Chapter 38

Chapter 38

A Chapter by Katie Wan

The news played loudly on the television. The words echoed through the seemingly empty house. Rylan was in the kitchen preparing things before Ryder and Jo came over. I could hear classes and silverware clanging around in the kitchen. I still sat on the couch watching the news. Every news station was talking about Phoenix’s return. Apparently during the day he was seen out with his brothers and sisters going shopping and talking to different paparazzi and cameramen. They showed images of him smiling and laughing. I didn’t miss it I hated it. I wanted to so badly to jump through the screen and rip that stupid smirk off his face. The pain turned into a dull roar but it was still there�"constantly there. A blanket was wrapped around me and I watched as people tried to tell the future. Would Phoenix bring back his father’s fame? Would he take over the dynamic duo of Shadow Sniper and Silver Smoke? Was that a ring on his left hand?

What? I looked closer and thought about it for a moment. When he walked in it was hard not to notice that bright glittering ring on his left hand. Engaged? That word ran over and over in my mind. Where did he go? Was it a man or a woman? There were too many questions. I began to hyperventilate. Rylan sat down a plate of cups of coffee on the table in front of me. He took a mug and handed it to me, “Drink it.” I took the warm mug into my hand.

                I took a sip of the drink. It wasn’t anything like coffee. The alcohol stung in a soothing manner down my throat. I coughed, “This is Whiskey.”       

                Rylan nodded and grabbed his own glass. “Yes it is. You deserve it.” I sipped at the whiskey silently as Rylan rubbed my back. “Are you bleeding?” He looked at my forehead. I took my extra hand and ran it across my forehead a cut was sitting right above my left eyebrow. It must’ve been when I hit the table earlier. I didn’t use my powers to heal it yet. I actually didn’t even notice the pain. 

                Rylan stood up and walked to the kitchen. I heard a car pull up and the doors slam shut. Footsteps rang on the wooden porch. No one knocked but Ryder and Jo stepped in. They closed the door behind them. My eyes looked up from under my eyebrows and watched them. They looked at the TV to see what I was watching. I quickly shut it off. Rylan walked back from the kitchen with a wet washcloth. “Come on in and have a seat.” He said and continued straight for me. He sat on the table in front of me. I flinched against the cold cloth as he washed away the dried blood.  My powers flicked on. The heat filled my forehead. I felt the skin and bone mold back together. “That’s going to scar.” Rylan said as he wiped away the red residue dripping from my forehead. 

“Wonderful,” I sighed and leaned back on the soft couch.

                Ryder cleared his throat behind me. Rylan started talking, “We’re not sorry for anything. We have to keep our identity secret. You of all people should know that.”

                “I know all too well. You should’ve known that we would’ve understood.”

                Rylan laughed, “I’m actually surprised you didn’t figure it out sooner than you did. I’ve met you before.”

                “What?” Jo, Ryder, and I shared the same word.

                Rylan cleaned the last spot on my forehead and set the cloth down on the table. He stood up and kissed exactly where the cut had been. The kiss was a lot longer than seemed normal, but just right for my mood of the night. He spun to sit on the couch next to me and put his arm around my waist, “When you were in Khtulu.”

                “How do you know about that?”

                Rylan laughed a little chuckle, “My name is Ryszard Khtulu, not Rylan Khorry.”

Ryder’s eyes got wide, “You’re a Khtulu?”

                “The direct descendent of Keolamauloa Khtulu.”

                Jo looked around, “What does that mean?”

                Ryder spoke and answered the question on everyone’s mind, “When I ran away I went to the school for Heroes. The school is on the island of Khtulu. It’s off the shores of Hawaii. Non Heroes can’t see it or find it unless they’re taken there. About two hundred thousand years ago a great hero by the name of Keolamauloa Khtulu found an island and protected it with his powers. While alive he trained different superheroes on his island. Keolamauloa started the school and it’s been around ever since then. When Keolamauloa died he passed on his special powers to protect the island they’re passed onto the first born son of every generation when they die they pass it onto the next heir.”

All eyes went onto Rylan who spoke proudly, “That’s me.”

                “Why aren’t you on the Island?”

                He smiled, “I had something more important to take care of.”

                Ryder looked confused, “But the powers have to be on the island at all times.”

                “My younger brother has them.”

                My eyes went to him, “He’s not an heir.”

                His eyes shot to the ground then back up to my face, “I lied. He’s not my half brother. He is my blood brother. I have to protect him, if people find out he has the powers then he’s dead.”

                “Why will he be dead?” Jo seemed to be just as confused as I was.

                Ryder answered this question from Jo, “The Villains.”

                The Villains, they ruin everything. I grabbed Rylan’s knee and pulled myself closer into him, he cuddled me tighter as I did this. “Why didn’t you tell me?” Jo whispered over to me, obviously hurt.

                “I should be asking you the same question.” She knew I was referring to her recent engagement. She let a whole year go by before telling me�"that was hurtful.

“It’s a different situation, mines so much less drastic than yours.”

                I looked up at Rylan, and he knew I was hurt, he felt it. “I had to get my life back into order with no outside sources. I was a complete mess. I was dying, in more than one way.”

                Rylan’s lips pressed into the back of my head as I fought with Jo. My eyes shot daggers straight into her. I wanted her to feel the pain she was causing me right now. Rylan’s hand pinched my bicep on the other side of my body and I sunk into his chest. We both leaned back on the couch and I curled my legs up into his lap. He pulled them tighter into his body and slowly ran his hand up and down my exposed skin.

                “Well I’m sorry,” I finally said to her. “I was in a bad spot and didn’t really know who I could trust. When he came along I felt it would be better if I just kept this to myself.”

                She nodded, “I can understand that. I’m sorry, I was wrong.” She was and I agreed with her. So was I for not telling her.

                My arms wrapped around Rylan’s torso and I pulled myself into him. My head rested on his chest. Ryder and Jo didn’t seem so nervous about this anymore. Jo actually let out a little smile when Rylan kissed the top of my forehead. “You completely put my father out of business.” Ryder said sternly.

                This time Rylan spoke. “We are sorry about that…” He paused. “No, actually we’re not that was what we had planned from the beginning.”

“Thank you.” That was a shock. “You changed my whole family’s lives. He is home more and stressed less.” I could tell that Ryder was actually very grateful for all that we had done.

                “You’re welcome then,” I boasted proudly. I was more than happy to take his father off the streets.

                “We don’t want to keep you too long, but Saturday we’re having a really big get together at my old hotel lobby and ballroom. It’s like an engagement party for Phoenix and us.”

                “So Phoenix is engaged?” I asked solemnly. Both Jo and Ryder nodded.

                “He’s a great guy. We really got to know him while we were in Hawaii. I’m sure you’ll love him also. Phoenix is happy.”

                I looked up at Rylan who was watching me carefully gauging my reaction. “So am I.” I said and smiled up at him. Butterflies ran through my stomach as I realized I had won. He may be happy but he had nothing compared to what I had. “We’d love to come.”

                I looked at Jo for a moment then back up at Rylan. “That’s great!” she chirped loudly. “It’s a Hero party all the Heroes from around the world are invited. It’s going to be so interesting.”

                “You should end up being able to absorb a lot there. I’m sure you’ll have a good time.” Ryder added as if we needed more convincing. I already wanted to go and show Phoenix that I had won.. 

                Fear crossed Rylan’s face and he looked down at me and then snatched his gaze away to Jo and Ryder. “Is it Grecian themed?”

                “Ya,” Jo looked confused up at Ryder.

“We got invited the other day.” That answered the question that Rylan had. I didn’t remember getting an invite to anything. Rylan must’ve hid it from me knowing I’d worry about it.

                Jo stood up and took Ryder’s hand. “I’m glad we could talk.” Ryder said to us. We didn’t move I wanted to stay on this couch holding onto Rylan as long as I could.

                “We’ll see you Sunday.”

                They left the room and I wrapped my arms tighter around Rylan. I looked up at him as lovingly as I could, “I love you.” I whispered and put our lips together again.



© 2010 Katie Wan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

460 Views
Added on August 23, 2010
Last Updated on August 23, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan