Chapter 13: Touch of Scales

Chapter 13: Touch of Scales

A Chapter by Jensen Roman
"

A small moment of peace between those reunited.

"

Chapter 13: Touch of Scales

 

          This was certainly not his specialty…and it only made him feel a tad…uneasy. It probably would had been more comfortable if Fey had accompanied him to make it less awkward…but her health was far more important than his comfortability. Gathering the items he needed wasn’t even the issue…it was the fact that he was seen purchasing things for a female. Of course, if anyone speculated they were for him, the clothing would easily rip into shreds if he even tried to put his arms through…so then it looked like he was buying them for…

 

Saei shook his head to try and not let a blush rise in his cheeks as he continued to take his time, searching for things Fey needed…or possibly wanted. He already marked clothing off his mental list. He found a beautiful white gown that had frills near the bottom and on the long sleeves with a matching pair of laced up sandals. It would be comfortable to travel in but on a side note if the gown did get damaged, he made sure to get at least three for the journey north.

 

Food was put on hold for now since he could always bring a few back to his room from the inn which left his arms open for more possible purchases. The dresses were already slung over his arm as his eyes scanned the busy marketplace for anything that would catch his eye. Jewelry? Fey didn’t seem to be the type to adorn herself with a lot…but he did spot a gorgeous looking bracelet made purely of light blue pearls, bordering onto grey. Something small wouldn’t be so bad, would it?

 

The feral vendor saw him eyeing the merchandise and smiled while waving him over. “Anything interesting you, stranger?”

 

“How much for the pearls?”

 

“Those? I’ll sell it for five gold coins but I can throw in this necklace to match for an additional three.” The dragon pondered for a moment but it seemed the vendor was trying to sweeten the deal even more by pointing at the dresses. “If those are for a lovely lady, then they would match perfectly.”

 

Was he really trying to dress up Fey…? Unable to hide the small fluttering in his stomach, he did recall her messy gown back in Hulei. Playing on the dirt and dusty roads would of course ruin her outfit…so it might had been a long time or even never since she dressed up to make herself look beautiful. It’d be a small thing she could enjoy before they left. Saei fetched out his coin satchel to lay down ten gold coins for the vendor who looked at him in surprise.

 

“I only asked for eight, good sir.”

 

“Keep it,” Saei told him and gathered up the bracelet and necklace in his claws to hide them away in his pant pocket but the man stopped him before he could go.

 

“I would feel bad accepting more money than I asked for. Perhaps my daughter can give you something for free?” The feral smiled and looked back to see his little girl taking a break it seemed from trying to sell her merchandise by laying behind him. “Sweety, this gentleman would like to buy from you,” he told her and the little girl perked up, her floppy ears bouncing around as she stood to carry her basket with her toward Saei. She only came up to his knees and had a basket filled with flowers and charms.

 

“Would you like one?” She asked cutely, holding up the basket as high as she could so that he could reach without having to bend down and her father smiled.

 

“Each flower has a meaning, as do the charms. You look like a traveling sort so I would suggest a charm that brings luck or fortune…unless you are looking for something specific,” he came around his table to push aside some of the flower stems. “…who is the dress for, may I ask?”

 

“A friend…” It was all Saei was going to give him but the feral knew better and gave him a knowing look.

 

“A lady friend, I’m sure. Say no more! I know just the two.” He pushed aside some more and pulled out a small charm that had two birds at the top with their beaks touching and wings back to form…what Saei saw as a half heart. It wasn’t fully complete and dangling from their tails were two blank pieces of paper.

 

“This one is special for both you and your partner can write down a fortune for one another.”

 

Partner?! The Imperial could feel the scales on his cheeks heating up as he parted his lips to correct the vendor on this matter but the little girl seemed to chime in as well, pulling out a beautiful flower that had many petals and from where he stood, smelled delightful.

 

“I’m afraid you are mistaken,” Saei attempted to defend himself when the feral tied the flower to the charm. “We are not mat-“

 

“Yet anyway,” the vendor winked and pushed the flower charm into his hand. “Thank for stopping. I’m sure she will love these gifts.”

 

“Thank you,” the little girl smiled wide up at him, making Saei only more nervous at knowing he now had to bring these to Fey. He couldn’t just…toss them. He could but…not when these innocent ferals worked hard on making them. The dragon sighed mentally but bowed his head in gratitude before moving on with the charm in his claws, not wanting to damage the flower.

 

Would Fey even like this? He curiously looked down to see the two birds once more but turned his eyes back onto the street when he felt his heart miss a beat. The only remaining thing he needed…was an uiorl…or something close to it. It would be another way for her to relax and take her mind off the matters of the world around her. To forget about being hunted…well…no longer after he had his talk with Yhisin…but that didn’t mean the king would give up so easily.

 

It would be a chance for Fey to do something she loved…and she even told him she had missed playing so if he could give her back this desire, it would mean a lot to her. His glowing eyes kept searching, looking from one vendor to the next for any signs of instruments…but so far…there were none. Perhaps no one sold those types of things here…since there was plenty of music already in the city.

 

Time was already slipping faster than he would had liked, the warm sun moving past the halfway point in the sky to begin setting and his quest seemed hopeless. He might be returning to the inn without it. Sighing, he turned to head back but heard a small string being plucked. Even if it wasn’t a uiorl…it might be something Fey could use. He turned back around to see an older lady sitting at a table with a pile of cards and without any customers present…was playing a stringed instrument. It wasn’t exactly a uiorl…at least not one he was used to seeing…but it was still able to sit in her lap and be played with a bow.

 

Saei walked over to her, casting a shadow over her to gain her attention.

 

“Pardon me, ma’am but how much is that instrument?”

 

“…I was not planning on selling it, young feral.” It wasn’t the answer he had hoped for and took a seat before her, placing the gowns over his lap with the flower on top. He wasn’t going to leave without it.

 

“How much could I interest you in to part with it?”

 

“Hmm…well…you are a bit too young for my tastes…handsome though so I could look past that,” she grinned, her cheeks wrinkly and Saei felt a sense of dread as his pointed ears twitched a bit at the thought of this…old lady trying to flirt with him but she laughed lightly behind her hand. “Oh, you poor boy, I was teasing. I wouldn’t ruin your life like that.”

 

Mentally, Saei released an exhale of relief and watched as she plucked another string.

 

“Who would it be for? You don’t look like the…playing type.”

 

“A friend,” he merely said but the older human drew her eyebrows together with a huff before closing them and kept playing. “You are a terrible lair.”

 

Saei’s pupils turned into slits at the accusation. “…what makes you believe that?” The human woman opened her eyes to smile over at him gently. “For I have seen lies from men…heard lies…from men…you might as well brand yourself with a red flag when you try to tell a fib.”

 

The dragon felt his jaw tighten slightly and he moved his purchases off his lap to get ready to leave this old crone but she laughed again and motioned from him to remain.

 

“Just because you are a liar about one thing…doesn’t mean you are truly lying about everything…and that also doesn’t mean that I will keep this instrument forever.”

 

“What do you mean?” He asked and the human placed the uiorl down for a moment to the side to take her cards into her hands.

 

“A few of my last customers have told me that my fortune telling is a lie all together. I want to prove them wrong. So…instead of telling your future…I will tell you who you are…if you openly admit to these and that I am right…I will give you the uiorl…free of charge.”

 

“…and if I do not admit?” He challenged and she shrugged.

 

“Then you may live in denial without the uiorl. Sound like a deal?” She smiled over at him. If it would get her to hand over the instrument, he would play her game. He wasn’t a believer in silly cards telling destinies or fortunes…how could they when it could change in a heartbeat? The lady spread out the cards before him.

 

“Choose five and state your name.”

 

His claws reached out, randomly pulling five out from the group. “…Saei.”

 

“Alright, young Saei…let us see who you are…” She pushed the excess cards away and took his first card to flip it over. It showed a boat on rocky waves but was upside down.

 

“Hmmm…you have come from far away…not from around here that’s for sure. It could be further north or across the seas but you are a long way from home…but being upside down means that your childhood was not in this original home…so you grew somewhere else not native to you,” she looked over to him to see if his eyes told the truth of her fortunes or was he trying to hide it? Saei let out a small sigh but nodded since it wasn’t that major of a fortune.

 

“Splendid. Onto the next one,” she smiled and flipped it over to reveal two rams with horns locked in a brutal battle. “Odd…you have conflict with someone close. Maybe not physically but perhaps mentally or emotionally? It could be a loved one…relative perhaps…but since the card is upright, the quarrels will die down and being two rams, it only means that you do not hate this person. You are very attached to them, despite your differences.”

 

She could only being describing Basil…the brother who broke his knee…who thought he was stealing everything from him…when in all reality…Saei just wanted to belong. Saei cared not for being a prince like Basil…or gaining father’s approval. He only wanted to live…and be his brother…as best as he could despite who he was. He was always stronger…but…Basil was different than he…in both body and spirit. Basil was agile, drawing out a battle with wit and taunts…while he was ferocious and wanted to end it quick. He never meant to say such harsh things as well…even if they were the truth. Basil would continue to be his brother…in spirit, not by blood…

 

His eyes lowered slightly in thought and the fortune teller smiled to see it was true.

 

“Let us see what the next one holds.” Her wrinkled fingers flipped over the next one. It was a pair of black bat like wings shielding whatever was hiding behind.

 

“There is a secret you are hiding that can damage someone close to you…and you are frightened of what the outcome would be if this secret were to be known…” Her sentence trailed off as Saei raised his eyes once more.

 

“It is my personal business,” he defended, waiting for her to ask about him but she laughed lightly with a wave of her hand.

 

“I care not what it is…but as long as you know,” she told him and turned over the fourth card. It was an image of a full moon overlapping the sun. “The moon symbolizes faith and loyalty, following after the sun in the sky. It is not harming the sun, but protecting it. This also means doubt. Something in your life upsets you…possibly something you dislike or disagree with,” she turned her gaze back over to him. “…do you hate what you are, young feral?”

 

At the question, his eyes bore into hers and they remained in silence for a moment but he might as well be an open book to her. “Maybe it’s not because you are a feral…it depends…if something in life happened all because of what you are…but you do dislike yourself,” she finished, pushing all the cards away except for the last one. “Have I been right so far?”

 

Saei inhaled deeply while looking away, not really wanting to admit her claims but each statement she said did hit the nail on the head. When he exhaled, he looked back over to her. “…finish the last card,” he told her and with a serious look, she turned it over before smiling softly at what she saw. It was two blossoming flowers with stems curled around each other.

 

“Ever-lasting love. You hold someone dear to your heart…and they have been there for a very long time…childhood? Young adult? It matters not. Whoever this person is, you cherish them more than life itself,” she smiled over at him only to see Saei grabbing his things to stand with a slight glare.

 

“The last card is a mistake.”

 

“Is it? Or are you lying to yourself…? You are a book, young Saei…but what you need to know is this. You only get one chance at life…there are no seconds…or more tries…you only have this one chance to live…with how you decide to live it. If your heart feels one way…why is your brain and mouth telling you to live another way?” Saei glanced down at the card once again as she continued.

 

“…that goes for this person as well. They only have one life…it could be short…could be long…it can be altered at any second now…someone else could come into their fortune to steal yours…if this card is in your favor…why give it to someone else?”

 

The Imperial stood there for a moment longer but turned his head away, about to head back to the inn but he heard something plop down on the table. He looked back to see the uiorl was being pushed toward him by the smiling lady.

 

“I think I can part with it…even though you were a bit stubborn at the end.” Saei glanced down at the instrument in thought and wrapped his claws around the neck. “Do not lie to yourself…you may lie to others and get away with it…but your mind knows better,” the old lady bowed her head to him with a tender smile. “I can tell you will have a bright future.”

 

Bright future? Is that what she saw? He was terribly skeptic about her claims but glanced back down at the purchases for Fey. Beautiful gowns…pearls…sandals…and lastly the uiorl…it was all she needed. Saei turned his eyes down toward the older lady one last time, bowed his head in gratitude for the instrument, and went on his way back to the inn. Once he was out of earshot range, the older woman smiled. “Oh, to be young again.”

 

He had possibly been gone for at least…thirty minutes? That should have given her more than enough time to finish bathing and have a moment to herself.

 

“Rial?” A voice called from up ahead and he instantly knew who it was without having to look but it was a good thing that he ran into Yhisin now and not later like he had planned.

 

Looking up from his purchases, Saei saw the fox running to him with a hopeful look but when he saw him up close now without his mask, he looked a bit confused. The fox’s lips parted, obviously wanting to ask about it but he also saw all the dresses.

 

“You…went shopping?” He asked with a raised eyebrow.

 

“I found the mender…these are for her to travel in.”

 

“I see…and the flower charm?” He pointed with his claw and curled his tails curiously to see his friend looking elsewhere.

 

“A merchant pushed that onto me.” It was a sad attempt to defend himself for Yhisin seemed to be slowly catching on.

 

“…and the uiorl is for you I take it?”

 

With a small growl, Saei could only give a look that told him silently to drop it. The fox chuckled with a hand on his hip.

 

“So…where is she…if you found her?”

 

“Back at our inn where she can be under a better watch.”

 

“And when do we depart? Now? I can gather our belongings as soon as you need me to.” Saei shook his head at the idea.

 

“We will leave early in the morn. At this time, the mender still needs rest before we travel or else her health will falter more. For now, I will be her caretaker until she is well enough to cross the fields.”

 

“Do you need any assistance? Where is her sad excuse of a companion?”

 

“His whereabouts in the city are unknown. All I did was leave behind a note where the mender stayed to inform him he was relieved of duty.”

 

“Wonder how he will take that…” Yhisin smirked with a soft chuckle but Saei took a step forward to stand beside the fox.

 

“It matters not…but for now, do as you please and we will need another room since she has taken ours.”

 

Yhisin’s ears drooped with a sigh and he rummaged through his coin pouch. “We have enough for that…but we’re running dry. When we reach the pass, we might have to find a way to earn ourselves gold…or we will have to hunt like animals and sleep on the cold ground.”

 

“If it comes to that, we will deal with the cards given,” Saei told him and smiled slightly when the fox whimpered.

 

“Goodbye warm beds…” he placed the back of his hand to his forehead dramatically.

 

“Cease acting like a spoiled pup or maybe it will be a permanent way for us to camp.”

 

“Aww, you’re no fun,” Yhisin huffed and looked back toward the heart of the city. “I suppose I will try and find something to occupy myself. Return before dawn?”

 

“That would be best,” he answered and placed a hand on his shoulder before resuming his trip. It was still a weight on his shoulder, remembering his friend’s plight. There had to be a lot of faith when it came to matters of his pup. Inwardly, Saei was grateful.

 

Sighing slightly, the Imperial finally reached the inn and stepped in to head to his room. He knocked five times, just as he had told her he would, and it only took a few seconds to hear soft footfalls approaching.

 

“Coming!” Her cheery voice was heard past the door and Saei fought a smile at hearing her seeming better. Slowly, the door opened and her claw hand came around the corner.

 

“Clothes?”

 

“You at least have a towel, correct?” He asked and handed over the gowns, sandals and jewelry, keeping the uiorl and charm for now.

 

“Yeah but I’m all wet still and look like a mess,” she snatched the purchases and quickly shut the door in his face, leaving him standing there confused…but he sighed with a grin.

 

Inside the room, Fey released an exhale of relief that Saei didn’t see her. The towel she wore only stopped at mid-thigh and she blushed at the thought of him accidentally coming in to see her in such a state.

 

Placing the clothes down for now on the bed, Fey untied the towel from around her bosom to hang it back up in the washroom before returning to see what Saei had gotten. She gently separated everything and felt her heart swell at the sheer beauty of it all.

 

The feline placed the undergarments on first, which were thankfully hidden within the gown before feeling the soft material.

 

It was soft…light…but she knew it would be comfortable to travel in…unlike Sid’s baggy clothing. With a smile, she slipped it over her head and brought her hair out from within which was still a bit knotted from her bath.

 

With the fabric touching her skin, she felt…pretty. Her caretakers back in Hulei never gave her anything this nice. The frills at the ends of the dress flowed with her movement, even the tiniest step made the fabric look almost like water as she smiled wider with a soft giggle and touched the sleeves fondly.

 

“I love this,” she whispered and looked next to the sandals. Fey plopped down on the bed and slipped them over her feet, lacing the strands around her calf to help it stay on. Lastly, were the pearls. She stood once more, placing the bracelet onto her left hand and touched each individual pearl. It only made her wonder how hard it must had been to retrieve them. After snapping the necklace into place, she let her claws fall to look down at herself and only grew a tad nervous to look so elegant…at least in her eyes.

 

‘…I wonder what Saei will think…wait…I slammed the door in his face!’ She went over with a worried look, swinging the door wide open to see Saei leaning against the wall patiently for her to finish but he raised his eyes to see that she had…

 

His silver eyes slowly widened…and he felt the breath seep out from him with no chance of returning.

 

“It’s…really pretty…” Fey smiled, touching the hem of her dress to try and break out of the shyness. “And it feels really comfortable. I appreciate what you’ve done. I hope it didn’t cost too much…if so…I’ll try and repay you when I can.” It seemed the feline had no idea what was going on with him for all he could hear was his heart beating so loudly in his head, he was frightened it would explode. The same mender…who was being abused by thugs back at Hulei…and nearly used as a plaything by men here…now looked so radiant…and almost ethereal…just like how a mender should be. A pure and untainted being…giving life…and taking if necessary...

 

Here she was…standing before him when he thought in all his dreams he’d never see her again…but pushed past his limits...with sweat…tears…and blood…just to find her.

 

“…does…it not look okay?” She took his silence as a sign of disgust and frowned while folding her hands before her. “I probably don’t do the dress justice…”

 

Her self-conscious words snapped him out of his daze to blink it away and found himself staring down at her to see her frown of wanting to get his praise. With his heart still running rampant like some wild beast, Saei forced his eyes off her the best that he could to look down the hall toward the food still laid out. “…the dress…does not do you justice…” he whispered but her tiny ears heard it all the same.

 

No words of appreciation passed her lips…for it felt she couldn’t find her voice. Clearing her throat, all she managed was a nervous smile and nodded her head in the best way to say thank you that she could.

 

“…here,” he glanced back down at her for a moment to hand over the charm and uiorl which made her eyes widen that he had found one. “I will retrieve some food for you.” He bowed his head slightly, eyes leaving her form to briskly walk down the hall to put some distance between them but Fey retreated back into the room with a soft sigh.

 

“…what is this?” She sat back down on the bed, looking at the charm curiously. The birds were cute…but…there was nothing written on the charm…which was odd. Maybe it was some joke…she would have to ask Saei when he returned but she smiled when she put away the charm to bring the instrument onto her lap. It felt…so natural…with her fingers touching the bow and holding it to her like an infant.

 

She just couldn’t wait…and started to run the bow along the strings to play the melody that she knew by heart. It was soft and gentle…and for once since she left Hulei…she felt she could just allow time to stop to enjoy this one small moment. She still felt guilty…if Basil and Sid were running about trying to look for her and it reflected in her playing for she missed a note that threw the song off.

 

“You are not focusing,” a voice told her and she looked over to see Saei standing in the doorway with a large bowl filled to the brim with food.

 

“A lot is still on my mind…” she smiled apologetically, watching as he closed the door behind him and set the food down at the nearby table.

 

“Come and eat.”

 

“…isn’t that too much for me?”

 

“Whatever you do not finish, I will.”

 

She frowned slightly and looked back down at her new uiorl. “…can…I keep playing? I’ve been dying to…and…I did promise if you found one, I would play.” Saei eyed her food for a moment but wouldn’t argue with her. If this is what she wanted, then so be it. As long as she relaxed and was feeling better. The dragon took up a seat under the window, removing his sword to prop it beside him and closed his eyes with a deep exhale. It was a time for him to relax a bit too since he hadn’t stopped to just catch his breath ever since they left…and his long ears twitched when he heard her playing once more. The song she played…was the one he enjoyed most as a boy and he felt his breathing slowing down.

 

“…I don’t mean to disturb you…but…is it alright if…I ask my questions now? If not, I understand.”

 

“…I did make the promise as well…” his voice was softer with his eyes still closed. “Ask.”

 

“What…happened during the storm…? Basil and I saw you being carried away,” she frowned at the memory but still kept playing the notes correctly. He was silent for a moment as if recalling the event.

 

“…I received a blow from a soldier…losing consciousness…but when I came to…I was no longer in the northern winter fields. We were stationed south, possibly near the pass. They had stopped for a break while I was tied to a tree and gagged. I didn’t know back then…but these were the king’s men. What they were doing so far north, I did not know…but they planned to kill me.”

 

Fey looked down at him worriedly, only to see his eyes opening slightly but his gaze was fixed on the closed door.

 

“They put a sword to my throat…but…I grew angry…and without my knowing, I released a powerful shadow dragon from a mere yell. It killed the man before me. Surely, my sentence would be quick after that…but…they almost seemed amazed at what I could do…and kept me alive. I had to be dragged behind their beasts…my feet were sore…blistered…bled from the long walk all the way to Hulei city. When we arrived…I was thrown to the king’s feet and told to serve. If I didn’t…I would be put to death. As a child afraid for my life, I had no other choice. I was forced to learn the sword more, past the studies back home and about combat. A child was pitted against a grown man…several nights I went to bed with bruises…wounds…and I nearly thought of letting them end the suffering.”

 

Fey frowned more at hearing that Saei had gone through all of this. No wonder he really didn’t want to openly answer her when she first asked. His eyes closed again.

 

“…but I held on…for I knew you and Basil were still alive…and I fought to become stronger so that we could be reunited. When I was a young adult, I did everything I could to learn more of where you two might possibly be…that is when I found the book on menders and gave it to you.”

 

At the mentioning of the book, the flashes of blood…fangs…devouring of flesh reappeared but she pushed it away, not wanting to ponder over that now.

 

“A day after I was appointed as an Imperial, due to being seen for my skill, I was told of reports of a thief in the feral district.”

 

“…Basil….?”

 

He nodded. “I found him…stealing from those who worked hard. Despite saving himself, it makes no difference. At first, I was in shock…and overjoyed…to see my brother…I even thought of confronting him and allowing him to go so that we may find you,” Saei’s voice grew quieter as he opened his eyes to narrow them. “…but I followed him in the shadows…to end up at a brothel…with him staggering out with two females on each arm.”

 

Fey’s music suddenly halted and she felt a small twist of pain in her heart at hearing that…Basil possibly…slept at the brothel…and never mentioned it. Saei glanced up at her worriedly to see the hurt forming in her eyes…but he knew she needed to see the truth.

 

“He was not concerned in finding you. He might had even claimed you as dead. When I saw that, I grew angry…and left. If you were out there…somewhere…I would find you…and a month later…I did.”

 

The mender raised her eyes to look into his, trying to forget about the pain when hearing this new information.

 

“…found me…? Are you…talking about the thugs…?”

 

“…no…I will admit…I found you much earlier. I saw you in the market buying a fruit for yourself. I was thrilled…to know you ended up in Hulei like myself…”

 

Hey eyes started to shimmer a bit with tears. Saei could had returned even sooner than she thought?

 

“Why didn’t you come to me?”

 

“…how would you had seen me?” He countered. “…an Imperial…under the king…oppressing ferals by command…that was not how I wanted to appear to you. Even IF I did…word would spread like wildfire of my appearance around a feral…helping them…which would draw attention to you…and land you in a cell due to my actions…so I bit my tongue…and did what I could for you from where I was. Do you recall one time you had lost a small chime you had bought at the market?”

 

Fey lowered her eyes in thought before gasping softly and looked back to him. “I f-found it on my windowsill…was…was that…?”

 

“I watched you drop it…later that eve, I returned it to you. You never saw me…but I made sure you were always cared for…whether it was slipping an extra fruit into your bag…or perhaps a coin you didn’t know was there. I finally HAD to reveal myself when those thugs cornered you…and made you suffer.”

 

“…and even then…you couldn’t answer any of my questions,” she said, remembering when he paid a room at the inn for her along with food.

 

“Yes. Before that, the king got a whiff of your presence…and sent myself and Yhisin out to hunt you. Of course, I could never turn you in…so hence my warning to you to flee.”

 

“And ever since then…you’ve been helping…” she smiled softly and went back to playing for him. “If only I could tell my past self that it was you…I would had felt more comfortable.”

 

“You were concerned for me?” He bluntly asked, making her cheeks flush a bit.

 

“O-of course…and Basil…I thought…both of you were…gone.” She did her best not to shed a tear but one managed to slip out as she shook her head. “…would you…had eventually shown yourself…if I didn’t knock off your mask?”

 

“…no…I wouldn’t have…”

 

“Why?” She asked in a pleading voice. “You…s-said you wanted to find me…but…you also want to hide from me? I don’t get it.” Saei turned his eyes away from her, not answering.

 

“Why do you want to keep hiding from me…?” She frowned and put down the uiorl for now to slide off the bed. She sat right in front of him and would get her answer if she had to yell at him. “Tell me why…I understand back at Hulei…you only wanted to protect me…but once we got out into the fields…or even here in Treaish…why…?”

 

At first, the dragon kept his lips together, not saying a single word to her but his eyes snapped open when she forcefully placed both of her clawed hands on his shoulders.

 

“I want to know right no-“ She lost her will to talk when she saw his pupils turn into slits and before she knew it, she was pinned on the floor with a looming feral over her. She felt a bead of sweat forming on her brow and she swallowed thickly to see his eyes glowing even more, his strong arms holding hers down by her face while his large body blocked her view of most of the room.

 

“…you seek to know why…? Why I hid…? Why I never allowed you to know it was I…?” Fey managed only a tiny nod, barely noticeable. “…for I fear myself...I fear what I am…who I am…”

 

Her eyes drew together, not quite following what he was getting at. There was…nothing wrong with him…

 

“…I…d-don’t understand…”

 

“Of course, you do not…you have always been the pure…innocent one…the mender who accompanied her father…to a strange kingdom…neighbor or not…and was told to be watched by two boys…one boy…never wanted her to leave…” His words slowly made her heart race and she clenched her hands into fists nervously when his bulky tail swayed to the side. “…she left anyway…and was lost…now she is found…and you ponder why I hid…because…” His voice trailed off as one of his hands grasped her chin, turning her head to the side slightly to watch her ears fold back.

 

“U-u-um..Sae-“ His thumb stopped her from talking by pressing against her lips and her face grew even redder when he leaned down to place his own warm lips to the corner of hers, making her stiffen shyly.

 

“You keep asking why…why…why…because…if I answer your question…I would not be this close to you…”

 

Her eyes only reflected more confusion as she tried to turn her head toward him which he allowed her to do, pulling his own head back.

 

“…do…you think I didn’t want to see you again…? Was…that it?” She asked, his hand moving away to return her speech to her. “…do you think I hate you…? Is it because of Basil…? That...you’re different…? Saei…we grew up together…all of us…everyone I knew…had a special place in my heart…your father…the kind servants…Basil…and you. We always played together…you’d always welcome me when I’d return from going home…you protected me…kept me company…even when I found out about my powers…your face was the first one I saw. I was so scared…but…you told me…that you were there,” she smiled softly and tried to sit up which only pushed the dragon back onto his knees but they remained close. “I was scared…when I saw you being carried away. I thought you were gone from my life forever…I made charms…to try and lift my spirits…and still feel as if you were watching over me…when in reality…you were…do you want to know why…? Now you’re allowed to ask…”

 

Saei’s eyes didn’t leave hers but they only softened more when he watched her sit up slightly to reach for his hair, pulling out the band that held most of it up to let it fall around his horns and shoulders.

 

“…because…I didn’t care what you were…who you were…to me…you were…and are still Saei…and to me…that means a lot,” she looked away for a moment nervously before turning back to him. “You…mean a lot…to me,” she whispered and moved closer to place her cheek against his, closing her eyes in relaxation. Only a second passed and his large arms weaved around her body, making her smile wider that he wasn’t pushing her away. They may had been unable to speak what was truly hidden within their hearts…but to them, the small contact made it feel like their world was finally starting to slow down.



© 2017 Jensen Roman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

133 Views
Added on August 3, 2017
Last Updated on August 3, 2017
Tags: journey, adventure, romance, violence

Journey of the Mender


Author

Jensen Roman
Jensen Roman

Buford, GA



About
Hello! I am a 30 yr. old woman who is compassionate for writing, being imaginative and creating my own world. more..

Writing