.


“I-is your b-brother insane?”


“No…he’s used to cold baths. After we’d spare as kids he’d bathe in cold water,” Basil explained and finished drying himself off to grab his undershorts. The evening wind was still merciless, making him shiver and quickly pull on his pants and fresh vest. The exposure of his skin wasn’t such a good idea but when they returned, they could sit by the fire with a warm meal in their bellies.


“S-s-screw this!” Sid chattered and swam back over to grab his wet towel from earlier to attempt to dry off. The hare watched as Saei resurfaced with his black hair sticking all over him but he pushed it back like last time before heading to shore.


“T-this isn’t the type of bath I thought it’d be,” Sid whimpered and grabbed his clothing as Saei grabbed his towel but shook off most of the water like some mutt before drying off.


“It is evening. You cannot fault the water for being frigid at this hour,” Saei told him and finished drying before grabbing his clothing to slip them on.


“I just can’t wait to go by the fire and munch,” Basil grabbed his dirty clothes in confusion. “…what do we do with these? If we keep throwing clothes out…we’ll have nothing left.”


“We’ll travel nude,” Sid shrugged but Saei also carried his used pants and towel.


“Bring them along. You never know if we can find a warm river to wash them in,” he noted and started to make his way back to camp as Sid finished tying his pants off.


“If I didn’t know any better, you sound like you’re the leader,” the hare teased, causing the dragon to stop and glance back at him. What was he trying to do?


“Fey is the one who decides where to go or do. Not I.”


“I know, I know,” he smirked in knowing as he hauled his clothing and towel with him. “But you could work beside her.”


Saei narrowed his eyes slightly…and felt the hare knew something but Basil roughly and purposely bumped into him.


“We all work beside her you dolt,” Basil walked past his brother to look back at Sid who was meeting their strides. “If we wanted to stop, all we have to do is ask.”


“So uptight. I’m trying to lessen the mood a bit,” Sid said but speaking of traveling only made a question pop up in his mind. “So, where is our next stop?”


“We’ll have to look at the map when we get back,” Basil spoke up. “Yuuin gave us one that is a bit updated from our last. We just never looked at it yet.”


“It’d be nice if tomorrow we can find a nice town. I’m not whining about sleeping on the forest floor…but yes, I’m whining about sleeping on the forest floor.”


“You slept on the palace floor. What’s the difference?”


“I want a bed, okay? Is that too much to ask?”


Saei ignored their small bantering and could smell the aroma of the fish getting stronger. They were closing in on camp and honestly, he couldn’t wait to just sit by the fire and have Fey relax as well. She had really outdone herself with hunting for them. He should had been the one to go out and hunt but when they were scouting around, there was little time to do so. He only prayed she didn’t overexert herself. Her exhaustion spells have been more frequent…which slightly worried him.


He stuffed his thoughts into the back of his mind for now when they finally reached their camp. The fish seemed ready to be eaten but he looked away from the fire to see Fey standing at the opposite end of their camp…looking out to where the fields were. His eyebrows drew together, feeling something was amiss but it seemed his companions couldn’t tell as Sid plopped down by the fire with a wide smile on his face and tossed his towel and clothing to the side.


“We’re back, kitten!” He acknowledged since it didn’t seem Fey had even heard them entering and even a few seconds passed before she turned around with a gentle smile.


“How was it? The pond, I mean.”


“Cold! I think I shrunk a bit and I’m talking about my height so don’t think of something else,” he teased as Basil placed his clothes beside Sid’s to also take a seat by the fire…but Saei saw past everything.


Fey’s smile…was fake…and even from where he stood he saw a few lines on her cheeks.


She had been crying…


Why…?


“Sorry about that,” she giggled and came back over by the fire. “Go ahead and eat. I think I brought plenty back. There’s still some fruit and other things inside the satchels so if you’re still hungry help yourselves. I’ll go and see what I can do with the clothing and also hang the towels to dry.”


Still wanting to work? Wasn’t she hungry?


“Come and eat with us,” Basil said with a soft smile, tilting his head back when she walked around the fire toward the towels to hang one up on the tree branch to dry.


“Let’s see if Yuuin maybe graced us with some alcohol. We can share it,” Sid joined in and went over to the tyeirks to check their bags for any sign of something to drink but Fey took the other towel to hang it up.


“Go ahead and eat. I’m…not really hungry.”


Something was wrong that he couldn’t put his claw on but Saei put his clothing beside the others and stopped Fey before she could do anymore with a gentle hand laying on her shoulder. She stopped to look up at him and now being this close…it was clear she had been crying.


“No more working for tonight,” he told her and motioned to the fire. “We’ll worry about everything in the morning. Sit and warm up.”


Hey eyes were conflicted…but she frowned softly, giving in and moved over to the fire to take a seat. She didn’t blush at his touch…or stiffen…and the light she had earlier with him didn’t show. He frowned in concern that…perhaps…her mind and heart were having second thoughts…? Couldn’t be though…

“Aha! Found some!” Sid brought out a large bottle from the satchel and four cups. “I may regret allowing Basil to drink but we’re here to relax and enjoy ourselves. We’re back on the trail so let’s celebrate,” he said with a smile and plopped back down at the fire while Saei also took up his spot near Fey but gave her a bit of space until he figured out what was going on.


“I don’t drink,” Fey told him from across the roaring flames but he just smirked softly and handed the first cup to Saei. “You can handle one small drink. As long as you’re not the stupid drunk like Basil.”


“Hey!” Basil growled at him while removing one of the sticks from the rocks and blew away some of the flames tearing at the fish’s flesh. “I can’t handle alcohol well, okay? Is that such a sin?”


“Yes,” Sid chuckled and handed one to Basil. “And one for our little lady,” he smiled and stood to reach over the fire to hand the cup to her. She smiled softly while taking it but looked down into the swirling liquid, deep in thought. It smelled sweet and Sid was already downing his own.


“Ahhh…that hits the spot,” he moaned and took up one of the fish just as Basil was biting into his. His eyes widened at the taste as he swallowed scales and meat.


“Fey, this is good! What did you do?” He asked with a wide smile.


“To the fish? I found some herbs near camp and I stuffed a few into the gills to bring out the flavor. Yuuin also left us some fruit so I squeezed the juices onto them. Is it that good?” She asked sheepishly but Sid tried his and his ears flicked at the flavors.


“Are you kidding us? This is great! Why haven’t we had your cooking before?”


“I-it’s just fish with herbs.”


“No need to be modest. Take pride in this. If there were more, you’d fatten us all up,” Sid complimented and tore into the flesh again, unable to contain a moan. Fey softly smiled to see them enjoying it and peeked over to see Saei sinking his fangs into his own fish as well. It was clear when he swallowed with closed eyes that he also enjoyed it.


“Eat one. Come on,” Basil grabbed one from the fire to hold it out to her. “Here! The biggest one.”


Fey looked at the fish for a moment but lowered her eyes with a frown. Basil tilted his head with his ears furled back.


“…do you feel sick?”


Sid looked over the fire at her worriedly, setting his meal to the side.


“You can sleep if you want. We’re taking the watches tonight so don’t worry your pretty head off on our account and just ignore us if we get drunk.”


Fey bit her lower lip…as a single tear fell from her eyes that made their camp grow silent. Basil placed the fish back with a frown and reached over to touch her arm.


“…Fey…? What’s wrong…?”


Saei looked over at her as well and watched as she brought her hands up to hide her face but was trembling…until she couldn’t hold it any longer.


No matter how hard she bit her lip even to where she broke the skin…she was crying.


He could smell the blood…and felt the sudden warmth again along with the taste resurfacing on his tongue but it was snuffed away when his ears heard her sobs.


“Fey…?” Sid frowned in concern and stood, going over to their belongings to pull out an extra blanket to place it over her shoulders. “What’s wrong?” He asked, staying close but she just shook her head, unable to speak.


“…we can’t help if we don’t know…” Basil said in a soft voice and moved his hand to her shoulder but Fey lowered her claws with her eyes still closed, unable to look at them.


“I can’t…” she whispered with a shaky voice and Basil pulled his hand away, not understanding. “I…won’t make it…”


The heaviness started to fall onto the group as each of them tried not to think of the true situation that they knew deep down but never wanted it to resurface…but it seemed…being back to traveling and heading north…it was bound to happen sooner or later.


Sid offered a gentle smile and knelt beside her to place his hand on her shoulder, making her eyes open only slightly.


“Don’t say that…” He told her, his voice void of any teasing and was truly honest. “You’re strong…stronger than anyone I know. You’ve gone through so much and look where you are.”


“He’s right,” Basil chimed in. “We escaped Hulei…made it past Treaish…we went over the pass…all we have to do is keep going north. We’ll take breaks along the way, whenever you want.”


More tears ran down her face as she lifted her head to look at them.


“I’m dying…” She spoke softly with so much hurt that it felt as if all of them were stabbed. “…I knew…ever since I was in Hulei…the pain…the exhaustion…I tried to ignore it…I wanted to enjoy this adventure…with everyone…I don’t…want it to end…”


She knew all along…and never showed it…?


Saei felt a heavy weight on his chest at how much she was truly hiding all on her own…and now…her emotions were spent…


“…I care…about all of you…I don’t want to leave…I don’t want all of this…to be for nothing…the troubles…Yhisin…”


A small bit of color shined in her cheeks when she felt a large hand encasing hers and she looked to see Saei’s eyes shimmering. He was holding back his own sadness at knowing the truth…


“You will not be leaving. We’ve come this far on your journey…and it will not end. Your journey will end when you say it does…and that’s at Estyuin. We will get you home…together.”


“Couldn’t had said it better myself,” Sid smiled and grabbed the biggest fish again to hold it out to her. “If we didn’t care…we wouldn’t be here. If we didn’t believe in you…we wouldn’t be here. If anything, we’re one messed up family and we’re going to follow you wherever you go.”


“That’s right. You can’t get rid of us so easily,” Basil smirked, plopping his hand down on her head. “We’ve been friends for how long now? We started this together…we’re going to end together…that’s an order from your prince.”


With everyone near her…offering her words of comfort…Fey felt her heart warming terribly and she couldn’t help but smile sweetly at each of them.


Maybe…she could go on longer…


She reached out to take the fish with the alcohol still in her other hand.


“Y-you’re all idiots,” she giggled and wiped away her tears as Sid smiled before taking his previous seat.


“You know you love us. I mean who couldn’t? Three dashing males who are constantly having clothes damaged and you’re having to look at our sleek forms. Many girls would be jealous,” he teased, going back to his old ways while Basil glared and took a seat back beside Fey to grab his fish once more.


“You make it sound like we do this on a daily basis.”


“We pretty much do. I’m surprised how she is not seduced by now.”


Fey blushed a bit more but bit softly into the fish with a smile, feeling her mood turning around for the better. The hand on hers slowly slipped away but tapped the back of it to gain her attention for a moment. With Sid and Basil bickering, Fey turned her eyes to Saei to see him smiling sweetly at her before he parted his lips to mouth words that nearly made her die on the spot.


‘I love you.’ He grabbed the fish he had been devouring and pulled off more flesh but before she could process everything and give her heart a chance to recover, Sid interrupted their moment.


“Fey, give us your opinion,” he smiled over at her.


“H-h-huh?!” She looked back to Sid to see him pouring himself more to drink.


“Who has the nicest body here? We’re debating it.”


“We can’t give our own opinion…we’re males,” Basil shrugged and finally took a sip of his drink but Fey huffed softly while taking another bite out of her fish.


“Who has the nicest form here? Obviously me,” she stated proudly to shoot all of their egos down and a second passed by before she heard laughter from them.


“Wow! She’s vicious. I’ll admit, she got us there,” Sid raised his cup to her. “To the most blood thirsty lady in the land who will shoot any man down who crosses her path.”


Basil chuckled and raised his cup as well. “To Fey.”


Saei couldn’t help but smile at the atmosphere returning to normal and tilted his own cup to her. “To Fey, the brightest mender.”


“Look at Broody tossing out the words,” Sid teased, sipping from his own cup again and Fey just smiled with a soft blush. Her friends were there for her…cared deeply for her…and now…Saei made her second desire come true. With a sweet smile, she raised her cup to her lips to take a small sip.


“Uh oh…Fey is drinking…” Basil smiled over at her, finishing his fish but she threw him back a look.


“Don’t think I can handle it?”


“I’m actually curious to see what type of drunk you are. Are you the giggly one? The one who confesses everything?” Sid offered Saei more to drink who held his cup out to him to be refilled. “Apparently, only Broody and I can handle it.”


“Oh yeah? Watch this!” Basil downed the rest of his drink and slammed his cup down on his knee but drinking so much so fast made his head dizzy. His head wobbled from side to side, bringing about more laughter that continued into the late-night hours with the fire still roaring between them.



 

The forest had grown darker with the sun fully disappearing and the moon taking her place in an endless cycle. The small campsite had quieted down after an evening of events. The fire still crackled, keeping them all warm in the chilly night and he was the first to keep watch. Saei quietly added another log to the flames, feeding them more to let them grow higher and illuminate everything around him. His eyes scanned around their camp to try and find anything amiss.


Sid had a few fish bones nearby that he was too picky about along with their sticks and was silently snoozing while curled in his blanket. The bottle of alcohol was placed away, halfway finished but could be used for another night. Across from where he stood, Basil was on his stomach after having drunken himself into a stupor. He did give them a bit of a show, stating how he could uproot an entire tree. Come to find out he couldn’t and passed out on the spot.


He shook his head with a smile and stepped around the fire to where Fey slept soundly, all bundled up to keep warm and used one of the satchels as a pillow. Even though she had a few sips of the alcohol, she couldn’t handle it just like his brother but thankfully she just grew tired and fell asleep after eating her fish partially. He smiled softly down at her, stepping closer and knelt on his healed knee beside her. Since his companions were asleep, it meant he wouldn’t be noticed as he brushed back a few strands of her fallen hair with his claws.


Fey deeply inhaled with a tender smile as if her body knew who it was.


“…sleep well, my mender,” he whispered and didn’t wish to push it too far. If they weren’t present, he would had stayed but his eyes roamed over to her lips to see where she had bit it hard earlier. There was dried blood…


His muscles slowly tensed without him having some sort of warning and his pupils turned into slits.


‘No!’ He yelled at himself mentally and forced his eyes away even though his chest rumbled in a growl at being denied. Saei stood and put some distance between them, feeling his muscles shaking…

He needed to clear his head…


Taking deep breaths, he glanced at their camp one last time before leaving them behind for a moment. He wouldn’t be far and could easily reach them again if something were amiss but…he needed to get this desire under control. He found himself growling again with the scent of blood still in his senses and he slapped his cheeks to try and calm down.


“…I won’t have it…I won’t…” He told himself and passed through the trees to step out onto the endless fields. The fall of night made them feel even more ominous but he kept on his guard as he lowered his hands, his eyes returning to normal as he sighed under his breath.


Was the desire growing stronger? Was it because he had a small taste of her blood before and now it only fueled the fire?


Surely not…for even when she was struck with the arrow, he was acting the same.


He frowned softly while raising his eyes to the sky to look upon the moon, cursing him mentally for placing the burden upon him.


“…I will not be like them,” he glared up at the moon but there was no response. “I will get her home…”

Only silence…or so he thought.


His long ears twitched when he heard a soft rumbling from high up above and he turned his eyes away from the moon to look at the stars. Was he…just hearing things? It was probably an animal scurrying away…but his eyes slowly widened when he saw something large in the sky blocking out the stars and making its way over his head. It was long…like a serpent and hard to see due to it being so dark but it had eight long feathered appendages flapping slowly to keep it airborne. The stars vanished at its arrival, its massive form hiding them from his view before they reappeared when it passed by. Saei followed the form…to see it heading north with another soft groan that merely sounded like thunder.


The dragon had no idea…if it was friendly…or possibly hostile if it knew he was below it…but he looked back to the forest deep in thought.


Fey was going to have more challenges placed on her shoulders besides just the traveling. If they stopped and people found out what she was…they had to worry with that…


Creatures that he knew made the snowfields their home that were beyond normal imagination…


And he frowned at the last option…but prayed mentally he would not be something she would have to contend with on her travels. He glanced at the sky one last time and saw that it had returned to normal with the beast having taken its leave. Sighing softly, Saei turned to head back into the forest and fought the need to be close to Fey during his watch. For now…he needed to be away from her…



© 2017 Jensen Roman


Author's Note

Jensen Roman
I know I said on the last chapter I would make it the last one but I couldn't contain myself and needed to post one more to end where I believe it should be left off so this will be the last one I upload while the rest will have to be read at a later date. Thank you all who took the time to read and give feedback! Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

86 Views
Added on September 3, 2017
Last Updated on September 3, 2017
Tags: journey, adventure, romance, violence

Journey of the Mender


Author

Jensen Roman
Jensen Roman

Buford, GA



About
Hello! I am a 30 yr. old woman who is compassionate for writing, being imaginative and creating my own world. more..

Writing