Chapter 32: The Dragon and The Cat

Chapter 32: The Dragon and The Cat

A Chapter by Jensen Roman
"

With Saei returning safely, Sid's wise words manage to allow the two to have a night for themselves.

"

Chapter 32: The Dragon and The Cat

 

Seeing the truth wasn’t bad enough…but then…she was told. She knew the truth hurt…but to this degree?


It was still dark outside…with the moon almost hidden beyond the tree line to signify that day was soon approaching.


Another hour had gone by…and she knew…


Fey lowered her eyes sadly, doing her best not to shed anymore tears…she had been crying a lot but no more. She needed to remain strong…but how could she at that moment?


Even when Yuuin returned with a small cup of the crushed petal juice, Fey forced it down with a fake smile of thanks…before wanting to be alone.


She left Sid behind…worrying for her…as well as the king…


But more importantly, she left Basil behind…and she remembered seeing a flicker of hurt in his eyes when she rose from the bed to seek shelter by herself.


The night’s cold air didn’t bother her…at least not emotionally. Physically maybe for her skin formed bumps and was shivering slightly since all she wore was her silk gown that allowed the cold air to bite at her flesh…but she cared not.


Basil…had attacked Saei. She saw it within his eyes…and didn’t want to come to terms with it…but…he came clean, telling her how Saei didn’t fight back except to defend himself. Basil mentioned how he was so blinded he didn’t realize what he was doing until at the last second, he felt the knee give way…and he saw his strong brother crumble to the mud like some weak animal.


Fey knew his knee was already on the borderline of being useless fully…but now…Basil could had crippled his own kin…and worse, left him there. The mender didn’t try to think of Saei crawling through the mud with a pained face…trying to reach them again. She sucked in a shaky breath and looked over at the moon.


“…what do I do…?” She whispered and knew there was no way the moon would listen to her, especially if she was a mender. Plus, it was the moon for crying out loud but…she felt…she needed to confide in someone…or something. “You…love the sun…do you not? You’re following her even now…but…the sun never follows the moon. I sound stupid…but…I can’t help but fear…”


A soft breeze blew through the trees before her, knocking off a few leaves in the process to let them flutter down to the forest floor below but no words came to reassure her.


“…Saei would want me to stay safe…but…I need to go find him…” She whispered, frowning. Her ears tucked back further against her hair to keep them warm when the wind started to target her. “…I know you can’t hear me…or you might not even exist…but…can you…keep Saei safe…and bring him back? I’m asking as a mender…and one who your love gifted.”


No answer…


It was a stupid prayer…and she knew it.


Her tail curled around her as she softly sighed, looking down at the hands in her lap.


“I feel lost…”


“You’ll find your way,” came a soft voice that nearly startled her and she glanced over her shoulder to see Sid sheepishly standing at the end of the hall that led outside to where she was, holding two cups of steaming hot broth. “…I know you wanted to be alone…but I was given the order to care for you…so just following duties.”


It was true she only wanted silence and to be left in her own world…but she couldn’t stop the soft smile from forming that was also laced with sadness. She moved over just a tad, signaling for him to come sit.

The hare’s soft footsteps came closer until he carefully sat down beside her and held out one of the cups for her.


“Yuuin thought it might help you. I told him I was going to see you anyway even though he advised I not.”


“…thank you…” Her voice was soft as she wrapped her cold hands around the heated cup, feeling the warmth seep into her cold body to warm her. She held it close to her lips, allowing the steam to caress her face. Sid silently took a sip of his, closing his eyes to allow them just a few moments of silence. If Fey wasn’t in the mood for talking, he’d at least sit there with her to offer his support. Today…just wasn’t a day for her. It seemed everything wasn’t going her way…


“…Sid…can I…ask you something?”


He opened his eyes slowly when he heard her voice. It was shaking…unsure about something. Sid rested the cup on his knee but kept his eyes forward.


“What’s on your mind?”


“…do you see me…as a greedy person?”


“You? You’re the least greedy person I know. Even when you’re supposed to be resting, you’re fretting over everyone else. If anything, you could afford to be greedier. Take things for yourself. What do you want?” He finally glanced down at her to see her frowning…and a single tear fell from her eyes. “…Fey…?”


“…I d-don’t know…” She whispered with a pained voice. “…I don’t know…anymore…”


Sid frowned and reached out with all seriousness to brush back some strands of her hair that hid some of her face to him. She had tear stains on her cheeks…and loads of them. She had been crying since she had come outside…


“…listen to me…” he whispered, drawing her eyes up to him. “What would make you happy?”


“M-me…? I…I want…just for everyone to be sa-“


“No,” he chastised and pulled his hand away with a stern look. “What do YOU want? Stop thinking about us for a moment. What does Fey want in this entire world?”


His questioning only made her lower her eyes but he spotted the soft blush on her cheeks.


“We know you wish to go home…and we’ll do everything we can to accomplish that but surely…along the way…you need something else. What is it?”


“…I…c-can’t say…”


“Am I allowed to guess?”


“You probably will anyway even if I say no.”


“True,” he chuckled and leaned back on his hand to hold his cup to his lips in thought. “…you’re not materialistic…so it can’t be jewelry or outfits…not make-up…don’t need it. You ARE going through a lot of things lately…that can only bring a heavy burden onto you. Bearing it alone is probably wearing you out…so…if you put two and two together…” He smirked lightly and took a small sip before glancing down at her. “You want a lover.”


Fey’s ears stood up straight and her entire face exploded with a blush as she glared up at him accusingly.


“Too strong of a word? Someone close then? Not just a companion?” He tilted his head to see if he was on the right track but by her awkward silence, he knew he hit the nail on the head. “…what’s wrong with that?”


“N-n-nothing! I j-just…I can’t…not while I travel. I need to stay focused on getting home.”


“…doesn’t mean you have to deprive yourself of a shoulder. Do you think I would honestly care if you asked for a break every once in a while, just to be pampered and free of burdens? I’ll admit, I’ll be jealous,” he lightly teased and Fey huffed while finally taking a sip of the warm broth. It instantly heated up her belly, banishing the cold for only a moment. “But if it’ll make you smile…why should I be against it? So…now comes the fun part. Guessing.”


“What good would that do for you?”


“Because I am a male afterall. I can give tips, especially if it’s someone I know,” he winked and she just looked back over at the moon, wondering if the spirit thought their conversation was amusing.


“So…let me see…is it someone I do not know?”


“No…”


“Wow, small world. Someone I do know then. That narrows it down terribly and isn’t looking too good for you,” he chuckled and sat up straight to look up at the sky as well. “I know you care for me…but, this strongly? I’m not sure if I am ready…but for you, I think I can put my nervousness aside.”


“It’s not you, you idiot,” she grumbled, taking another long sip to heat herself up more.


“No? Shame. Hmmm…” His long ears twitched for a moment and from the corner of his eye, he watched her reaction. “…Basil…?”


Her face didn’t darken…or anything. If anything…she looked sadder.


“…from your expression, he is an issue though.”


“Not an issue…he’s still my friend…but…”


“…you can’t believe what he did?”


Fey looked up at Sid in confusion but the hare just shrugged.


“I heard the entire thing…my ears don’t just frame my face, you know?”


“Y-you heard? So…you know?”


“I don’t know ALL the details…but…from what I gathered…Mr. Broody is something that kills menders…and Basil injured him badly.”


She frowned softly, worried now about someone else knowing.


“…what do…you think?”


“About what?”


“…about Saei?”


“What should I be thinking?” He shrugged. “Don’t really care what he is. If he tries to harm you, I’ll kick his jaw from its socket. Simple. I’m not worried.”


“S-so…you don’t…care?”


“Hmmm…no, not really, no. He’s a strong fighter…so would be handy to have him along on this journey so as long as he keeps himself in line, we’ll have no trouble.”


“I wish Basil saw it that way,” she whispered, looking down into her cup.


“They’re brothers, what do you expect? Plus…I shouldn’t be saying this…but…with him having strong feelings for you, the thought of someone possibly hurting you put him on edge. You did know that, right?”


“I d-do…I could tell from how he treats me. You’re just a tease…but…Basil has always treated me more like a sister he should protect than…something else? So…I guess my heart and mind can’t see it any other way. T-that’s why…I’m afraid. I don’t want anyone to get hurt…both physically and emotionally.”


“…but then you’d be depriving yourself like I was stating earlier. You’d be letting yourself be batted around like a mouse…”


“…I know…” She sighed softly, her ears fanning back once more but Sid raised an eyebrow at still not figuring out his puzzle.


“…do you like Yuuin?”


“Yuuin is sweet…and yes, another mender…but we’ve only just met.”


Sid itched behind his ear in thought before smirking at figuring it out.


“…you love Mr. Broody.”


On que, her cheeks darkened and she shrunk into herself a bit, apparently too embarrassed to come right out and admit it.


“Aww, that’s actually adorable. I can see it. The strong…lethal…silent dragon…and the bright…cheerful…bubbly feline. An odd couple but hey it’ll be the talk of the town.”


“S-Sid, don’t tease me,” she nervously pushed some of her long locks away from her face but he chuckled softly and finished his broth to set his cup to the side.


“Why be shy about it? I think it’s great.”


“B-b-but you have to see my predicament…” she looked up at him with pleading eyes and he seemed to understand.


“…with Basil? I mean…I can see where you’re worried…loving a brother while the other feels for you…but…again, Fey…you need to start thinking about yourself and what you want. If not…you’re just going to go through this journey and your life unhappy. We don’t want that. Whatever happens…we truly seek out your happiness.”


“…I’ll still be crushing someone emotionally though.”


“That’s just the game of love, sweetheart,” he shrugged sadly as his own memories resurfaced. “Only one person can truly hold a heart at a time. Sure, you can care for everyone in this world…but only one special person can truly hold that special place that is set aside for them. Of course, people get hurt…but if they truly care…they’ll want to see you happy no matter what…with or without you by their side.”


Fey frowned softly as she mulled over his words…and knew deep down in her heart, he was right. She could “pretend” to give Basil her affection and not tell him how she truly felt…or stop him now before it got worse for she was growing tired of always having to hide.


“So…now that I figured out your little secret, what do you plan on doing?”


“…n-not…really sure.”


Sid leaned his chin on the palm of his hand that rested on his knee. “Aren’t you going to tell him when he gets back?”


“I d-don’t even know if he can…Saei might not be even able to move,” she glanced over at him worriedly but Sid seemed calm.


“Did you forget he’s a dragon? He’ll find a way. Now, tell me your plan.”


“P-p-plan?”


“Yes, on confessing.”


“I a-am still unsure.”


“So hopeless,” he teased and slowly stood, stretching out his entire body with his arms above his head. “He’ll come back…so in the meantime since you’re awake, why don’t you go and soak in some hot water? Not in the bath but the king has to have some sort of spring in here,” he placed a hand on his hip, glancing down at her. “Don’t think about anything…just go and soak.”


“…I guess I can. I am freezing,” she stood, straightening out her gown and gathered up their cups. “Thank you, Sid…for always knowing what to say…and can we keep it between us? I’ll tell Basil when I feel ready.”


“Of course,” he smiled and ruffled her hair cutely, earning him a growl. “Hey, might be my last time if he’s going to be clinging to you from now on.”


“H-he won’t.”


“You say that but I would,” he smirked and started to walk back down the hall toward a side door. “Remember your happiness first, kitten,” he said and entered the palace once more, leaving her alone with her thoughts but she sighed, thinking it might be best to calm her rapidly beating heart with a nice hot bath.


 

 

 

The lights…he could see them even in this darkness…finally…after what seemed like forever. Sitting on the back of the rashein was pure torture, each movement of their stride jarring his leg. He had to bite his tongue multiple times to silence himself through the pain…but he could finally put that dreadful swamp behind him to seek out some rest. It was a good thing Bangi didn’t seek to come along. He knew the creature meant well with his walking stick and…constantly asking if he wanted frogs…but his head was swimming with pain.


From dealing with the nasty swamp…


Being attacked by that worm…


Betrayed by his brother…


Not knowing the fate of Fey…


And having to listen to Bangi while still feeling unpleasant with mud on him.


Saei exhaled deeply, straightening himself on the saddle but the movement only made him wince harshly. He was unsure how he was going to travel long distances like this…but he would have to endure.


“A rider approaches!” He heard a guard yell from the entrance to the palace and his silver eyes caught sight of figures moving here and there…possibly more guards ready to assault him if he was some sort of an attacker.


He gripped the reins tighter and used his free hand to touch the brace. Still…nothing. With a growl, he pulled his hand away to forget all about it as his rashein carried him closer. When he neared, he saw a tall figure…bathed in white holding a small lantern in their hold but when the light shone on their face, his eyes narrowed to see who it was that was greeting him.


“Alive, I see…” Yuuin greeted, bringing the lantern down to dangle by his side when the rashein pulled up before the guards. “…to be honest, I did not think you would return.”


“What reason do I have not to?”


The king huffed softly but glanced over at the brace on his knee…and the state he was in. He was filthy…and had a few wounds on him, minor…but mainly, he looked worn.


“Your kin arrived some time ago…” The serpent told him but Saei didn’t even seem to notice he spoke as he released the reins of the large elk to swing his good leg over the saddle and looked down at the ground.


“How is Fey?” He asked.


“The young mender is well. She awoke earlier this night and drunk the flower’s petals. She is doing better,” he explained and again, glanced at the injury. The dragon tensed up his body as he slid off the saddle and skillfully used his tail like a leg to catch his fall. He slowly straightened himself, removing the cane from the back of the saddle and replaced his tail with the gift from Bangi, not even looking ashamed.


“…I take it you seek for me to mend you?” Yuuin questioned, watching as one of his guards took the rashein to lead it back to the stables.


“No,” Saei spoke without hesitation. “I merely wish to cleanse myself, nothing more.”


“…and your leg?” The king asked with a raised eyebrow, confused.


“Will remain so. I seek no mending. I am worn…”


Yuuin stood in silence for a moment, still a bit perplexed but knew the drysiohn was a bit too proud to come to him for help. With a soft exhale, the king turned on his heel, motioning him to follow closely while leading him inside the warmth of the palace. Multiple lights illuminated the halls and Yuuin handed his lantern to a nearby guard to snuff out since he wouldn’t require it any longer. Saei did his best to keep quiet, using the stick the best that he could to keep up with the king’s strides. Both of them didn’t know what to say to the other…or more like didn’t wish to speak to the other and it made their small trip even more awkward.


Thankfully, they had reached their destination. The king turned to face him after coming up beside two large doors that could pass for his own personal quarters.


“These are the hot springs. You may use anything you find to your own satisfaction. There are fresh towels and even clothing inside as well so help yourself.”


Still being polite, despite the tense atmosphere around them, Saei lowered his head in a silent show of gratitude before slipping past him to open the door with his shoulder and entered to be finally to himself. Outside the doors, he heard the king leaving…


Fey was better…


He felt relieved at the thought…and fought off the desire to go and find her to see if it was true…but he shivered when he felt the cold dried mud still in his hair. He raised his eyes to look out across the expansive spring. Numerous rocks lined the outer edge as well as cutting across into the middle to give a sense of privacy to those who wished to bathe in peace with plants native to water growing alongside the rocks to make it seem even more hidden.


To the side were shelves of towels for all sizes as well as bathrobes to at least allow the wearer to have some decency to walk back to their room to change. Wincing slightly when he moved his leg wrong, still wanting to use it, Saei took his time to walk over to the shelves to retrieve the largest towel it had to offer along with a robe to slip into once he had finished. After draping them over his arm, Saei picked out a few bottles of lotion and herbal fragrances to hopefully rid himself of the smell.


He wasn’t certain where his brother would be…but even if he was in their room, it didn’t mean he would avoid him. Once he finished, he’d go and dress before finding Fey.


With a soft sigh, the dragon found a comfortable spot near the edge, dropping his belongings near the rock and had to prop his walking stick to the side. He balanced himself on one leg, using his tail if he needed, while slowly slipping off his vest. His nose wrinkled when the smell passed his nose again but threw the ruined clothing behind him before undoing his belt. With the belt gone, he scooted the pants off his hips, along with the brace, to pool at the floor at his clawed feet. The clang of his sword’s scabbard echoed softly throughout the room and it was soon followed by the undershorts, making no noise at all. Scales were present in splotches all over his body with a few running down his bare backside and along his legs and thighs.


He frowned when he glanced down at his knee. It was swollen…and looked crooked. It wasn’t normal but he could only hope the heat would help.


Being careful, Saei used his tail to help act like a second leg as he slipped into the water. Once he found his footing, he dove in completely and felt the weight from his injury falling off his shoulders since he had no use for it under the water. He didn’t even need to use his legs to propel him. His tail was enough to make him cut through the water to resurface. The caked mud was starting to melt away from his locks but he moved back to his rock to gather the bottles of herbal liquid and doused an entire bottle onto his head.

He wanted to rid himself of every speck.


As he lathered his hair, his silver eyes looked down at his reflection in the water…and couldn’t help…but wonder if Fey was worried about him? Would the king even inform her he had returned? Surely not…


What did Basil tell her…?


He shook the thoughts out of his head with a growl and scrubbed at his scalp before diving back under. The sound of the peaceful waters slushed about in his ears and he felt…a tiny bit comfortable once more. While under the water, he ran his claws through each inch of his hair to comb it through and no longer felt clumps of mud or grass. Resurfacing, he used another bottle to start washing off his body and face and was feeling cleaner. It would be enough to help him get some rest and he wasn’t smelling the swamp anymore. A few traces were stuck in his nose due to memory but he was now starting to smell flowers.


With his body now lathered, Saei ducked his head back under the water…to swim. His tail swayed side to side like a beast to move him forward. He missed swimming…


It wasn’t an all-time favorite thing to do…but he enjoyed it…back then.


Swimming with his brother…with Fey…


Was she still frightened of the waters perhaps? A bath didn’t count…but deep water where she could sink endlessly? He remembered feeling fear when he watched Basil pushing her in back when they were children. She didn’t come up. He swam with all of his might to reach her…and with his eyes open under the water, he saw the plea on her face to be rescued.


Saei resurfaced, breathing in some much-needed air, and swept his wet hair back away from his face to see where he was now.


He had put some distance between himself and his belongings to now be in the middle of the spring where the rocks threatened to join but in reality, made the other side of the spring a mystery. Feeling alone, Saei moved forward into the opposing side with the ripples of water trailing behind him and sure enough…there was no one but when he looked around the entire room, he had to do a double take when his eyes did spot…someone. To his right at the very edge of the spring…was Fey…sleeping. She must had been sitting on a hidden rock beneath the surface of the water for she seemed to be sitting…but her upper body was laying on the floor with her arms used as pillows. Thankfully to save himself from embarrassment, she was wearing a towel around her body…or else...he’d be seeing a lot more than he should.


Cautiously to not wake her, he swam over as tiny ripples crashed against her towel due to his movements but he came to a slow stop beside her.


He was tempted to wake her that moment…surprising her that he had indeed come back…but when he thought it over, he never had the chance to just…watch her be in the most peaceful state possible.


Sleep…


A soft smile came across his lips, noticing how what he said was true back in Treaish. Her tiny ears flicked occasionally and she snuggled into her arm more, exhaling deeply.


She looked better than when he left…which was good. The color had returned to her cheeks and she was breathing just fine.


Nervously, Saei reached down to gently use his claws to pick up pieces of her hair that had fallen onto her face to move them back, exposing her cheek and neck.


Seeing the skin…made his tongue tingle…with the memory of her blood…tasting ever so sweet…and he felt his eyes wanting to change but he bit his lower lip roughly to knock off the desire. With her still unaware of him, the dragon towered over her and leaned down to brush his lips against the side of her cheek. The soft contact made her ears twitch and she smiled in her sleep.


Whatever she was dreaming about…must be good but he remained close since the moment he left the springs…he’d have to face everything once more.


His brother…


Their journey…


His leg…


Here, he could move…and be near Fey without anyone interfering.


It probably didn’t look well on his part though…being nude…and…technically Fey was but the towel was the only thing shielding her but all he felt was relief to see her well again. The mere thought of her struggling for her breath made him growl lowly in his chest and he came to sit on the rock beside her, his large tail dragging beneath the water.


Should she be woken…? He was unsure how long she had been in the water…and too long was bad…but…he couldn’t stop his heart from sounding like a drum in his ears when he rested his large arm beside hers to silently just…rest.


His keen hearing heard her breaths…each one slow in slumber…


Remaining quiet like a spirit, his other hand tentatively brushed against her cheek and felt the soft skin underneath. She deeply inhaled with a soft moan and her increased heartrate only meant she was waking. It…probably was for the best. If she planned on sleeping, she should be on a bed and not here where one small slip could be tragic.


“Time to wake,” he whispered, hoping to stir her even more and at hearing his voice, her beautiful white eyes flew open in surprise. She nearly fell off the rock but Saei was quick when he saw her slipping and wrapped his strong arm around her waist to keep her steady. He was still sure to give her space…due to their situation but her eyes were quivering at seeing him before her…


Her lips parted…wanting to form any word or phrase to see if this was still a dream or not but the dragon smiled and placed his thumb over her lips to cease her from even trying.


“…no…you’re not dreaming…unless your mind conjures wicked thoughts…” he lightly teased and it seemed Fey finally noticed their situation. A fierce red blush first consumed her face before it was all drained to see his bare chest right before her eyes…leading down to his lean abdominal muscles.


“I’m sorry!” She yelled and within a blur gave him her back while fumbling on her words. “I w-w-wasn’t looking! I d-didn’t see anything but I wasn’t trying to either but then again I had nowhere else to look and nowhere to go and now I look like such a pervert.”


With her rant over with, a deep laugh sounded behind her followed by water slushing. Nervously, she peeked over her shoulder to see Saei leaving her side with his back to her.


“…dry off and dress, silly thing,” he told her and dove under, vanishing from her sight. Still a bit nervous, Fey quickly got out while clutching her towel to her body. It was soaking wet…and when she first got in, she was second guessing herself if she should wear a towel or not in case someone entered. Thankfully, she went with her gut…but…to see…Saei back…right before her eyes?! She smiled wide, feeling elated that he was well and she could ask him what happened…if he wasn’t too tired. Of all the places to wake up though.


Looking around again to make sure no one else was around during her time of being oblivious, Fey grabbed her dry towel and cautiously allowed her wet one to fall quickly to dry herself off. It wasn’t the best job for she mostly dried off her body and placed on one of the bathing robes. Her hair was still dripping wet along with her ears and tail but she felt dressing was more important than getting every last drop off. She breathed a sigh of relief, placing her wet towel to the side for the servants to come and clean them she guessed but still saw no sign of Saei. Did he leave her alone?


Frowning, she tightened the belt around her robe and kept her other towel around her neck to allow her hair to drip onto it while making her way to the rock.


“Saei?” She called out, touching the stony surface and wanted to peek around the corner terribly…but…what if he WAS still there? Gulping nervously, she breathed a few times before taking her chances and stepped around the corner of the rock. Seemed the gods were gracing her with luck for she caught him just in time tying off the belt of his black robe. Just like her, he kept a towel around his neck to keep his clothing dry from his hair but she frowned to see his horns still dripping wet. Did…he have trouble trying to dry?


What drew her attention the most though…was when he grabbed a hold of the nearby walking stick and used it to help walk over to her. It was then that she saw his left foot never touched the ground…and most of his weight went either onto his right, the stick, or his tail. Her heart plummeted at the sight. Was…this the extent of what Basil did?


“S-Saei…w-what hap-“


“Look at you,” he sighed tiredly, interrupting her but she looked up at him in confusion. “Can’t even dry properly,” he lightly chastised and kept himself balanced while placing the stick against his hip, as well as his sword that he had to carry, to reach for her towel. Before she could even speak, she blushed with closed eyes when he ran the towel over her hair, squeezing out more water and drying off her ears as well. Soft passes were made, smoothing back her hair little bits by little bits as if he was taking care of each strand with diligent care…and it made her even more nervous. Sid’s words from earlier surged forth…that she needed to start seeking her own happiness…for once.


Her eyes opened shyly to peek out from under the towel when there were openings in his movements to see his silver eyes reflected…nothing. They seemed bare…yet mysterious at the same time. She might as well be looking into a globe of water with specks of snow disturbed…but…she wanted…to see what was hidden beyond those eyes.


“Much better,” he informed her, draping the towel back over her shoulders and fixing her hair to lay over it. The strands slipped through his claws like water before he grabbed the walking stick and his sword once more.


“Can I carry it for you?” She asked, gesturing down to the sword since he had nowhere to thread it through…and she doubted he trusted it to someone else to take back to his room. Saei glanced down at his weapon, thinking for a moment.


“You do not need to-“


“I want to,” she smiled. “What? Think I can’t handle a weapon?”


The dragon huffed and held the hilt out for her. Wrapping her tiny claws around it, Fey instantly felt…something…like energy surging through the blade hidden within. She looked oddly at it before giving him her attention again.


“It’s…a bit late, isn’t it?”


“Early is more like it. The sun will rise within the next few hours. Doubt rest will come that easily,” he stated and turned to slowly head for the exit of the springs with her strolling along beside him.

“Yeah…might be a bit hard. I really wanted to leave as soon as we could…but rest is important. It is my fault everyone woke up in such a panic,” she smiled regretfully, watching as her robe flowed around her bare feet and saw his out of the corner of her eye.


“There is nothing to apologize for. It was at least wise that you remained among us and not alone.”


“…no one would had heard me…” She frowned softly with a slight sense of dread but shook it away to finally look up at him to see that he was looking forward. “…Saei, your knee…”


His long ear twitched and his eyes narrowed just slightly.


“…what of it?”


“Can…can I help…please?” She pleaded softly but like many times before, he refused with a shake of his head as they reached the door. “Why not?”


“Each time you use mending, you grow tired…exhausted…look at what happened,” he reminded her and carefully pulled open the door, holding it for her. She slipped out quickly so that he wouldn’t have to use a lot of his strength as he followed.


“But…I don’t want to have you be in pain.”


“Pain is nothing new.”


She frowned more, knowing she was basically trying to win a losing battle and sighed.


“You should rest in your own room tonight,” he suggested. “To allow yourself more time to heal without us bothering you.”


“None of you were a bother…but…I do feel like I could use a bit of privacy,” she agreed and remembered if she went back to sleep in their room, Basil would be there…and it’d just cause an awkward situation between them. Sid knew how she felt now which would also make it worse. “It’s this way,” she motioned down one of the halls and led the way but heard his soft footsteps behind her. Fey made sure to keep her pace slow just to lessen his pain as much as she could…and an idea slowly surfaced in her mind.


Biting her lower lip, she felt her heart starting to race at how…absurd it would be…but knew…this was what she needed.


If she kept thinking on it, she’d only back out. Her white eyes lowered to look at the scabbard in her hands…and never noticed before. It was scaled. It was completely black like night itself but when the lights illuminated just right, the scales sparkled and shined beautifully. Her claws ran across it slowly, feeling each ridge and ripple before touching the hilt. It felt…almost like a gemstone of sort…sleek and sheen but held no reflection…like some sort of endless abyss.


Curious, she gripped the handle to slide out the sword just a bit to see the deadly blade. The edges were sharp and kept well with care…but when she looked at the steel itself, she felt that energy again and could had sworn she saw something darkening…like a shadow coursing over the blade. It felt like eyes were on her that didn’t belong to Saei and when she sheathed the sword, it vanished.


She knew Saei was a shadow caster…always had been since she had known him. It really wasn’t a profession one could change. If it was so, then it was so.


“…where did you get this sword?” She asked, wanting to bring up a conversation and even slowed down to have him walking beside her again. She watched his eyes glance down at the sheath for a moment before forward again.


“I forged it myself back in Hulei.”


“So, you specifically made it?” Her eyes lit up a bit in amazement that he didn’t seem to notice.


“Yes. When the king had his soldiers train me more, I mostly used wooden swords or small swords. When I came of age, however, the blacksmith suggested I would do well with a large two-handed broad sword. I disliked the idea. It’d only slow me down so I went about forging my own…breathing my own shadow over it and into it to my liking. It’s lean and can reach, keeping me at a safe distance and allows for faster movement.”


“When it comes to fighting, you sure do enjoy it, don’t you?” She giggled after he gave her so much information but the tease made his cheeks flush in embarrassment as he looked away toward the lights on the wall.


“…it was all I knew back in Hulei…that and trying to find you,” he whispered but she smiled softly at hearing his words. The fluttering feeling in her stomach slowly left though when she spotted her door up ahead.


“…that’s it, right there,” she pointed with her ears folding back shyly. Saei spotted the door as well and emotionally felt himself retreating. The pleasant moments were over…and soon it’d be back to reality. If anything, he was sleeping and was now about to wake to face the harshness of the world. Keeping a stoic face but within his eyes was regret, he slowly came to a stop when Fey opened her door.


“I wish you a good night, Fey. If you should need us, do not hesitate,” he said and held his hand out, wanting his sword back but the mender held it closer with her cheeks growing even redder. He was confused until she braved to look up at him.


“…I know…I said I needed time for privacy…but…you wouldn’t be ruining it,” she silently hinted but the dragon tilted his head with his eyebrows creasing.


“What are you saying?”


“I...u-umm…” Her claws trembled against the sheathe and hoped that she wouldn’t make a fool out of herself. “C-can you…stay the…night…?” Her voice grew quieter after each word and she feared his reaction. Though she knew what was going on between them, it was still shrouded in mists. No physical words had been spoken, merely small actions and hints. She half expected him to say something along the lines of her needing rest without a nuisance nearby or…after everything that he went through he needed time for himself…and she was struggling by the second for an answer…


“I would love to,” his voice startled her and her ears stood straight up. When she raised her eyes, she lost her breath to see him smiling down at her.


“G-g-good,” she fumbled over her words and entered the room quickly, holding the door open for him to allow him in before closing it nervously. The dragon looked around slowly at the large room. It was much larger than what they had previously stayed in…and he didn’t need to even ask why. Of course, Yuuin would give her a large room of extravagance and give them a tiny room.


“Why don’t you sit on the bed?” She suggested, turning around to face him. “Your horns are still wet and they should be dried off.”


“…it is a bit difficult with them. Seems each passing day they grow larger,” he stated and took her up on her offer. It’d give his leg a break as well. Being careful of it, Saei went over to the edge of her bed to sit. He sighed at being able to relax and stretched out his good leg for putting up with him.


“Sooner or later you won’t be able to hold them up,” Fey teased to lessen her own nerves and came to stand before him, placing his sword down to the side for now before sliding the towel from under his hair. He huffed at her words, his eyes growing softer when she carefully used the ends to move along the grooves of his horns.


“I doubt they’d become that much of a nuisance.”


“Maybe instead of using your sword, you can start ramming your enemies,” she giggled, running the towel over the curves.


“Do I look like a sheep or ram to you?” He played along, looking up at her when he got the chance.

“You don’t sound like a sheep. You don’t go baaaa.” Her laughter was light as she finished by drying near the base of the horns and placed the wet towel on a nearby dresser which put some distance between them. “All done. Just ask for help whenever you need help with them,” she smiled back at him but frowned shortly after to see him standing with the help of the cane.


“I will consider it next time…but you should rest. I’ll take up a spot on the floor.”


With how bad his leg was? Surely not. It’d be so uncomfortable…even painful if he rested on the hard floor. Her nerves increased tenfold…


“You can’t possibly sleep on the floor, Saei.”


The dragon glanced down at the floor…and knew she was right.


“…perhaps a chair then?”


Fey sighed with a shaky exhale and hugged her robe closer when she went to the other side of the bed to sit down, looking over at him who still seemed confused.


“Y-you…can sleep on the bed…” she whispered but his cheeks darkened and even she could see it from where she sat.


“Pardon?”


“You h-heard me,” she pulled the covers back, slipping her legs and tail under but noticed him still standing there…almost hesitant. There was no way she would be able to say more but Saei deeply exhaled, placing his cane to the side near his sword and slowly sat back down on the bed. She felt her side cave in due to his weight but frowned when he brought his good leg up…and glared down at his injured one.


“We can prop it up,” she suggested, grabbing a few extra pillows that they wouldn’t need to place them down by his legs. Gritting his teeth, Saei tucked his arm under the useless limb and carried it over onto the pillow. He only winced softly but the cushion did feel nice, making the pain subside instantly.


“We’ll need to brace it before we leave…” She frowned. “…are you sure you don’t want me to…?”


“I want you to rest,” he whispered and laid back on the bed without even bothering to join her under the sheets. It was still a bit nippy outside…and certainly, it was coming into the room. Shyly, she moved the blankets a bit, scooting them out from beneath him to pull them up over his body. Saei raised an eyebrow at her.


“J-just making sure you don’t get cold…” She explained and laid back on her side, hoping the darkness in the room was hiding her red face…though the light from the moon wasn’t helping. She closed her eyes for only a moment…until she felt the bed shift. Before she knew it, Saei had maneuvered a bit to no longer be laying on his back…but on his side to face her…with his eyes piercing the darkness and he boldly pulled her closer with his large arm around her waist. She gasped cutely, finding herself resting in the crook of his arm which was dangerously close to his chest. The robe had opened a bit, still held together by the belt but a bit of his pectoral muscles showed.


“You invited me to stay…and then played innocent?” He whispered a taunt, his voice right above her and she gulped at being caught.


“I m-mean…I’m sure…you wanted space after everything…”


“From you?” He huffed and she felt all the blood rush to her face when his large tail curled under the blankets to find hers, wrapping around it almost possessively. “Such an absurd idea…”


“I d-didn’t know,” she whispered, trying to keep herself calm under the circumstances but felt the nervousness crack under pressure when his warm lips rested against her forehead. His heated breath blew slowly over her head, making her ears twitch.


“…you worried me…” he admitted and she frowned at his words. Her tiny claws rested on the front of his robe until her fingers moved off the cloth to rest against his chest. She could feel his heart, pounding against her fingers from his worry.


“I’m sorry…I need to be more careful. I know I’ve been overdoing it lately…with worrying…”


“You are not alone in this…” He pulled his lips back and she looked up to see him resting his head before hers, eyes swimming with adoration. “You need not seem as if you must keep everything inside. I am speaking only for myself…but I am your protector as you travel…my sword is yours.”


She blushed…but only out of the sweetness of his words…and she couldn’t help but smile.


“Saei…can…I know you want to protect me…but…for just tonight…you don’t need to be my protector…”


“No?” He lightly teased and tightened his tail even more.


“N-no…just…be the Saei I know…for tonight…”


“Is that what the mender wishes?”


She managed a small nod and watched his eyes growing brighter before he propped himself up a bit which moved her head off his arm to only have her lips captured softly. Her heart pounded in her chest at feeling the delicate touch again…and this time, she didn’t have to worry about anyone coming around the corner or stumbling upon them.


She pouted though when he pulled away with a chuckle, his long hair falling over his shoulder to tickle her own skin.


“You really should be resting…” he whispered but she shook her head and folded her arms defiantly.


“I’m not tired. I don’t want to sleep.”


“…is that so?” He chuckled again and placed tender kisses along the bridge of her nose but when he reached her forehead, he softly sighed which worried her.


“…something wrong, Saei?”


“No…I merely wish I could control time instead of shadow.”


“Why?” She curiously asked and closed her eyes shyly when his lips came back down, roaming over to her cheek.


“For I would stop this very moment…and be frozen in this place forever.”


Fey nearly felt her heart leap from her chest but smiled softly and placed the back of her claws against the scales on his cheek. It seemed to stop him for a moment.


“You make it sound as if this will be the last moment…it won’t be…I promise.”


Saei laid back down on his side, offering his arm for her to lay on which she gladly took and seemed to be laying even closer than before.


“Fey…traveling to Estyuin…will be a long trip…”


“I know…”


“…it’ll be harsh…dangerous…cold…”


“And at the end…it might not even be there,” she smiled sadly and felt herself growing a tad sleepy. Her eyes closed with her hands resting against his heated chest.


“But no matter the outcome…I will protect you…”


“I know you will…” Her voice grew softer as she yawned cutely and he smiled in the darkness while pulling the covers up to her chin to keep her warm. “…Saei…?”


“Hm?”


“Can you…tell me a story? I…kind of want to doze off…while listening to you,” she shyly confessed but it seemed tiredness made her speak her inner desires.


“I do not know any good stories,” he responded and rested his head beside hers, watching as she snuggled into his bicep.


“…make one up…”


“If that is what you wish…” He smiled softly and felt her tail swaying a bit with his own. “…a long time ago…in the worst possible snow storm you could imagine…was a small white cat. She was lost and cold…but she found herself stumbling upon a dragon. The cat had no idea what this thing was…but knew she would be safe. The dragon took her in, keeping her warm from the storm…but what he didn’t know was the white cat was lucky and valuable. When the storm stopped, people from miles around found out about the cat…and tried to bribe the dragon. One vendor stated…”I can give you gems beyond your wildest dream…if you hand over the cat.”


Saei watched her smile gently and he brought his free hand around to run his claws through her hair.


“The dragon refused. “No gems can outshine this cat.” Another vendor came along, sporting beautiful gowns. “I can give you the finest silk from around the world for the lucky cat.” Again, the dragon refused.”


Saei leaned forward to softly kiss her head and felt a small rumbling growl of a purr surface in his chest.


“Another man stepped forward…with gold. “I will make you rich for the cat.” The dragon turned away the gift once again.”


He pulled his face away only slightly to tilt her chin up a bit even though she was half asleep to softly kiss her again.


“…the last man came,” he whispered while pulling back to rest his head again beside hers. “He came with a large cane and crown...”I will make you king of the world for the cat.” The dragon turned away even the world. The vendors wondered why. Such a small thing and yet he held no desire for worldly possessions? Do you know what the dragon told them?” He asked and watched as her eyes opened slightly, looking up at him tiredly but smiling sweetly. “…the dragon told them…that the cat was far more precious…than any material mortals…spirits…or even gods could present to him.”


Fey’s smile widened as she closed her eyes again and rested her cheek against his chest this time, exhaling softly in content.


“…goodnight…my dragon,” she whispered and Saei felt his cheeks warm considerably and his heart race but he smiled handsomely, closing his own eyes as his claws continued to softly play with her hair.


“Sweet dreams, my mender.”



© 2017 Jensen Roman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

156 Views
Added on August 29, 2017
Last Updated on August 29, 2017
Tags: journey, adventure, violence, romance

Journey of the Mender


Author

Jensen Roman
Jensen Roman

Buford, GA



About
Hello! I am a 30 yr. old woman who is compassionate for writing, being imaginative and creating my own world. more..

Writing