Chapter 43

Chapter 43

A Chapter by Katie Wan

My body flipped and flopped all night long. I think through the whole night I slept about an hour and a half. I wrapped a blanket around my body and opened up the sliding glass door. The sun was set to rise in about fifteen minutes. The black sky already had a yellow tint to it. I sat against the window and watched as inch by inch the golden ball of light peeked out over the surf. When the whole sphere had appeared I closed my eyes and leaned my head against the window. The waves crashed into the beach loudly blocking out all other sounds around me. A light breeze whipped at my face releasing some of the hair off my head. The loose strands tickled at my forehead. I looked up at the unruly hairs and blew them up, only to have them return within seconds. Rylan would usually get those strands out of my face. He hated when my hair covered my forehead or eyes.

I shoved my hand out of the warm blanket nest I had made and pushed the hair back. One single strand broke free. My fingers tangled around it and in frustration I pulled at it as hard as I could. My hair was stronger than I thought. When I pulled my whole head moved forward and when I let go my whole head returned to its normal spot. In consequence my head slammed against the glass behind me. A scream broke free from my lungs and with my fist I punched the glass behind me. Shards of the glass fell all around me some cutting my neck and head. Blood gushed from my hand where a few thin pieces of the clear element were stuck. I didn’t have the energy to use my powers. One by one with the help of my other hand I pulled the pieces from my hand, neck, and head. It was a painstaking procedure but the physical pain felt a whole lot better than the emotional hurt radiating through my body. When I felt that sting I knew that somehow I was still alive.

Surprisingly no one seemed to notice the crash and I continued to sit and stare at the ocean. I don’t really know how long I did. It felt like hours and I’m sure it was. A soft hand touched my shoulder, “Was there a tornado?” Tex was standing behind me with Jazz and Eileen. My eyes glanced around to look at the devastation I had done.

“My hair was being unruly.” The three of them walked around the broken glass and stood in front of me. Tex bent at his knees and looked me in the eye.

“Shiloh, are you alright?” I liked that he called me Shiloh. It somehow seemed easier for him too. I guess it’s because Tex hates Collin as much as I do.

I sniffed away a tear. Finally for the first time in a long time I answered truthfully, “No, I’m the furthest thing from alright.” I paused to look up at all of them, “I need help.”

Tex helped me up and brought me into the room. The three of them sat me on the bed and I crumbled up like a brown paper bag. The trio stood around the bed and stared at me. I don’t think any of them had ever seen me like this. Eileen made the first move. It was too my side. The bed bent slightly as her body sat next to me. She leaned back on her elbow and stroked the hair out of my face. “Jazz, why don’t you help him decide what to wear? Tex, will you run to the lobby and get him some breakfast.”

Jazz and Tex nodded together and both went off to their duties. Tears warmed my cold cheeks and I rolled onto my side. Jazz found my bags and started going through them. She picked out different colors of shirts and pants. Eileen still stroked the hair away from my face. As Jazz pulled out clothes Eileen whispered closely to my ear. “I know exactly what you are going through. I too lost my husband, although it was a long time coming. I’ve lost both my parents in the recent years and I lost a son too.” She paused and looked at Jazz who was still folding clothes out onto the dresser in the room. “Justin told us what happened. I should’ve been speaking to you all along. Only you and I know what it’s like to lose everything and people like us should stick together.”

My body turned and I rolled over onto my side. As I lifted my arms I realized how thin they had become. The emaciated arms wrapped around Eileen’s tiny frame. She let me hold her and cry into her lap. Jazz stood at the edge of the bed shifting her weight uncomfortably. Soft hands rubbed at my back and realized Tex had returned back into the room. I sniffed away some more tears and rolled myself back onto my back. I sat up between Tex and Eileen. Jazz still stood at the end of the bed not really knowing what she was supposed to do. I sniffed and with a nasally after crying voice I said to her, “Show me the options.”

She smiled when she realized that I was alright. She ran over to the first pile of clothes, “No pants.” I added to her and she spun to glare at me. She walked to about the end of the piles on the dresser.

“That leaves you two options,” She spun and held up a shirt “Green shirt with brown shorts,” the shirt was returned and she haled up an ocean blue shirt, “Or blue polo with black underneath paired with some lovely black and blue shorts.”

I looked at the clothes she had in her hands, “That shirt belonged to Rylan.” Her eyes got huge and she shoved the shirt behind her. I laughed, “Its fine I wore his clothes when he was alive. They just might be a little big.” I thought a minute. Today I imagined I would be meeting Rylan’s family. I couldn’t hide for long on an island. “The blue,” I answered as cheerfully as I could.

I sighed and leaned back onto the bed. “I’m guessing someone will have to dress you too?” Tex smirked with a hint of laughter glittering in the back of his eyes.

I played along, “I was hoping you would actually.” The whole mood changed as they tried to decide what I meant by that. “I’m kidding. I’m pretty sure that I can dress on my own.” There was a sigh shared by everyone and I stood up. Tex’s hand grabbed my bicep and helped me up to my feet. Jazz handed me the pile of clothes and I walked into the bathroom.

After I dressed I walked back into my room. Everyone was sitting on the bed together. I landed face first across the bed and mumbled gibberish into the comforter. “Do you know where we’re going today?” Eileen asked softly.

I sighed and rolled over so they could understand me, “I’m guessing I’m meeting his family today?”

They didn’t need to answer. My body shook with fear and anxiety already. There was a light rap at the door. Eileen stood and opened the door. Phoenix’s proud face stuck in the crack. He stepped in with an angry Justin attached to his hand. Ryder and Jo were shortly behind them. Everyone stood in my room staring at me. They were all a little tentative when they asked, “Are you ready to go?”

I looked at every eye in the room and nodded. “I think so.”

Phoenix smiled, “Well let’s go.” There’s nothing like giving me time to prepare, huh? The door opened and people started one by one walking out. That’s when the panic hit me. Everything seemed to speed up and I couldn’t keep my focus. My chest tightened and pain seemed to center into my racing heart. My hand clutched at my chest and my fist squeezed the comforter tight.

Everyone else was focused on their significant others they hardly noticed. Tex looked down, “You know you can do this.” He whispered into my ear. I couldn’t do this, I couldn’t. I always imagined this moment being with Rylan. Tex glared at me and grabbed my hands, “I’ll make sure you do this.” I looked up into his serious eyes. What did that mean? I soon found out. He pulled my wrists into his chest and slipped his arms under my body. He curled me into his chest and stood up.

I fought against his movements with every step. My feet kicked and beat away over Tex’s arms but he kept pulling me tighter and tighter into his chest. Now my focus was on getting out of Tex’s arms and back onto the floor. We left the room and he froze. He dropped his arm and my feet fell to the ground. I shoved his chest when I was on the ground but his gaze didn’t waver from where it was set. I followed the unmovable sight line and came upon something I didn’t expect.

A large mass of new people stood in the hall way staring at our large mass of new people. It looked almost like a battle of large masses of people. In the center of their mass was the main center of attraction. The woman stood with her shoulders back and looked down to us with a slight smile on her face. She shared the skin of most of the people from the island along with the white hair, but the minute I saw her eyes I knew who she was. The dark grey balls waved over each of our faces. She wore a bright blue what seemed like a sun dress. Her long white hair hung low over her shoulders and curled all round her face. Rylan had her nose. I could see it almost instantly. It was so thin and long and set perfectly in the center of her face. Her white eye lashes and eyebrows stood out against her very tan skin. She had a thinner jaw than Rylan had but it was still strong and powerful.

She stepped forward and the whole mass of people behind her followed. They each shared the same qualities of the natives on the island. Not all had curly hair but they all shared the same white or light grey hair. Only one other girl stood next to Rylan’s mother. She held her mother’s hand shyly. Her thick curly hair hung lower than her mothers, almost all the way to her waist. She wore a shorter blue dress with a pair of white flip flops. She was a very beautiful young girl. She looked a little younger than Tex. I think he noticed that too. His gaze was affixed onto her. His mouth hung open and almost was drooling. Her cheeks flushed pink as she noticed him staring.

Phoenix stepped forward and a young man stepped in front of Rylan’s mother. He was about the same size as Rylan and the resemblance almost knocked me to my knees. His hair was kept much shorter to where it curled only about an inch over his forehead. The crease in his brow even matched Rylan. My eyes looked over him carefully to make sure it wasn’t actually Rylan. I knew it wasn’t by a scar the man had under his eye across his right cheek bone. He wore only grey shorts. His bare chest stuck out proudly as he protected the important woman.

Rylan’s mother turned to the man guarding her, “Haulani its fine. Thank you.” He stepped back eyeing Phoenix carefully. Phoenix took a few steps back.

“My name is Phoenix Oreson and this is my family.”

I stuck my shoulder behind Tex and sunk in behind him. I watched around his large shoulder to see what was going on. The woman stepped forward a little and presented herself proudly, “My name is Noelani Khtulu.”

Jazz gasped, “The queen?” She asked and all eyes went to her.

Noelani smiled. “Yes dear, the queen.”

Eileen spoke, “Please forgive us.” Everyone bowed at the waist including Tex leaving me completely exposed. The queen’s eyes went straight to me. Immediate recognition filled her body.

“Who is that man?” She pointed to me and Phoenix looked up.

Phoenix eyes shot to me and then back to the queen. “His name is Collin. Actually, it’s Collin Khtulu.”

The queen’s eyes lit up, “My boys Collin?” She was asking me now.

I nodded slightly and she clapped her hands together. Her feet carried her forward. The Oreson’s split as she walked through them. The young girl walked with her along with the young man protecting her. When the young girl got closer Tex backed away far enough to only let the queen through. The young girl stood looking up at him and they didn’t shift their gazes. The young man tilted his head as he looked me up and down. The queen came straight to me and reached her hands out. Slowly I slid mine out in front of me and placed them in hers. She glanced down to my left hand where I still had my ring on. “He gave you the ring?” She asked and looked back up at me.

“Yes, and he had mine.” Her eyes went to the man next to her who smiled brightly.

“I’m surprised he actually found you.”

I nodded. I was surprised also. My tone got solemn and I looked down at our hands, “I’m sorry about him I tried to do all I could.” Her hands closed around mine and I looked up into her grey eyes.

“It’s alright. We know you did.”

A tear surprisingly appeared in my eye and rolled down my cheek. I picked my hand up and wiped it away. “I’m glad he found someone to love him.”

“Not near as glad as I am.” I chuckled and the queen smiled.

“He may have told you of us.” I nodded to answer her. She turned to the man next to her, “This is his brother and my son Haulani Khtulu.”

I held my hand out for him to shake. He of course was the brother with all the powers that protected the island. He looked down at my hand in a demeaning way. I shrunk it back into me and he stepped forward. His large arms wrapped around me. I returned the favor and he whispered into my ear, “It’s wonderful to finally meet you.”

When he stepped away I nodded to him. The queen continued, “And over here is my youngest daughter, Kei Khtulu.” The young girl took her eyes off at Tex for a moment to smile at me. The queen looked at me and sighed, “You know how it is.” I smiled. This wasn’t near as bad as I thought this would be. “I’m very grateful to call you my son in law, if you want to keep your name of course.”

“Of course,” I was amazed she’d even be asking. 

A bright smile filled her face she turned to the whole group around me. “Now, how would you like a personal tour around the Island?” 



© 2010 Katie Wan


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

488 Views
Added on August 23, 2010
Last Updated on August 23, 2010


Author

Katie Wan
Katie Wan

Idaho Falls, ID



About
My whole life is centered around writing. It was only a few years ago that I discovered my passion for it. I love coming up with stories and new characters. Writing is the most important thing in my l.. more..

Writing
Day Dream Day Dream

A Poem by Katie Wan


The War The War

A Poem by Katie Wan


Alone Alone

A Poem by Katie Wan