Chapter 1

Chapter 1

A Chapter by Katie Wan
"

It is Collin Hanks senior year. This year he will make the love of his life fall deeply in love with him.

"

“You’re just jealous, Collin.” Jo lee jabbed the words into my heart as she beautifully sat next to me.

“Jealous, of what,” I slammed back? “How could I be jealous of the ability to fly, or to be able to leap tall buildings in a single bound, or perhaps to have every single girl in the world falling over you? I’m not jealous.” I sighed quietly. How could you not be jealous of all of those talents? I mean every guy wants to be the ideal man for any woman. How awesome would it be to have all of those abilities?

“Sure,” She continued to focus on her homework. My eyes were glued to the yellow tinted paper spread out between my hands. The black ink smudged underneath my sweaty fingertips. I was avoided my homework at all costs"which is the regular thing for teenagers to do.

“Phoenix and Lars save the city again,” I read the headline again out loud. There was a large black and white picture of the Oreson Heroes. Larsen, the father, had been fighting crime since the 60’s my parents still had paper clippings from his first successful bust. He was the perfect stereotypical Hero: The tight spandex suit that somehow showed off every single perfectly toned muscle, the head that stood squarely on his large thick shoulders, and the neck"what neck? He was basically shoulder to chin, but that chin, with that stupid cleft in it"it disgusted me. The chin housed a perfect resting ground for the man’s crooked perfect white smile surrounded by raspberry tinted lips. Phoenix’s, and the rest of the Oreson children’s, looks seemed to match Larsen’s. They each had a sort of variation in their looks but, you could tell that they were all related. 

The public seemed to fall over this family. They held great family values. Each of their kids went through school with honors. There never seemed to be any problems"at least at the beginning.

Phoenix was the most like his father though"with looks anyways. They both were the basic Hero that you see on the covers of comic books and movies: Pale skin, silver eyes, and large muscles. How could any guy in the world ever compete with that?

I exhaled in disgust: “Boy wonder does it again,” I whispered the phrase quietly under my breath.

Jo lee’s blue eyes shot toward me in a laughable manner. They quickly returned to her blue math book sitting on the granite counter “I told you, you’re jealous.”  She knew me too well.

I sighed there really was no denying it. Really can you blame me? The kid had everything anyone could ask for. At school girls worshipped him. I mean, along with being the town savior he was the schools number one quarterback. He brought our team to win state the past three years. He’s the same age as me and my whole life has been competing with Phoenix Oreson. There never really was any getting away from. If I’d ask a girl on a date she’s shut me down because going out with me will ruin her chances with Phoenix. Every guy in the school knew exactly what I was talking. It was always that expectation that we would never live up to. Luckily for all of us it was our last year at that high school.  

In the picture between my hands, Phoenix stood smugly next to his large father. His perfectly toned arms crossed over his coveted stone hard chest. Phoenix didn’t compare in size with his father. He made up for it with his father’s good looks though, tying in the dark greased back hair, dazzling smile, and irresistible silver eyes. They both could pass as models. As I looked at the dark picture I wanted to slap the grin off Phoenix’s content little face.

My hand slammed the paper down and pushed it away from me. Again the air rushed out of my lungs in utter disgust, mostly for me. Why did I care? I know; it’s because I got nothing in this life and he got everything. It’s never fun watching someone live the life you’ve always dreamt of. They get everything you’ve ever wanted when you’re left with nothing but scraps and bones. Frustrated, I leaned my head on my hand and watched Jo lee. Her long black hair was swung over her opposite shoulder. She wrote energetically on her lined notebook paper. A line of concentration formed on her forehead, giving away her focus and determination.

 Jo had dated Phoenix for a week or so the year before. She was one of Phoenix’s many girlfriends through our junior year. It seemed like he went through them weekly. I guess being popular pays off in that regard. At school Jo lee is very popular"much like Phoenix. Her popularity makes me wonder why she puts up with me. A lot of the guys crush over her"including me"and all the girls hate either want to be her or hate her. Being envied really isn’t her fault. Her mother’s a feisty and beautiful Spanish woman and her father is as American as they come. Jo lee was blessed with her mother’s flawless Spanish features: Tan skin, dark long hair the curled at the bottoms, and a thing but curvaceous body.  She obtained one thing from her father"his eyes. The blue spheres stuck out again her dark Latin skin. Her eyes seemed to explode with bright blue with every flicker of movement. Let’s just say that when Jo Lee walks into a room you notice.

Jo’s an only child, like me. Perhaps that’s why we get along so well. We met in 5th grade when she moved from Denver to Miami. Her father had, had great success in his job and as a family they decided to give Miami, Florida a try. Jo and I met on her first day of school and since that first day we’ve been inseparable"and since then I’ve loved her.

Her stunning eyes caught mine and her lips spread into a ‘just admit it’ smile"so I did. “I guess I am jealous"but only a little” I added, trying to protect my manhood as best I could. There wasn’t much manhood to protect. I wasn’t much of a man and I could never be the right man for her.

Her laughter softly filled the room and echoed throughout my ears. I wanted that sweet sound wave forever to caress the cavity of my ear. The laugher stopped inside the room but it rang loudly throughout my ears. Jo sunk her head back to the work before her. Her determination was outstanding. She talked as her pencil traced grey letters into the white lined paper in front of her. “He’s not that great you know.” She closed her book and her intoxicating floral scent filled my nostrils.

“Who?” I asked, forgetting completely about the subject matter at hand.

She smiled again releasing all memory from my mind once more. “Phoenix,” she chuckled lightly then spoke once more: “Anyone could do better really.” Another pause came and she looked down to the blue math book cover. Her tan finger traced the title lettering carefully.  “I think Phoenix has bigger problems than any of us can see"or even are to see.”

There was a moment of silence as I tried to figure out what she meant through her words. She smiled and reassured that she was right. I didn’t need to understand what it meant. I mean, it was the truth. Only the truth escaped from her soft lips. Finally she broke the silence with her melodic tone: “It’s Late. I should be getting you home.” She fluidly slid from the stool and stood on the tan tile below us.

“You know what? I think I’ll walk.” I said as I stood"not as gracefully as her. Her jacket was folded back over the counter. I continued my sentence with: “I need some fresh air.” It seemed like a logical answer. I just needed to be alone. A good knock to your self esteem can really knock you off your rocker for awhile.

She nodded carefully as she tried to assess my mood. She finally just decided on walking me to the door. Her soft pink lips kissed my pale cheek. It flushed red when the lips were gone. “Good night. Call me when you get home.”Her high soprano voice rang loudly in my head once again and I stored it for another memory. My hand fumbled on the door knob as I tried to leave. Jo waved and walked back into her main room. Before I stepped out she snapped around and distinctly said: “Collin.” I turned and faced her. With a smile on her face and a light in her eyes she whispered very softly: “You’re more of my hero than Phoenix will ever be.”



© 2010 Katie Wan


Author's Note

Katie Wan
I need to know if this is "Catchy" enough. Would someone become interested immediately, or should I work on a more compelling opening?

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I love this, Katie! I will definitely be reading the rest of it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


brilliant

Posted 14 Years Ago


amazing

Posted 14 Years Ago


your opening is great i have read all 7 chapters and cant wait to see what comes next. Your grammer mistakes are all minor don't worry about it great start loved it so far i would give ya 1000 if i could.

Posted 14 Years Ago


Good writing...u need to feel ok with your grammer...concerntrate on ur thinking...

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

3398 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 12, 2010
Last Updated on September 22, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Chapter 18 Chapter 18

A Chapter by Katie Wan