Chapter 28: The Ticking Clock

Chapter 28: The Ticking Clock

A Chapter by Jensen Roman
"

The last day with King Yuuin turns into playful antics with the group but happiness doesn't last forever.

"

Chapter 28: The Ticking Clock

 

“So cocky! Honestly! He must had been hiding it all along and is now using it as a trump card or something.” Fey gripped the neck of her uiorl tighter, leaving the room the king had placed her in when she first arrived and now made her way down the hall toward his personal quarters…but how was she going to concentrate when a certain frustrating dragon was on her mind? Sighing softly, Fey did her best to try and push him to the side for now for if she kept thinking about what happened, she would never get rid of her blush.


‘I’m just glad I managed to stop this fear. I know what Yuuin said…and had been through…but that isn’t Saei.’


She could only hope the king saw it through her eyes and wouldn’t start anything. By now, Saei should be resting and she didn’t need Yuuin going after him again. She would also have to break the news that she did decide to leave and continue her journey. It wouldn’t make Yuuin happy, that’s for sure but she couldn’t stay here.


Raising her white eyes, Fey came to a halt right before the two large doors she remembered from earlier and softly knocked.


“Who comes to my door?” She heard his voice from the other side.


“It’s Fey! I came to fulfill my end of the deal,” she said and sniffed the air to smell something…sweet.


“You may enter.”


Being careful with her uiorl, Fey pulled open the door with a groan of a struggle since they were heavy and slipped in quickly to not be crushed. She exhaled deeply at being safe once more and looked up to see the room seemed similar…except…a few things were different. Out on the small pavilion she had sat last time with him to speak about his past was a small table with two chairs…and sweets ready to be eaten. The rain still fell outside, not as harshly as earlier but it was clear the king wanted to make everything perfect for her as he poured a small glass for her. The liquid was pink…and smelled even sweeter than the food.

Was he planning on getting her drunk?


She took a brave step forward just as he finished up and faced her with a gentle smile.


“I hope you do not mind if we dine as well. Nothing large but I had a few desserts made that I hope you enjoy. Do you have a sweet tooth?”


“I do,” Fey guiltily admitted and lowered her eyes as she came forward.


“I can have more made if you’d like,” Yuuin told her and moved the chair out for her.


“Goodness, no. I’ll be turning into a furry plump if I do,” she giggled and took the offered seat. The serpent chuckled and moved around her to take a seat across from her but had on a smile that said he wanted to please.


“You do not recognize any of these, do you?” He gestured to the sweets before her.


Fey took a quick glance at them. For one, they sure did look amazing. There were a few pastries doused in sugar and oozing with fruit filling while others seemed like hard crystals of all colors.


“…never seen them before.”


“I figured as much,” he softly smiled. “These are delicacies from Estyuin…or from what I remember in my childhood. I had my cooks prepare them to the best of my memory.”


“Really?” Her eyes lit up curiously as she looked back down at them. “Can…I have one?”


“Of course! I had them made just for you,” he smiled and rested back against his chair, hiding the need to chuckle more at her innocence when she cautiously reached out for one. The sweet smell only grew stronger as she took a small bite from the corner to have berry juice gush out. The taste alone was to die for, mixed with the added sugar and she couldn’t help the twitching of her ears and the wag of her tail as she took another bite.


“Seems my cooks will have to work overtime,” he teased and Fey stopped mid bite at his words to wipe off some of the powder from the sides of her lips timidly.


“I d-didn’t mean to look like such a swine.”


“I was not speaking poorly of your eating but if you enjoy them so much, more will be made during your stay.”


Yuuin wanted her to stay…


Now would probably be the best time to let him down softly. Swallowing the last bits of the pastry, Fey frowned while looking over at him.


“You will have to forgive me, your highness…b-“


“What happened to my first name?”


“W-well, I thought that…it should be proper if I’m to bring up the fact that…I can’t stay.”


The serpent’s eyes narrowed slightly but he remained dignified.


“May I ask why?”


“Of course, it has nothing to do with you or your home…but…something in my heart tells me that I just…need to go back home. I traveled so far and have come from so little that stopping here feels…wrong? I really don’t know how to put it,” she answered while placing her hands in her lap and could feel he wanted to dig deeper into the matter.


“…if that is the case, I could always take you in perhaps half a year’s time once I have prepared myself in the long run. Would that please you?”


‘He’s really wanting me to stay…’ Fey sighed mentally and lowered her eyes to her lap.


“Forgive me…but…I must decline.” Her ears flicked when she heard Yuuin deeply sigh and looked up to see him looking out at the rain, contemplating.


“It’s the drysiohn…isn’t it?” He bluntly asked and he knew the answer without her having to answer. Fey nervously looked to the rain as well as he continued. “A fellow mender…who can teach you abilities beyond your imagination…provide protection…a comfortable home…whatever you seek…but yet, you wish to traverse into territory which could end your life…with a man who can do the same.”


“Saei wouldn’t,” she calmly explained and Yuuin glanced over at her. “I just recently spoke with him…and he wanted to prove himself. I gave him a drop of my blood.” At the confession, the king’s eyes narrowed even more and she could had sworn she heard a hiss. “But Saei controlled it. He was okay.”


“A drop though. What if you become injured…? Or worse…to save your embarrassment, what every female goes through. What then?”


To be honest, Fey didn’t take into account those factors but she wasn’t going to let her fears or doubts rise back up. Saei had control and that was that.


“I know you are just looking out for me, your highness because I am also a mender and I’m really sorry what happened to your sister a long time ago…but…you have to understand that…no matter what I am told, I can’t change,” she said with honesty, frowning softly but saw Yuuin close his eyes with a look of defeat.


“I am not offering protection just for the sake of my sister…or that you are my kin…” He started and opened his eyes to look over at her. “If all of that is casted away, you are a kind and caring female from what I have observed so far. You hold a lot of faith in your friends…even stepping before that drysiohn to have me spare his life. That is courage. Not many would do that if a sword was at their face.”


“I care deeply for my friends. Saei and Basil I grew up with…and Sid is just like an idiot brother who likes to tease poorly. They’re all I have,” she smiled sweetly and curled her tail up to have it lay across her lap. “And I’m really grateful for the hospitality you have shown us. I know you hate Saei because of what he is…but I trust him. You are a kind king to allow him under your roof and I cannot thank you enough.”


Yuuin heard the genuine tone in her voice and couldn’t help the fond smile on his face.


“You truly are something. You could had lived here…take what room you wished…had everything at your fingertips…I would listen to you play…you could hear me putting out kind to shame with my playing…and you would be here with me. Two menders in such a dark and hateful world…” He sighed deeply as if fighting with himself. “…I could easily force you to stay…but what type of male would I be to imprison such a light?” Smoothing back his long locks, Yuuin smiled over at her.


“So be it. It seems I cannot argue with you on this matter any longer. Tomorrow, I will escort you and your comrades back to Tyeirk Farm to gather your belongings, pay for Tyeirks and you may be on your way.”


“Pay?! You don’t have to do that, your highness!”


“Yuuin…no more formalities with me from you,” he told her and gestured to her glass. “And I wish to. As a parting gift.”


Fey frowned softly, feeling terrible of being given such a grand gift but knew he would at least place his foot down on this one. She looked down to her glass cautiously, remembering the pink liquid. She lifted it to her nose to sniff. It smelled fruity.


“Is this alcohol?” She asked and the king chuckled softly while taking up his own.


“You think I would intoxicate you? If I wished to win you over fully, I wouldn’t use alcohol as a crutch to do so,” he took a sip from his own and Fey glared over at him due to the tease but took a small sip to taste only fruit juice that was a bit sweetened.


“To get on other matters,” she placed her glass down and licked off any excess. “You play?”


After he had another sip, Yuuin looked a bit sheepish as he placed it back on the table.


“Not a uiorl…but something else.”


“Can I hear?” She asked with a smile. Her joy started to become contagious and Yuuin found himself going against his better judgement of making a fool of himself as he rose from his chair with a smile. Fey watched as he gracefully walked to one of his wardrobes, his long tail trailing behind him and he retrieved a small looking harp…that had no strings.


“I’ve never seen that before,” she told him with a tilt of her head.


“Only a caster may play this,” he explained, taking his seat once more with the harp resting in the crook of his arm. “Energy must be used to produce the notes, hence why the hyaui is a bit difficult to play.”


“I’m sure you have a knack for it though.”


“I have not played in sometime though,” he shamefully admitted. “Had no reason to.” Closing his eyes to concentrate, Yuuin placed the fingers of his free hand near the hyaui and Fey was amazed to see a small glowing light forming within the center that pulsed. When he pulled his fingers away slowly, a soft note was played before more sweet notes followed with slight movements of his hand as if he was plucking strings when there were none. The light within the center dimmed and brightened depending on the pitch and to Fey’s ears, it was beautiful sounding. What was Yuuin saying when he couldn’t play? If anything, he was an expert.


A soft smile came onto her lips and couldn’t help but hum to the tune…as if somewhere within her heart, she knew the melody. She brought her uiorl onto her lap with the bow in her hands and started to match his melody.


The two instruments seemed to be in harmony and Yuuin opened his eyes curiously to see her playing along with him…smiling. The serpent returned the smile and made the melody of their combined song slower but she just adjusted easily with a giggle.


“You play beautifully,” he complimented.


“So do you…or…I guess handsomely?” She replied with a nervous smile, not wanting to offend but the king lowered his eyes while continuing to play.


“A shame…that you have come to such a decision. I quite enjoy hearing you play.”


Fey frowned at his words but perked up at an idea.


“Well, who knows what will happen. I can always travel back in a few years to visit,” she offered, making the king chuckle at the absurd idea of her backtracking in harsh conditions just to see him.


“If you do, a room will always be prepared for you.”


“With sweets?”


“Yes,” he laughed. “Plenty of sweets. Maybe then you’ll come to your senses and stay,” he suggested and she just grinned in return. She had no idea what the future held…or where it would even take her. So far, she had seen so many things that would only be memories once they started to cross into the snowfields…and it would hurt emotionally to not see them anymore…but Fey knew this was what she wanted.


“Well now that you’re playing again, you can start composing a song for when I come back to visit.”


“And you’ll listen?”


“Of course!” She giggled and felt the air around them getting lighter from their earlier conversation. This would be her last day here so for now, she would do what she could for her fellow mender to keep his mind off his own worries and doubts. She would help him conquer them just like she had. With her eyes closing, Fey continued to play and heard Yuuin matching her melody with his own as the rain outside grew softer.


 

 

“I WIN AGAIN!” Sid shouted at the top of his lungs for the entire world to hear and smirked as he pointed his finger at Basil. “The belt, gimmie!”


The feline huffed, already having lost his robe and undershirt, and undid the belt from around his waist to toss it into Sid’s pile of clothes while bringing his cards back up.


“…remind me again…why we are playing this?”


“It’d be more fun with a female around,” he shrugged and heard a deep growl from over by the bed. The hare looked over to see the dragon looking annoyed with his choice of words while trying to rest. “Oh, come on, don’t tell me you wouldn’t play.”


“I have more decency then to play a moronic game of cards to strip someone.”


“Well your brother is already halfway there,” Sid chuckled, looking over at Basil’s miserable state of apparel. The feline was never good at card games…and was losing. It wasn’t even his idea! Sid had woken him up, stating he was bored and forced this onto him.


Saei had returned during the middle of it, looking confused but laid on the bed to try and seek some rest. Trying wasn’t good enough though and with all the commotion, the dragon was forced to stay awake and listen to their ramblings.


“It was your stupid idea to even play!” Basil snapped at him, his ears furled back since all he had left on were his pants and undershorts while Sid remained fully clothed.


“Hey! I never twisted your arm to play. I could tell how bored you were so you fell for the game to pass the time.”


“We’re all waiting for Fey to get back so what else were we to do?”


“Exactly! So play,” Sid smirked, pushing the deck to him to have him shuffle as he turned his eyes back onto Saei who had his eyes closed.


“So, Mr. Broody, back onto you. You wouldn’t play with a female present?”


“No,” Saei growled out and pressed his ear to his arm.


“You’re so stiff. You know what you need? A night on a town. Drink, have a girl loosen you up. Goodness.”


Saei growled louder and without warning, swung his tail around to nearly collide with the hare’s head if he didn’t duck in time.


“See?! That’s your problem! You’re too tense.”


“Sid, leave him be before he kills you,” Basil sighed and dealt the cards but wouldn’t had really cared if his brother taught him a lesson.


“You two are so uptight…I’d rather be playing with little Fey,” he teased and both Basil and Saei glared at the hare but before either of them could be at his throat, the door opened slowly and Fey walked in with a tired sigh followed by a yawn behind her hand. When she looked upon the scene in the shared room though, she was utterly confused to see Basil half nude.


“Ah! There’s my lovely wife!” Sid bolted to his feet and leapt over Basil to grasp one of her hands but Fey growled to knock him upside the head.


“Ow ow ow!” He held the area where a bump would surely form as Fey closed the door to glare at him.

“Stop being such an idiot and I wouldn’t have to hit you,” she threatened and stepped around him to see the cards laid out as well as the pile of clothing. At his current state, Basil’s cheeks blushed a bit as he reached over to grab his clothing to dress.


“…what were you guys doing?”


“Dying of boredom,” Basil answered, tightening his belt.


“Stripping. You missed quite the show,” Sid also answered but chuckled when Fey sent him another look.


“Well I’ll have you all know we’re leaving tomorrow morning so you won't be bored anymore.”


“Really?” Basil turned to face her, a bit excited since he felt too cooped up in this palace. Saei pushed himself up on the bed, wondering as well what she meant.


“I told King Yuuin that we need to keep traveling so tomorrow morning, he’s going with us to the farm so we can gather our things and he’ll buy us tyeirks for the road ahead.”


“…really? Damn,” Basil itched his ear. “Sounds a bit generous.”


“Too generous. What did he want in return?” Sid asked, arms folded over his chest.


“Nothing,” she shrugged. “We talked and I know being a mender as well he’s concerned for me but I reassured him that this is my choice.”


“That a girl! Guess we’re calling it a night then to get a fresh start?” Sid relieved Basil of the cards, placing them on the dresser to take with them in case they got bored elsewhere but Fey nodded with a smile.


“That’s the plan. It’s going to be a long trip to the next town so we’d best rest up.”


“Sounds good,” Basil stretched his arms above his head to crack them while Saei left the bed, motioning to Fey that it was now hers. Forgetting up until now what had happened between them, Fey tried to stay calm but a faint blush appeared.


“Saei you can have the bed. You still need to heal.”


“I will be fine on the floor. Take the bed,” he told her with a soft look that she would only be able to discern but she shyly sat down on the edge.


“…do you really expect us to sleep in these robes?” Sid asked, finally seeing the situation of three males sharing a room with one female. Fey huffed softly and pulled back the covers.


“Do what you want. I’m not looking.” She surely wasn’t going to undress, no matter how uncomfortable it was but when she laid down, she heard the rustling of clothing.


“Now that feels better!”


“Just don’t sleep close to me.”


“Who would want to? Do you know how close you’ve been to smacking me in the face while you slept?”

“It’s a shame I’ve missed.”


Fey smiled against her pillow at their banter and couldn’t wait to get back onto the trail but her eyes peeked out to spot Saei removing his robe to be able to sleep. She could had sworn her brain fizzled out for a moment when she saw his broad chest decorated by more scales as he folded his robe.


“Look at Mr. Broody finally stripping,” she heard Sid say from the front of her bed and Saei glared down at him, his tail tensing behind him.


“How have you lived this long and no one has killed you?” The dragon asked and made himself comfortable by the window. Fey could barely see him but did spot his shoulder and hip when he laid on his side.


“Eh, you know you guys love me. Right?”


The entire room fell silent and Fey had to bite her lip not to laugh but she couldn’t help it.


“Wow…I see how it is. Fine. I’ll just sleep then. Goodnight, Fey!”


“Night, Sid,” she giggled and did her best to quiet down.


“Goodnight, Basil.”


“Are you going to be like this all night?” Basil replied, sounding like it came from near the other side of her bed behind her.


“No! Just wishing everyone a good night since I’m polite.”


“…fine if it’ll shut you up. Night, Sid.”


“Thank you. Night, Broody.”


Fey smiled wider when she heard a growl.


“I’ll take that as a goodnight.” Hearing a yawn following his words, Fey figured her friends were slowly falling asleep and she was content having them near. After everything they had gone through, small moments like these were precious. The mender pulled the covers closer to her nose, feeling tiredness taking over.


“…night everyone,” she told them before they fully slipped away from her.


“Night Fey. Sleep well,” Basil wished her, his voice sounding a bit worn out. Probably dealing with Sid while she was gone.


“Sweet dreams, kitten,” Sid followed suit, yawning silently and no matter how much of a nuisance he was, Fey did enjoy having him with them.


“See you in the morning, Fey,” Saei whispered tiredly and she smiled wider with her heart calming down to soon fall asleep while listening to the sounds of the storm outside.


 

 

A few hours had passed to turn from dusk to full night. The storm still raged outside with a few rumbles of thunder every now and then. The room lit up with lightning darting across the sky like an angry serpent looking for a quick kill but other than that, it was fairly quiet. The palace flickered with lights in the halls for any servant who worked into the night.


Saei was sleeping soundly and had fallen asleep rather quickly earlier. The last thing he heard was Fey wishing them a pleasant night and just as he returned the same desire, he succumbed to his slumber. Sleeping on the floor wasn’t the most…comfortable arrangement but he’d much rather let Fey have it. For now, he would do with sleeping on his side. His tail lazily swayed in his sleep and his long ear twitched when he heard rustling. Possibly someone turning over so he paid it no mind.


He silently yawned, baring his sharp fangs before he curled back into his bulky arm which was his makeshift pillow to try and fall back to sleep. The rustling came again…and he heard the soft stepping of feet.


It was probably nothing…


Maybe one of his comrades had to get up to stretch sore muscles. As long as they didn’t disturb anyone. The small steps passed by him…and when they did…he could had sworn he heard something along the lines of shallow breathing but a loud rumble of thunder blocked out the noise.


Growling lowly at the disturbance, Saei deeply exhaled to clear his mind of anything. Only the sound of rain was heard, along with some soft snoring from his comrades but he was thrown completely out of his need for sleep when he heard a thud coming from his left. Saei quickly sat up, adjusting his eyes to the darkness of the room as well as his other senses…and that’s when he heard more.


Shallow breathing…almost suffocating…


His silver eyes darted around worriedly. Basil’s tail swayed from where he could see…and Sid was also sound asleep…but the bed…was empty. The blankets were tossed back…


The feral stood to his feet and followed the noise to the washroom, only to pale in fear at seeing Fey laying on the floor struggling for a breath.


“Fey?!” He instantly knelt beside her, not caring for his knee and lifted her onto his lap. Her white eyes were closed with her lips parted, trying to take in some much-needed air. “Fey, look at me!” He demanded with an urgent voice but Fey’s breathing only grew quieter. Anything could be seriously wrong with her but he whipped his head around to the open door.


“WAKE UP!” He roared and could tell his comrades were forced awake, bumping their heads against dressers or the bed.


“What is your problem!?” Sid grumbled, rubbing his face as he stumbled into the washroom but when he regained his sight from sleep, he softly gasped to see Fey trying to catch her breath.


“W-what’s wrong with her?!”


“Get Yuuin! Now!” Saei barked out the order, turning his attention back to Fey to lay her down on the floor to keep her comfortable but her skin was beginning to feel cold against his claws.


“O-on it!” Sid rushed around the corner as Basil came in worriedly.


“How long had she been like this?”


“I have no clue. Gather blankets now for her.”


Basil obeyed his brother, tearing off the sheets from the bed and bringing them back to help Saei wrap her up to keep her warm.


“She can’t be sick…she was fine earlier…” Basil frowned, looking terribly afraid but he looked to his brother for answers…to see that even his older kin had no idea what was happening. In his mind though, there was only one answer that frightened him more than anything. Saei harshly bit his lip to draw blood as gently touched Fey’s cheek.


“Fey…stay with us…keep breathing…” He told her, his voice bordering on pleading.  Wanting to keep the mender conscious, Basil took her hand to join his brother.


“We’re here with you. Sid went to go get help so just hang on.”


It pained them both to hear her raspy breathing as if someone had their hands around her neck to choke her.


“Fey…open your eyes…come on…” He was now begging but didn’t care. He had never been so frightened before. Even if the worst possible creature stormed at him and sliced his entire chest open, so be it…but to see Fey looking so weak and frail without a definite reason why made his heart speed up to the point where it was about to burst.


Taking in a deep breath, Fey managed to open her eyes slightly and he could see the beautiful white shining through but was dimming like the sun being blocked out by clouds.


“There you go! You’re strong! Just hang in there!” Basil praised but Fey felt her throat closing and her eyes wanted to close. Basil was so concentrated on her that his brother was no longer existent.


Saei’s claws cupped her cheek closer, pleading with her silently not to lose sight of them and he couldn’t handle it any longer. With his brother near, the dragon parted his lips to mouth a phrase to her. Simple and short but when he said it, his heart plummeted when her eyes closed again…and Fey had stopped breathing. 



© 2017 Jensen Roman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

She better be alright :( Love Sid by the way but still this is a cliffhanger I can't handle!

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

109 Views
1 Review
Added on August 22, 2017
Last Updated on August 22, 2017
Tags: journey, adventure, violence, romance

Journey of the Mender


Author

Jensen Roman
Jensen Roman

Buford, GA



About
Hello! I am a 30 yr. old woman who is compassionate for writing, being imaginative and creating my own world. more..

Writing