Chapter 16: A Brother's Bond

Chapter 16: A Brother's Bond

A Chapter by Jensen Roman
"

Being reunited is not always a good thing and a harsh truth is revealed.

"

Chapter 16: A Brother’s Bond

 

         Time had slowed, almost to a crawling halt…and it was a bit suffocating. The body of Yhisin rested before her still…without any sign of him coming back as a cruel joke. Someone who was willing to go up against a foe for her…lost their life. It made her heart twist in pain at the idea…and she let out a soft sigh while resting back on her ankles. He was happy now…at least she knew that…but…the fact remained that…that beast attacked them…all because of her. It was no wonder why she felt inklings of guilt rising.

 

“…you alright, kitten?” Sid had made his way over to her with a frown and carefully sat down beside her, trying not to look over at the sickening wound on the fox. He gave him enough respect for what he did and wouldn’t sneer at the injury. Fey only sighed again in response with a shake of her head. “…talk to me…I think those two back there are going to figure out their own stuff,” the hare explained, glancing back to watch as the Imperial grabbed his sword to sheathe it and stood to examine the damage done to his body…while Basil looked like he wanted to approach him.

 

“Sid…can you be honest with me…?” She whispered and looked up at him when he turned his orange eyes back onto her.

“Of course. What’s eating away at you?” The mender frowned and looked back down at Yhisin.

 

“…should…I stop journeying…?”

 

“…stop…? You mean trying to find your home?”

 

“Not even to that point…” Her ears folded back as she bit her lower lip to try and hold back her sadness that wanted to show. “…I…I’m really tempted…to…give up…and…just turn myself in…” Sid’s eyes widened at her sudden change of mind but even being this close to her, he felt a heavy weight rolling off her. With a frown, Sid placed a comforting hand on her shoulder just as a tear fell.

 

“Listen…I’m sure it’s been difficult so far…even before you two met me…and yes…it’ll get even harder…but you’re a strong feral. You’re a mender…you can overcome anything. Let that Hulei city king send everyone at his disposal…we’ll send them home running,” he told her to try and raise her spirits but her hands trembled.

 

“W-what…if they are as strong as that wolf…? I’d be putting you all in danger…I’m…only going to get you killed…”

 

“…do you think I didn’t know there would be a bit of conflict on the way?” He raised an eyebrow, removing his hand from her shoulder and looked up at the night sky which hadn’t been tainted with what went on down below. “…I said I would get you two to the pass…and I will…and even Basil is risking a lot to get you back home,” he smiled and glanced down at her. “The idiot does like you after all,” he admitted, only making Fey flush with a tiny bit of color but she looked down at her claws.

 

“…I just don’t want my friends to get caught up in what I am. It’s not really fair…just because I was born a mender…that you all have to be subjected to people thinking I’m just some object.”

 

“Do you think we care?” He chuckled and slowly stood, offering his hand out to her. She looked up at him in question. “If you are truly going to fear everything in life…then there’s no sense on living. I’ve been having fun since we left my home. It was dull so this has put some excitement in my life. Going to be a shame once we’re at the pass though so don’t beat yourself up too much. We’re all in this together. You’ll get home.”

 

A soft smile of relief appeared on her face as she took his hand to be gently pulled up onto her feet.

 

“That’s my kitten,” he smiled and ruffled her hair which she just swatted away with a small laugh.

 

“I’m too tired to chastise you right now.”

 

“Exactly why I should take advantage of it,” he winked and curiously looked back to see the Imperial slowly making his way over to them with Basil a few steps behind. Sid still felt uneasy around this new feral…and didn’t know exactly who he was so he remained close to Fey. Saei still had wounds from what Fey could see that would need to be cleaned.

 

She placed a hand to her chest nervously when he came closer. “…Saei…do you need help?” She asked but the Imperial stepped past her without even a glance to look down at his comrade. Frowning, Fey turned to him to see a look of loss in his eyes as he deeply exhaled and knelt beside the fox with Basil now joining them as well.

 

“I…tried to save him…but he said it was time for him to no longer be here,” Fey took a step closer, relaying the message Yhisin had given her which finally drew Saei’s attention to her. “He said…he was sorry that he couldn’t keep going with you…but I could tell in his voice that he wants you to be happy…just like how he is now with his family.”

 

After listening to his friend’s message, Saei turned back to the fox and gently scooped him up in his arms like a limp doll and stood. “…you made the right decision,” he replied, glancing down at her once more to see that his words comforted her heart just slightly. “I will go bury him…return to the inn. I will be back much later,” he explained to them and took his leave, heading away from the bloody battlefield slowly to make his way into the woods near Treaish. Fey frowned to see him leaving while still being wounded and not taking her up on her offer. It also saddened her to see that he was putting weight back onto his good knee once again. The battle must had worn him out and now it was all catching back up with him.

 

“…I’m…not dreaming…right?” Basil asked, breaking the awkward silence of the three remaining ferals.

 

“Nah…if we were all dreaming, it’d be a lot prettier than this,” Sid shrugged and looked over to his friend with a hand on his hip. “Why do you think that?”

 

The thief lowered his ears as he finally lost sight of Saei. “…is…my brother really alive…?” He whispered and looked down to Fey. “…are you sure this isn’t some trick…?” The mender sighed with a shake of her head. “No, it’s really Saei.”

 

“…your brother…?” Sid questioned, looking confused. “…I thought you said he was dead…”

 

“Yeah I thought so…” Basil responded but motioned to where Saei left. “…but…even if this is some cruel trick to play with all of our minds…when he came to save me…I felt something. When I looked up at him and he looked to me…I felt…like a boy again…with my big brother watching over me…”

 

Sid looked to the forest curiously. “…well…if that’s the case, you should be thrilled.”

 

“I…honestly don’t know what to feel…” He admitted with his head hanging low, catching Fey’s attention who smiled and touched his arm to raise his eyes to her.

 

“It’s been a really long day…for all of us. Saei has a bigger inn room than we had…so let’s clean up and get some rest,” she suggested and after a moment Basil sighed with a nod. It was a tiring day…with losing Fey and worrying what had happened to her…

 

He wanted to ask questions…

 

Basil glanced over at Sid who was already slowly heading back to the city, cracking his sore back. “…we’ll be behind you…I need to talk with Fey alone…”

 

The hare glanced over his shoulder at them a teasing glare. “Don’t keep her all to yourself now,” he said and turned back toward the city to keep walking, giving them enough space.

 

Now that they were alone, Basil exhaled in relief and gently took Fey’s hand in his to begin walking back as well. The bold move made her ears twitch shyly while a pain of guilt surfaced in her heart at remembering what Saei had told her. She frowned and lowered her eyes…thinking Basil visited a brothel…while they shared the same city. His brother watched over her…protected her…while he did gods know what. It wasn’t the only thing that made her heart ache…

 

Her mind brought up the memory of when she was back at the inn with Saei…

 

I am no fool…what you feel…what I feel…it must be put out of our minds.’ Even now, she still felt the small touch of his lips on the corner of her mouth and while still being held in a cage of confusion, it only made the pain that much greater. There was one side of Saei that she felt she couldn’t reach…like it was hidden, locked away and the key was swallowed…while the other only showed for a split second to make her heart stop…before it would vanish again.

 

She was unsure what to do…but all she could do was just wait…until Saei was ready.

 

“…how are you feeling?” Basil’s questioned tore her away from Saei to look up at him. He seemed worried and his claws held her hand tighter.

 

“O-oh, I’m fine…just a bit worn out from today.”

 

“…do you mind me asking…what happened?”

 

“What happened when?” She asked nervously, unsure if he wanted to know details about what went on between her and Saei.

 

“When Sid and I went into the arena…when we finished…you were gone. What happened?”

 

That moment…

 

Fey lowered her eyes to watch the ground move under their feet with a frown. “…well…I was really tired so I must have accidentally fallen into a light sleep…but when I heard footsteps, I thought maybe it was you or Sid coming back so before I could open my eyes…I got knocked out pretty hard. I think I still have a bump,” she told him and used her free hand to feel in her hair. She winced when her claws came upon a knot on her scalp. With a frown, Basil pushed her hand away to lay his over the injury which only brought more color to her cheeks.

 

“Go on.”

 

“When…I woke up, I was under the opera house…and chained up. My ankles…wrists…they really hurt…and I was so scared for I was gagged and wouldn’t be able to yell for help.”

 

“…so, some b******s kidnapped you?” His jaw tightened at the thought of what they could have done…or maybe did do. She managed a nod.

 

“…they…were either going to use me to heal…or…” She bit her lower lip when she felt her throat closing. Basil didn’t need to know more and rubbed her head gently. “…you don’t need to say more about that…how did you get out…?”

 

“It was Saei…well…at the time, it was just Imperial Rial. He murdered the men…and let me go. I was so confused as to why if he was working for the king…so…I kind of slapped the mask off him.”

 

“You slapped my brother?”

 

“Not his face!” She tried to defend herself when Basil chuckled and pulled her closer. “…I knocked his mask off…and that’s when I saw that it was Saei.”

 

“Did you feel the same way I do?”

 

“Like it’s not happening?”

 

“Yeah.”

 

“I did at first,” she frowned. “…I thought…this can’t be Saei…but…he told me that I needed to rest so he took my back to his inn…and the more I was around him walking back, I felt that…I guess bond? When I looked at him…I could see the boy…”

 

“…yeah…I was feeling that too,” he admitted in a hushed tone.

 

“He was limping too…so it was another big giveaway…”

 

“Did he say anything about it? About…me?” Basil looked down to her worriedly but she shook her hand.

 

“No…even though it’s Saei…I feel personally…his life under the king…did a number on him. At first he felt so distant…like there was a valley between us.”

 

“And now?”

 

His sudden question made her heart stop with memories resurfacing but she did her best to hide her nervousness. It was between her and Saei at the moment…whatever was going on.

 

“I still have that feeling…so maybe he needs time to readjust to having friends near again…” It wasn’t a lie which was good.

 

“Guess you’re right…” he sighed and raised his eyes to see Sid waiting for them at the city entrance as he took care of their rashein and grioek. The poor things were probably waiting to get a move along. “…do…you think he’ll come with us?”

 

“…I think so…we’ll just need to sleep on it and I guess discuss it in the morning,” she offered with a kind smile. “…but Saei is still Saei…somewhere in there. No matter what happened…he’s still your kin.”

 

“I know…I just…hope he sees that…” Basil rubbed her head one more time before allowing his hand to fall but kept hers in his. As they grew closer, Sid looked over to see them…hand in hand together and he huffed with hands on his hips.

 

“You two sure are getting touchy. Do I need to find a room for myself?”

 

The hare’s teasing only made Fey stiffen as she pulled her hand away from Basil’s and walked faster nervously but gave Sid a harsh look. “Please don’t kill me in my sleep,” he chuckled and left their cared for mounts behind to follow the mender who would lead them to the inn while Basil came up to keep him company…or so he thought. His ear was roughly grabbed and yanked on, causing him to yelp and punch the feline’s arm.

 

“Knock it off!”

 

“Quit teasing Fey!”

 

“It’s harmless fun. Don’t worry, I’m not going to steal your female,” he said loudly, making basil blush in embarrassment but thankfully Fey was a bit too far ahead to hear.

 

“S-she’s not mine!”

 

“She is…in there,” he pointed at the thief’s chest with a knowing look but Basil rolled his eyes and picked up his pace as did the hare.

 

“Keep teasing me and I might just roast you over a fire with an apple in your mouth.”

 

“That’s just barbaric,” Sid placed his hands behind his head. “…have you even eaten a hare before?”

 

“A rabbit, yeah. It was good. A bit gamey.”

 

“…that’s just cruel,” Sid chuckled and looked before them to see Fey stopping before an inn, waiting for them and looking ready to punch one of them if they even tried to tease her again.

 

“Now would be a good time to say something…” The hare whispered to him.

 

“Say what?”

 

“…you know what I’m talking about. Right now, Fey is feeling confused and lost…her life is on the line everyday…and this event just made her realize that…I can’t give you anymore advice than that,” he finished when Fey would be in earshot range now. Fey ducked into the inn with Sid following her while Basil frowned and trailed after them.

 

The music from the nightlife of the city was loud enough to be heard from within the halls and food from within the inn and even outside was to die for. It was tempting but eating too late would be terrible.

 

Fey opened the door to Saei’s room and it looked the same way how she left it when he left. Her uiorl was laying on the bed and her half-eaten food was still there. It would be big enough to house them all…but…sharing a bed with possibly someone else…?

 

Fey blushed a bit and took her bowl. “I can sleep on the floor tonight…two of you can have the bed.”

 

“…are you serious?” Sid asked and took the bowl from her. “You’re taking the bed by yourself. Us males can rough it out on the floor.”

 

“But your back is still sore, Sid. Shouldn’t you sleep on something cushioned?”

 

“…are you offering me to sleep with you?”

 

She choked on her words and Basil growled, grabbing the hare’s ear again hard.

 

“OW OW OW! Alright! I get it!” He pulled away with a huff. “Can’t take a joke. Go and wash up first. I might grab a small bite to eat or at least drink,” he explained and exited the room, complaining about felines and it only left them alone again.

 

Nervously, Fey looked to Basil who was inspecting the room curiously.

 

“Did you want to bathe first?”

 

He looked over at her just as he was about to touch her uiorl. “Nah, I can wait. Go ahead so that you can get some sleep in.”

 

“A-alright,” she nodded and took another gown that Saei had purchased for her into the washroom to shut the door behind her. Basil’s ears twitched when he heard the water running and sighed heavily when he saw the gifts sitting on the other end of the bed.

 

Clothing…? Did Fey buy these…?

 

He frowned slightly and moved onto the next object to see a cute charm with a flower attached to it. Both charms were blank…

 

Now that he thought about it…their conversation died away before she could finish about meeting with Saei. Did he bring her back here? What did they talk about…? He knew it was none of his business…but…

 

He looked back over at the uiorl, deep in thought. Would it be wise to…talk things out with Fey…? She did go through a lot today…and bombarding her with more things might make it worse. It could be just subtle though…

 

Basil sat on the bed to pick up the instrument and plucked a single string. It sounded terrible…but he never was one to learn how to play something. He was always the jester…Saei was the protector…and Fey was the mold that held them together.

 

He could only hope it would be like that again…

 

With a frown, he looked out the window to see the magical spheres exploding with beautiful colors as the music died a bit to not be so loud.

 

“Your playing could use some work.”

 

He turned his red eyes to the washroom to see Fey dressed beautifully in the white gown while she dried her hair off with a towel. His breath was a bit stolen but he managed to speak.

 

“That was fast.”

 

“I didn’t want to steal all of the hot water for myself,” she looked to the window nervously and shook her hair to try and let it fall into place…but it was sticking up in random places. Basil smiled sweetly and rose from the bed to approach her, his hands coming up to smooth down the strands.

 

“You’re such a handful…” he muttered softly, making her blush a bit as he took the towel from her to dry off her ears as well.

 

“H-h-hey! I can do that!” She whined and swatted at him, earning a chuckle from him. “…go and get some sleep…Sid and I will finish up before calling it a night as well.”

 

“…I guess…” She looked over to the bed to see how comfy it was and just wanted to fall onto it. “…if I fall asleep too fast, I’ll say goodnight now and see you in the morning,” she told him with a smile and tried to move around him to head to the bed but gasped when he grabbed her arm to pull her back to him. He embraced her but with the towel between them, it kept her clean from his battle wounds. Fey blushed heavily when Basil rested his face on her head but pulled away a moment later.

 

“Goodnight, Fey,” he whispered with a sweet smile and headed into the washroom, leaving her standing there…with her heart pounding. Shaking off the feeling, the mender placed her uiorl to the side with a soft sigh.

 

‘I definitely need some sleep…’ She told herself and pulled back the covers to slip under. Snuggling into the pillow, she closed her white eyes and drifted off within minutes to the sounds of the city outside the window.

 

 

 

Basil cracked the washroom door open slightly, peeking his head out to see that the room was dark…except for the lights of the city filtering in. His eyes checked on Fey who thankfully was sound asleep. His ears could hear her slow breathing and he hung his head at his predicament. He forgot a change of clothes! He had nothing on or to cover himself up with…except for a towel around his waist. If Fey woke up to see him like that, he was certain there would be screaming.

 

‘Sid! Bring clothes please!’ He begged the hare mentally and hoped he had some sort of secret echolocation to give his companion the message. Was he destined to stay in the washroom forever? Was this his life now? His ears folded back but perked up a second later when he heard the door to their room opening. He cheered mentally to see Sid returning with a bundle under his arm.

 

The hare silently closed the door behind him, took a quick look to Fey but moved over to the desk to place down the mystery bundle only to see Basil’s red eyes glowing through the cracks of the door. The hare leapt back at the fright and was about to holler at him for looking like some creep that was stalking him. If it wasn’t for Fey, he would have.

 

“What the hell are you doing?” He whispered, not wanting to cause too much commotion.

 

“I need clothes,” he replied.

 

“You mean you bathed without thinking about that?”

 

“I forgot.”

 

“…you truly are an idiot,” Sid sighed and reached for the bundle he had. “You’re lucky I’m here to take care you of like a son,” he chastised and handed an outfit to Basil.

 

“Thanks, dad,” he mocked and shut the door to dress. Sid shook his head and had thought ahead. After he ate something small, he knew they’d need clothing…or else Fey would wake up either a female that had died from blood loss…or they would be dead from being pummeled to death. Either way it wasn’t good.

 

Basil exited the washroom wearing comfortable clothing that only consisted of an open vest and pants.

 

“I was thinking of waking early tomorrow to claim our prize money from the arena…it’ll help us on the trip,” Sid explained as he grabbed clothing for himself.

 

“Good idea. I still don’t know what we’re going to do…” Basil sat down on the floor to stretch out with a silent yawn.

 

“Guess we’ll figure it out tomorrow,” Sid shrugged and went into the washroom to clean off his own wounds while Basil laid on his back. The floor wasn’t the most…comfortable bed…and there were no extra sheets. Thankfully, it wasn’t warm or cold. His tail swayed mindlessly as he turned his eyes toward Fey who still slept soundly, unaware of their tiny bickering. She must have been tired…

 

Frowning at the idea again, Basil sat up on his knees to pull the covers up to her chin. The mender smiled in her sleep and hid her nose within the sheets. He couldn’t help the smile that surfaced at seeing the cute behavior.

 

“…guess I can only be open when you’re asleep…” he whispered. “I’ll make sure you get home, Fey…I already promised you that…” His claws reached up to run them lightly through her hair. “…I’m at a loss for words…don’t know what to tell you…”

 

Her ears twitched in her sleep as he pulled his hand away. “…it can wait…I’ll tell you once we are over the pass…” With a smile, Basil moved away from her bed to let her sleep just as the washroom door opened and Sid came out quietly to shut it behind him.

 

“So, I left you two alone…should I know something?” The hare asked in a quiet tone as he took up a laying spot beside Basil who huffed and laid on his back.

 

“Nothing happened…”

 

“I gave you a chance, you know…” Sid also laid back, using his towel as a pillow.

 

“…I decided…I’ll tell her once we are safely over the pass.”

 

“Ohhhh…leave it for when I’m gone, huh?”

 

“I’m not going to give you the satisfaction of teasing me when I tell her.”

 

“Maybe I’ll just stick around longer to do so.”

 

“You wouldn’t dare.”

 

“Oh, don’t test me, cat. Maybe you’re stuck with me.” The small friendly banter continued for another hour or so into the night before both ferals drifted off to sleep as well.

 

 

 

It was late…or…early in the morning…possibly three or so when Fey stretched out her limbs and got more comfortable within the sheets. She was still half asleep but a tiny bit awake to begin distinguishing sounds. Music still played…softly now…and she heard quiet snoring. Curious, Fey opened her eyes slightly and rubbed at them to see a bit better in the darkness. Near her bed were her comrades. Basil was the closest, laying on his side facing her way and sound asleep. She smiled softly at seeing his tail curling back and forth slowly. On the other side of him was Sid who rested on his stomach to give his back a break. His head was facing away from her but it was clear he was sound asleep as well.

 

It was…weird…sleeping near them both…but it did make her feel a lot safer…

 

She frowned though to see Saei was not present. Was he still out burying his friend…? He wouldn’t get any sleep if he didn’t come back soon…and would be tired during their journey.

 

Unless…he wanted time to himself…and got another room somewhere. Sighing mentally at feeling even more distance being put between them, Fey rested her head back on her pillow to try and get some more sleep but her ears swiveled when she heard footsteps coming down the hall near their room. It came closer and closer…slowly though…as if the person was sluggish…and she felt her heart beating faster when the knob turned and the door opened.

 

‘Pretend to sleep!’ She yelled at herself and shut her eyes, keeping them open in just a slit to see what was going on. It didn’t help when he heart was beating rapidly. From the vision she had, a figure entered the room and closed the door quietly behind them.

 

‘Saei?’ It was the first option that popped in her mind and she tightened the hold on the blanket when the figure drew closer to step over Basil and Sid carefully to inspect something on the desk. With their back to her, Fey opened her eyes a bit more to see long flowing black hair…and curled horns.

 

‘It is Saei…’ She breathed a sigh of relief and watched as he grabbed some new clothing to head into the washroom. Her hearing picked up the sounds of water gushing out. She wondered how his wounds were…if they were even healing…but…at least he was back to get some rest before their trip tomorrow.

 

Fey closed her eyes with an exhale, listening to the sound of the water as well as the snoring while thinking about tomorrow. It would be awkward…adding Saei to their group…and would possibly add tension between the brothers if they didn’t talk things over. She had come to terms with what happened to him but Basil had no idea why his brother hid for so long.

 

She still didn’t know why he attacked Basil so fiercely after the wyrsuil attack…

 

She could only hope that the brothers would reform the bond they had when they were kids and move on.

 

Snuggling into her pillow, her ear twitched when she heard the water stop followed by the creak of the door.

 

‘He’s done…well…hopefully he’ll get some sleep…’ She sighed and yawned silently before trying to get back to sleep. Footsteps walked away from her for a moment as he possibly stepped over the other sleeping ferals again…but…to her surprise…they came back toward her.

 

Was he trying to find somewhere to sleep? Hopefully not with her or else her head would explode from all the rushing of blood to her face. The footsteps came even closer until he was possibly two more steps away from her face. Even with her eyes closed…she could feel…someone watching her…which made her heart quicken.

 

‘He’s going to know I’m awake if you don’t calm down,” she told her heart and did her best not to think about it but she mentally gasped when a soft hand cupped the underside of her face to lift it off the pillow. The hand turned her head just slightly, pointing it upward. She had no idea what he was doing and she grew more nervous by the second until her entire world stopped when she felt warm lips overlapping hers…fully! It wasn’t like last time when it was just on the corner…and even her heart had trouble working.

 

‘S-Saei?’ She continued to fake her sleep, her head limp in his head but she was so tempted to open her eyes…to see ask him silently what he was doing or feeling. As soon as it began though, it ended just as quickly when he pulled away and slowly guided her head back to her pillow. His claws slipped out from under her cheek…and his footsteps drew away…over to the door.

 

‘Saei? Are you leaving…?’ She felt a sense of dread when she heard the door opening quietly and shutting once more. As soon as it was over, she opened her eyes to sit up in her bed and saw no sign of him…as if didn’t exist…but she frowned with her heart clenching when she touched her lips…growing more confused by the second.

 

 

 

What was he thinking…when he did that? He caved…yet again…and was infuriated with himself. He needed to get away…far away…or else…

 

Saei lowered his eyes as he leaned against the wooden railing that protected those who were drunk from falling down the hill and deeper into the city. It wasn’t far from the inn…just outside actually but the dragon needed some fresh air to think everything over.

 

The magical orbs exploded above him, making glitter fall around him and he raised his eyes to look over at the moon that was moving further away from him.

 

“…what path do I take…?” He whispered, hoping for an answer but the moon remained silent, allowing him to ponder over it himself.

 

Another beast was sent after Fey...wanting to steal her away. Twice in one day…Fey was in danger…and it made his blood boil. To see that wolf…charging at her…wanting to just take her for himself…

 

He shook his head while suppressing a growl and tightened his claws on the railing. That wasn’t what scared him the most…

 

 ‘I’m surprised you haven’t killed the mender by now…

 

‘…you know what you are…as do I…”

 

‘…you’re just blood thirsty…

 

‘You thirst for that blood…this is your moment…this is what your people did…

 

Saei couldn’t contain his growl anymore and ran his palms over his face as he leaned back away from the railing with the words haunting him. He couldn’t…he couldn’t let himself cave in anymore…no matter if Fey got hurt…it would be for her own good.

 

He lowered his hands to look down at his claws, black scales decorated the back of his hand in small patches. Carefully, he laid one hand over the other and gritting his teeth, tried to tear off the scales once more but his claws slipped off which only made him exhale deeply at the useless attempt.

 

“Brother…?” A voice came from behind him that made him stiffen and pulled him from his thoughts. Lowering his hands, Saei glanced over his shoulder to see none other than Basil…standing there…with a hopeful look in his eyes.

 

The Imperial turned back around to give him his back. “…you should be asleep.”

 

“I know…but…I wanted to talk with you…” He said and came closer cautiously to stand by his side but made sure to give his kin his space. Neither knew how to start…

 

“…I woke a few moments ago…and didn’t see you with us.”

 

“I needed time for myself.”

 

“Oh…how…did you…bury your friend?”

 

“Yes.”

 

“I’m…sorry that happened.”

 

Saei gritted his fangs and turned to face Basil with a glare. “What do you want? Small talk? Get to your point.”

 

The feline’s eyes widened a bit at the show of hostility but wasn’t going to back down.

 

“I just wanted to talk…”

 

“About what?” Saei snapped, his tail tightening behind him. Basil’s ears fanned back as he narrowed his eyes slightly.

 

“I haven’t seen you in years! I thought you were dead! And this is how we come together?! Is it about your knee still?! Well I’m sorry for breaking it, okay?! I’ve been wanting to apologize before our home was destroyed but I couldn’t!” He exclaimed, his fiery eyes glowing in the night. It was a good thing they were alone or else they would be drawing eyes toward them but Saei just growled and looked away toward the city.

 

“I’ve learned to live with this disadvantage. I’m much stronger than you think, not needing to whine about my pain.”

 

“Then why are you so angry at me? I just wanted to talk…I wanted to know how you were…I was shocked to see you out there…” He frowned suddenly and lowered his eyes. “…I was so worried for you…when you were facing that wolf.”

 

“I can handle myself,” Saei told him and leaned against the railing once more.

 

“…what’s wrong with you?” Basil whispered. “…we’re brothers-“

 

“We are NOT brothers…we’re not kin…YOUR home was destroyed…”

 

“Oh, so you’re saying our entire time growing up meant nothing?! You can’t mean that!” Basil took a step forward angrily with his claws balling into a fist but Saei just turned his head away with closed eyes. “If it’s about what I said, I’m sorry! Is it because I didn’t come help you when you were knocked out? Tell me!”

 

Saei opened his eyes to look over at him, staying silent and folded his arms across his chest as Basil calmed his anger a bit.

 

“…is…it about Fey…?”

 

The dragon’s eyes narrowed a bit more.

 

“It is…isn’t it? Fey is fine. She’s back with us like old times so why get angry at me?”

 

Saei huffed and pushed away from the railing. “You wouldn’t understand.”

 

“What wouldn’t I understand?!” He yelled and unable to hold it back, he swung at his brother to harshly scratch his cheek and forced Saei to take a step back with his hair hiding his face. “If anything, you’ve been putting Fey in danger! You and your friend were chasing after her! You got those twins to nearly kill her! She passed out and wouldn’t wake up! You were stressing her out this whole time!”

 

Saei raised his head sharply, blood dripping down his cheek and dug his claws into his palm to fight the need to silence him.

 

“Hard to admit it, isn’t it?! Fey is our friend and you were putting her through this!”

 

“FEY IS DYING!” Saei roared at him and brought a hard blow down onto his head, sending Basil into the ground as he stood over him. The feline whimpered and pressed his hand to the blow but looked up at his brother in shock to see him breathing hard.

 

“…w-w-what?”

 

“You heard me…” he growled and took a step back, sweeping the blood off his chin. Basil picked himself back up slowly, tail curled between his legs.

 

“…that can’t be true…how do you know this?”

 

“…I studied menders while back at Hulei…I did my best…to find Fey…to do what I could for her…” he whispered with a hurt tone and closed his eyes painfully. “…Fey was forced to heal constantly…every hour of every day…for years…the draining of her magic is slowly taking away her life…” His eyes slowly opened to glare over at him. “Each time she heals, she is closer to death…but of course…you would know that…after spending time in the brothels.”

 

Basil’s eyes widened and his face paled. It was a deep stab wound that his brother caused emotionally…and he couldn’t even form words…

 

“…of course, you didn’t…Fey suffered while you went around drinking and enjoying yourself. You wish to know why I am angry…now…you know…” Saei moved around his brother, stopping a few inches behind him. “…we leave at dawn…do not let her know of this…she is suffering enough and does not need to know of this fate. Keep your mouth shut…” He warned and made his way back to the inn to try and get some sleep…leaving Basil behind with his heart slowly shattering at finally knowing the truth.



© 2017 Jensen Roman


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Great job! Keep it up! I can't wait to see what happens next!
xDD

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

125 Views
2 Reviews
Added on August 6, 2017
Last Updated on August 6, 2017
Tags: journey, adventure, romance, violence

Journey of the Mender


Author

Jensen Roman
Jensen Roman

Buford, GA



About
Hello! I am a 30 yr. old woman who is compassionate for writing, being imaginative and creating my own world. more..

Writing