Chapter 17: The Scent of Blood

Chapter 17: The Scent of Blood

A Chapter by Jensen Roman
"

The journey resumes with banter, sparks and blood.

"

Chapter 17: The Scent of Blood

 

 

            Blood…it soaked every corner of the room, especially the floor. Small grooves that allowed it to flow out of the large room were rotten over with small pieces of flesh and bones, cracked under the strength of the one who performed the ritual. She was seeing it…so clearly…and she felt nothing but dread. Her heart was in the deepest pit of her stomach as two shadowy figures formed on either side of her to grasp her arms in their tight hold. She gasped with fear and did her best to try and escape from them.

 

Deep voices could be heard…humming a deathly tune…almost in a chant.

 

*The blistering winds call to us

 

Sheltering from the light of your sun

 

But soon the moon will devour

 

Bringing an endless darkness*

 

A tear of fear slid down her cheek slowly as more of her surroundings came into view. With time being slowed, an altar appeared in the middle of the room…covered in smeared blood…with a body laying over it. Their eyes were lifeless…as chunks of their body were gone. A figure made themselves known behind the altar. Though they were shrouded in shadow and the room itself was dark, the blood acted like a bright light to make it stand out as it dripped slowly from their lips.

 

She parted her lips in a silent scream, her voice was gone completely as more figures appeared around the room.

 

*Your pure light will be mourning

 

Blood flowing through our veins

 

May it sustain us

 

And bring about our eternal night*

 

Slowly, the two figures keeping a tight hold on her brought her closer to the altar as the body was pushed off the stone to crumble onto the floor. More missing pieces of their body showed…as if someone took a massive chunk out of them. More tears escaped as she whimpered and was held down on the altar, her back pressing hard against the stone to nearly dig into her spine. Unable to speak, she looked up at the figure looming over her to hopefully plead with them to spare her life. They didn’t need to do this but two silver eyes revealed themselves…and held nothing for her pleas.

 

No remorse…

 

No ounce of care…

 

No guilt about what they had done…

 

The figure’s jaws parted to reveal razor sharp fangs that glinted like daggers, saliva dripping off them as well as blood from the past victim. She struggled again, crying out with a mute voice to be let go. It was swift…faster than she could blink…and it was so painful…to feel those fangs tearing at her neck like some beast.

 

 

 

Sweat poured down her face as Fey sat up with a small gasp, clutching at her throat. Fearing for her life, she frantically looked around to see where she was…but…saw that there was no one surrounding her. In fact, she was back at the inn where she had fallen asleep. There was no wound on her throat either but her hand slid down to rest over her beating heart to try and calm a bit.

 

“Not…the best way…to wake up…” She exhaled shakily and finally managed to control her breathing to see that…there was no one in the room with her. There was no sign of Sid…Basil…or Saei. Did…she wake up late? She turned her eyes to the window to see the sun was just beginning to rise over the city. A tiny bit…but not by a lot. They were all probably waiting for her…

 

Putting the disturbing dream out of her mind, Fey swung her legs over the bed to see that her possessions were gone. The uiorl was no longer beside the bed…as well as her clothes. Maybe they went ahead and packed them up for her. Hopefully so…

 

She stood from the bed to quickly make it, even though the caretakers would probably change them anyway for the next customer and went about smoothing her dress out to make it free of wrinkles. She didn’t have sleep wear…so it would have to do. After fixing her hair a bit from its messy state, Fey felt she was ready to leave the beautiful city of Treaish behind her to begin setting out. She left the room behind to venture down the hall and smiled softly when she saw Sid at one of the tables, finishing a small meal. It was clear he didn’t notice her…or else he’d be already teasing her.

 

‘Let’s make this morning a good one,’ she told herself and walked over to his table.

 

“Good morning, Sid,” she greeted and pulled out a chair for herself, gaining the hare’s attention who returned the smile.

 

“Well look who finally woke up.”

 

‘Annnnnd it starts,’ she groaned mentally but didn’t really care. After that nightmare, she needed to be around her friends.

 

“So, how did you sleep?” He asked, taking a small sip of his cup which smelled strong to her senses.

 

“Good. How about you?”

 

“Eh…not really my thing to sleep next to another male…but it had to be done,” he chuckled and stood to go over to the counter where plenty of food waited for customers to rouse and greet the morning. He picked up a large helping for her along with juice and brought it back to her.

 

“Eat up. We got a long trip and some bad news.”

 

“…bad news?” She frowned worriedly and her mind started to come up with multiple possibilities.

 

“You know how the prize money for the arena was supposed to be a big fat stack?” He started and sat back down across from her.

 

“…yeah…?”

 

“Well…because we didn’t go and retrieve it yesterday…which I didn’t know was part of the rules…we got this…” He smirked and pulled out a small coin purse to dump it out before her which she quickly counted.

 

“…twenty? That’s it?”

 

“Yep!” He leaned back in his chair with an annoyed look and popped a small carrot into his mouth. “So…the idiot and I fought for nothing…AND you didn’t even get to watch me work my moves…do you know how disappointed I am?”

 

Fey sighed but couldn’t help the small giggle at his antics as she scooped the money up for him.

 

“It’s a crime I know…but…at least you both are all right and let out some steam. Speaking of which…” Her voice trailed, hoping he’d catch on as she started to sample small pieces of the food he brought back for her.

 

“You wondering where they are?”

 

She just nodded due to her mouth being full and the hare sighed with his hands behind his head.

 

“Well…when I woke up this morning…both of them weren’t in the room…so…couldn’t tell ya, sweetheart. I ventured out to get the prize money and came back here to wait for you since I’m SUCH a gentleman.”

 

Fey frowned to find out Saei and Basil’s whereabouts were unknown.

 

“…I hope they’re okay.”

 

“They’re brothers, right? I’m sure they’re catching up on old times, sharing a drink or…whatever siblings do. I wouldn’t worry about it,” he smiled and finished his drink in one gulp with a sigh. That was all she could do for now…

 

She was sure they both needed time to…readjust in a sense to having the other back in their life. With a soft sigh, Fey continued to eat while Sid finished with a hand to his stomach and closed his eyes in pure bliss.

 

“I think…I stuffed myself too much…”

 

“I didn’t know hares ate a lot,” she lightly teased and his ears twitched at her taunt with one eye opening.

 

“…do my ears deceive me…? Did our innocent kitten just try to take a stab at me?”

 

She giggled lightly and pointed her utensil at him.

 

“You asked for it, stuffing yourself like some pig.”

 

“I don’t know when my next meal will be. I have to make sure I store some away.”

 

“Will you even be able to travel comfortably if you’re full?”

 

“As long as my stomach doesn’t jiggle a lot, I’ll be fine.

 

She just shook her head and went back to eating without making herself full. If she was satisfied, that was good enough and even with a small amount of gold on them, they could always share a meal.

 

“How long will it take to get to the pass?” She asked, downing a few more bites before finishing her drink. Sid stood slowly and counted in his head.

 

“Hmm…three hours? Depends on how fast we ride…or if we need to stop for breaks.”

 

“Not too bad, I guess,” she said and stood as well, smiling at how well the morning was going so far. “We have everything we need, right?”

 

“Yep! I did also go back to our old inn to gather our things…like the plush toys you won. I wouldn’t leave that behind.”

 

“Aww, you like the bunny I got for you?” She laughed lightly and was guided out into the bright sun by her companion.

 

“Yeah…he has some charm to him. I’ll put him on my bed back home,” he smiled and ruffled her neat hair to mess it up.

 

“H-hey!”

 

“Gonna miss you, kitten,” he teased and had his hand swatted away with her glaring up at him.

 

“Keep it up and I won’t be missing you.”

 

“Oh? So, you would miss me?”

 

“Arrgghh, you’re so frustrating,” she growled a bit and folded her arms to begin walking to the entrance of the city where hopefully the brothers were waiting for them with Sid in tow.

 

“But you still love me.”

 

“Far from it.”

 

“Then why did you say it in your sleep?”

 

“H-huh?!” Her face paled but he hid his laughter behind his hand.

 

“You are so easy to tease. I’m going to miss having this much fun.”

 

“Well, I won’t.”

 

“You have to admit I am the life of the party…you’re going to be stuck traveling with Mr. Idiot and Mr….well don’t him enough to give him a title but you know what I mean.”

 

Fey just sighed…but inwardly…she would have to admit to herself that she would miss Sid. The short time that they have traveled, he was now a friend and she couldn’t forget when he put his life on the line to distract that wyrsuil.

 

“…thanks, Sid,” she said with a smile but he just raised an eyebrow at her sudden mood change and took a step away.

 

“…I don’t feel comfortable that you were bantering with me and now being serious. Are you going to claw me?”

 

“No, silly,” she laughed lightly and they finally reached the front of the city where the fountain rested to bid them a farewell. Before they fully left, Fey turned to the fountain with her hands clasped before her. Sid stopped to look back at her but figured this could be the last time she saw Treaish…especially if she was heading far north. It was nice to say goodbye to not just people…but places.

 

‘…let me have a safe journey…let my friends be safe…thank you,’ she prayed and bowed her head before going back to stand by Sid.

 

“Ready!”

 

“That’s the spirit! We’re off once again!” He exclaimed and took the steps that led out to where the stables were. Visitors were welcomed to leave their mounts there during their stay…but…it was not the scene Fey was expecting. With a frown, she came to a slow halt to see Saei already waiting on them. He sat upon a rashein, just like theirs but this one seemed a bit older since it had more antlers sprouting as it took this opportunity to nibble on some grass while it waited. Satchels were tied to the saddle and the dragon merely glanced over at them to see that they had arrived before looking away, a few small scratches decorating his cheek.

 

‘…no morning…or anything…?’ Fey asked and felt a small twist of pain entering her heart. Did she…dream last night…? Did it never happen? Maybe…Saei didn’t kiss her when he thought she was asleep…and it was just her heart playing tricks on her but she swore she felt it. Frowning a bit more, she looked over to see Basil a bit away from the stable, sitting on the rashein they had traveled with…and he was looking into the forest.

 

“…well…this is going to be a fun trip,” Sid groaned and retrieved his grioek. The two-headed mount grunted at being pulled away from the trough but obeyed Sid nonetheless as he easily swung his leg over to sit on the saddle. Since they only had three mounts, the other one being lost during the chase with the wyrsuil, it was apparent Fey would have to ride with someone.

 

Mentally, Saei would had been her first choice…but…it felt as if he was dead once more and maybe she needed some time…away from him. The thought hurt…

 

Basil would had been nice…but he also seemed to be going through something…and she wasn’t stupid. There was tension between the two of them…so she wasn’t sure if something happened…or maybe they just hadn’t spoken yet.

 

Seeing her predicament, Sid frowned with a sigh to see the brothers not even greeting Fey…or asking how she was.

 

“Come on, Fey,” he said with seriousness, holding his hand out for her. Looking away from the brothers, Fey carefully stepped into the stirrup and would have to ride sideways due to her gown but Sid moved back a bit for her.

 

“Sorry…I know how full you are…”

 

“You worried about that? I get to ride with you. I’d put up with anything to do that,” he chuckled as she pushed her dress down when it came up a bit on the saddle.

 

“And there’s the teasing,” she joked as he reached around her to grab the reins.

 

“…didn’t intend it to be teasing,” he shrugged which made her look up at him curiously but he just returned it with a smile. “Ready to go home?”

 

“…yes, very much,” she answered and held onto the saddle when Sid pulled on the reins to steer his grioek away from the city to begin picking up speed. Fey didn’t even have to look behind them for she heard the pounding of hooves following them but she did take one last look at the city as it started to grow smaller.

 

“So, tell me about your home,” Sid looked down at her to bring her attention away from everything around her.

 

“My home?”

 

“Yeah…what’s it like? I never traveled past the Northern Pass before…and I’m afraid I never will…so tell me about it…”

 

Fey lowered her eyes to watch the grass disappearing quickly beneath the grioek’s talons as it trotted along. “I…don’t know a whole lot. All I remember is that we lived peacefully. Menders just aren’t felines…so we came in all different races…even humans. We thrived together. Our village was pretty big. About the size of Treaish…maybe bigger.”

 

“Really?!” Sid exclaimed in surprise and Fey nodded with a smile at the memories.

 

“There was a lot of us actually…and whenever neighboring kingdoms needed a hand, we’d be there. I was only small then but I remember my father and mother telling me a lot of their travels. People even saw us as holy or spiritual beings.”

 

“I can see that.”

 

“I do remember…us having a big temple,” she smiled fondly. “Inside is where you could pray or seek guidance. I didn’t know any better back then…but I went in there as a little girl to see stones. Each stone…was a departed mender…who had moved onto the next life. The stones were left behind to give guidance to the next generation. In the middle…was a large statue of a woman who represented the sun.”

 

“…why the sun?” He asked curiously.

 

“Well…I read in this book I was given about menders…that we were blessed by the sun and given this power of life…for the sun brings life. Without the sun, nothing would grow and everything would die…so menders were to uphold this tradition but in spirit, not literally making the grass or flowers grow.

 

“Sounds like a lot of work and a lot of responsibility.”

 

“A bit but I was happy. The shrine felt safe…like you could rest there. At times…call me crazy…but I could hear the statue…singing…”

 

Sid raised an eyebrow down at her…but she was looking out toward the endless plains with a soft glow in her eyes which he knew meant she was speaking the truth.

 

“It was a gentle song…that brought me comfort. The words were foreign…so I had no idea what they meant.”

 

“Do you remember it?” He asked and she looked up at him with a nod. “…could you sing it?”

 

“O-oh my singing voice isn’t…that great….” She blushed lightly with her ears folding back but Sid chuckled.

 

“Humor me.”

 

Fey whimpered nervously but closed her eyes to picture herself back at that shrine…away from ears that could hear and sat before the statue of the beautiful woman. She could hear it…

 

*Yehl kuo rahei nobeio

 

  Ashtai mehi daclua ieyao*

 

Fey opened her eyes once she had finished repeating the statue’s song to look up at Sid shyly to see his eyes a bit wider.

 

“…it was…more a hymn…than a full song.”

 

“Since when could you sing?”

 

“I…n-never sing before people.”

 

“Well you should and charge them. You’d earn a profit,” he smiled and plopped his large hand on her head to make her even more nervous as she pushed it off.

 

“Y-you’re just teasing.”

 

“Wish I was,” he said and grabbed the reins once more. “When you feel stressed…or sad…sing.” Fey looked up at him in confusion but he just glanced down at her after watching where he was going. “If the hymn brings you comfort, sing.”

 

“…why are you serious all of a sudden?” She giggled and he just huffed with a cute pout.

 

“Well if you want me back to my old flirting ways…” he threatened and kicked at the sides of the grioek who cawed loudly to pick up on its speed to begin running. Fey yelped at nearly falling off but was forced to hold onto Sid who was just laughing at her expense.

 

“S-s-s-slow down!” She yelled over the rushing wind and fell back more onto the hare’s body.

 

“You said speed up?! Gotcha!” He tightened the reins even more to send the confused mount even harder.

 

“Sid! I’m going to kill you!”

 

Slowly, the mount returned to its prior speed of just a trot and all Fey could hear was his laughter. She dislodged her grip from him, still a bit shaken from the change of pace but glared up at him to punch him right in the chest.

 

“Y-you! You idiot!”

 

His laughing slowly calmed until he was just smiling down at her.

 

“You wanted me to flirt.”

 

“No, I didn’t!”

 

“But see how easy it was to clear your mind,” he told her with a serious tone and she held back her hand from punching him again, looking confused.

 

“…what do you mean?”

 

“…I’m not stupid. I could tell since we left Treaish that something was bothering you…hence why I’ve been talking to you and being a nuisance…to clear your mind.”

 

So…Sid was aggravating her…and wanting to know more about her home…so that she would stop worrying? Slowly, she lowered her hand with a sigh.

 

“…that doesn’t exclude you from being an idiot.”

 

“Guilty,” he chuckled but stiffened when he heard hooves approaching them quickly and he looked back to see Saei racing to them…looking rather angry.

 

“…uh-oh…looks like I’m in trouble…”

 

“Huh?” Fey looked over his arm to pale at seeing the Imperial pulling on his reins harshly when he came up beside them, his rashein kicking at the ground at having to use a burst of speed like that.

 

“What were you thinking, hare?” He bit out, keeping his mount under control and finally relaxed.

 

“Just a bit of fun on this dull trip,” Sid shrugged.

 

“You could had gotten her injured.”

 

“Fey is fine. See?” He pointed down to the mender who was resting more against him after that little run and Saei growled in his throat while turning his mount a bit.

 

“I do not trust her with you…she will ride with me.”

 

“What?!” They both exclaimed in unison but Saei sent him a look that he deciphered as do not argue or else. With a sigh and a roll of his eyes, Sid kept his mount still as he dismounted and held his arms out to help Fey down.

 

“I got busted,” he whispered and she just huffed when he released her.

 

“It’s what you get for being so reckless,” she chastised and watched as Sid remounted.

 

“It’s gonna be so lonely now…it was nice while it lasted. Good luck with him,” he warned and moved his mount around to head back to Basil to see if he could convince him to be his new conversation companion. Fey shook her head at him before realizing the situation she was in.

 

She would now have to ride with Saei…who she felt…uncomfortable with at the moment since there was a large wall between them. Nervously, she smoothed out her gown and stepped over to his mount. His large hand came into view to offer her help on getting up. Unsure what to even say, she carefully placed her foot on the stirrup and hoisted herself up but blushed a bit out of instinct when Saei placed his hand on her back to steady her.

 

The rashein raised its head to look back to see her sit down on the saddle with Saei placing his arms on either side of her to grab the reins before carrying on at a slow trot.

 

‘…am…I going to be stuck like this for three hours…?’ She asked herself as they rode in silence which didn’t help her none. At least Sid kept her mind off things…but here…her mind wandered. Her eyes were drawn down to the arm before her, watching as the muscles flexed when he would steer the mount around a small obstacle…like a rock or small creature that would be in their way and it only brought back what had happened…or what she thought happened. Having his claws on her cheek…lifting her face…

 

‘No!’ She stopped the memory from flowing but couldn’t stop the color rising to her cheeks. She needed to start a conversation…or something. She needed to get him to talk. Gulping nervously, she ran her claws over the silk of her gown.

 

“U-umm…how…did you sleep, Saei?” It was a dumb question. She might as well be asking about the weather and after a second of silence passed, she thought maybe it would had been best if she kept her mouth shut but she felt her heart slowing a bit.

 

“Fairly well…a few hours sufficed. Yourself?”

 

‘Thank the gods he’s talking,’ she sighed mentally but still didn’t dare look up at him.

 

“I slept okay.” She wasn’t sure if he was going to bring up what he had done but since he didn’t, it was a sure sign that it didn’t happen. The conversation came to a dead halt…and silence was her friend once more. Maybe he just wasn’t…up for talking. Lowering her eyes sadly to watch the ground going by slowly, she decided to start counting blades of grass to occupy her time.

 

“…you pretended to be sleeping,” he spoke in a hushed tone which startled her and she was forced to look up at him as if asking what he meant but his silver eyes trapped hers accusingly.

 

“…I…d-don’t know what…you mean…”

 

“You do,” he told her and took a glance over his shoulder to see how far away their companions were. It seemed the hare had found his place beside Basil who was smiling. They were out of ear shot…so the dragon drew his eyes back to her. “You know very well.”

 

“I h-honestly don’t. I was asleep the entire night,” she could feel her heartrate picking up slightly.

 

“Asleep the entire night, you say?”

 

“Y-yes!” She could feel herself losing for she wanted to look away so badly but he made it feel as if she couldn’t.

 

“…you’re a pitiful liar,” he whispered and held the reins within one hand to bring up his free hand, his claws brushing against her chin.

 

Her face darkened at the touch but she forced herself to pull away, not wanting to feel this way anymore and she looked up at him.

 

“Y-you told me…to put it out of our minds…”

 

“I know…and I did…”

 

“…then…I don’t understand…”

 

“You don’t have to,” he told her and used his arm to pull her back against him on the saddle to be resting up against his broad chest. She was only growing more nervous and did her best not to be so close to him but his grip remained.

 

“I h-have to understand…I can’t speak about it…b-but…all this is going on…and then you don’t speak to me this morning as if you’re mad at me,” she admitted and gasped when he forced her head up with a grip to her chin. The sun only seemed to make his eyes glow more as well as bouncing off his scales to look almost like black gems.

 

“…good morning, Fey,” he whispered and she felt her heart nearly stop.

 

“M…morning…?”

 

“Did you have a restful night?”

 

“U-u-umm…we just…talked about it.”

 

“I am asking you again…”

 

“…I did…you?”

 

“Yes…now…do you recall anything happening while you slept?” He asked, still holding her head up so that she couldn’t look away.

 

“N…n-no…”

 

“…nothing?”

 

“…I don’t…think so…?”

 

“…you do not remember this?” He whispered and brought his head down to only brush his lips across hers, making her muscles lock up in surprise. From behind, Basil and Sid would have no idea what was going on. It only appeared as if Saei was talking to her…but Fey felt the pain that was once in her heart earlier being slowly mended as if he had that power to take away emotional aches.

 

“…y…you blamed yourself…for caving…that one time…” she whispered, still a prisoner to him and this time the dragon didn’t pull away. He remained close.

 

“Caving makes it seem sinful…” he told her and she couldn’t help the small smile.

 

“…so…you’re telling me…you’re want to go against your own words?”

 

“…yes,” he responded and closed his eyes to enjoy the small moment as his lips barely rested against hers. Fey’s eyes closed as well, sighing softly against them. “…why won’t you let me speak…?”

 

“Feeling…and speaking…are two different paths…” he explained.”

 

“…I’m not following…”

 

“…speaking words…feels like a bond…etched in stone…”

 

Her eyes slowly opened with a frown forming.

 

“…so…you don’t want it to be permanent…?” She asked in confusion, watching as Saei’s eyes opened as well.

 

“I am not saying that…but if you speak words…you will feel bound to me…which you will regret when a more suitable male catches your eye.”

 

Fey frowned more and reached up to place her clawed hand to his chest, feeling his steady heart beating against her palm.

 

“…is that what you’re afraid of…?”

 

“…a small portion…not the main concern.”

 

“What is the main concern then?”

 

“…I cannot tell you at this time…” he whispered, placing his own hand over hers.

 

“…is that why I have to wait?”

 

“Yes. When the time comes and you have known my reason…if you still think the same…you may speak to me.”

 

The mender sighed softly. She wasn’t sure exactly what he was hiding…but at least she understood a bit better now. Raising her eyes to meet his, she smiled softly.

 

“…but…you haven’t told me to stop feeling…”

 

“…no, I haven’t…should I?”

 

With a huff, Fey reached up to press the side of her face to his chin. “Even if you did…it wouldn’t stop me.”

 

“I figured as much,” he responded with a small smile and brushed aside some strands of her hair.

 

“Is…that why you were upset this morning? Or…is it something else?” She asked and gave him a bit of space. With the mood dying down, she saw the seriousness returning to his eyes as he looked forward.

 

“…it was Basil.”

 

“…what’s wrong with him?”

 

“Nothing…we spoke last night…and it got physical.”

 

Her eyes widened with worry and looked back to the scratches on his cheek. So…did Basil cause those?

 

“…you two fought?”

 

“Exchanged a single blow. Nothing major.”

 

“What were you two fighting about?”

 

She felt him exhale against her arm as a breeze blew his black locks away from his face.

 

“…years apart…and separated on bad terms. A simple conversation cannot mend that. He thought it would.”

 

“Saei…can I ask you something?” The dragon glanced down at her, signaling her to continue. “…do you love Basil as your brother? Don’t think about your differences…or how you’re not blood related…you two did everything together…all of us did. Think about that…deep down…he’s still your brother. He looked up to you…and he wanted to apologize to you yesterday…for everything. If he didn’t love you…why bother seeking that?”

 

The question she posed repeated in his mind as he drew his eyes forward in thought.

 

“I’m not saying don’t ever fight again…any sibling is going to fight the other…whether verbally or physically…if anything it shows how much you both care. If he truly was no longer your brother, you’d just treat him as a friend…or not even that…but he’s traveling with us…and will be. It doesn’t have to be now but there is time for mending. I should know,” she giggled at her own small joke and he couldn’t help his own smile from showing.

 

“…in due time, Fey…perhaps…just like all things.”

 

It would be a start. Feeling more comfortable now that she had talked with Saei, she rested her head back against his chest for only just a moment until she felt the mount under them rear back with a loud neigh of fear. Fey gasped in worry, gripping onto Saei’s arm who growled when an arrow landed right near his rashein’s hoof.

 

“W-w-what’s going on?!”

 

Not having time to tell her, Saei whirled his mount around quickly to face Basil and Sid who seemed to be trying to calm down their own mounts.

 

“Stay as a group!” He yelled at them and ducked his head when an arrow whizzed by it.

 

“What the hell?!” Sid replied, bringing his grioek up close to Saei while Basil took to the other side of his brother, glaring off toward the open plains to see a large group of around twenty heading their way. It was hard to discern what they were yet…

 

“Bandits?” Basil asked with a growl.

 

“Most likely,” he answered, putting their differences aside for a moment for this common problem.

 

“They messed with the wrong ferals,” Sid glared at the group and gripped his reins hard. “Let’s give them a chase?”

 

“Keep together…block arrows from hurting the mounts. If we’re grounded, it’ll become tougher. If they get close, I’ll steal one and go on the offense.”

 

“Gotcha,” Sid kicked the sides of his mount to get it going into a swift run while Saei and Basil followed suit. Saei tried to stay within the middle of his two comrades while he felt Fey gripping his shirt harder in fear. “Stay close to me,” he warned her. “And stay down.”

 

“R-right.”

 

Her ears flicked when she heard another arrow barely missing them and did her best to keep her legs close to Saei but also not wanting to make it harder for him to steer the frightened mount.

 

She heard hollering from their attackers getting closer and closer.

 

“How about this?!” She looked over to see Basil riding beside them but he raised his palm to point it at the oncomers. Fire licked at his fingers as he angrily tossed it behind them like a bomb, igniting the grass in its wake. A few attackers were thrown from their mounts but most went around it.

 

“Damnit!” Basil faced forward once more while Saei seemed to be assessing the situation. Whatever they were riding…were faster than their steeds…and if they managed to catch up, it would be hard for three of them to defend Fey without her getting mixed up in the mess.

 

He only had two options…

 

One of them would be crazy…

 

The other one only scared him…

 

Both put Fey in grave danger…

 

“Fey, take the reins!” He yelled over the roar of the rushing wind, releasing them as she looked up in confusion.


“Saei?!” Unsure what he planned to do, she quickly grabbed the reins and had no idea how to steer. She could feel a sense of fear rising in her body as he turned his head to see them slowly catching up.


“Keep riding hard. Do not look back!” He instructed and carefully dismounted the horse to land hard on his legs due to the speed but grounded himself with his tail. Fey looked back to see that Saei was now facing them head on.


“We have to help him!” She called over to Basil who glanced back as well. He gritted his teeth and drew his eyes to Sid.


“Protect Fey! I got him!” The feline pulled on the reins of his rashein and steered it back toward his brother to lend him a hand in whatever he planned while Sid kept close to Fey to help guide her as fast as he could away.


Saei unsheathed his sword, feeling the pounding of hooves beneath his clawed feet. One of the archers broke from the formation to head straight at him, raising their bow to send a projectile right at him. The dragon raised his sword to slice it in two and lowered it when the archer came upon him. Avoiding another attack, Saei swung around to impale the archer on top of his steed and pushed off the body to steal it for himself.


Basil met him halfway, turning his mount to ride alongside his brother.


“We have to distract them!” He yelled, moving his head to dodge an arrow.


“Take the left side! I’ll go for the right!”


Basil nodded at the command and veered his rashein off to the left-hand side, slowing his steed down to now be riding alongside the attackers. They didn’t seem pleased at all, a few broke away to try and assault him in close combat. Swords and daggers were drawn. The rashein neighed in fear as Basil raised his fiery fist to connect it to the first rider’s face, sending him off his mount to be trampled.


“THAT’S ONE!” He yelled with a smirk and looked over to see his brother was taking on his own amount but growled when his sword easily decapitated two heads at once. “Show off,” he muttered and urged his rashein to go faster to catch up with a few more. What he didn’t expect though was for the bandits to figure them out so quickly. A few swordsmen in the middle pushed forward, ignoring both Basil and Saei to charge straight for Sid and Fey.


“Damnit!” Basil looked over to his brother worriedly. “SAEI! They’re going for them!” He called out and his brother turned to see that his kin was indeed right. With a growl, Saei impaled a rider near him through the chest before his steed stormed off after the broken group to hopefully catch them in time.


Sid curiously looked backed and saw around ten men were on their tails. With a groan of annoyance, he looked to Fey who seemed frightened.


“We got company, kitten!”


At his warning, she also looked back.


“I got them for ya!” He slowed down his mount to no longer be by her side as he steered his two headed grioek into the side of another steed. It was close enough that Sid could give them a swift kick off their saddle to be pummeled by hooves. “Serves you right!”


Fey tried to remain calm, holding onto the reins tightly and paled when two riders cornered her on either side. She couldn’t be screaming for help now! One rider raised an arrow and sent it soaring at her. The mender ducked and narrowed her eyes while raising her hand at him. To her surprise, her eyes glowed faintly as did her hand to send a burst of holy light at the rider. He screamed in agony as he disintegrated into ashes, leaving the horse unscathed.


“W-w-what did I just do?!” She yelled at herself and cried out in pain when something sharp entered her side through her ribs. Looking down, an arrow stuck out from the wound. Wincing in pain, Fey glared over at her attacker to roar at the top of her lungs and sent an attack at him to knock him from his horse.


“Fey!” Sid called out and kicked off another rider before trying to catch up with her. From what he could see, she limped forward a bit but did her best to sit back up. He rode up beside her to see what had happened. Pain was written on her face as she held onto the arrow, each movement of the steed making it jar.


“I got you!” He came closer to take the reins to try and slow them both down. If that arrow hit anything vital, Fey could be in serious trouble but the hare looked back to see how the brothers were doing since he was busy with her. The bandits were thinning with only a few remaining. At seeing their numbers dropping, most thought it was a lost cause and turned tail.


One of the riders that remained came up alongside Basil to bravely bring down a dagger but the feline guarded his face with his arm. It caused a nasty gash but with a wince, Basil swung at the man hard to burn his face.


“Basil!”


The thief looked over to see his brother riding toward him after having dealt with his own with his sword raised to slice open the man’s back who had attacked him. It was a swift but painful end while blood dripped down Basil’s wound.


“You good to ride still?” Saei asked, panting slightly.


“Y-yeah…thanks…” Basil replied and held his arm to him to begin riding back toward Sid and Fey. The attack came quick and left just as soon as it had started…but a lot of damage had been done. Thankfully, not to their mounts so that they could keep traveling…but Basil saw that Saei’s vest had been cut off and he had a nasty looking cut across his chest and on his stomach.


“…you…going to be okay?” Basil asked worriedly.


“Yes…you?”


The battle still held their differences at bay and all Basil could do was smirk with a tough look.

“Me? As if they could damage to me.”


“Your arm is bleeding.”


“Well…it’s nothing.”


“…we’ll patch it up…” Saei told him and looked up to see Sid and Fey had stopped not too far ahead. Hopefully they escaped most of the damage but it didn’t look good when he saw the hare quickly dismounting and helping Fey off the rashein. Drawing closer, Saei’s eyes filled with worry…


Blood…and lots of it…


He felt his body tighten and his fangs tingling but he bit down on his tongue as he dismounted the stolen steed who scampered off quickly at being released from the unknown rider and quickly approached Sid. The hare held Fey in his arms who was panting softly and pale with an arrow sticking out from her side.


“She fended off two on her own…but got shot…” he explained, doing his best to keep her still but she cried out softly when the arrow moved.


Basil worriedly leaped down from his horse to kneel before Sid, taking off his vest to place it over her shivering body.


“She’s going to need attention…if we can remove the arrow and stitch it up…you brought medical supplies, right?”


“Of course, incase this happened,” Sid replied and transferred Fey over to Basil’s lap as he quickly went back to his steed to pull out some supplies like gauzes, thread, and a needle. Worriedly, he came back but slowed at seeing Saei just…standing there…looking down at the blood with his lips parted and fangs showing…


The soft cry of Fey only brought his attention back, pulling Sid to kneel before the wounded girl once more.


“Damn, this is bad. Fey, stay awake with us,” he told her and started to thread the needle but her breathing was slowing.


Saei’s silver eyes could only focus on watching the blood taint her gown…and soaking through it to drip on the grass.


“Fey…?” Basil called as he kept her still while Sid finished threading the needle and touched the wound. The mender whimpered sadly in pain and opened her eyes in slits, looking up at them in a plea to make it stop.


“I know, kitten. I know…we gotta get it out though…so…it’s going to hurt…bad. We got you though,” Sid reassured and broke off a bit of the arrow so that it would be easier to manage. Basil had his claws on her head and back in reassurance with even his tail winding around hers.


“…hopefully you’re not modest either…” The hare guilty said and had to lift her gown all the way to her ribs which revealed her legs and undergarment. “We’ll each deserve one harsh beating after this. Promise,” he tried to jest but her eyes were filled with so much pain, that it was hard to watch.


“Alright…hold her still, Basil.”


The feline sighed nervously and held her to him. At knowing what was coming, Fey kept whimpering sadly when Sid grabbed hold of the arrow’s head.


“One…two…three!” He announced and pulled it out. Blood poured out as she cried as hard as she could that made Basil frown at her state and what she was going through while Sid quickly placed a gauze to the wound to stop it from flowing.


“Stay with us, Fey…” He told her but Sid watched as her eyes started to close.


“Fey, come on…” Basil reassured but the last thing the mender saw…were silver eyes like the ones in her dream…and felt nothing but pain erupting through her before she was forced to pass out.



© 2017 Jensen Roman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

120 Views
Added on August 8, 2017
Last Updated on August 8, 2017
Tags: journey, adventure, violence, romance

Journey of the Mender


Author

Jensen Roman
Jensen Roman

Buford, GA



About
Hello! I am a 30 yr. old woman who is compassionate for writing, being imaginative and creating my own world. more..

Writing