Chapter 48

Chapter 48

A Chapter by Katie Wan

Each of us was question separately. While Phoenix was in with the police I sat on the edge of an ambulance having an EMT look over me. The young woman poked at my face and looked into my eyes. A blanket was wrapped around me keeping me warm from the cold breeze that had picked up. As she checked out my extremities I looked around. Justin leaned on the wall where Phoenix was being interrogated waiting for the love of his life to come out. He and I well, nothing much ever happened there. As we grew older Justin and I became friendlier but never again were we best friends. There was no need for that really at all.

Tex sat on the ground next to Zane holding their hands, laced together, in between them. Tex and Zane made up very quickly. I wouldn’t say that they were ever really separated. There’s something special between the two of them and I knew that it would last forever and never again would anything split them up. Eventually Tex married Kei making him an actual family member. I never really found out what happened to Zane. The last I heard he was out discovering his true self. Considering the lack of communication I’m guessing he found that. 

Jazz walked alone looking at all the different Villains her father had created. She had taken her mask off and was actually feeding some of them. She would always be the sweetest thing, Hero and human, on this planet. Every time I speak to her I learn something new and different. She later married a very trusting and responsible man. He was someone I respected very much. Jazz is a constant through my life and she’s something I’d never give up.

My head turned to Eileen. She stood with a police officer and coroner. She stood over her husband’s dead body that was covered with a single white sheet.  Tears accompanied with dark mascara ran down her cheeks. She cried and pleaded with the EMT’s “Please save him. Do something.” It was too late for him and for her too. She held onto the dark grey hand of Larsen underneath the sheet. My eyes couldn’t bear the sight any longer so I turned away.

Jackson and Veronica had “flown” in when they had heard the news. Veronica was curled inside Jackson’s chest trying to hold back tears. There was no doubt that the family mourned the loss of their father, but I knew inside somewhere each one of them had a slight twinge of relief. One of the most threatening Villains was gone. It really was just too bad that it had to be one of the greatest super Heroes to ever live.

Veronica and Jackson stayed married. After the death of one child they brought into the world four beautiful children all together. I always envied the love that they had, not because I didn’t have it, but because the whole world wanted her and yet she chose just one man. She had one true love her whole entire life and that’s what I envied. I wish that somehow Rylan could’ve come along sooner then maybe none of this would’ve ever happened.

Jo lee stood behind Veronica and Jackson. Ryder leaned against the wall in a stance of emotion. His head rested on his forearm against the wall and tears were falling from each eye at a rapid pace. Jo stood with her arms crossed on her chest with her head straight down. There was no doubt that Jo and Ryder would make it. The love they shared was endless. As for the love Jo and I once had, those memories never really left but we never had any new ones. I loved Jo forever and I still continued to and that would never change. Sometimes though, people grow up and they move on.

The door to the questioning room opened and Phoenix walked out. He immediately wrapped his arms around Justin. He brought Justin’s head to his chest and cradled him there. Pain filled Phoenix’s face and I knew that what he confessed in that room was more than he would ever confess again in a lifetime. Justin rubbed his back soothingly and let Phoenix just hold him. Sometimes that’s the key to all relationship issues. Don’t talk about the problems just hold each other and let them know that everything will be alright. Phoenix looked up to see me watching him. He smiled as best he could and gave me a nod.

Right then, always with his impeccable timing, Rylan walked around the ambulance. A team of EMT’s walked past him after they had been working on him. A cast wrapped around his arm tightly protecting his brittle bones. I knew he wasn’t ready to fight. I looked up into his dark eyes and he smiled down at me. His hand brushed over my hair a couple times then he rested his chin on the top of my head. “Thank you.” I whispered quietly so that only he would hear.

“For what,” he asked with the same quietness.

I pulled away from him and stood up. The EMT protested but I stood anyways. Rylan’s hand went behind my back and supported my weak body. His warmth radiated through my veins. I rested my head on his chest and wound myself tighter in his arms, “for always being there to save me. You really are my Hero.”

I felt his chin dip as he smiled, “I’ll always be your hero.” That was the truth. He would always be my Hero and I knew that.

 

After the whole ordeal was settled Rylan and I went back to Miami one more time and that was to pack our things. We were retiring. We finally settled in Lincoln City, Oregon. We lived our lives together without using our powers (Except for personal gain of course). Eventually I went back to school and got my degree in psychology. For the rest of my life I planned on being my own kind of Hero. Child abuse was a big problem for my family so I wanted to prevent it for every other family. That’s what I did. Rylan continued is medical work and I did my own. By the end of 10 years I had almost completely forgotten about the Oresons until one day I got a most regrettable phone call.

***

The Oresons home was decorated and designed beautifully for the service. Chairs were all around in the main room; each one looking toward the main focus�"the casket. The funeral directors took our coats and Rylan lead me with a firm hand on the small of my back. My feet tried to stop me. This was something I didn’t want to see, something I knew I couldn’t handle. When we drove up most of the cars were gone and now I could see only the family was left. Most of them were huddled around the refreshment table talking to their better halves. The dark casket lay perfectly perched underneath the fireplace mantle. My attention went to the front row of dark chairs that had been brought in for the viewing. Phoenix sat in the chair closest to the aisle. His face was turned up towards the casket. His hand was gripping a white handkerchief and tears were rolling from his face.

My heart dropped when I saw him there. Justin walked up to us with a smile. He followed my gaze and then turned back around. “He’s been that way since it happened. He thinks somehow he caused it.” Rylan and I both nodded. “He’ll be glad you came.” Justin wasn’t talking about Rylan and me together. He was talking about me separately. My throat swallowed hard and strangely. Justin walked back to the group of his family.

Rylan followed him with his eyes and recognized his sister in the corner, “Talk to him.” Rylan said softly. His supple lips touched the top of my temples and with one last push from his shoulder he walked off. His hair bounced in tight curls behind his head. A few years ago he had finally cut it short and now it hung a little over his ears covering the tattoos printed behind his ears. His long strong legs carried him over to the crowd where he was greeted with many different hugs. My hand shook in my dark pockets as I walked to the front of the room. First I visited the casket.

My hand went onto hers and I leaned into her pail face. She was in her Hero suit, just like she would’ve asked for. “You were the best mom anyone could ever have, Eileen.” Her cold body froze mine to the bone. I lifted my hand and stepped away from her. For a minute I stood looking at all the pictures they had placed around her and on the mantel piece. Before I turned I spoke to Phoenix, “I’m sorry for your loss.”

He tried to sniff away tears but it didn’t work. I spun on my heels and faced him. He was picking at his nails around the handkerchief. My knees bent and I kneeled in front of him. His silver eyes shot to mine as I grabbed his hands and pushed them together between mine. “Phoenix you didn’t do this and you know that.”

“How can you be so sure?” He started to sob and I continued to hold his hands. I was about to speak when he started again. “She gave up you know? The minute my dad was dead she didn’t want to be alive anymore.”

“Well wouldn’t you feel the same if something happened to Justin?”

He talked a little quieter, “Of course and I would’ve hated you if you were the one to take him away.”

In that moment I realized what he meant. “Phoenix sweetie, she understood what had to be done.”

“Would you?” he paused a moment, “Did you?”

I shook my head, “No.” I answered truthfully, “But when my father and Jerry both went I understood then. Sometimes bad things happen to good people.”

“Screw you Collin.” Phoenix stood up and started to leave.

My hands grabbed tighter and they wrapped around his wrists pulling him closer to me. His eyes snapped even wider with surprise, “You listen to me Phoenix Larsen Oreson. You are one of the most amazing people on this planet. Look at all the lives you have saved throughout your many years and look at all the people that love you.” One of my hands left his wrist and I forced his head to turn and look at the group of people standing in the corner. Both Justin and Rylan were watching us carefully. Slowly I turned his head back to mine, “And I love you Phoenix. I always have and I always will.” A smile crossed my face and I spoke even softer, “You were always my first and nothing will ever take that away.” I used the words that he had spoken to me man years ago.

A tear ran down his cheek and I pushed our lips into each other’s. Sparks flew as they once did and I felt the almost weightless motion that I felt. When I pulled away my eyes snapped to Rylan who was already walking toward me with Justin close on his heels. Phoenix looked deep into my eyes. As Rylan came close I stood and let go of Phoenix’s wrists. He stood with me and faced Justin as he approached. We separated and both grabbed our loves in our arms. Rylan’s warm body comforted my frozen bones as he held me. And I knew it then I had truly found myself and my pure happiness. That was something people search for their whole lives and never find. Here in my arms was the best thing that has ever happened to this universe and he loved me. Phoenix and I both pulled away from our others and together at the same time said to them, “I love you always and forever.”



The End.. 



© 2010 Katie Wan


Author's Note

Katie Wan
I love you guys.. Keep reading more. :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

549 Views
Added on August 23, 2010
Last Updated on August 23, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan