Chapter 17

Chapter 17

A Chapter by Katie Wan

Jo picked me up for the game early. The seats would be packed and we wanted to be sure and stand with the popular crowd. As we drove up it wasn't hard to see where our team was sitting. The black and silver covered the bleachers. It looked almost like tiny black and silver waves as everyone tried to push their way to their seats. Jo and I looked at each other with excitement in our eyes. This would be a night to remember.

As we pushed our way through the crowd people yelled for us to stand by them but Jo and I kept walking up the stairs because we had a destination that needed to be found. As we got to the popular section every recognizable face stood in the stairs. Ryder stood ahead of us in the center of the stairs with his hands on his hips. Jo screeched and in her silver and black attire she ran up to Ryder and wrapped her arms around him. He smile brightly and squeezed her tight. “Hi baby.” He said with a giant amount of love in his voice.

Jo and Ryder were dating (officially) now. They saw each other as much as they could, especially at the football games. All the Oresons went to support Phoenix. Larsen, Ryder, and Victoria had all graduated from this same high school and they always enjoyed cheering on their alma mater. The rest of the family was more than likely sitting in the family section. Ryder slapped my shoulder and gave me a big warm smile. Slowly we moved into our row and slid between the familiar faces.

Every year at this game I would look up at the popular section and hope to be there. They were the fun crowd. They spent their time cheering for their best friends and making the game fun for everyone else. They cheered more than the cheerleaders could even keep up with. They even came up with their own cheers and started them through the whole entire crowd.

                Jo curled in Ryder’s arms and I stood next to them. We waited and chatted with everyone around us as we tried to contain our excitement for the game. I was beginning to feel comfortable in the crowd. I made a few jokes that people laughed at and I was beginning to feel like these people were actually my friends. They all had such happy faces on it made me wonder why I was so intimidated by them before. These popular kids were really people just like me. Sure, they had a lot more money but they seemed to be as average as anyone else. They were just trying to go through life the same as I was. They had no idea what their future held or what they would end up doing after high school.

 Finally the time came for the game of a century (or perhaps just this year) to start. The band began to march across the field playing our theme song. We all started to sing the words to the song. Truthfully, I didn’t know it. It was about fighting and winning something along those lines. The other band came from the other side and started walking towards our band. They played their song and the crowd across the way started singing their words�"showing the true meaning of battle of the bands. They played fierce songs as they marched closer and closer together. When the bands finally met each other then turned their separate ways and marched to the opposite sides of the field to their own home crowds.

Our crowd went crazy as the band approached us. The seats began to rumble as people pounded their feet on the metal bleachers. Our team came running out in two’s. They always run out holding hands with someone on their team. It promotes not just team work but family and that’s what keeps our team going. Pair by Pair they ran out to the center of their side lines. They piled together into a huddle and started yelling at each other. We screamed as loud as we could, trying to rile their energy up so that we would have a fast pace exciting game.

                I caught Phoenix’s number immediately. The silver number 6 was printed on the back of his black jersey�"that was the number he’d had since elementary school basketball. Jo pointed out the rest of our friends that played on the football team. The one I remembered was Justin his number was 3. Together Phoenix and Justin ran on hand in hand and stayed that way in the huddle. I was glad to see that nothing had changed between them after today’s awkward reveal at lunch.

The whole team ran to around their benches and a young girl from the Bear’s side walked out onto the field. As the star spangled banner started we stood still and faced the flag. The girl’s high soprano voice filled the speaker system beautifully. I looked down to see Phoenix in full concentration mode, along with Justin. They stood side by side and when the girl ended the song they grabbed each other by the helmet. Together they talked making their teamwork stronger. Photographers snapped pictures of the close moment. They held each other’s face masks and talked closely. When they pulled apart their arms were wrapped around each other. When their bodies separated Phoenix looked up into the crowd. When he finally caught my eye he pointed up at me and a bright smile crossed his face. My finger touched my lips and I blew him a small kiss�"small enough that no one would notice. He and Justin grabbed hands once more and met with the other team’s captains. The referees watched as they shook the hands of the coaches and other players.

Justin and Phoenix backed away and took their spot on the side, with a loud buzzer the game was off. The special team ran out onto the field and with another rumble the ball was kicked. The crowds on both sides went wild. As the first quarter rolled on, Phoenix played great�"like he always did. Right off the back our school got a touchdown run by Justin. Pictures were snapped and scouts wrote down notes.

                After the touchdown Justin and Phoenix shared a little embrace. The team cheered and the defense went out. Justin and Phoenix cheered whenever the defense was out and when they played. They played hard, harder than I’d ever seen Phoenix work before.

The first half went by rather quickly�"faster than I had planned�"and halftime finally came. The team ran out and our cheerleaders and dance team took over the field. As they danced people around me cheered loudly for their friends and school mates. All I wanted was to see Phoenix run back onto the field and continue to run around. Ryder and Jo next to me started to make me jealous. I wanted him up here watching with me, with his arms wrapped around me keeping me warm like Ryder was doing for Jo.

That’s when I realized that Phoenix and I had to tell people about us. If we didn’t, we would really regret it. Living in a secret relationship cannot be healthy for anyone. Slowly but surely I had begun to realize that this fact. I hardly watched third quarter�"by that point I was freaking out.  What would people at school think? Would they kick us out of the “cool group?” Better yet, what would my parents think? My body shook and at that point the other team scored against us, tying up the score.

                The other side of the bleachers cheered loudly and our side just kind of hung their heads. Phoenix and Justin shared a look. I knew that they weren’t happy about the turn of events just as much as we weren’t. Even with the sudden game change they ran out onto the field and started playing where they were needed.

In the last play of the third quarter a kid from the Bears side stayed on the ground, he wasn’t moving… at all. All his coaches ran out, along with their medical trainers. Usually when this happened it was like a quiet relaxing time for the crowd. We could talk to our friends and not have to focus on the game. But something didn’t seem right about this one. This wasn’t a normal injury something was wrong. Both sidelines were on their knees showing respect for the wounded player�"like always. Phoenix watched carefully and I could tell he was having trouble staying still just kneeling there. Even he realized something was wrong. He began crawling on his hands and knees over to the jumble. Ryder next to me stiffened up and leaned toward the end of the row, waiting, and watching to see what Phoenix would do.

                The boy was still lying on the ground motionless. The ambulance waiting at the side was called on as the lights flashed both teams were called back to their sides so that their coaches could talk to them. Phoenix stood up and Justin pulled at his jersey trying to get him back to their sidelines. Ryder let go of Jo and started walking behind me to get to the center of the row. Out of the corner of my eye I saw Jackson and Veronica both stand up. Panic ran through both of the crowds and a sick feeling reverberated through my stomach. Ryder stood straight and lifted his head high off of his chest. “What’s going on?” I asked over the mumbles of the crowd.

Ryder’s eyes lit up and I saw each Oreson’s eyes also light up. “He’s done something to his neck, he can’t move.” Jo and I both gasped. This boy had received a large scholarship for being the starting quarterback. He could be paralyzed and lose his whole entire football career, maybe even his whole life. I heard that he was even signed to UCLA.

A large mass of people now formed a group around the wounded boy. Veronica walked onto the field holding Jackson’s hand. Gurneys came from the back of the ambulance and started rolling towards the boy. Parents from the other school began to panic�"the boy’s parents mostly. Veronica picked up speed in her high heels and Jackson kept up right behind her. The pair went into the center of the group and started talking to the people around them.

Ryder watched carefully making sure to protect his sister and soon to be brother in law. The crowd yelled at each other and tried to figure out what could be done to help this boy. Veronica busted out of the group with Jackson right behind her. Just as she did Phoenix started walking across the field. Ryder this time stood on top of the seat behind us.  “He won’t let Veronica help him. Or the EMT’s�"he wants Phoenix.”

                Suddenly Phoenix picked up speed. He pulled off his helmet and threw it to the ground. Cameramen followed him across the field as they realized what was going on. Jackson and Veronica came back towards the stands and some people clapped for them and their effort to help. Veronica hurried off the field and passed the team. Each player patted her on the shoulder as she walked by in her high stilettos.

Phoenix ran over to the group of people and the large mass of people surrounded him. He kneeled down and I couldn’t see him anymore. Camera’s lights flashed brightly over the mass. The crowd stood on their toes looking and hoping to actually see something. As the flashes became faster and the tension became thicker I almost couldn’t handle it. Inside of me something was bubbling and my hands cupped up over my mouth.

                Butterflies flew threw my stomach. In my mind the memories of his healing poured through. They way his hands would touch me and warm. No more pain would come from my body�"I would be perfectly healed�"and so would the boy. My man is a Hero. The crowd parted around Phoenix and the boy stood with the help of my Hero’s strength. Both crowds erupted in cheers as they saw the suddenly healed boy. The boy wrapped his arms around Phoenix, who accepted the hug graciously. He cupped the side of the boy’s head and kissed his forehead. Phoenix whispered something to the coach and with a pat to the boys shoulders began to run to his side of the field. Our crowd cheered the loudest they had all night. If we didn’t win this game we all knew that at least we had good sportsmanship.

                Everything was alright so a sigh left my lips. Ryder’s eyes slowly dimmed back to their normal state indicating the end of communication between his family members. “He’s alright,” Ryder said just reiterating what I saw. I clapped my hands once in front of my face and looked up at Ryder. He smiled and tossed my hair. “Don’t get too worked up bud�"He’ll be fine. I’ve got his back.”

                That was true. After the field had been cleared of all emergency personnel the game went back to normal. Everyone again got their head back into the game as they focused on the sidelines. Justin hit the back of Phoenix’s helmet as they ran out onto the field. No one scored for the rest of the quarter and most of the 4th. It was down to three minutes and the score was still tied. The crowd became very nervous as the clock ticked down. My foot tapped at the metal benches below me impatiently. I couldn’t wait for the end of this quarter it was too much. I kept feeling the disappointment Phoenix would feel if he lost. It’s our senior year and it has to be the best year of all�"right? The flesh over my lower lip sounded in pain when I bit it a little too hard. I needed to just take a deep breath and relax.

                It was fourth down with almost ten yards to go. If they didn’t make this play work they would have to kick the ball back to the other team. To everyone’s surprise they didn’t kick the ball away. Instead the coach decided to pass�"one of the most daring calls ever made.

Finally, when there was one minute left on the clock, Justin broke free from the pack and leapt for the end of the field. Phoenix immediately caught it and with the flick of his strong right arm threw a forty yard pass. Justin ran straight for it and with his hands perfectly cupped, caught it. As he landed on the ground he took off running with a Bear player right behind him. The crowd roared furiously as he ran closer and closer to the end zone. The Bear player got closer and closer with every step. Justin kept looking behind him to see the boy picking up speed. Phoenix ran after Justin with the rest of the team.  A giant gasp filled the air as the Bear behind Justin leapt for him just about three yards away from the end zone.

A large pile of players jumped on top of Justin as he fell making sure they stopped the ball from moving forward. No one knew if he had actually made it across the line. Referees ran up to the pile and slowly people began to pile off. We sat impatiently waiting for the call to be made. Gradually the large heap of people on top of Justin got smaller and when a referee finally saw where the ball was both his arms went up in a touchdown signal. Our crowd went ballistic with cheers and shouts. The team leapt and jump around celebrating the touchdown victory. Phoenix picked up Justin and spun him around in the center of the field. The team completely surrounded him and hit him anywhere they could. Because that’s what football players do�"I guess?

I jumped up and down with excitement, along with everyone around me. Our band played our school fight song loudly as we cheered and screamed.  The other team hung their heads in defeat. Unless they could get a touchdown in the next 45 seconds we had won the game. The beating muscle inside my chest exploded into a fast sprint. We had done it�"we had won the biggest game in football history. 

We kicked the ball for the extra point and we’d won. There were about only two more plays after that before the time ran out. People flooded the field as we started to celebrate the victory. The other team and crowd sunk their heads and started leaving the stadium. I waited on the stairs for all the people to slowly move down to the field. The players jumped and yelped with each other as they celebrated the victory. They had gotten the spray paint cans and started spraying the football posts�"which was tradition.

Finally, after what seemed like hours, my feet touched grass and started walking toward the players. They had all separated and found their friends and family in order to celebrate. I had lost Jo and Ryder in the large crowd somewhere. But really my eyes only searched for one person. I pushed through pads and helmets trying to find where Phoenix. Justin walked up to me and patted my shoulder. “Great game Justin,” I said as he walked by with a bright smile on his face. Truly the game was fabulous. Justin proved why he was wanted by almost every college with a legit football team.

Justin knew I wasn’t trying to make small talk with him. He knew that only one person could actually be on my mind, “Keep going that way�"he’s up there.” Justin answered the main question on my mind. He patted my shoulder this time and walked off.

I pushed my way through people until I found an opening which gave me the most perfect view of all. Waiting there under the lights being, congratulated by his family, was Phoenix. Larsen raved about the game and was animated in describing all of the best passes of the whole game. Veronica stood behind Phoenix and rubbed his back with her eyes illuminated as Jackson acted along with Larsen. Ryder had met them with Jo still wrapped tightly in his arms. They laughed and smiled with the rest of the family as Larsen continued to cheer. The twins stood underneath Phoenix’s arms. They both had their arms wrapped around his waist.

The twins looked exactly alike and I couldn’t tell the difference between them. They both had dark hair and the same silver eyes as the whole family. They shared more of Phoenix’s body shape but you could tell that they had strength to them. Their silver eyes looked up at Phoenix under dark eyebrows. Anyone could see that they really looked up to Phoenix.

Jazz stood next to her mother, Eileen, with their arms wrapped around each other. I’d never actually seen Eileen, before. She was a hero herself, the time traveler. She’s the one who gave them all that power. A sweet smile covered her face making her appear very beautiful, not as much as Veronica or Jazz, but she had a great look. She had a lighter almost tan brown hair color, which is why Phoenix had lighter brown hair compared to the rest of the family. Her thin frame exposed the reason for all the smaller Oresons. Smaller in size, but not height, than Jazz she looked almost perfect for her age. Her silver eyes shone proudly over Phoenix�"a proud mama.

They chatted away loudly and Phoenix laughed. I just stood and watched the close family moment�"I knew they didn’t have many of them. Jazz looked over to me and gave me a smile and a little wave. That turned Phoenix’s attention over to me. As Larsen talked Phoenix’s face turned to me and he completely zoned the old man out. Sweat poured from his hair onto his face from the physical exhaustion of the sport. His cheeks were tinted red and he desperately looked like he needed some water. Still Phoenix Oreson could pass as the most attractive being on this planet.

His arms came unwrapped from the twins and he walked to me as Larsen still talked. They all, including Larsen, stopped as Phoenix walked away from the group. His father called out to him, but Phoenix’s attention stuck onto me. Every pair of silver eyes fixed onto me, including Phoenix’s.

This perfect man came closer and the hair on my arms stood straight up. A large smile crossed his face and he stopped in front of me. His hands went to the side of my face. He had apparently had the same revelation I had, had earlier in the game. “Congratulations,” I said to him like a nervous little child looking for an autograph or something. Somehow his smile got brighter and his face shifted closer to mine.

“You’re mine, and I want the world to know.” Phoenix spoke slowly and distinctly. Slowly his face went to mine. Our lips wrapped around each others with great passion. His arms wrapped around me and dipped me low to the ground. Some people gasped but I kept my hands on his chest holding onto his football pads for support. As his lips pressed into mine fiercely a few of his teammates started to clap, whistle, and yell like a pack of wild dogs. He pulled away from me and looked straight into my eyes. “Don’t let me let you go.” 



© 2010 Katie Wan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

That's about as exciting as football can get for me. XD I actually didn't lose interest while reading that part, which is strange.

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

566 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on February 22, 2010
Last Updated on August 23, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan