Chapter 36

Chapter 36

A Chapter by Katie Wan

I stood in the kitchen shirtless with only some lime green Shorty shorts on. I had gotten them from a marathon a few years back. It’d been a month since my father passed. He now sat in the office on top of the book case until we decide where to spread his ashes since my mother was shipped to the west coast to be buried with her family that didn’t approve of my father. Some loud obnoxious music was playing over the radio and I was dancing around while making some type of spiced chicken for dinner. Rylan came in from the garage to see this strange scene and just laughed. He walked to the office to drop things off when someone rang the doorbell.

                I wiped my hands on a towel and ran for the door completely forgetting that I was just in underwear, basically. I slid the door open to two familiar faces. An older Jo Lee and Ryder stood in front of me. Ryder’s dark hair was cut short with grey poking its way out on the side. His frame had gotten a little broader but he seemed to be getting thinner with age. Bags hung under his eyes and his skin was a little more tan than what he used to be. His silver eyes looked at me under square thick rimmed glasses. He wore a black polo shirt with silver slacks and dress shoes.

                Jo was more beautiful than ever. Her twenties were doing her good. Her black hair was still as thick and as full as before. Her beautiful Spanish skin had darkened in the Hawaiian sun which set off her beautiful blue eyes. Her face had filled out beautifully and her cheek bones stayed high and carried the perfect amount of pink on them. Her tiny body was still as small as I remember and when I wrapped my now large arms around her she seemed even smaller. I was careful when my arms were around her. I tried not to completely crush her.

“Collin” I wasn’t used to the name Collin anymore. It took me a minute to realize that she was talking to me. “You look great!” She chimed loudly in the doorway. I looked down and that’s when I realized what I was wearing.

                “Collin,” Rylan’s voice came from the hall behind me. I turned and he threw some pants at me. “Put those on.”

                Jo looked up and down at me, “You look so different sweetie.”

                I nodded, “I know.” I was actually as amazed as she was. I stuck my hand out to Ryder. “It’s good to see you again.” I said and he nodded in return. I stepped back and let them into the house. They came and sat on the couches together. Ryder put his arm around Jo and she put her hand on his thigh.

                She smiled as I sat. “I heard about your father. I’m sorry.”

                I looked at her. Life had gone a different way I had almost forgotten. “Oh, that’s not why you’re here is it?”

                “No,” she continued to smile.

                I sighed. “Good, he was cremated and didn’t have a service.”

                She looked at me carefully, “You’re alright to talk about this?” I nodded to answer her. “You really have changed.”

                A smile crossed my face and a hand touched my shoulder and a thumb grazed my neck, “He’s been amazing. He’s actually been taking care of me and helping me through it. I was the one who didn’t actually take it too well. ” Rylan bent down and kissed my jaw. He walked around the couch and hugged Jo and then shook Ryder’s hand.

                He had showered before he came out and his ringlets were tightly wound. He grabbed the wet curls and pulled them back into a pony tail. “My mother was telling me that you were the surgeon for Collin’s dad.”

Rylan nodded, “I did a great job didn’t I?” No one got the humor. I didn’t know if there was any.

                “He did wonderful. A lot of his procedure’s helped my father to stay alive a lot longer. I think this time my father was just ready to go. He got pretty sick towards the end.” I stood up for Rylan considering he wouldn’t do it for himself.

                Jo looked at me brightly. “You’re so amazing.”

                I couldn’t help but blush. Rylan stroked my cheek, and my attention was fully on him. “Are those rings?” Ryder snapped taking my attention away from Rylan’s closeness. When I turned Rylan’s hand went to the back of my neck and he proceeded to rub it as I spoke.

                “Yes they are.” I answered and Jo’s face lit up.

                She practically jumped up in her seat. “Collin I’m so happy for you.”

                “Thanks.” My neck finally relaxed from its tense state. Rylan grabbed my hand and massaged it with his strong fingers. “So why are you in town? Are you just visiting your parents?”

                “No,” she shook her head with the words, “I just graduated.”

                My eyes spread open wide. Had it really been that long? “Congratulations Jo, that’s amazing.”

                “I know. I got a job teaching in Miami so we are back for good.”

Ryder’s eyes were staring at Rylan who now was sitting impatiently as if he wanted them to leave. I looked at Rylan whose eyes shot straight at me. I turned my head embarrassed at what he wanted “Do you want to stay for dinner?”

                Rylan sighed and leaned back in the chair. Ryder did the same. Jo looked at him and my eyes shot to Rylan. Jo whispered to Ryder something and I glared at Rylan who sat back up. He brought our faces close together and kissed me. I smiled when he pulled away and leaned back against the couch. Jo spoke for her and Ryder. “We’re having dinner with my new bosses tonight. But tomorrow, we were wondering if maybe you would like to come out to dinner? We’re having a big kind of get together with siblings and parents. We’d like for you to come.”

                I looked at Rylan who in turn looked at me. He gave me a simple nod which gave me the answer. “We’d love to.”

                “That’s wonderful. Well we better get out of your way. It’s quite obvious that we’re interrupting something.”

                I glared up at Rylan who shrugged. I looked back over at Jo and smiled through the awkwardness, “You aren’t. I don’t know what his problem is.”

                Jo laughed, “I know what you mean.”

Ryder and Jo stood up and walked toward the door. “We’ll see you tomorrow then,” Jo said and they walked out the door. When he knew they were gone Rylan turned to me and unbuttoned my pants and they fell to the ground showing off my lime green shorts.

                “I like that much better. Now go cook me my dinner.” I laughed and so did he. I did as he ordered and walked into the kitchen. He walked into the kitchen with me and as I made a salad he wrapped his arms around me and rested his chin in the middle of my shoulder blades. His hands ran up and down my torso over each muscle that had been strategically worked out. When the salad was finished I spun in his arm and wrapped mine up around his neck. His face was very serious as he looked at me. “You mean the world to me.”

                His nose ran up and down my jaw. I tilted my head back and he kissed down the side of my neck. Chills ran up and down my body as his lips connected with my skin. No one ever made me feel so wanted and special more than Rylan did. I knew I did the same for him. Being with him was pure magic and this moment was pure magic.

                Dinner ended up being short that night, and we spent a beautiful night together.



© 2010 Katie Wan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

472 Views
Added on August 23, 2010
Last Updated on August 23, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan