Chapter 11: An Unforgettable Face

Chapter 11: An Unforgettable Face

A Chapter by Jensen Roman
"

The dreaded moment happens to only bring more questions and rekindled emotions.

"

Chapter 11: An Unforgettable Face

 

        His entire life…flashed before his eyes…or at least what he called a life that is. Sid swallowed thickly and thought for maybe a moment, the dragon didn’t recognize him…or hadn’t seen him during the battle he had with Basil…but it was clear in the way he was looking down at him that he knew who he was.


“You feeling alright, Rial? Here, I’ll get you a drink,” Yhisin raised his clawed hand to signal the bartender over and something…unexpected happened. The dragon feral tore his gaze off the hare to slowly take a seat beside him so that Sid was in the middle. He…wasn’t going to attack him? Wasn’t going to blab out that he was with the mender…? Wasn’t this feral after her? If so…


Sid cautiously looked to Yhisin who took the provided glass of liquor to slide it to Rial who caught it in his claws. Feeling like some prey caught between two predators, Sid reached down to grab ahold of his prize.


“I will…just take my leave then,” he told Yhisin, not trying to let them know how nervous he was…but Rial didn’t even seem to think he existed. He raised the cup to his lips to only sip slowly, placing the cup back down.


“Already? Well, it is late. Nice meeting you, Sid.”


“L-Likewise,” Sid nodded and took one last glace at Rial’s back before scurrying out of the bar, leaving the two Imperials alone.


“Nice feral,” the fox noted and took another small sip of his own liquor. “So, what kept you? What was this business?”


At first, his friend remained quiet…but that wasn’t anything new. Figuring it was personal, Yhisin watched as the liquor swayed in his cup.


“…Yhisin…we are comrades…”


“…of course we are…”


“As your comrade…I no longer wish to hide.”


The fox tilted his head in confusion but turned on his chair to face him slightly. “…what do you mean?”


The dragon exhaled deeply, running a claw around the rim of the cup. “No matter what transpires…I will always see you as a loyal companion…and I promised to help you with your son…which I still will…but…” His voice trailed off as Yhisin frowned a bit.


“…you’re making it sound as if you’re going away…or dying…”


Rial softly shook his head.


“…I can no longer…hunt the mender.”


Though the bar grew nosier with patrons sharing a night out on the town and drinking together, a small bubble formed around both Imperials to envelope them in their own world as Yhisin’s ears swiveled back with a frown framing his face.


“…can I know why…?”


“The answers…are in the book you picked up…when the bandits attacked. It is with my belongings…if you wish to read it now…you may.”


“…but…I do not quite understand why suddenly…this was our mission…”


“I know…but I only served the king out of being forced. I found that book during my times not serving to pass the time…and learned a piece of my life that I didn’t know even existed. The feral that I thought I was…the life I had known…was only some fantasy.” Yhisin grew quiet, looking back down at his cup.


“…so…you’re telling me…that book will…explain why you can’t go after the mender?”


“Yes…” he whispered. “I will understand if from here on…we are on opposite sides…”


The fox sighed heavily and swept his claws through his hair in thought, leaning against his palm with a sadder frown. “…my son is still captive…under that wretched man…a king who…was never there for me…stole my life…killed my mate…and pups…now he has me by the throat…but…” He closed his eyes to hide the pain. “…you were there to give me your aide…as not just a comrade…but a friend…I am torn…” He placed his pipe away and stood slowly to look down at Rial.


“…I…need some time…I’ll head back to our rooms…and find out why.” Unsure what else to tell his companion, Yhisin stepped away to slowly make his way to the exit. Rial watched him leave to sigh and bring his own drink back up to his lips.


‘Fey, I will protect you now…not him.’



 

 

She was out like a light and didn’t even wake when he picked her up to carry her back to the inn. It was getting late in the night…possibly near midnight now and Basil was unsure if they planned on leaving in the morning or taking the time tomorrow to resupply before heading out but they all needed rest.


After finding the right inn after mistakenly going to three others, Basil had their room key and used his tail to open the door to where Fey could sleep. It looked to be a normal room…with a perfectly made bed. After everything that took place today, Basil felt uneasy parting from her…but…he’d be in the room next door…if she needed anything. With a frown, he carefully moved back the covers and tucked her in while placing her stuffed creature next to her as well to keep her company through the night.


“…try and sleep well,” he whispered…but lingered. She looked…so peaceful…without a care in the world. Her sleeping face didn’t show fear that the Imperials were still after her…or the king wanted her powers…or the fact that her home may no longer exist…none of that mattered. With a soft sigh, Basil brushed his fingers through her hair only once before pulling himself away. He locked her door from the inside before leaving with an annoyed look.


“It can’t be morning soon enough,” he whispered and was about to open the door to the room he would share with Sid but heard panting coming down the hall toward him. Looking up, he saw Sid skidding to a halt before him and tried to catch his breath.


“What has you so worn out?” Basil asked, watching as the hare bent over to place his hands on his knees to regain himself. He held up a claw to silently tell Basil to give him a few as he sucked in some much-needed air.


“T…the feral…who…attacked you and Fey…is here…” he managed to breathe out. Basil’s face lost all color to hear this dreaded news. Here they were having a splendid day…and now to know that their hunters were possibly a building away…


“Are you sure? Where?” He demanded to know and Sid straightened his back, standing upright once more.


“At the bar. It’s not the one close to here so there are plenty of inns for them instead of this one…but…I went to have a drink…and a fox came up to me to drink with me.”


“…smoking…?” Basil asked cautiously and Sid just nodded.


“He didn’t seem to care…but he said he was waiting on his comrade…so when they did show up…it was that dragon who fought you.”


“…did he say anything…? Harm you?”


“…thankfully no. I’m fine…all he did was look at me and sit down, not even speaking to me. He knew who I was…I could tell in his eyes…so it’s plainly obvious they know we’re here.”


“…why they didn’t capture you as a hostage though…”


“I don’t know…” Sid sighed and pushed back his messy hair.


“Can we leave in the morning?”


“We could…but the rooms here were more expensive than I thought and getting two tore through my expenses. We’d have no food to travel on.”


Basil growled and tried not to punch the nearby wall but he clenched his hands hard into fists. Sid seemed to calm him down a bit though when he held up his hands for him to listen.


“…tomorrow…there’s a large tournament. The prize is ten thousand coins. If we both enter, that’ll better our chances on winning.”


“…you can’t fight.”


The hare just shrugged with a grin. “Don’t concern over me. Whoever isn’t fighting at the time, stays with Fey to guard her…and we try to win the money…if not…our last option is to sell our bodies…” He teased and Basil huffed before pushing open their room door.


“…we’ll win the gold quick and get out before they can even find us.”


“That’s the plan,” he slipped into the room as well, knowing it was going to be a long night for all of them.


 

 

The sleepless city finally calmed down after another long night of living. The lights remained in the sky but were very dim due to the sun taking its place as the main source of illumination for Treaish. A few shop owners started to open to cater to breakfast and small stalls started to set up their place near the tournament since they knew it’d be a packed place today.


Basil could had slept in longer…but when the sun beamed in through the window to hit his face just right, he clenched his eyes harder with a growl and turned over onto his side. It was only then when he started to wake up that he remembered what today was supposed to bring. A tired yawn passed his lips as he sat up to crack his bones when he stretched out his limbs.


“…felt more like a cat nap…” he whispered and rubbed his eyes to blink away the tiredness.

Basil glanced over at their traveling companion to see Sid still sound asleep on his stomach, breathing heavily.


“Sid, wake up,” he called out to him and rose from his bed, his tail stretching out but the hare didn’t hear him.


“Come on,” he grumbled and took his pillow to lightly smack the hare across the face with it. With a startled gasp, Sid fell out of his bed with a loud plop and glared up at Basil.


“The hell is your problem?!”


“It’s morning! That’s my problem,” he retorted and reached over to his folded vest to sweep his arms through the holes and tied it across his chest. Sid moaned tiredly and rubbed at his ears.


“I barely got any sleep…not with you snoring…”


“I don’t snore that badly…I’m going to rouse Fey,” he told him after putting his pants on along with boots that came up to his thighs, leaving the hare to get ready. Hopefully she had a better time sleeping than he did. Even when he undressed to try and get some z’s, his mind kept wondering back to her. All he saw when he closed his eyes…was her…but on some occasions…she would have that Imperial looming over her…that only made him sneer angrily but he pushed those thoughts away to gently knock on her door.


“Fey…?” He called out to her…but there was no answer. Was she…still sleeping perhaps? Though he didn’t want to seem like some vile man wanting to sneak a peek at a lady, he had to get her ready for them to depart shortly after the tournament.


Basil used his sharp claw to undo her lock, nearly breaking it but pushed open the door slowly with his eyes lowered incase during the middle of the night Fey somehow became less decent.


“…Fey…? You awake…?” There was still no sound from her. All he could pick up on were the sounds of soft breathing when he honed his ears toward her. Still sleeping…


After making a silent prayer for her to be fully clothed like last night, Basil took a quick glance over at her and frowned when she hadn’t moved from where he placed her. She didn’t turn over…or move…


The blanket was still the same and her stuffed prize remained beside her.


The only indication she was even alive was the slight movement from her chest and her small ears twitched.


“…Fey…you need to wake up…” he whispered and walked over to sit on the bed beside her stomach and touched her shoulder. Still nothing…


Was…something wrong? She wasn’t feeling sick again, was she? A spark of worry started to forge in his heart as he carefully shook her. “Fey…” He raised his voice a bit higher and he felt a wave of relief rush away the worry when she moaned and dug her face into the pillow. “I know it’s early…but we have to get ready.”


“Hmmm…for what?” Her voice was muffled and Basil fought back the urge to chuckle at how adorable it was.


“We’ll explain once you wake up. Sid and I will wait in the front area of the inn,” he explained and let his claws slide down her arm as he rose to leave the room to give her privacy. When he exited, he heard a deep yawn exiting the room he had stayed in and saw Sid walking out with his arms stretched above his head while wearing his usual wear.


“So…we tell her or…?”


“I wouldn’t. She’s been put through enough…I’d like today to be without anything that might upset her.”


“I can agree with you there…but we might as well get some food while we wait. We’re going to need all the energy we can get,” Sid offered a hopeful smile and made his way to the front of the inn where food would be served to the residents while Basil took one last glance toward Fey’s room before following after the hare.


“How many contestants usually enter this…thing?” Basil asked, taking up a small wooden plate to begin gathering delectable morsels. Seeing the amount of food laid out made his stomach clench but he didn’t want to overeat. It’d only make him sick but sausage, toast smothered in honey and even more sausage sounded like a good way to start his day.


“It depends…I know last year when I came to see it, it was only eight contenders…five of them didn’t last long,” he said and gathered up a few vegetables and a salad, along with carrot juice and headed to a table to sit down with Basil joining him. Sid raised an eyebrow at his plate and cringed when the feline started to dig in, juices from the meat running down his lips.


“…must you be so savage?”


“Must you be a pain in my a-“


“Morning,” a sweet and soft voice interrupted Basil’s retort and both males looked up to see Fey walking to them…rather slowly and she had a few bags under her eyes. Sid took a sip of his juice with a bit of concern in his eyes. “…you sleep well?”


“I did…I didn’t wake up once,” she told him and took a seat beside Basil who looked down at her with a frown.


“…you look tired.”


“I’m okay. Might had just been a long day is all,” she put on a soft smile for him.


“Guess so…want me to get you a plate?”


“I’m…not really hungry.”


The concern earlier rose once more but he tried to hang onto her words for some sort of comfort. He pushed his plate toward her so that they both could share.


“You have to eat something…you vomited everything yesterday…and haven’t had anything since. Just a small bite?” He asked and tore off the corner of his toast to hold it out to her.


“Fine,” she smiled wider and took it to only take a small bite out of it. For now, it would be something. Maybe she was just worn out from yesterday. They were attacked…twice. It must be troublesome to be a mender…with greedy people out there only wanting to use you. He softly sighed and swallowed another piece of meat while Sid changed the conversation.


“So, we have a plan today, kitten,” he started, grabbing her attention as she stopped eating to listen. “…to be blunt…we’re flat broke…”


“We can’t leave?” She asked worriedly but he smiled wide.


“Oh, we will. There’s a tournament being held here within the next hour with the winnings being more than enough to build us each our own home and then some. Basil and I are going to enter…giving us a better chance at coming out on top. We get the gold, restock, and whoosh, we’re gone. If all plays out right, we should reach the pass by nightfall? Ride the trolley up and reach the summit by morning?”


“It sounds like a wonderful plan. Can I help in anyway…?” She asked with a concerned look. “I feel bad if you two have to go and fight.”


“Just rest for us,” Basil answered and patted her head, bringing a small blush to her face when he looked back down at his plate. “I want you to have the rest.” Though he could had eaten more, she needed it more than he did.


“Are you sure? I don’t think I can eat all of this.”


“Eat what you can,” he smiled. “When we fight, one of us will be with you to make sure you’re okay. Cheer us on from the sidelines.” Fey put on a determined face with a gentle smile.


“I’ll be the loudest one there to help you guys win.” Her mood seemed to be rising, putting his soul at ease as he watched her starting to get her appetite back to finish off what he left behind.


 

 

Was it true…? Were the words in this book…fact…or just some…twisted joke that someone came up with? Yhisin slowly closed the book on his lap, sadness emitting from his eyes and a frown on his face as he looked over at his friend who stood by the window of their room to look out over the city.


“And…you are certain…this is what you are…?” He asked in disbelief. Rial exhaled deeply and glanced back to his comrade.


“…yes…I am not them…but…I am…one of them…if that makes sense…”


The fox looked back down at the book, remembering images of blood dripping from cups…leaking from the corners of mouths…child…women…men…


He shuddered but gave Rial his attention once more.


“This isn’t you…the mender doesn’t know?”


“…no, if she did…she would had tried to kill me long ago…if she found out I was one.”


“I see…”


“Her life has already been one that has been pulled through flames with greed and desires…I will not add to that…for some man.”


“What do you plan on doing then?” Yhisin asked, putting the book to the side. “Go up to them after all that we have done to join their group?”


“No…I wish to remain distant as possible,” he explained and looked back out the window. “I will watch from afar…until she reaches where she needs to go…then I will feel some sort of…atonement…after that…I will keep my promise to you…so…now it is your choice…”


The fox sighed and rubbed the sides of his face. He knew he wanted to learn more about who Rial was but…this wasn’t what he expected…and it made his heart twist to know his friend felt guilty for matters of the past. He slowly raised his eyes and stood.


The dragon turned to face him…unsure how his friend would react.


“Comrades…friends…” He started and slowly lifted his clawed hand to him. “…we’re still all of those…we’ll help each other…before we go back for my son.” Rial allowed the ghost of a smile to form on his lips as he took Yhisin’s hand.


“I appreciate your honesty.”


“It was hard…I feel like I’m turning my back on my own kin…but…I can’t do anything without you. If I went back…with the mender…what type of male would I be…? I’d live with that decision all of my life…and if I went back without…well…”


“Not to mention I will be guarding her…so you would have to contend with me.”


“And that isn’t a predicament I’d like to be in,” he chuckled and joined him at the window. “…so, we find her?”


“Yes…and do what we can from where we are,” he answered, watching as magical lights shot off from above the arena on the other side of the city.


 

 

“I am so excited!” Basil exclaimed, looking out from the entryway to see the stands were filled to the brim with spectators ranging from young to old. It would certainly be quite the show to put on and he felt his heart already racing with anticipation as he cracked his knuckles. Sid huffed and folded his arms across his chest.


“Only six this year…? Seems the desire to lay a pounding on someone is slipping away,” he stated and looked across the way to see their competition. It didn’t seem too bad…but then again…he didn’t want to underestimate anyone.


There seemed to be a normal looking lady…standing off on her own…


A large burly feral with scales like some lizard to make his hide tough…


Lastly, there were two human males who were conversing with one another. It was possible they were in it together like they were.


“Eh, who cares?” Basil smirked and started to bounce on heels while shadow boxing to get his blood flowing. “We’re going to knock them out of this arena.”


While the two males sized each other up for the competition, Fey remained close to the wall to look up toward the crowds of onlookers. There were so many and when the sun continued to beat down on them…it was truly a wonderful day to be out but she whimpered silently and clenched her eyes shut when she felt a wave of dizziness hit her.


‘…what’s wrong with me…?’ She asked herself and opened her eyes to sigh when Basil looked back at her with a wide grin.


“Cheer us on, okay?”


“I will. Promise,” she placed on a smile to fool both males that anything had happened. At this time, she didn’t need them worrying for her…no more than they already had done. Thankfully, an announcer walked out onto the center ring with a piece of parchment in his hand.


“Ladies and gentlemen! Welcome to this year’s Treaish Tournament!” The crowd erupted in cheers and hollers. “We only have six contestants this year but it should still be a show nonetheless!” He held up the parchment to examine it closer. “Our first round…will begin with Sid the Hare and Cryeiol the Crocolisk.”


With Sid going up first, Basil leaned back against the wall to remain close to Fey. “Let’s see what you can do, rabbit,” he taunted but Sid huffed with a knowing smile.


“Still think I can’t fight?” He left them with that question as he folded his arms across his chest and stepped onto the center ring. Cryeiol did the same, his heavy footfalls causing small rumbles to make the ring quiver.


“…hare…? I will devour you, little bunny,” the feral said in a gruff voice. Sid just smirked knowingly while Fey pressed a hand to her chest worriedly.


“…is…Sid really going to be okay?”


“…probably not….”


The announcer stepped off stage with one arm in the air. “Weapons are prohibited! To win, it must be a ring out or forced submission! Anything else could be a disqualification! Contestants…get ready!”


The croc feral growled lowly and slammed his heavy tail against the stage to make an indent while Sid remained calm and unwavering.


“BEGIN!” The announcer shouted and Cryeiol was already charging forward like a mad bull.

“Sid! Move!” Fey tried to warn him but the hare yawned tiredly and just as the croc was about to land a blow on him, he leaped high up into the air with his powerful legs, arms still folded.


Basil and Fey were in shock to see him reaching those heights just from a jump but Sid backflipped to swiftly land on the croc’s head, digging his boot into his face before kicking him away to the far side of the ring, nearly knocking him out in one go.


“…you want to play, rabbit?” He snarled and rose to his feet but Sid just glanced back at Fey with a smile.


“I call a bet…between the cat and I. Whoever wins…gets your kiss. Sound good?”


Fey’s face flared red and her ears stood straight up. “N-n-n-no!”


“Aw, you’re such a tease,” he chuckled and dodged to the left with his legs again when Cryeiol swung at him. He had swift footwork to continue to dodge more attacks, looking more like a blur to the crowd and even to Basil.


“…I…he said he couldn’t fight…”


“Well after what he pulled, he gets no cheering from me,” she folded her arms but was in disbelief when the croc seemed to grow tired at trying to catch the hare who was clearly faster and with one swift kick to his spine, the feral was sent out of the ring.


“Did I win already?” He faked a yawn and leaped down from the fighting ring to approach his companions.


“And the winner due to a ring out is Sid!” The crowd cheered and Basil was inwardly impressed at how well he handled himself…unless his opponent was just weak. He’d have to find out once they fought against each other.


“Too easy. That money will be ours soon enough…and think over that kiss too,” he winked at Fey who threw him a look and kept her distance.


“You try anything while I am out there fighting and I’ll charge off just to smack you,” Basil threatened with a glare but Sid shrugged.


“Don’t tell me you wouldn’t that prize…” The feline’s face darkened a bit as he turned his back to head out a bit when he was called to be up next against the human female.


“On a serious note,” Sid began and came closer to Fey who remained on edge. “…how was your outing with him?”


“…it was nice…relaxing…”


“Did he make any moves?”


“M-moves? No, we were just spending time together.”


“Hmm…” Sid hummed in thought and glanced over at the fight to see it had begun with Basil having a serious advantage over his opponent. “Don’t rush anything…kay?” He whispered to her and she looked up at him in confusion.


“What do you mean?”


“…just saying…don’t rush matters in your life. You’re young and have many years to figure out what you desire so don’t feel as if you have to make a decision now about something…or someone,” he told her with a serious look.


Many years…? After hearing that, she thought back to the one fortune card that was littered with skulls and frowned. Did she have a long life ahead of her…or was that old lady right…? Would she…be facing death soon…? From what though…? It made her sigh and she pressed a claw to her temple when a harsher wave of weariness hit her.


“…kit…you feeling alright?” Sid asked with a concerned voice, ignoring the crowd’s cheer when apparently Basil easily tossed his opponent out of the ring and came a bit closer but Fey just stepped back with a whimper.


“I-I’m fine.”


“…you’re lying…and being terrible at it,” he told her and stopped advancing when Basil came rushing over with a small sheen of sweat on him.


“Man, that was a rush. We have time they said for they’re pitting the other two against each…other…?” His sentence slowed when he looked down at Fey and his ears folded back. It was clear on her face that she wasn’t herself.


“Fey, what’s the matter?” Basil questioned worriedly and took a step forward but he gasped when Fey nearly lost her balance just from standing perfectly still. He managed to catch her at the last second or else she would had hit her face on the ground.


“…let her rest,” Sid suggested and motioned to the wall near them. “She could still be a tad worn out…and barely has anything in her stomach…you thirsty?”


All the mender could manage was a small nod. Sid quickly glanced back the fighting ring to see one of the males had forfeited….figures…if they were working together and the one left behind seemed to be the strongest of the two.


“…I’ll be up against that moron…cat, go get her a drink at one of the stalls outside. They’re close. I’ll do my best my best to watch her from my fight.”


Basil honestly didn’t like the thought of leaving Fey alone in her condition but gently placed her down against the wall and in the shade, out of the burning sun. “I’ll be right back,” he whispered and gave her a small pat on her head before rushing off as fast as he could.


“Our next contenders, please come to the ring!” The announcer called, making Sid grit his teeth and glance down at Fey.


“You sure you’re going to be alright sitting there?”


“Y-yeah…maybe I just…have too much on my mind…” She told him, which was a bit of the truth.


“…why don’t you close your eyes and try not to think about anything? I’m letting you off from my advances just for this moment to let you rest,” he lightly teased which did manage to bring a small smile to her face as he headed off toward the ring to hopefully end the fight quickly.


It was true…that a lot plagued her mind…and it didn’t help when her body felt fatigued and dizzy. It was a lot…


From that wyrsuil nearly killing Sid…


The Imperial finding them…and making her believe the unthinkable…


He made her think…that Saei was...


Her heart clenched heavily and she closed her eyes, only to have small images of when they were young flash in her mind. If he did grow up…he’d be so much taller than Basil…and probably still the serious feral she knew him to be.


‘Serious yet kind…’ She told herself and remembered back to when she was departing from his home…and he came to see her off not only with words…but the kiss to her cheek. It was the only thing along those lines she had ever experienced and he had to claim that achievement. It made her face heat up slightly but it was interrupted when she heard footsteps returning. She opened her eyes to see Basil coming back in a hurry with a small cup in his hands and knelt beside her.


“They had some herbal tea there so I thought it might help you,” he told her and she smiled at seeing him wanting to do his best.


“Thank you, Basil. I’m…sorry for all of this,” she took the cup to give it a small sip.


“Don’t apologize…something is going on and we’re just worried, that’s all. Just rest up. Maybe if all goes well…perhaps…we can stay another day. It’s going to be a long trip tomorrow to the pass.”


Hopefully, the Imperials wouldn’t be slinking about or else they’d have to cut their trip even shorter.


“I’d like that…” She told him and glanced over to see how Sid was doing but gasped worriedly when his fast footwork wasn’t doing him any good. The human man he faced was on the offensive and just as fast as Sid, landing a harsh punch to the hare’s neck to make him stagger backward toward the edge a bit.


“Sid! Come on!” She yelled, wanting to give him a bit of cheering and it seemed at hearing her cries only gave him more energy. The hare sprung forward with powerful legs to land a brutal kick to the man’s stomach, sending him off the edge but she saw Sid holding his chest.


“…he might be hurt…” Basil noted, watching as their companion carefully stepped off the ring to head back to them.


“Our final round will begin momentarily!” The announcer exclaimed…which only meant Sid and Basil would be going head to head. One could easily forfeit or fake a ring out just to get the money…but Fey knew they’d be too proud to admit defeat to the other.


“That human hurt…a lot…” Sid joked, coming up to them to take a small seat with a deep exhale. His shirt had opened a bit during the fight and Fey could see purple bruises forming.


“You got hurt,” Fey frowned with worry but he waved her statement off with a simple wave of his hand.


“Just bruising…still aches…but I’ll manage. I’m still going to send this cat fleeing with his tail between his legs.”


Basil glared down at him in challenge. “You really want us to fight?”


“This might be our only time to be against each other. Why would I pass up this opportunity?”


Fey sighed at how males just had to go for each other’s throat and pushed herself onto her knees to hold a hand above Sid’s chest to have it glow softly, grabbing both of their attention.


“Whoa, kit!” Sid took a hold of her hand to move it away from his skin. “You need rest…not healing.”


“If you two idiots are going to have a go at each other you might as well be in the best shape you are that way this is over and done with,” she replied with a bit of annoyance and swatted his hand away to go back to making the bruises seem as if they weren’t even there.


“…don’t tell me you females aren’t like that,” he tried to lighten the conversation. “What if some lady came up to you wanting to throw down?”


“If we were friends, I wouldn’t go along with it.”


“Friends?” Both Basil and Sid asked in unison, exchanging glances with each other. “Who said we were friends?”


“Oh my goodness,” she sighed in annoyance at their behavior and lowered her hand after the bruises had vanished. “Go on and get. Go beat each other up. If you need healing afterward don’t look to me,” she chastised, leaving both males chuckling as Sid stood to fix his shirt.


“A simple kiss will do.”


“Sid, I swear to the gods-“


“I’m teasing!” He grinned down at her and started to walk toward the fighting stage. “See you in a bit, kitten.”


Basil sighed and looked down to Fey who was closing her eyes again. “…I’ll finish this quick. Try and rest up,” he told her but tapped her hand with his tail to give a bit of comfort before he followed after the hare.


Peace and quiet at last…


She did enjoy their company and bickering but sooner or later her white hair was going to become even whiter…if that was possible. She rested her head back against the wall with a hum, trying to clear her mind of anything…but her blank mind was very short lived…for more memories made themselves known as the sounds of the crowd were snuffed out.


The small Saei that she knew who was long gone was sitting beside her on her guestroom bed once more…sending her off before she would eventually return to be lost in the storm. She felt his touch…his rugged scales against her cheek…the warmth of his skin.


Never tell me goodbye…’ He whispered and she felt her heart clench harder.


‘But it was a goodbye…’ She mentally told him but the little boy she imagined slowly grew taller and larger until she was sitting on the bed…all grown like how she was now…and the little boy was now this large feral who kept his cheek against hers.


‘…why did you have to go…? I’m trying to move on…but…it feels like…you’re holding me here…’ She whispered to his mental image but his face slowly pulled back from hers until his silver eyes looked down into hers. His lips started to part to speak but she was roughly pulled out of her make-believe world when she heard footsteps stopping before her. Thinking the males were done, she started to open her eyes to greet them but a harsh blow came to the side of her head to send her to the ground with a gasp of pain.


“Tie her mouth shut…I’m going to make use of this mender…” Said a gruff voice but it was all she heard until her mind grew too foggy for her to stay awake.


 

 

“We’ve searched almost the entirety of this city…are you certain she is still even here?” Yhisin grumbled, his hands behind his head as he walked side by side with his comrade who seemed to quicken his pace at his words.


“I am certain.”


“How certain?”


Rial glanced over at him with a knowing look. “The rashein they used is still tied up out front. They wouldn’t leave a way of transportation behind.”


“Who knows? They could had wanted to rough it and walk,” he lightly joked.


“Not when the mender is ill,” he told him and slowed down his pace to see two paths splitting up ahead. “…we will split up. I will go left to search. If you do manage to find her or her companions, find out their plans but return to me.”


“We do we meet?” He asked and started to go off to the right.


“We will meet back at our rooms tonight,” he explained and made his way to the left.


“…feels like chasing a wild goose,” Yhisin sighed and went down his steps to disappear from Rial’s view who quickly made his way down the left stairs. The area he was heading to was the opera house where a lot of people usually congregated and it would be hard to find her if so.


He knew Yhisin was still…a bit insecure about the change of their mission…but after seeing the vomit from the mender, it only showed how dire this situation was. If the king did somehow get a hold of her…there was no way she would survive and he knew Yhisin wanted to save his son…but he would feel the guilt of sacrificing someone else for the rest of his life.


They would make this work…somehow. Rial didn’t even see how it all planned out…for he was taking it one step at a time. All he could focus on right now was finding the mender just to make sure she was being cared for and when her group would be leaving to follow behind them in silence.


He reached the bottom of the steps, entering more crowds. His long ears tried to focus on individual voices and not as a whole…


Perhaps her voice would be one of them…


“He found one!”


“No way, really? Where?”


“Just sitting there at the arena. He saw her actually healing!”


Rial came to a dead halt with his head turning toward the voices. They belonged to two men who were human…and looked to be thugs of some kind with filthy clothing…torn here and there which only made the Imperial’s eyes narrow with curiosity. The men were heading to the back of the opera house to make sure no one was noticing as they opened a hidden door to enter an underground storage area. With a low growl emitting from his throat, Rial rested his palm on the hilt of his sword and followed them.


 

 

It hurt…everything did…


Her head…


Back…


Arms and legs…


What…even happened…? The last thing she recalled was…sitting at the tournament…while Sid and Basil went off to go see who was the better male…while she remained. She remembered…growing a bit more tired and wanting to calm her mind…but…she saw Saei…sitting there with her…keeping her relaxed and giving her company. It ended when a swift blow met her head…


Thinking on it, she whined when that area of her head throbbed painfully. Her eyelids wavered as she slowly opened them to see if she was back at the inn or something but her face paled and her eyes widened to see the predicament she was in.


It wasn’t the tournament area…nor the inn…or anywhere else she had seen in the city.


It looked like a worn-down basement of some kind. Pipes ran along the ceiling and up into the building above where she could hear faint sounds of cheers and singing. Was she…under the opera house? Confused, Fey looked down at herself with a whimper of fear to see that her wrists were tied tightly together by chains that were pulled over her head to the point where her shoulders ached from the position and each foot had a shackle that forced her legs out to the side as she was sitting down. A rag wrapped around her mouth to keep her from crying out as she tried to move a bit but winced when it only made the aches worse.


“Finally awake, are you?” Asked a rough voice and she raised her eyes to see three men standing before her but it seemed the one who spoke came forward with a wicked grin on his face.


“So…the myth isn’t really a myth…is it…mender?”


How did…this guy know…? When they were out and about, she never used any healing…but it hit her. When Sid had gotten injured and she gave him some of her healing…it wasn’t hidden. Anyone passing by outside might had been able to see her glow…


“The look on your face says it all…so you cannot blame us for your own stupidity,” he shrugged with his henchmen chuckling. “Something as valuable as you…giving yourself away so boldly? Obviously, you don’t care who sees.”


Fey pulled on the chains again to try and back herself up but twisted her shoulder badly to cry out into the rag as the man came closer.


“Struggling won’t help you here, darling…I’m debating whether to make a profit off you…whether it be healing…or just to give men something exotic…”


Her face paled at the sickening idea and used her free tail to try and smack him but he forcefully grabbed it, putting enough pressure to make tears form in her eyes since it was more sensitive along with her ears.


“What do you think? Or…should I keep you all to myself…give me a longer life…I heard you can do that…so…how about it? If you can do that, I’ll rethink letting other men have you.”


Fey narrowed her eyes at him and would had thrown a few curses his way if she wasn’t forced to be silent.


“…it looks like you’re saying no…but I gave you a chance,” the man said and slowly stood to harshly sweep the back of his hand across her face to cut her cheek open. Her head flew to the side as she bit down on the rag to quiet her scream, not wanting them to know how much it hurt.


“You might change your mind if I let my boys have fun with you,” he snickered and took another step back from her as two of the human’s henchman came forward, making her look like some piece of delicious meat and they were hungry wolves. Fey fought once more, wanting to claw at them but one of the men stepped on her tail with his boot while the other gripped a few locks of her hair to force her head back. Unable to hold them back anymore, a few tears she had been hiding slowly ran down her face.


“Aw, I almost feel bad…ALMOST…” he emphasized as his grimy touch started to push aside the shirt Sid allowed her to use that was still too big on her. It was enough to make some of her skin show, mostly her shoulders but she struggled again only to hear a gurgled noise from somewhere nearby. Both men seemed to stop curiously, looking back and so did their boss to see another of their men limping down the stairs that led up to the world above but his right arm was completely gone, blood gushing out as he staggered down the last step to trip and fall.


“The hell happened to you?!” The boss yelled out and watched as the man used his remaining arm to try and crawl toward them as heavy footsteps came down the stairs slowly. A trail of blood was left behind as the injured man cried out in fear when the culprit came into view and Fey felt her heart suddenly stop.


A long sword dripped with red blood onto the stairs as two strong legs came into view followed by a tall and muscled body. A bulky dragon tail flowed out from behind him that was curled as if ready to lash out and when he reached the final step, Fey managed to breathe again but felt complete dread at seeing nothing but death in the Imperial’s eyes.


The man turned onto his back to try and put some distance between himself and the feral but Rial slowly walked forward to slam his foot down onto the man’s ribs, breaking them upon impact. He coughed out blood, screaming in pain as the feral raised his sword to impale the man’s skull through his forehead. The sound of bone being broken echoed through the room and it twisted Fey’s stomach.


“W-w-w-who do you think you are?!” The boss took a brave or foolish step forward and tried to take a swing at Rial but the dragon whipped his head around to only look at the man who stopped mere inches from him in fright. His hands trembled when the silver eyes didn’t move from him, only promising death shortly as Rial stepped past him toward the two men who were still near Fey. The feline whimpered at his imposing form and drew back a bit in pain.


“…g-g-go on! Kill him!” The boss ordered, still frozen in fear. One of the henchmen swallowed but drew a dagger with a sad attempt to slice open Rial’s throat. Unfortunately, his attack was blocked by the sword before it was roughly brought down to slice open the front of his torso. His lungs and heart were shown as blood poured out from open vessels to have the man crumble to the floor.


The remaining henchman staggered back in fear but took his dagger to place it at Fey’s throat in a threat.


“I’ll cut her throat! I swear it if you move forward!” Fey gasped when she felt the cold metal blade against her skin which slightly knicked her to have trickles of blood flowing down her throat. A soft whimper came out from her as she looked up to Rial, trying to tell him to not worry for her life and to just kill the scums who did this to her.


The Imperial didn’t seem affected by his taunt as he parted his lips to blow out a small wisp of black shadow that slowly vanished. The man seemed confused at first but felt his chest tighten with intense pain. His hand slipped from the weapon to let it fall as his skin started to melt from his skin.


With his screams making Fey’s ears fold back against her head, Rial swiftly ended his cries with the tip of his sword impaling him through his heart.


The man’s body was close to her and she tried to move her legs to not feel his blood on her but the Imperial swung his sword so that the man landed away from her.


All that remained…was the boss himself…


Slowly, the dragon turned to face him, his pupils turning into slits at seeing him. The man crumbled to his knees with his hands in a prayer.


“P-p-p-please feral, spare me! You want the girl?! You can have her! J-just let me go!” He pleaded but Rial took a step closer to him, bringing the tip of his sword up to point it at his navel.


“…you brought pain…and suffering…to her…” he growled out, fangs slowly becoming known and Fey felt a chill run up her spine to hear the venom in his voice.


“I o-o-only asked for a simple thing! I would had let her go!”


“…you brought fear…so…I shall bring the same onto you…” he whispered and with a swift swing, cut across the boss’ hips to cut deep into his skin. All he could do was cry out and try to put some distance between them but another slice tore open the back of his thigh, making his leg unable to work due to the tendon being cut.


He fell onto the floor, now crying for any sort of relief…even if his life ended…it’d be better than torture. He turned over to face the dragon, glaring up at him.


“K-kill me! Kill me, damnit!”


“…no…setting your soul free…is too lenient for the likes of you…” he told him and pointed his sword at his chest. “…I will be the one to devour your soul…for it will burn for eternity.” At the end of his sword, a shadow dragon started to form with its mouth agape, growling hungrily as it closed in on the man.


The human screamed in fear and tried to crawl away but the shadow dragon tore at his chest to make his skin dissolve like snow in fire, consuming everything…to leave nothing but bone. With one last roar, the dragon retreated into the sword as he quickly sheathed it with a deep exhale.


With all the filth cared for, Rial slowly turned back to see Fey still tied up in chains…with a cut to her cheek…bruise to her head…tail a bit swollen and looking down right frightened. After seeing what he could do, along with the plans of these men…it was no surprise. She shrunk back a bit when he stepped over a fallen body, her chains jingling at her movement but Rial kneeled before her to remove his hilt, placing it to the side for now. Without speaking a single word, the feral reached forward to use his claws to snip the cloth tied around her mouth and she panted softly, rubbing her sore jaw to her shoulder which…she forgot…was bare. They had pulled the shirt down a bit, making her face darken slightly to see that with her struggles it had lowered even more to reveal more creamy skin close to the top of her cleavage.


Fey still had no idea…what this Imperial’s plans were but she didn’t have the energy to move or fight him. He stood for a moment to reach her wrists and placed his claws to her bindings. Shadows leaked out to eat away at the steel, breaking her free from her shackling and she whimpered at the soreness in her shoulders. To have her limbs return to their proper place was a relief.


Her eyes kept watching him nervously when he carefully moved over her tail to her feet, doing the same to her imprisoned ankles. The shackles snapped and he tossed them to the side to be forgotten before looking back down at her to see what else needed to be done.


With ears back, Fey lowered her eyes with no words coming to mind…or where to even begin…but she was forced to look up when she heard ruffling. Rial removed his outer cape and placed it over her shoulders to hide her exposed skin.


Though he could had done more…staying too long was only asking for trouble. All he could do was keep his distance while also making sure she managed to get somewhere safe like the inn. Rial stood, grabbing his sword to place it back on his belt as he turned to head for the stairs.


Fey was in shock…


He saved her…and was now just…leaving? Forcing her wobbly legs to stand, she gripped his cape hard.


“Wait!” She yelled but he didn’t listen as he reached the first stair. “Saei, wait!”


Her mouth and heart spoke before her mind could even process what she had said and her heart dropped when the feral stopped on the first step with his back to her.


“…please…wait…” she pleaded and took a staggered step forward, hugging his cape even more to help keep her warm. “Please…talk to me…back in the woods…you…y-you…said something…”  Her eyes teared up while his dragon tail curled in thought but the Imperial slowly turned to face her, coming back down to stand on the floor.


“Why do you call me that…?”


“…call you what?”


“That name…”


“…b-because…” her voice trembled when she took another step forward. “…y-you’re…not dead…are you…? Or are you playing with my mind…?” Basil’s warning resurfaced in her mind but the feral slowly shook his head.


“The male you seek has been dead for a long time…I would advise you forget all your memories and move on.”


Fey bit her lower lip with a whimper and took another step to be even closer to him.


“Then take off your mask! Take it off! Show me that you’re not who I think you are!” She demanded and now stood just inches from him, his tall height forcing him to look down at her.


“…it would be best if I remain with this on…I gave you my advice…now heed to it…” he told her and started to turn around but Fey couldn’t take it any longer. Crying out in pain, she used her claws to swipe at his face which only caught his mask and sent it to the floor to shatter. Fangs scattered in each direction as Fey looked up with anticipation but the feral had his head turned to the side from the swipe she caused, his black hair hiding his features.


“…look at me…”


He didn’t respond.


“Please…I’m begging you…” More tears coursed down her face as his claws formed into a fist.


“Saei! Look at me!” Within a blur that nearly made her fall back onto her rear, the feral was now looking down at her with his face fully shown. Undamaged skin…with rough dragon scales on his cheekbones and some traveling up to disappear into his hair…but two silver eyes looked back down at her with unknown emotions that made her heart plummet as far as it could possibly go with her lips trembling to see an unforgettable face


“…S…S-Saei…”



© 2017 Jensen Roman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

128 Views
Added on July 29, 2017
Last Updated on July 29, 2017
Tags: journey, adventure, romance, violence

Journey of the Mender


Author

Jensen Roman
Jensen Roman

Buford, GA



About
Hello! I am a 30 yr. old woman who is compassionate for writing, being imaginative and creating my own world. more..

Writing