Chapter 15

Chapter 15

A Chapter by Katie Wan

Jackson, Jo, and I warped into a muggy humid alley the heat from the sidewalk below bubbled up and curled around our fingertips. Fire was spilling out of the windows of the buildings surrounding us. A giant fire ball flew up over the street. I just barely caught the tail end of it before it smashed into another building. Our head stuck out around the wall and we looked at the horrid situation surrounding us. A man stood in the center of a giant fireball. His arms were held out from his body and he laughed maniacally much like a mad scientist would. My gut wrenched at the sight of him. Flames were scorching from him making veins in the street below. The magma-like substance circled around the opening of the alley. Cars all along the road burst into flame as their tires touched the lava. People all around us screamed hysterically as they tried to run for shelter their panic could be felt throughout the air around us. Jackson looked back at us, “It’s actually quite exciting, but if you want to leave, let me know.”  I nodded and Jo did the same I was just about to speak when a flash of light came over our shoulders and we all snapped our bodies around in a complete 360.

A young girl walked up behind us from the bright light surrounding her body. Her face seemed very familiar. “Jazz?” asked Jackson almost as confused as the rest of us.

The young stunning girl walked up behind us, “Hey Jackson. You couldn’t miss it either?”Both she and Jackson laughed as they shared a familiar comfortable look. This was Jazz Oreson�"the reason for the whole family’s split. Her face was much like Veronica’s, but you could tell that she would become more beautiful with age. Her hair was full and thick just as Veronica’s but was more naturally curly. She let it naturally hang over her shoulders like she didn’t even have to try in the morning to get ready. She wasn’t as toned as Veronica but still tiny like the girls in the Oreson family. She smiled so sweetly and I couldn’t take my eyes off her. The kindness radiated off of her you could see it glowing beneath her eyes. I knew now that she was the kindest most loving Hero I’d met so far. Her smile turned to me, “Collin?” She asked brightly as she caught my gaze.

“Yeah?” I asked. How did she know my name?

“I’m Jazz. It’s good to meet you.” A soft hand touched my elbow and then she turned to Jo. “I’ve met you before, haven’t I? You dated Phoenix, didn’t you?” Jazz paused and waited for Jo so slightly nod. “Well, it’s good to see you again.” She looked at us both, “Aren’t you two best friends? Is that weird that he’s dating Phoenix?” All eyes shot to me as she asked the question most everyone wanted to hear.

Then tension was taken off by a flash again behind us. We turned and watched out of the mouth of the alley as the three Oreson siblings walked down the street straight for Inferno. Their capes whipped behind them loudly like flags in the wind. It was as if they were moving in slow motion. The wind from the fire blasts blew their hair making it swirl up around their foreheads and masks. When they got about fifty yards away Veronica crouched slamming her knee straight into the ground and the boys ran opposite ways.

Inferno’s eyes opened and his smile spread across his face as he realized someone had come to fight. There were so many people wounded on the side of the roads. Their extremities were burning from the flames engorged in the street below. Belches of screams left their chests as they tried to get rid of the pain. Veronica’s arms rose up outside her bodies�"matching Inferno’s stance�"slowly she began to rise up into the air and a thick silver glow surrounded her like she was in a giant silver bubble. Inferno watched her carefully as she started to work her powers. Her Silver piercing eyes shone straight to Inferno as she concentrated on the globe surrounding her. Inferno, walked to her�"still floating mid air�"with the ball of flame shining around him as he moved. Veronica let him approach her carefully. The silver electricity snapping between her fingers became brighter as the flame ball got closer. As Inferno walked closer she didn’t move but her fingers twitched and with it a large shock wave of silver spread out around her.

Inferno was shot back out of the sky and slammed into the back of a semi truck that had been abandoned on the ruined street. Inferno sat in the center of crumbled metal mess as he tried to regain consciousness. Veronica leaned her head back and concentrated on the powers snapping naturally at her fingertips.

Inferno picked himself up out of the crunched metal only to be met with a blow to the face by Phoenix. Phoenix was on the Villain in a second punching away and the thin flaming man. Inferno kicked and punched back as Phoenix wailed on him. Suddenly from behind Veronica came a tiny flame ball.

“Another inferno?” asked Jazz quietly behind us with a sudden panic in her voice as we all looked to our left.

Yes�"another inferno. A young boy, only about twelve, leapt from the darkness and jumped for Phoenix who was beating on his partner. Before the boy could attack him Ryder leapt out and stopped the young boy with a hand to the young boys elbow. Ryder let out a screech as the fire burnt through his thin skin. Phoenix Jumped up in attempt to gain control of his fight and Veronica concentrated all her healing power onto Ryder. Phoenix moved back to back with Ryder through his fight. With the help from Veronica Ryder could now fight the young boy, painless. Inferno saw that Ryder was fighting the youngling and the older inferno fought to get to the boy. Phoenix was able to hold him with a strong punch to the man’s jaw.

 Another flash caught us off guard. This flash wasn’t a time warp flash. This was a speed flash, no bright light, just a flash of colors spreading across your eyesight. There appeared three people within the colors: Larsen, Tex, and Zane. Their eyes gaped at the scene in front of them. The older siblings had taken control of the situation leaving nothing for the rest to do. Larsen’s hands trembled at their sides. Smoke rose out of his ear canals and the muscles in his neck clenched.

Phoenix looked over Inferno’s shoulders and caught Larsen and the twins. Phoenix continued the fight even when Larsen leapt over to him. Phoenix grabbed Inferno’s shoulders as Larsen tried to pull the man away from Phoenix. I could see the struggle in Phoenix’s face�"he was trying to outdo his father. Veronica had lowered to the ground where she could concentrate on the wounded surrounding her. The twins backed up and leaned against a building waiting for something to be resolved. “Let go of him,” I heard Larsen demand over the crackle of the fire around me.

Phoenix pulled on Inferno again causing the burning man to fall into his chest. Phoenix’s jaw clenched in pain and he shoved Inferno to the ground causing Larsen to let go. Inferno caught himself on the ground and started to pick himself up to get away. Both Phoenix and Larsen leapt for the man but he was too quick�"both of their reaches missed.

Inferno ran over to Ryder who had the boy in some type of wrestling hold. Inferno grabbed Ryder’s wrists and he exploded into an even larger flame. Ryder let out a screech and fell straight to the ground. He curled into a ball and centered his wrists inside the body ball. His lungs breathed in and out deeply. Jazz put her hands over her mouth and was about to step into the street when Jackson grabbed her shoulder. Her blue eyes looked up at him and he shook his head. “Veronica will get him. Don’t worry.” Jazz tried to calm but I could see the terror in her eyes. She wasn’t enjoying this one bit.

Inferno grabbed the boy and they started to run. Phoenix shoved his hand into his father’s chest and pushed away from him. Larsen stumbled back but then followed Phoenix after Inferno and the young boy. Veronica lowered her body to the ground and she ran over to Phoenix who was still whimpering from his wound. Carefully Veronica kneeled next to him and reached for his hands. Ryder let out another cry as she grabbed his wrists rather forcefully.

My attention was taken off their situation when I heard the crunching of pavement. Phoenix flew backward from behind a building. His back slammed against the road and dug a few feet down into the dirt. Inferno was flaming inside of his tight grasp. Suddenly all around Phoenix ice appeared. Inferno slowly faded into nothing but a normal human being. Larsen returned to the scene with the flaming boy under his arm. Larsen carried the young boy with one arm as he walked back to where Phoenix was lying on the ground. Inferno tried again to jump out towards the boy but Phoenix grabbed him and stood. My Hero clenched his jaw and forcefully grabbed the young boy out of Larsen’s grasp. The boy also lowered his flame and turned into a regular human. Phoenix’s fingers grabbed the boy’s ears and he started pulling them both towards Veronica and Ryder.

Veronica had healed Ryder and refocused on the building around us. The bricks floated in the air and returned to their previous state. The walls rebuilt around us and the debris on the street slowly started disappeared. Sirens were loudly blaring on a street near our own. The police men and EMT’s would be helping the rest of the wounded.

 Veronica finally relaxed when most of the buildings were finished and the silver glow around her disappeared. Ryder and Phoenix walked up to her and they formed this triangle of great power. There was amusement shining brightly in their illuminated eyes.  A smile spread on each of their faces and Phoenix’s eyes caught with Jackson and they both nodded at each other.

 “I’ll take you there,” Jazz whispered to us from behind our trembling bodies. I could hear my heart beat in the back of my mind.  Before I could catch my breath a silver flash surrounded us and we were gone. When the scene reappeared we stood in the main entrance of the Jailhouse. I’d been here a few times�"mainly to pick up one of my parents every month or so. Jazz had disappeared in the warp and was probably back at home avoiding the inevitable family conflict. Another flash came from the corner and we all turned. Ryder and Veronica stood with the young boy in between them.

The little boy could’ve have been older than twelve. Flaming red hair sat messy on top of his head. A nasty scowl was crossed on his heavily freckled face. The poor thing looked more miserable than I always did. I could only image the life he had.

Police began to flood around us and take control of the situation. A larger cop took the young boy and brought him back behind the counter to the holding cell. Jackson leapt for Veronica and they embraced each other. “You were wonderful�"like always.” Jackson groveled respectfully.

“I know.” She said proudly. She had the right to boast�"she really was amazing.

Ryder went to Jo and took her into his arms. She curled her arms up around his shoulder and buried her head sideways in his chest. He stroked the hair along her back and kissed the top of her head. She smiled proudly up at him and I knew she was falling�"hard. I looked around and didn’t see Phoenix�" or Larsen. My hands shook restlessly at my side and my heart pounded loud in my ears. I leapt for the window to search for any sign of Phoenix only to be confronted with nothing.

Suddenly a bright light lit the whole room from the left corner. I turned to see Larsen appear next to the counter in the small room.  Phoenix wasn’t beside him in the warp. There was no sign of him at all. I became light headed as hyperventilation took over my whole body. No one seemed to notice, because the exact moment he warped a rant poured out of his chest.

“What the hell were you thinking?” He howled over the hustle of the station. A few police men jumped behind him and hid behind their desks. “Are you all really out to ruin my career?” My ears were ringing from Larsen’s voice. “This job and these powers have kept a roof over your ungrateful little heads your whole life. And this�"THIS�"is how you repay me?” Larsen’s large mitt swung in a motion towards the window behind me. “You know what I ought to do, Ryder? You’re sorry, ungrateful�"”

A bright light, again from the corner of the room, tore our attention away and stopped Larsen’s tirade. Phoenix appeared with a cold Inferno in his hands. Inferno doubled over and released the contents of his stomach into a waste basket in the corner of the room they had warped into.

I began to relax as Phoenix laughed at what he just did. Another cop came around the dark brown corner and took Inferno the same way they had taken the boy. More than likely he’d be sent back to prison with an even longer sentence. Phoenix looked around at the room to gauge the situation. I knew he could see the tension in the air. Most if it was rising up and down with Larsen’s chest.

Instead of confronting the situation, which was usually like him, his eyes snapped to me and with a flick of his head he leapt to me. His arms wrapped around under my shoulders and he lifted me up off the ground like I weighed nothing. I flew around and around in the air has he spun me around.

“That was so awesome!” He cheered loudly as we spun.

“Phoenix Larsen Oreson, You get your a*s over here before I beat you to a pulp.” Larsen screamed behind us. As I caught a glimpse of him I noticed the crimson tint his face had developed.

Phoenix sighed and set me lightly down on the ground. His hand slid down my jaw as he walked away. He flashed me a very joy filled smile as he backed up to his father. “Why do you insist on calling me by my full name in front of all my friends? You know I really hate your name.” he snapped to his father in a sarcastic tone.

He walked up to Larsen and squared off right in his face. Larsen’s index finger jabbed into Phoenix’s chest firmly. “I know this was all your doing.”

“All my doing, huh?” Phoenix smirked proudly. “I must know what I’m doing then�"because that was cool.”

Ryder snorted a laugh and wrapped his arms tighter around Jo’s shoulders. She was rocking back in forth in his grasp. Veronica seemed to be more annoyed than the rest. She just cuddled up into Jackson’s arms. Larsen continued, “You three are going to hear about this-“

“Dad, shut up.” Veronica yelped at him. “I don’t even live at home, you have no control over me and actually you can’t control these boys either. If you aren’t around someone needs to do something�"that’s what we did. Now if you don’t mind Jackson and I would like to get home and sleep.” Jackson giggled a ridiculous laugh behind her and we all knew then that they weren’t going home to sleep. “Ryder, please.” Veronica’s eyes filled with a pleading look. Ryder nodded and with a wink Veronica and Jackson were gone.

They were gone and it was just the four of us and a raging Larsen. He continued on another fuming argument, but I didn’t hear it. Phoenix spun around on his heels and walked immediately to me. Without warning me he just grabbed my face in his hands and planted his lips on mine. Everyone in the room gasped as we kissed. My hands went to his torso as I tried to push him away. He just pulled me in tighter. He wrapped his arms around my neck and hugged me. I got a look around the room. Jo and Ryder smiled. I think they were just happy to see us happy. My heart pounded even harder that it had a few minutes before.

Most everyone was shocked, but Larsen fumed. I could’ve sworn that smoke came from his ears and fire rose in his eyes�"I didn’t care. My body rejoiced and I couldn’t help but smile in ridiculous amounts. This was so magical and so real I couldn’t even believe it.



© 2010 Katie Wan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

lol this is actually great stuff lol

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

570 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 20, 2010
Last Updated on August 23, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan