Chapter 31

Chapter 31

A Chapter by Katie Wan

Nothing much between Rylan and I happened after that kiss. I believe the kiss was just to let me know that he loved me and was there no matter what. That was actually what I needed the most, more than a confusing and destructive relationship.

Phoenix left the next morning with Ryder in tow for a few weeks. School became second priority but it also became easier. People seemed to go on with their lives and forget about Phoenix and I. Rylan continued his work in the hospital and I continued my work on my powers.

I focused on school for the rest of the year and finally it came to graduation day. Seniors got the whole week off. I spent my days with Jo and Justin. The three of us had become the three musketeers and people really didn’t mess with us. Justin was dating some girl name Penelope who lived in Hawaii. After graduation he would be off to play football for the University of Hawaii, and probably to marry his lovely Pen. It was hard to say good bye to him but I knew that it was for the best.

                The hardest person to say good bye to was Jo. I knew the day would eventually come that we would go our separate ways, but now I was staring it in the face. Both she and Justin were leaving within a week after graduation. She too, would be going to the University of Hawaii. She wanted to get away, spread her wings a little.

                I guess that was good, but I’d miss her. As for me, I’d be staying in Miami. I had begun to go out at night with Rylan and help save others. My powers were becoming a lot stronger and I could pretty much save myself now. So far I had developed all the body skills I could possibly want; flight, hearing, speed, strength, and of course I eventually got the ability to heal myself.

                I loved everything that I was doing so I knew that going to college would be a mistake. Rylan said I was able to stay with him as long as I wanted, I’m sure he enjoyed the company. I had found a name for my Hero. Rylan’s Hero persona is Silver smoke, which really describes his colors black and dark grey. And I went by Shadow Sniper. Why, you ask? I have no idea. It was just a cool name.

                The night before graduation I went out with Rylan. He and I sat on top of one of the tallest buildings in Miami. I watched him as he pulled his mask over his white hair that was tied behind his head. His tan skin seemed to not be as tan with the black mask. His illuminated grey eyes watched over me as I watched over him. The staring thing had happened months ago. He and I just couldn’t take our eyes off of each other. I guess we’re just fascinating to each other. He was so graceful in all of his movements�"it was amazing.

                My head snapped to the right when I heard screaming down below. Rylan smiled and nodded. He and I would both go after the culprit. I nodded once and Rylan was gone. I leapt for the edge of the building and let the air rush past my face. My feet shoved off of the edge of the bricks and I was falling out of the sky. I took the time to let my body just relax and fall. The wind whistled past my ears loudly and I saw the earth coming closer and closer to my body. This feeling was completely liberating. I was in charge of this action now.

At the last minute I curled my body tight and my body flew level with the street between speeding cars on the street below. Horns honked and my body lifted higher into the air. The lights of the city flicked past my face at incredible speeds. People dreamed for this kind of speed�"well I had it. I watched as people gaped at me flying through the air. Children pointed their small little hands up towards the sky as they watched me speed past.

My ears strained to listen to the conversations below me. It wasn’t hard to find where the trouble was. I immediately saw the destruction that had already been done. The Ton Twins were the first two people that I saw. In fact they were the only people that I saw. The Ton Twins were known for their large size and stature. I’m sure that they had other powers but mainly I only ever saw them roll over things. They really had a talent for it.

I stopped my body and landed on the earth below. Rylan appeared to my right. He smirked and hit my shoulder with his own. I smiled back towards him and we both started walking. The Ton’s caught our appearance and they started walking towards us too. Rylan spoke loudly, “really you guys? Didn’t we lock you up a few months ago?”

“Yeah,” the boy twin said with a spit filled lisp. “Now we’re back and we’re going to get our revenge!”

The large sister of his squared her shoulders and nodded. I pursed my lips together and looked over at me. “I don’t want to hit the girl again.”

Rylan smiled and the Twins placed their overweight bodies on the ground and started rolling. “I guess I can give you the boy�"but only this once.” Rylan laughed and jumped out of the way just in time to miss the girl.

I was amazed at Rylan’s mood so I didn’t leap out of the way. The next thing I knew I was under Ton Twin boy. He rolled back and forth over my body and I figured I’d hear someone trying to get him off of me. Instead I heard Rylan laughing from the side of the road. I got enough fat off of me to see him standing on the side of the road with his arms wrapped around his torso. It looked as if his face would explode with laughter. Inevitably my lungs started pumping air faster and I felt myself laughing also. I began to laugh and tears streamed down my face. The Ton’s didn’t understand what was going on. The boy twin rolled his body off of me and I curled into a ball on the ground and laughed. My arms also grabbed my sides as I heaved with bouts of joy.

Both the twins and the bystanders looked around confused. Rylan had crouched down onto the ground and rested his head on his knees. I began to realize that this was the first time I had seen Rylan really laugh. Then I realized that this was the first time I’d laughed since Phoenix left. 

The laughter soon subsided and I uncurled myself from the ground and looked over at Rylan who was also looking at me. A sweet look came in his eyes and I felt something change inside of him and me. We both stared at each other for a moment with a smile on our faces.

The Ton’s were still gaping at the scene when Rylan walked over to them. “How about we do this another time?” They both looked at him and before they knew it they were gone in a cloud of grey. 



© 2010 Katie Wan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

446 Views
Added on August 23, 2010
Last Updated on August 23, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan