Chapter 29: Race Against Time

Chapter 29: Race Against Time

A Chapter by Jensen Roman
"

With Fey slipping away from the group, a cure must be found but it only makes the two brothers crumble.

"

Chapter 29: Race Against Time

 

A minute…ten minutes…thirty…an hour…every second ticked by in his head like a loud gong and it nearly drove him insane. It wasn’t quite how he expected their night to go. He envisioned them all sleeping, getting up early the next morning and setting out just as the sun was rising…but now this…


Something had come over Fey that felt like a sharp knife digging into his heart and since then, he couldn’t stop pacing. If he did, he would lose it. Thankfully, after the scare she had given them of losing her breath, her body fought harder to regain it before they could even think about mouth to mouth. Sid had retrieved Yuuin in time who seemed just as worried as they were…and now they were currently lost.


The king and a female servant had kept Fey in their room but forced them out to see what was wrong. Inwardly, he bit back a growl to know he couldn’t be there to help her…but yet that serpent was.


Saei made another pass in the carpet, his feet making a path by now with how long he had been pacing before the door. He might as well be a guard.


Every twentieth path or so, he’d raise his silver eyes to peer at the closed door, willing it to open any second now and be told good news. Maybe Fey had just grown sick with something that could be cured by morning. Maybe a good rest by herself would do…but he just needed something definite.


He passed by the door again and looked, his tail tightening out of slight irritation when nothing changed.


Sid frowned at seeing the dragon’s state and felt worry within his heart as well since he had seen Fey exhausted to the point of nearly falling asleep…but…this was terrifying. Never before had he been so scared for someone…not even himself when he put his life on the line against that wyrsuil but to return with the king to see Fey barely clinging on, it felt as if his heart had been ripped out. He exhaled softly and watched Saei stop before the door again.


“…she’ll make it…” The hare reassured him…as well as himself. “She’s made it this far. Nothing is going to hold her back.” Basil was leaning against the wall beside the door and heard Sid’s words. They were a small beacon of hope…but he bit his lower lip in anger at not being able to do anything. Maybe…he put too much on her earlier that day. It could be stress related…


Being kidnapped…


All three of them injured by the king…


Saei being attacked again…


It must had been a lot of pressure on her that they weren’t seeing but he ran his hands over his face with a silent groan when he heard his brother’s voice surfacing from his memories.


‘FEY IS DYING!’


Basil shook his head free of those dark thoughts. He wasn’t going to let anything happen to her, not while he still lived.


After what felt like an eternity, his ears shifted when he heard the small creak of a door being opened. Basil raised his fiery eyes while his brother also halted to watch the door open to reveal the king himself looking worn.


“How is she?” Sid came closer, his long ears drooping a bit but the king held up his hand to them as if to calm them down the best he could.


“…she is stable,” he told them and watched as their faces filled with relief. “You may enter but keep your voices to a minimum to allow her rest,” he ordered and slipped back inside their room. The three companions followed and watched Yuuin stepping over to the bed where Fey was covered with two fur blankets to keep her warm. The female servant was on the other side, wringing out a small towel of excess water before placing it back on her forehead.


“What’s…wrong with her?” Basil managed to find his voice after seeing Fey’s current state. She looked…weak…


He knew her to be the bubbly light of their group, taking their teases with raised fists and throwing back her own jokes or threats to make them laugh. She kept them together like a strong sap…but this wasn’t the mender he knew. Her lips were parted, taking in short breaths as her ears shook in shivers and her eyes were closed in sleep.


Yuuin sat down in a chair that was by her bedside, possibly where he had been sitting for the past hour to tend to her and leaned back tiredly.


“The day I brought young Fey here…she was already suffering. You three know this. I mended her to the best of my abilities…” He turned his eyes onto them, specifically Saei who stepped away from his comrades to come over to Fey’s side.


“But she was fine,” Sid told him and Yuuin nodded with a soft sigh.


“She was…but now she had a relapse. Her mender spirit was already weakened but when I healed her, it was a quick fix to a large problem. I didn’t see this coming though,” he explained and looked down at Fey with a frown to see her lips trembling when a wave of pain rushed over her.


“So, what are you saying?” Basil asked behind gritted teeth.


“In gentle words…Fey is losing her fight,” he whispered, struggling to speak such a dreadful sentence. Saei lost the color on his face and felt his heart stop.


“W-w-wait…” Sid held up his hands in confusion and stepped closer. “Are you saying she’s dying?” He asked bluntly since he had never been filled in on what a mender truly goes through.


“…in a grim way, yes,” Yuuin responded and cautiously glanced up at Saei to see his jaw tightening.


“There has to be something!” Basil raised his voice in anger. “Can’t you heal her?!”


The king slowly shook his head, too tired at this point to snap at the feline for his loudness.


“I wish I could. A mender can heal another…but this is a type of mending that cannot be fixed. We were blessed by the sun…her gift is nothing to take lightly…but when greedy hearts force it from us…it’ll cause this. It’d be equivalent of working you physically until your bones couldn’t take anymore. Her spirit falters…and her light is dimming. That is why she was struggling to breathe earlier. Her body is basically in shock as the loss of her energy is catching up with her…and fast.”


The more he heard, the deeper the knife dug into his heart and soon started to twist into it. Saei’s eyes narrowed as he ignored the king being so close and sat on the bed beside Fey to touch her hand under the blanket. Her small claws twitched as if trying to speak to him but they were limp once more.


“…there must still be something…” Sid looked to the king. “How did you deal with things like this?”


“I never had to. I ran from those who wished to use me or defended myself until I arrived here. I was never put into the situation Fey dealt with.” The room grew quiet, each individual thinking of their own way to combat this problem but it seemed nothing they knew would help. The young servant woman came around the side of the bed to face Yuuin.


“Your highness, I do…recall one thing. It may not be a solution but…it is worth a try.”


Saei whipped his head around to look at her, wanting to hear any idea, no matter how stupid.


“What would that be?” Yuuin asked, giving her his attention as well.


“I remember some time ago when you, yourself, were sick. Not to this degree but we had you drink crushed Altheia petals. You had regained your strength afterwards.”


“Altheia?” Basil asked, coming closer and the servant turned to him.


“In old tales, they said it’s a flower that has been kissed by the sun herself. I’m sure it doesn’t mean anything…but…it would be an idea since…apparently, we don’t have one.”


“Do we have any?” Yuuin asked, standing from his chair and ready to retrieve some if so but the servant frowned.


“Sadly no, sire. Retrieving the petals is dangerous. We used the last ones we had on you. We never went back to get any.”


“Where are they?” Saei asked, finally speaking after all this time but his eyes shined with determination.

“O-oh you can’t. The Altheia flowers bloom in the Diserai Swamps just north of here but there are foul creatures there that make it nearly impossible to find it.”


“What does it look like?” The dragon stood, his hand slipping away from Fey’s.


“It’s small…no bigger than your hand and gold in color. If it’s fully in bloom, it’ll be emitting a glow. It can be easily overlooked.”


Getting all the information he needed, Saei headed straight for the door which confused his brother.


“Where are you heading?”


“To get the flower,” he answered, turning the handle to open the door but the feline stepped away from the bed to stop him with a hand to his arm.


“How?! You don’t know how far away the swamp is.”


Saei growled and tore his arm from his grasp to glare down at him.


“I will walk! Every second that passes Fey is growing worse! I’d be damned if I sit here doing nothing but watching her wither away,” he snapped at him but Basil remained where he was and understood his brother’s words.


“You seek to save a mender?” Yuuin asked, folding his arms across his chest while looking to Saei. It was clear as they exchanged looks they held their own hidden argument.


“I’ve done it multiple times before…this is no different,” he replied with honesty. Yuuin studied him a moment longer before narrowing his eyes.


“Walking will do you no good. I’ll show you to my stables and take a rashein. It’ll be faster.”


Despite them seeing the other differently, right now none of that mattered. Fey needed help so they had to put things aside just for that. Saei nodded his head in thanks before looking over to Sid.


“Stay with her. If she wakes, let her know I will return.”


“Got it!” Sid saluted to try and bring up their spirits before taking the seat beside Fey but Basil narrowed his eyes slightly.


“…I’m going too.”


“No, you won’t,” Saei told him, leaving no room for argument as he stepped outside the room as the king left as well to lead the way but Basil trailed behind.


“You can’t tell me to just stay here! I’m coming to help you find this flower!” He caught up with their strides but Saei harshly growled under his breath.


“I will not slow down for you. If you trail behind, find your way back,” he warned and followed Yuuin who made a turn down the hall that led to an outside area near the gardens. The rain had finally let up and only had a few drops remaining that dripped onto the trees above but when Yuuin rounded the corner of his palace, he came upon the large stables. The beasts were sheltered from the rain and were sleeping soundly, not wanting to be disturbed but sadly they would have to.


The king stepped past the railing and gently grabbed the reins of two of his prized rasheins.


“Up, up,” he commanded. The elk like beasts opened their eyes with a grunt at having to wake and slowly stood. Their antlers were a sight to behold, curving back along their heads in different fashions and their mossy green coats looked well kept. Yuuin led them out of the stables, dropping the reins in each of their hands.


“From my palace, travel due north. The swamp is large so it is hard to miss,” he explained, watching as Basil easily mounted his rashein first and directed it toward the forest.


“We’ll be back in no time,” the feline prided while his brother mounted as well but cast his kin a glance.

“Get started. I’ll catch up.”


Though he was confused, Basil paid it no mind and had his steed trudge off into the forest to at least find some open area to get a better view of their surroundings. With his brother gone, Saei looked down at Yuuin who also seemed glad to be alone with him once more.


“Just because you offered to do this feat…does not mean my hatred for you had deterred.”


“I figured…and I am not looking to please you by doing this. I’m doing this for Fey.”


The serpent looked in the direction his brother left with a deep sigh before glancing back up at him.


“…we will see. If you truly love her, drysiohn…you will bring that flower back,” Yuuin spoke but Saei gripped his reins harder at his words. With a small huff, the dragon turned his rashein around and headed off after his brother. The king watched his departing form in the woods and frowned worriedly.


“…I am putting my trust in a drysiohn. What next?” He asked himself and headed back inside to go be by Fey’s side.


 

 

The edge of the woods was finally past him and Basil’s rashein charged out into open fields. The grass was wet from the storm and the beast kicked up fresh mud as it galloped away from the forest but Basil tightened the reins slightly to slow it down. The feline looked over his shoulder, waiting for his kin and turned the elk around to wait. The cold night air made his fur stand on end and with only having the moon and stars as lights, it made him a bit uneasy.


They were in a land that was unknown to them…so…anything was really possible. Basil looked back to where they would be heading and to the right he saw the torches belonging to the farm. At least there was some…civilization that brought comfort but he knew they’d be traveling away from it.


His ears flicked and twisted to listen behind him. The sound of hooves quickly approached…


Basil turned back to look and felt a bit of relief to see his brother finally exiting the forest to race toward him. The feline held onto his reins to go ahead and get his rashein going once more since Saei would easily catch up to him in no time. Sure enough, he spotted the other beast from the corner of his eye as well as his kin…who seemed deep in thought. They hadn’t really spent alone time together…to just talk…and now that he thought about it, it felt as if there was a wall between them.


Frowning slightly at the thought, Basil kept up his rashein’s pace with his brother’s.


“Saei…can we talk?”


“About?” With his answer being short, Basil felt Saei wasn’t in the mood for conversing…but…that didn’t mean he wouldn’t try.


“About…well…us? Our last few talks alone had either been violent…or just talking about memories. We really hadn’t taken the time to just talk as brothers,” Basil frowned, looking forward across the empty plains and listening to the sounds of the hooves beneath him. “So…can we at least try?”


“Talk.”


“Okay…well…so, this entire time…you were that Imperial Rial? You attacked us?”


“It was all for show. Yhisin did not know of my plans until Treaish when I informed him. Until that point, yes, I had to appear as if I was out to capture Fey but I never followed through.”


“I noticed. That attack you did in Hulei that engulfed her, I thought you were about to kill her.”


“My shadows follow my will. They harm if only I see fit.”


“Guess that’s good,” Basil felt a bit of relief washing over him to finally have a proper conversation with him. “What happened to you…during the storm anyway? How did you make it?”


“To keep it short since I already explained myself to Fey, the soldiers saw my worth and made me work under the king.”


“I can’t believe this entire time…right under my nose, you lived with us in Hulei. Same goes with Fey,” Basil smiled at the thought but Saei still looked displeased.


In his mind, he knew what his brother had been up to…while he worked to search for Fey and finally keeping her under watch. It irritated him still that he spoke so lightly of it…and now look what Fey was being subjected to.


“…I can’t believe they made Fey do all those things,” Basil frowned, lowering his eyes. “She must had been really sick.”


‘You cannot even fathom,’ Saei retorted in his mind and remembered at times when he had to watch Fey secretly stumbling against a building due to her tiredness. His muscles urged him to go and help…but he knew it was not the right time.


“What did you do in Hulei until you ran into us?”


“Slaved for the king. I stoked fear into the ferals to keep them under his will though I never lifted my sword to them. Merely seeing me was enough.”


“I bet. When I first saw you, you were intimidating…as was your friend. I’m…really sorry…” Basil glanced over at his brother who showed a flicker of pain for a moment in his eyes before sweeping it away.


“Yhisin was a good friend and comrade. I will remember him as such and not how he is now.”


“True. When did you find out about Fey?” Basil asked to change the subject.


“…rumors spread of a feral healing the sick. At first, I was skeptic but I came upon her one day while searching. I heard them calling her Fey…and she looked like our young friend being grown up…but after years, you never recognize anyone right off the first glance.”


“You could had shown yourself to her though. Maybe even gotten her out of there.”


Saei’s eyebrow twitched at feeling as if Basil was blaming him.


“I could have but where would I hide her? The king had spies everywhere…if I was seen smuggling her, I would had been seen as a traitor and where would they leave you both?” He challenged and glanced over at him. “Yhisin would had killed you and taken her.”


The feline huffed at the little faith Saei had in him and looked forward.


“What about that time you attacked me?” He asked, his tail swaying behind him in slight agitation. “That wasn’t for show.”


The time they had camped…right after the wyrsuil attack. Fey had gotten sick and they found it best to stop for a moment before finishing their ride to Treaish…


It was at that moment Saei found her alone. She was feisty…ready to slash at him…but he meant the words he told her back then.


‘You’ve grown to be so beautiful,’ he remembered telling her. It was then…that she had a suspicion that it was him…and Basil attacked. Saei felt the anger rising in him…when he recalled his brother boasting about how he would protect her. Where was he when Fey was suffering in Hulei?


Where was he when she was captured in Treaish?


He knew nothing about Fey…or what she truly was. He never bothered to indulge himself about the mender he supposedly wanted to protect so dearly.


He didn’t even know how much she was suffering…and yet had her heal him…


It sickened Saei…


“…well?” Basil asked, drawing his brother from his thoughts but Saei deeply exhaled while tightening his claws.


“…I wish to ride in silence.”


“What? Why? We were just talking. I can change it then…but I just wanted to talk with you,” the feline frowned. “I really missed you, Saei…and I know…I did you wrong in the past by breaking your knee out of anger,” his voice was sincere and though his anger was strong…Saei’s eyes softened when he glanced over at Basil to see him frowning while facing forward. He didn’t see the grown up feral that he was…but…he saw the little boy he had played with so long ago.


“…I’m sorry if you’re angry at me…or…if you hate me…but I still want to be your brother…for you’re still mine. We may not look alike…or act alike…but I’d still want what’s best for you,” Basil finished and thought maybe Saei was still upset at him for…whatever reason but he heard a sigh near him. He looked over to see the dragon with his eyes closed and appearing annoyed.


“…you’re such a handful…always were…” Saei told him and opened his eyes to give him his attention. “We will argue…we will fight…but because those things take place, doesn’t change who we are.”


“…you mean…?” Basil’s eyes lit up and Saei shook his head with a chuckle.


“You’ll always be my annoying little brother,” Saei told him and Basil laughed lightly.


“I knew you still cared!”


“Don’t push it now. I could always change my mind,” he teased, earning a small laugh from the both of them and this was what Basil sought after. That small bonding moment he used to have with Saei before everything happened.


“What are you going to do? Disown me? I’m the prince you know!”


“Prince of what? Rubble? Even then, I am older so mind your manners.”


“You calling yourself old? Like my elder?”


“You know what I mean,” he chastised and looked ahead to spot something in the distance. He didn’t even need to know it was the swamp. The smell on the wind made his nose wrinkle in disgust at the scent of decay and rotten vegetation. How could the flower grow here? There was no way.


“Oh my gods…” Basil groaned and covered his nose with his sleeve. Even the rasheins seemed annoyed by the odor and whined. They had to slow down the beasts for the mud started to become thicker like paste, threatening to hold them in place. Saei pulled on his reins to stop the elk and Basil did the same when he noticed his brother wasn’t following.


“We should enter on foot. If the rasheins get any closer, they could get stuck,” he explained and dismounted. He patted the side of its neck, telling it to stay put and the large beast didn’t seem to mind as it nibbled on some nearby grass that was still green.


“Good call,” Basil praised and did the same, patting his own steed to have it wander around nearby. “The only bad time to be a feral,” he groaned when the smell returned to his senses when he faced the swamp.

“Just stay close…” His brother warned and took the lead, keeping his nose covered with his claws as his bare feet took the first few steps into the disgusting marsh. It was repulsive with the sticky mud caking onto his toes and sucking him further toward the ground. With his knee the way it was, he tried not to push it too hard by ripping his foot from the mud. Long blades of grass surrounded them, coming up higher than he was. It would be easy to get lost in here for sure.


Saei glanced back to see Basil fighting against the mud just like he was…and struggling a bit.


“Here.” Saei swung his tail around to wrap it around Basil’s waist to make sure his brother didn’t get stuck or lost.


“Thanks,” the feline smiled but did his best not to slow his kin down. “How are we going to find that blasted thing in these conditions?”


“I’m as lost as you,” Saei told him and nearly slipped on a wet patch of mud. Seemed the water level underneath was rising the deeper they went in which would only make the mud deadlier. “…as long as nothing sidetracks us…we will take our time to look,” he explained. The servant’s worried words of beasts resurfaced and all Saei could do was pray nothing like that would happen. It was a race now to help Fey and he could just imagine her laying in that bed…begging for help.


‘Hold on, Fey,’ he pleaded and stopped slowly when they came to a fork in the marsh. One path led to the left and one led northeast.


“Great,” Basil groaned and looked down the left path to see it all looked the same.


“…someone cleared these…” Saei whispered with narrowed eyes.


“…or something. Eh, don’t even want to think about it…which way?”


“Try and use your ears. Listen for anything that seems different.” Saei stepped toward the northeast path, closing his eyes to listen for anything amiss while Basil did the same. All he could hear was the soft breeze rustling through the tall grass, making them sway and bend but there was something different. Basil turned a bit when he heard a croak.


“…frogs?”


“Frogs mean water.”


“And water means plants,” Basil smirked and took the lead this time toward the northeast path which basically pulled Saei behind him since he kept his tail around him.


“Do not rush off,” Saei warned him with a growl.


“I got this!” Basil swished his tail in a cocky manner but was forced to stop when the mud beneath their claws shook violently…and a loud bestial groan could be heard on all sides of them.


“W-w-what the…?!” Basil’s knees nearly buckled at the shakes but Saei kept him sturdy and moved closer out of protection with his sword at his side.


“Not the idle place for a battle…” he glared, seeing all the grass around them as a hindrance. Whatever this thing was…it’d be hard to spot or even attack. “Stay close.”


“Gotcha,” Basil pounded his fist into his palm, flames igniting around his wrists as the groan sounded once more, angrily this time. “She wasn’t lying when she said there were beasts here…” He growled, looking this way and that when it sounded as if the beast was circling them.


“Time to show me what you can do,” Saei teased, raising his sword up close to his body.


“Try and keep up,” Basil replied in a mocking tone.


The blades of grass were slowly parting before them with the ground quivering more. Both brothers held their ground but the beast reared up at the last second, showing itself from within the grass. It was a long worm with a scaled hide that looked sickly green. Two long tusks curved from its jaws that had jagged teeth and its multiple eyes were fixed on the ferals.


“What is that?!” Basil yelled but was pushed out of the way by Saei when the worm slammed down where he once stood.


“FOCUS!” The dragon bit out and kicked off the best he could from the mud to leap onto the back of the worm, digging his claws into the hide the best that he could but it seemed futile. It was slippery, soaked with mucus that nearly made him fall off when it groaned again.


“Saei!” Basil rose to his feet to watch the worm swing its bulky head around, almost smacking the feline with its tusks as it tried to knock off the dragon from its back. Saei gritted his teeth as he climbed higher onto the worm’s neck toward its head to be out of range of any attacks. Rearing its head back, the worm brought its stubby tail around to swing it at him. Luckily, he ducked in time to avoid a blunt blow but the tail swung back around closer to its hide to hit him roughly in the side.


Saei roared out, feeling his side becoming bruised at the attack and the worm swung its tail around again but was stopped before another hit could be made when a blast of fire smacked it right in the face.


The large beast shrunk back a bit, giving Saei time to climb higher, digging his claws past the mucus and into the worm’s head. He spotted Basil down below gathering more fire and with a yell, the feline sent a ball of molten fury straight at the worm’s mouth.


“Eat that!” He cheered and moved to the side when the worm slammed its body down where he once stood. Saei was nearly knocked off but he raised his sword high, ready to impale the beast through its skull.


“SAEI! WATCH OUT!” Basil yelled but by the time the dragon looked away, the stub of a tail collided with him to knock him fully off and sent him into the nearby mud. The dragon groaned in pain, mud caking his hair and skin as he tried to push himself up with the use of his sword.


Growing uninterested in the cat, the worm angrily slid toward Saei to finish the job.


“HEY! I’m your target!” Basil hollered and rushed after the long beast to leap onto its spine and breathed fire from his mouth onto the hide. The worm wriggled in pain, engulfed in flames but swirled around with its long head since Basil wasn’t high enough and smacked the feline off its back with the use of its tusks. The blunt side made contact to Basil’s hip, sending the younger kin rolling across the wet mud with a shriek of pain.


“Basil!” Saei yelled worriedly and saw the worm ignoring him now to go after his brother. Angrily, he pushed through the pain to dart through the mud toward his kin. “You leave my brother alone!” He stopped right before Basil who could barely get up and raised his sword to point it at the worm, shadows licking at his body.


The worm groaned and raised its body, ready to slam it down on them to crush them beneath its bulk and Basil was genuinely frightened but his eyes widened when his brother parted his jaws to roar like he had before when Yuuin had attacked them. Shadows engulfed him completely and Basil felt a new sense of fear. Not from the worm…but to hear this clearly and up so close…such a sound that could had come from a regular beast.


The worm buckled a bit at the threat but readied itself again by rearing back, prepared to impale the dragon with its tusks. Basil looked up to see Saei’s eyes turning into slits and a massive shadow dragon escaped from his sword, roaring just as loudly as he had to spring forward at the worm.


The beast squirmed in pain, it’s tough hide being torn at by the shadows but Saei darted forward bravely, becoming a part of the shadow dragon itself and thrust his sword forward at the soft flesh that had opened up due to his attack. The worm thrashed about at the renewed pain, shaking the ground with its movements but Saei dug his sword deeper with another loud roar while the shadow dragon joined him to almost become one being.


Basil could only watch in pure amazement…and slight horror that his brother was this lethal. He sure was glad he wasn’t on the opposing end.


With a quick twist of his wrist, Saei sliced into the innards of the worm, sending them forth onto the swamp’s mucky ground as it wiggled a few more times in a last struggle but the pain was too much. The shadow dragon growled and vanished from Saei as he backed up slowly when the head came crashing down to lay limply at his feet.


Saei panted softly and used the back of his hand to wipe off some of the mud that had gotten on his cheek before sheathing his sword and turning back to Basil. His brother didn’t seem injured…


“…you lived,” he teased and stepped through the mud to help hoist his kin up but he saw the look of shock in his eyes. “…what?”


“…what you did…that…”


“…it was an attack…you make it seem as if you never fought before,” Saei huffed and carefully avoided the guts of the worm, already grossed out by being covered in mud and mucus that he desired to bathe for at least a week straight.


“N-no! But what you did was amazing! How did you learn to do that?!” Basil stumbled to catch up with him but wrinkled his nose when his brother smelled of basically entrails. “You reek…”


“I am aware of that,” he said in annoyance. “And it’s called practice and honing your skill. Not too difficult to do.”


“Wow…think we can spare at some point? Let me train with you.”


“No.”


“What?! Why not?”


“I said no.”


“Come on! I’m your little brother, right? You’re supposed to help me.”


“I just saved your rear end back there. Kind words of appreciation would be nice.”


“Fine fine, thank you for saving me. Now, can you train me?”


Saei allowed the ghost of a smile to cross his face as he looked around at his surroundings when he heard louder croaking.


“If you cease annoying me…”


“Done!” Basil jogged a bit to travel down the trail more and seemed overjoyed at what he saw.


“Frogs!”


Saei slowly reached him and was surprised to find a small lake area with a few frogs leaping about and croaking. The water seemed clean, despite being in a swamp. The dragon rushed over and started to wash his face off with a growl of distaste. He knew his hair was also a mess but he couldn’t exactly wash here. At least his face and hands would be clean.


He shook off the excess water and watched as Basil swayed his tail lightly while stalking a helpless frog that sat calmly on a rock.


“Basil, leave it alone.”


“Why? I’m starving.”


“…you plan on eating a frog raw?”


“Well…no…”


“Plus, we have no time,” he stood slowly, feeling his knee buckling under him. “We have to search for the flower.”


“Eh…guess you’re right,” Basil agreed with a sigh and with a smirk, leapt at the frog but the animal croaked and jumped out of the way in time to send Basil into the water.


“You damn thing!” The cat cursed at it, earning a croak in retort but Saei looked to where the frog sat and his eyes widened to see a glow behind it.


“…is that…?” He whispered and carefully maneuvered around the edge of the lake, scaring away the frog to reveal a small flower that swayed in the breeze. The glow pulsed as Basil stood in the water to step over.


“…it can’t be?!”


“This appears to be it,” Saei smiled in relief and carefully dug his claws underneath it to bring up the roots as well. The glow continued, even though it was uprooted and sure enough, it was about the size of his hand.


“Hopefully that’s an altheia…”


“I wouldn’t see why not,” Saei answered and held the flower close as he stepped away from the lakes. “Let us hurry and take this to Fey.”


“She’ll be feeling so much better. I can’t wait,” Basil smiled, shaking off some of the water and joined up with his brother. “After all that as well…I’m worn out. I could use the sleep.”


“It’s still night so it’s understandable. The servant can fix this up for Fey to get her treated and by morning, King Yuuin can lead us back to the farm.”


“About him…” Basil started and glanced up at Saei. “You never did tell us why he attacked you. I really wanted to smack him a good one.”


Basil had no idea…


Fey knew…and had come to terms with it…but Basil and Sid were left in the dark. Sid, he wasn’t worried with but he knew Basil needed to know soon or else it would cause bumps in their journey if it was later.

Saei deeply exhaled, feeling the soft petals brushing against his fingers as if Fey herself was telling him to rush home but he continued walking back down the path they had come from.


“…King Yuuin despises me for what I am.”


“…for what you are? A dragon? Is he jealous?”


“It is not because I am a dragon feral. It’s…a long story…”


“Try and sum it up in a few sentences.”


“You know Fey is a mender…as is Yuuin. They were given the gift of the light from the sun.”


“Okay, I’m following.”


“…but the moon grew jealous and gave his own gift. Those were called drysiohns…which I am one. I found out in Hulei.”


“Alright…so you were born with a gift of the moon? Sounds neat. What can you do? I’m sure you don’t mend,” Basil teased but Saei’s strides started to slow until he stopped. His brother turned to look at him curiously.


“…Saei…?”


Taking in a deep breath and wanting to get it over with, Saei locked eyes with his brother.


“…those gifted by the moon…have the desire…the urge…for the blood of a mender.”


The weight of the words finally left his shoulder to crash down on Basil’s. Saei could see it within his eyes that everything he knew was torn apart.


From all this time traveling with him…


Not even that but growing up together!


Now he was back with them…with Fey...and he never knew.


Basil’s fingers twitched slightly as he took a small step back.


“…what?” He barely managed to speak but Saei glanced away from him.


“Running through my veins is the “gift” from the moon. Smelling mender blood or even seeing it…makes my fangs tingle…my body warms…but I have never acted on impulses like other drysiohns have. That is why Yuuin despises me. He knows what I am and believes I will harm Fey.”


“…y-you can’t be serious!” Basil’s eyes quivered as he bit his lower lip. Just a few seconds ago, everything was going grand. He had his brother back to a certain degree…but…now he decided to lay this on him?


Before Basil knew what was coming over him, he narrowed his eyes with a low growl and felt his claws digging into his palm.


“…y-you…you’re actually something…that can harm Fey?!” He snapped at him but Saei narrowed his own eyes with his tail tightening.


“As if I would. I have protected her on numerous terms.”


“That doesn’t change the fact that you can! Does Fey know?!”


“…yes. I told her.”


Basil’s eyes widened even more and felt his anger rising.


So…this entire time…Fey knew that Saei could harm her…and didn’t let him know?


“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?!”


“Because I knew you’d act like this!” Saei growled out. “This isn’t the time to bicker! Fey needs this flower. Nothing has changed. I am still Saei from before I even confessed to you…now hold your anger for some other time,” Saei chastised and made to walk around him down the path but his leapt back in time when Basil swung his fist at him, engulfed in flames.


“You…e-expect me to walk back with you…back to Fey…after that? Are you serious?!”


“As I said, nothing has changed and Fey is more important at the moment than what I am! Now cease being a child and move!”


Basil gritted his teeth hard enough to make his gums white as he assumed an attack stance and Saei growled under his breath.


“…you cannot be serious. You wish to fight now when Fey is ill?!”


“Since when have you cared for Fey?! For the most part, you’ve been hiding from her behind some stupid mask, hunting her like some wild game and now you’re telling us that you basically have an urge for her blood! You don’t give a damn about Fey and I’ve been holding that in for so long but not anymore!”


Saei’s eyebrow twitched in annoyance, his anger rising as he tucked the flower closer to his chest.


“You speak so ill of me…but what did you do in Hulei?! While I searched for her day after day, you went to the brothels to drink yourself into a stupor with other females! Don’t tell me I don’t care for her!”


Basil’s fists shook as he charged forward with a growl and swung his fiery fists right at his brother’s face but Saei blocked it with his bulky tail, keeping the flower safe at all cost.


“If you did, you wouldn’t had put her through so much!” Basil snapped at him and used his agile form to swing his leg, trying to clip his brother’s but Saei leapt back angrily.


“I had no choice! Do you think I enjoyed being unable to help her and watching her suffer?!”


“You always had a choice!” Basil rushed forward across the mud again, nearly hitting Saei in the face if he didn’t back up in time but the dragon kicked him back easily.


“Fey is dying! Knock off this fight!”


“If you go back, there’s a chance she’ll die from you!”


His brother was blinded by rage and couldn’t see reason, no matter how hard he tried. Saei bit his lip when Basil came swinging at him again, each blow barely being dodged.


“You don’t know…how much she means to me…and I am not going to let her be in harm’s way!” His knuckles clipped the underside of his jaw but Saei’s eyes turned into slits as he swung his tail to smack Basil away.


“You foolish boy!” He roared out. “Cease with your own worries and fears! If Fey meant so much, you’d be stopping!”


“Oh?! And I’d take it you’d know how it feels?” Basil charged forward faster than Saei could see and he felt a sharp pain erupt through his injured knee. The already brittle bones snapped to send the mighty dragon down onto the mud and Basil harshly sent a fiery kick at his stomach to make him skid back. Saei coughed up blood but hid the flower to his heart as he struggled to get up but his brother slammed his foot down onto his back to send him into the mud.


“You don’t know how it feels…I lost everything that day…my home…my family…Fey…you…I lived thinking everything I knew was gone…” Basil frowned but fire still raged on his fists. “…I thought…I was getting my brother back…but…it feels I don’t even know you now. You are what you are…and that’s to go after a mender…which means Fey…I can’t have that. Fey…is everything to me…” Basil told him and reached down to pluck the small flower from his brother’s hold. Saei attempted to sit up once more but the pain was too great through his body, causing him to fall back onto the mud.


Not knowing what more to say, Basil frowned and turned his back onto his brother, feeling his eyes welling up with tears.


“I do know!”


The feline stopped, feeling a single tear traveling down his cheek but didn’t have the heart to look back.


“…you think…I am some…mindless beast…? If I desired for her blood…she’d be dead…but…you do not know…how I feel. To live like this…like some…sick sin that was birthed into the world…like a smudge that needs to be killed…you don’t think I don’t know that? You know…what keeps me going…?”


Basil’s tail tucked between his ankles as another tear fell.


“…it’s because of her. Even as kids…Fey was the light…for both of us…we lost it…in that storm…but when I was able to…I fought so much…for so long…to find her again…while you…had your fun…stealing…drinking…I fought to find her…and you say…she is everything to you?” Saei challenged, feeling the pain becoming more intense and unable to move his leg. “…she isn’t everything to you…you don’t know the meaning…of giving everything…to someone…unless you TRULY…give yourself for them.”


Basil slowly raised his head to look up at the night sky as he felt his heart twisting.


“You don’t know…how precious someone is…until you truly feel it…I’ve watched…for years…Fey crying…smiling…laughing…and I could do nothing…but watch…but I still…was there…in secret for her…I brought her food…I gave her coins…I had…given everything that I am to her…and you…honestly see me as some…murderous beast…?”


He watched as his brother deeply exhaled and took a few steps away from him…leaving him crippled and lying in the cold mud until he vanished through the tall blades with the flower in hand. Saei gritted his teeth and pushed himself to sit up but his arms crumbled beneath him, too worn out to even stand.

His silver eyes looked down the path…and saw no sign of his brother returning.


Whimpering in pain, he turned his head to look up at the night sky to see the moon overhead and could only pray in secret.


‘…you came to me in my dreams…you’re the one who placed this upon me…I am not blaming you…but please…do me one favor...if you love the sun…as much as I love my sun…allow Fey to become well again…do this…’ He felt his eyes closing with his skin shivering, still covered in mud and the night’s cold air forced him into slumber, unsure how he was going to return to his light.



© 2017 Jensen Roman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Oh nooo! :( Just when everything was going right. They better make up!

Posted 6 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

138 Views
1 Review
Added on August 23, 2017
Last Updated on August 23, 2017
Tags: journey, adventure, violence, romance

Journey of the Mender


Author

Jensen Roman
Jensen Roman

Buford, GA



About
Hello! I am a 30 yr. old woman who is compassionate for writing, being imaginative and creating my own world. more..

Writing